Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

‘The Sims 5’ hints of a massive multiplayer feature and new platforms *rumour*

From an Australian site this seems to be pure speculation if anything and not much that hasn't been discussed before so not really much in the way of a hint but possibly worth a read if it has not done the rounds already.

Worth to mention it seems that the 'multiplayer' hints here seem to be more on the writers own opinion and might not actually mean anything:

https://micky.com.au/the-sims-5-rumors-multiplayer/
Simbourne
screenshot_original.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Yeah, the article is a rehash of all the things that were discussed ad nauseam when that interview with Andrew Wilson came out (and ever since). Nothing new to see there.

Some valid points are raised: multiplayer games are popular, some players do want to be able to play that way (the multiplayer mod is maybe not the most popular but it's still got its fans), there are those who think it's definitely time for TS5.

But the bottom line is as you said: it's nothing but speculation at this point.
  • Options
    Chimp2678Chimp2678 Posts: 4,072 Member
    Unless I can choose to play as a single-player, I am not interested in it.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Yeah, the article is a rehash of all the things that were discussed ad nauseam when that interview with Andrew Wilson came out (and ever since). Nothing new to see there.

Some valid points are raised: multiplayer games are popular, some players do want to be able to play that way (the multiplayer mod is maybe not the most popular but it's still got its fans), there are those who think it's definitely time for TS5.

I can see that multiplayer games are popular but I am yet to see evidence that it would work in The Sims. As of yet it seems that no one is asking for it so I fear that 'rumours' of this kind might be trying to influence that method of gameplay
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    @Chimp2678 wrote: »
    Unless I can choose to play as a single-player, I am not interested in it.

Watch as a huge number of Simmers turn away if there is even a mention of not being able to play as single player!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options

I can see that multiplayer games are popular but I am yet to see evidence that it would work in The Sims. As of yet it seems that no one is asking for it so I fear that 'rumours' of this kind might be trying to influence that method of gameplay

The multiplayer mod existed way before that one interview, so yeah, there are people who are asking for it.

Whether it would work in The Sims is another thing. It would really depend on how it's implemented.

Online/multiplayer only? That's not going to go down well at all. The single player mode is a staple and I think making the next iteration only multiplayer would be a big mistake (and I'm not the only one, a huge amount of current players would not want that).

Two simultaneous projects (with a possibility of transfer of lots/Sims maybe) where one is online and multiplayer and the other is single player? That might work, but would probably require an expansion of the teams working on it for obvious time/man-hours/resources reasons.

A single player base with multiplayer elements? Collaborations possible via the Gallery, ability to build together, community areas (a la Sims Mobile) - things that are purely optional. That might work. It would inevitably come with complaints that the multiplayer parts are taking resources from single player.

I think ever since The Sims Online times (and Second Life and any other simulation that is/was online), there have been rumors and the potential for something multiplayer, in the community and in EA. With the increased popularity of games becoming a way to socialize, it's not going to be brought up less. Bringing it up this way is a chance for them to watch the response and see how the community sees it (no guarantees though, since the powers that be can still go ahead with whatever they think is right).

Personally, I am not a fan of the model that iOS/Android Sims has - needing to find friends to be able to do certain aspects of the game. I hope that's *not* the direction this is heading but rationally I think it might be (return of the store, fractioned packs for a higher price, microtransactions etc) because it's profitable. For me, the risks and costs are too high.
    (would you want to invest in a game that might disappear at the drop of a hat? it's happened to many a mobile game and it's infuriating)

tl;dr: there is some sort of demand for a multiplayer Sims game and whether it would or wouldn't work is something we might not know until it actually happens.

(apologies about the rambling, it's a topic that gets me thinking)
  • Options
    @darrenfroggy Interesting points. One of the concerns of there being two different versions running side by side is that one might dominate the other and both will be diverted resources away from each other. The series is still blighted by the Sim City 2013 scandal which Sim City has not recovered from. Players where forced online and that should never be allowed in The Sims.

If there is a multiplayer it must be a side project only at least to even test the waters. A gallery is no problem as that really works in a similar way to the old exchange so that feature it self has been proven to work but I do fear that even if there was two be two variants than prior to launch would their focus be on promoting multi player more? Would they favour those with more responses to multi player and answer those questions first? Would Twitter be awash with new multi player fans who would get all the updates first? If so then I think us single players will have a serious problem on our hands! :no_mouth:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    chons95chons95 Posts: 51 Member
    The problem I have with multiplayer (which I know doesn't apply to most) is that I use a shared account with my friends who play the sims 4 and with whom I'd like to play with but idk if it'll be possible to play with "me, myself and I" basically.
  • Options
    @king_of_simcity7 Agreed on both things.
    Forcing Sims players online would be a massive misstep and hopefully, the SimCity experience taught the devs that.

SimCity also fell (iirc) partly on the fact that the servers simply couldn't deal with the number of players. The stability of any online feature has to be a must, as well as the accessibility of servers for a big amount of potential players at all times. We've seen enough downtime of the existing online features (Origin, gallery, forums, etc) that this needs to be a big concern when it comes to development.

If the regular and online Sims are separate (however potentially connectable) games, it will absolutely come up that one is getting more or sooner. We see it with Freeplay vs TS4, not always in a reasonable way - they're made by different studios, require different coding, have been out for different amounts of time, have different upsides and downsides - where FP is brought up as "why don't we have this in TS4 yet?".
    We also see it with the differences between PC/Mac and consoles. The latter have been way behind on so many things, including base game release, but the team has progressed now to where the releases are almost parallel, which gives me hope for other similar issues that might crop up.

I think there's a way to bring some form of multiplayer to the franchise but without question, it needs to be optional and secondary to the single-player core.

(while they're at the musing over online features, I'd love to see them bring back to TS4, preferably without a time limit, the live quests that many players missed out on. But that's off-topic to this thread)
  • Options
    AedanStarfangAedanStarfang Posts: 272 Member
    edited May 2020
    I am not at all interested in multiplayer, I play games to escape life and other people so I have zero desire to 'socialize' in a digital platform. I was bummed when so many new updates and content went into Dragon Age's multiplayer aspect (which required further monthly subbing/payments if you are on console like I was - which is like paying for the same game multiple times), which I thought could have been better implemented into the base game but whatever. If TS5 happens to be online only I will avoid it, I have issues as it is with playing the TS4 and its constant need to be online for the gallery & DRM checks.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yeah with how they were going to try this MMO thing with the Sims 4 I am just tired of resources spent on failed online projects over the years. This would be their fifth attempt bringing online experience to Simmers. Even with the Sims Online the number of subscriptions was quite low, so it only fits a very small niche of the community that will actually play it. I know that is why the Sims 4 didn't get toddlers and still stuck with object babies and I rather not to through that again. Plus the Sims Online was 18+ so bye teenage Simmers if it is done.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    It's always pure speculation and I'm tired of people acting like "Somebody said something might happen if this happens!" is an actual fact.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    @Scobre wrote: »
    Yeah with how they were going to try this MMO thing with the Sims 4 I am just tired of resources spent on failed online projects over the years. This would be their fifth attempt bringing online experience to Simmers. Even with the Sims Online the number of subscriptions was quite low, so it only fits a very small niche of the community that will actually play it. I know that is why the Sims 4 didn't get toddlers and still stuck with object babies and I rather not to through that again. Plus the Sims Online was 18+ so bye teenage Simmers if it is done.

I am hoping that lessons would have been learnt and TS5 would be designed as an actual Sims game and not something that has been recycled
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    DarayaVahu777DarayaVahu777 Posts: 12 New Member
    People excited for The Sims 5 should look up specifications of these next-gen consoles, coz my guess most sim 4 players will need to get new pc if don't want a console, if your pc can't run sims 4 on ultra it won't sims 5 even on low, need to realize that for next gen games min requirements will be 8 core 16 thread CPU and 2.4GB/s NVME SSD and over 10 teraflops GPU and recommended even higher coz they can't optimize for pc as much they can for consoles :o
  • Options
    People excited for The Sims 5 should look up specifications of these next-gen consoles, coz my guess most sim 4 players will need to get new pc if don't want a console, if your pc can't run sims 4 on ultra it won't sims 5 even on low, need to realize that for next gen games min requirements will be 8 core 16 thread CPU and 2.4GB/s NVME SSD and over 10 teraflops GPU and recommended even higher coz they can't optimize for pc as much they can for consoles :o

I would not worry about that just yet. People still have time to update their PCs if they want to near the time.

I do think that in the long term modern PCs will be able to manage later releases as the jumps between advances are not quite as fast as they were ten to fifteen years ago
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    https://micky.com.au/author/jcastro/ is a "Digital marketer and nerd culture writer with an inordinate love for gaming and cooking. Reads medical journals regularly. Loves to read esotericisms and Lovecraft." I wonder if he gets secret, not-even-remotely-public info about games in development in the medical journals...
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    https://micky.com.au/author/jcastro/ is a "Digital marketer and nerd culture writer with an inordinate love for gaming and cooking. Reads medical journals regularly. Loves to read esotericisms and Lovecraft." I wonder if he gets secret, not-even-remotely-public info about games in development in the medical journals...

No idea. Is their a connection between medicine and The Sims that we have not picked up on yet? :D
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

No idea. Is their a connection between medicine and The Sims that we have not picked up on yet? :D

I suspect the question is more, is there a connection between Sims 5 speculation and reality.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

I suspect the question is more, is there a connection between Sims 5 speculation and reality.

Well all we can do is just speculate at the moment. Something is going on behind the scenes but we are always the last to know :(
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg