Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why don't I always get notified when someone quotes me in a thread?

Hi!

I have been posting a lot on the forum lately and I noticed I don't always get a notification when someone quotes my post.
Why is that?

Thanks in advance for your help!
👋🏻 Hi, my name is Domi / 📍 Brindleton Bay 💛Legacy Player 🔔FOLLOW ON: TWITTER / TUMBLR

Comments

• texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    If someone tags you and you have chosen to be notified (profile - notifications) you'll get it. But i think you can't choose to be notified for quoting you. You can, though, click in the star at the right top of any thread. Then you'll be notified when anyone comments on that thread (even if not quoting you).
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    The site doesn't have that option for us to check on or off on our preference page. Other members have asked the site moderators if it's possible for them to add that option only to be told that it's not an easy task to for them to do.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    telmarina wrote: »
    If someone tags you and you have chosen to be notified (profile - notifications) you'll get it. But i think you can't choose to be notified for quoting you. You can, though, click in the star at the right top of any thread. Then you'll be notified when anyone comments on that thread (even if not quoting you).
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    The site doesn't have that option for us to check on or off on our preference page. Other members have asked the site moderators if it's possible for them to add that option only to be told that it's not an easy task to for them to do.

Actually the site does have that option... it says "Notify me if someone mentions me in a comment" which quotes count as because they tag you (called a "mention").

But unfortunately its not working. I'm having the same problem. It used to work fine but it stopped working the majority of the time about 4-6 months ago. Maybe not for everyone, but for myself and a few others :( Definitely frustrating when having a conversation.

Actually the site does have that option... it says "Notify me if someone mentions me in a comment" which quotes count as because they tag you (called a "mention").

But unfortunately its not working. I'm having the same problem. It used to work fine but it stopped working the majority of the time about 4-6 months ago. Maybe not for everyone, but for myself and a few others :( Definitely frustrating when having a conversation.

@SimAlexandria, the thing is is that not all members use that method that you've mentioned as some claim that it's too much to do and so therefore they would like for the notification system to work when quoting someone's post without having to mention their name. Of course I'll copy the quote that I want and paste it under the mentioned persons name before posting my feedback to them as I like to make mention of others in the "What happened in your Sims 3 game today?" thread over in the TS3 GD section as I don't like make several posts just to give feedback.
    edited May 2020

@SimAlexandria, the thing is is that not all members use that method that you've mentioned as some claim that it's too much to do and so therefore they would like for the notification system to work when quoting someone's post without having to mention their name. Of course I'll copy the quote that I want and paste it under the mentioned persons name before posting my feedback to them as I like to make mention of others in the "What happened in your Sims 3 game today?" thread over in the TS3 GD section as I don't like make several posts just to give feedback.

I'm not sure what you are talking about actually, as I am not talking about any method in particular. All I'm saying is that we used to get notifications for it when we had that option checked, regardless of which method we used (either @ replies OR quoting) and now we don't. The forum system that did these notifications is broken and hasn't worked in a few months.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member

Oh i didn't know that! For me i think it never worked... :( or at least i never noticed...

I'm not sure what you are talking about actually, as I am not talking about any method in particular. All I'm saying is that we used to get notifications for it when we had that option checked, regardless of which method we used (either @ replies OR quoting) and now we don't. The forum system that did these notifications is broken and hasn't worked in a few months.

We never had the option for getting notifications when someone just quotes a post of yours. They only way that you would get a notification when someone does quote you is for them to use the "mentioned" in the post as well.

Here is a couple threads where some of the members wanting to be notified when someone quotes a post of theirs without having to use the @ mention in them.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16927116#Comment_16927116
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16954099#Comment_16954099

We never had the option for getting notifications when someone just quotes a post of yours. They only way that you would get a notification when someone does quote you is for them to use the "mentioned" in the post as well.

Here is a couple threads where some of the members wanting to be notified when someone quotes a post of theirs without having to use the @ mention in them.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16927116#Comment_16927116
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16954099#Comment_16954099

Yes but read the end post on one of them. The issue was fixed and we started getting that. It lasted almost a year that we were able to get notifications for quotes, I had those notifications many many times and there were several comments when the feature disappeared again approx 3 months ago. Maybe not everyone got them, maybe it depended on browser orsomething? I dunno. but I know I definitely got those notifications for some time before they stopped very suddenly.
  • GenerationSimmerGenerationSimmer Posts: 210 Member
    Thanks to all of you for responding!
    So it's not only my issue then :/

I think @SimAlexandria is right, cause I think it is supposed to be working. I didn't mention it at the start but sometimes I DO get notified if someone only quotes me and sometimes I don't. That's why I though it was weird and wanted to know why.

And I agree with you, @SimAlexandria
    It's really frustrating when you;re having a conversation on a thread, and even more if you have more conversations in more threads, like me.
    Every time, I have to go to my profile, my comments and click on every thread I have posted on to see if there was a reaction yet!
    👋🏻 Hi, my name is Domi / 📍 Brindleton Bay 💛Legacy Player 🔔FOLLOW ON: TWITTER / TUMBLR

This here is our settings for what notifications that we want to see on our account. And there is nothing on there that says to be notified when someone quotes us. There's only 2 ways that you're getting notified from is when someone quotes you is if you have "Notify me when someone comments on my discussions" and/or "Notify me when someone comments on discussions that I've participated in" checked off, which means if someone quotes you in your own thread, then you will be notified that someone has comment in your discussion or if you have the one checked off for any discussions that you've participated on where someone quotes you.
    Pc379n6l.png

I am not trying to argue with anyone but I've been on this site since if first opened in August 2014 and we have never had the option to be notified when someone quotes a post of ours. As I've said earlier that people have been asking for this feature to be added for some time now so that they don't have to tag that person in a post that they've quoted them in and again, the sites moderators have said that it's not an easy task to turn on. I really don't think that Vanilla who's the hosting site that EA pays to keep this forum on even has that option listed for them anyhow.

You are correct, the option was never there, but for awhile it was happening automatically in threads we didn't create. It started suddenly and stopped suddenly almost a year later. but it was very noticeable when it suddenly stopped. Hoping one day it can be readded.