Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hybrid Lots - Retail x Restaurant?

AyeffenAyeffen Posts: 258 Member
Hi all - so at the moment I'm working on a new, relatively small communal lot.

So far I have a small florist, beside a bistro/bar type lot on the ground floor. Just a small speak-easy type space for locals to meet and brunch, share a bottle of wine etc.

XlLtLqy.png

I'd like your thoughts on how I can make this lot work. To my mind, if I make it a retail business (for the florist), the adjoining bar would be for show only. If I make it a restaurant, the florist is purely decorative.

If it is a retail business owned by my Sim and I place a bar, I assume that they will have to hire a mixologist? Ideally I'd like for the bar to be something which exists for passing Sims to enjoy and not necessarily contribute at all to the actual retail business. I guess the alternative would be to run both at the same time which sounds super stressful. 😂

I suppose my goal is to create something a bit more "real-life" where lots of different businesses are close together, almost to the point of overlapping and giving it a more accurate street-feel.

Any tips from you guys would be very much appreciated.
1NraNSJ.png
My Gallery 🏠 | Gamer 🎮 | Husband 👬

Comments

• CangwenCangwen Posts: 220 Member
    That would be cool Also would be cool to have a cafe/bookstore, if they add bookstores, that is.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    You can put the vending machine that sells snacks and drinks. If you add a microwave sims can warm up a dish. Also, it's possible to place cooked dishes, cakes, icecream in the bakery displays and not set them for sale. Hungry sims will be able to grab a plate and eat from there.
  • AyeffenAyeffen Posts: 258 Member
    Cangwen wrote: »
    That would be cool Also would be cool to have a cafe/bookstore, if they add bookstores, that is.

Well you can definitely sell books with the Get To Work EP so I think that could work but again, without a functional cafe.
    crocobaura wrote: »
    You can put the vending machine that sells snacks and drinks. If you add a microwave sims can warm up a dish. Also, it's possible to place cooked dishes, cakes, icecream in the bakery displays and not set them for sale. Hungry sims will be able to grab a plate and eat from there.

Thanks for the pointers. I ended up making the area a bar and hiring a mixologist but the NPC's are oblivious to it. 🤦‍♂️

I'm reverting back to my original plan which was to make it a mixed play/relaxing space with the vending cooler and other things you mention. Wish me luck!

1NraNSJ.png
    My Gallery 🏠 | Gamer 🎮 | Husband 👬
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    edited April 2020
    If you aren't opposed to custom lot traits Little Ms Sam has some to create hybrid lots. I use these traits to create things like a restaurant or cafe on the ground floor and living quarters upstairs because we all know how space for building in the different worlds is precious.

https://littlemssam.tumblr.com/tagged/lot+trait
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Ayeffen wrote: »
    Cangwen wrote: »

Well you can definitely sell books with the Get To Work EP so I think that could work but again, without a functional cafe.

Just build a cafe with bookcases. Sims will drink coffee and leave with the books if they put them in the inventory instead of leaving them scattered around.