Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do I turn off - - -

I am the kind of player that want to decide for myself, if I need this or that Sims 4 pack. Wondering is there a way I can turn off the daily instant uppopping advertising for the packs I have decided NOT to install?

Comments

• DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I believe you can not do this. It is freaking annoying and it offends me as a customer.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    You can't.
  • Andyzhang2896Andyzhang2896 Posts: 58 Member
    Glad I didn't have this pop-up. Can't imagine I have to see occult packs that I don't like such as GTW, Vampire, Strangerville, ROM popping up all the time.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited April 2020
    I also don't have those pop ups people talk about... not that i want it (ha i don't!) but why does some players see it and others don't?
  • Andyzhang2896Andyzhang2896 Posts: 58 Member
    telmarina wrote: »
    I also don't have those pop ups people talk about... not that i want it (ha i don't!) but why does some players see it and others don't?

Some said the pop up only appear in certain places, maybe only in US.
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    No, also in Danmark where I live. And I don't know why some players don't have it. Does it depend on the settings in Origin?
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited April 2020
    It probably is regional and depends what your country allows for this type of advertising. I don't have it happening in my game, I'm in the UK. Sounds like Canadians don't seem to have it either.

It is annoying that people can't turn it off though. Some packs I don't have on purpose. That's supposed to be the beauty of this game, being able to customize it how I want it.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Try playing offline that should end all ads.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Try playing offline that should end all ads.

But it doesn't. And I still wonder, if there is a way to avoid it or turn it off.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    I'm in the UK and I definitely get the ads.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • ZebSimsZebSims Posts: 67 Member
    I'm seeing the pop-up ad every time I load up the game now when I used to only see it maybe once every 24 hours.

I hope EA/Maxis revert this "feature" of the main menu. The more the ad tries to sell me packs I don't want, the less inclined I am to buy anything from EA/Maxis.
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,835 Member
    edited April 2020
    I don't see ads. I assumed that it's because I play offline. I don't even get the ones that have been there for some time anymore - the ones you could flip through that had Maxis selected Sims and other info (that whole upper center section is now blank).
    I'm in the eastern US.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
    I'm in the UK and I definitely get the ads.

So am I and I have never seen one! This difference alone, clearly they have something going on, turning it on for some but not all. I don't have all the packs either so you would think they would want to turn that on for me? I am by no means saying I want it, I am quite glad to not be included in this, but it makes me wonder why, when it's clearly able to be turned on and off on their end, why we can't have a button on our end to turn it off?
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    Unless it's because I turned on in-game surveys or something, because of the community stuff pack. Yet every time I have still encountered the survey on the forums before I ever saw it in game.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited May 2020
    Recently, origin gave a message that discussed how they use cookies (to get your data). There was a way to opt out of some of what I viewed the most intrusive ways to get my information. I did not see the pop up ads until AFTER opting out of all except the required. My prediction is that is why the ads may be so invasive. With me not allowing their 3rd party data-mining via opt out, I can only assume the algorithm is confused as to how to target me with ads and such.
    Unless it's because I turned on in-game surveys or something, because of the community stuff pack. Yet every time I have still encountered the survey on the forums before I ever saw it in game.

I have my in-game surveys turned on too, so that's not it. How bizarre!

I really am curious though, why some of us and not others. It really should be optional though, like the surveys. It's a little shady how they just updated it too and snuck it in with a patch.