Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Something I didn't like

They had a special post a few days ago about how they design objects. They used the craft hutch desk as an example. I voted for it because I loved the way it looked and thought that was what we were getting since it won. During the post though, I found out they changed it. One change they made that upset me was taking away the round bin containing sewing needles and replacing it with another yarn spool. There comes a point where some changes can be what would've caused you to vote for a different design. If it's a pack voted on, then they shouldn't put anything in the vote that they aren't willing to make just as it's pictured. As far as I am concerned, the desk doesn't look as good without the needle bin, which is part of it's appeal in the first place.

Comments

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    davina1221 wrote: »
    They had a special post a few days ago about how they design objects. They used the craft hutch desk as an example. I voted for it because I loved the way it looked and thought that was what we were getting since it won. During the post though, I found out they changed it. One change they made that upset me was taking away the round bin containing sewing needles and replacing it with another yarn spool. There comes a point where some changes can be what would've caused you to vote for a different design. If it's a pack voted on, then they shouldn't put anything in the vote that they aren't willing to make just as it's pictured. As far as I am concerned, the desk doesn't look as good without the needle bin, which is part of it's appeal in the first place.

This probably won't make you feel better, but I believe that they did tell us that what we voted on was only concept art. The final product is always subject to change in actual development. The concept art was to give us a general idea of what those items would look like, not a definitive design.
    #Team Occult
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    I understand that to some extent. I don't care about small changes like reducing 5 balls to 4 ect., but taking the only needles there off seemed to change the look for me. I voted for it because of the craft look which was caused by the needle bin and all the other craft looking things. They talked about saving the resources, but I thought I read that they might add another hobby at one time or had room to add more, so if that is true, why not leave many of the items as close to what people voted for as possible. I'm hoping they add more stuff we didn't get like
    1. granny smock
    2. cloud outfit for toddler
    3. kitty plush

Those are the ones that I love the most that we aren't getting.

Since we are getting knitting( Didn't want it; I vote dangerous stuff and then the granny vote), I would like to have some small bins to put around or ways to make it look crafty the way I want to.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I don't think I saw a change with a desk, but they made a whole blog about another object they changed. It looked like a bookshelf covered with knitting supplies, but they decided to swap out yarn balls for generic paper. I was absolutely disgusted when I saw that. I voted for the initial design with the yarn because it looked like it belonged in a knitting pack. If they had the random paper on it from the start, I would have never voted for it. By changing it, the team is not giving voters what we voted for and expected to be in the pack. And of course they only told us all this after the object has been modeled. I think it's extremely unfair and misleading.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Fully agree. Feels like the old bait and switch ploy. Not at all appreciated.
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    that's the design process. concept art doesn't have to consider polygons and performance, the actual objects do.

welcome to game design.
  • _000key_000key Posts: 168 Member
    I just really wish we could have actual functional furniture and decorations. I'm tires of seeing set pieces like an ironing board from laundry day that does not work. Or a detergent that nobody can use because it's pure set piece. Or a towel nobody can grab because it is a deco towel this gives the Sims an Android robot feel, there is not movement or interaction to these things. Why?
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    edited June 2020
    Concept Art. Try to think of it this way. A movie studio is making a movie and they want a tie-in written (this would be a novelization of the movie script). They select the author and hand over the current script for them to work from. In the course of filming, the story gets changed around, the script rewritten numerous times. Countless changes are made, large and small. Scenes are left out or changed beyond recognition. (God only knows why!) Things change so drastically, that even if you wait until you see the movie before you read the tie-in you're bound to be unhappy. The story in the book in no way resembles that which was on the screen. Sometimes, the author is at fault for going in a direction never intended, but more likely, it was those changes made to the script in the course of shooting the film. I know. I was so angry with Vonda McIntyre for screwing up the book version of Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan, that it had me in knots.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    @GalacticGal Sometimes movie novelizations will add in additional backstory, so that things make sense to people who may pick up the book having never seen the movie or even what inspired it. For example, with Wrath of Khan the book may have had some additional information about Khan and "Space Seed", the original Star Trek episode. (I know, OT...)

When it comes to concept art, it's created to picture a particular style; when it comes down to actually creating the item, what's in the concept art may not make it to actual pixels.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)