March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 University question

What happens if I send my sim to University but do not play him and prefer to stay with the family back home? Do they complete courses/terms without having to control them?

Comments

• jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    Nope sadly they will grow old and die a student.
  • aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,089 Member
    jimbbq wrote: »

Well...that's a flawed system
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,927 Member
    edited April 2020

If the aging for played sims is either off or on for active household only, it's not the case.

If you rotate away while the term lasts, students will finish terms on their own with an average grade (I don't understand whether it means C or their average because it has varied for me) and wait until you return before re-enrolling. If you want the student to finish university on their own, mark them unplayed until they graduate (this way they re-enroll on their own).
  • beadierturtlebeadierturtle Posts: 295 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »

Well...that's a flawed system

You can set it in your options to not allow them to age. I believe the two options are to allow/disallow aging in your household and to allow/disallow aging outside of your household. So, you could stop them from aging, but you will also stop all others outside of your household from aging as well.

I always keep aging on. I have never and will never play with it off. What if I don't want to rotate play? I just want to send off my sim to college and my hope is that he will finish and graduate on his own without me doing anything. So that is not possible?
  • beadierturtlebeadierturtle Posts: 295 Member
    I always keep aging on. I have never and will never play with it off. What if I don't want to rotate play? I just want to send off my sim to college and my hope is that he will finish and graduate on his own without me doing anything. So that is not possible?

No, sorry. You will need to actually play them in order to proceed with their University track.

University classes works like any other job, in that if you assign a job to a sim outside of the household you are playing, they will keep that job but will not advance in that job while they are not being played.

It kind of sucks, because if you're playing a family and their kid grows old enough to attend college, if you want them to have the full college experience of living in a dorm, etc., you have no choice but to separate them from their family and be on their own, which means you sacrifice being able to advance the original family (unless you rotate play).

So, it comes down to living in a dorm (and leaving your original family) or attending classes from home. Attending classes from home is simple enough (in fact it's easier than attending classes in a dorm imo), but then you also need to consider if you want that student to get involved with any other activity the university offers. Most of these other activities are active, so you'll be busy with this one sim only during that time.

So, if you choose to keep your sim home for university, then I also suggest making sure any other working sim in that household are only working rabbit-holed jobs. You don't want to try to juggle multiple active positions in the same household.

No, sorry. You will need to actually play them in order to proceed with their University track.

University classes works like any other job, in that if you assign a job to a sim outside of the household you are playing, they will keep that job but will not advance in that job while they are not being played.

It kind of sucks, because if you're playing a family and their kid grows old enough to attend college, if you want them to have the full college experience of living in a dorm, etc., you have no choice but to separate them from their family and be on their own, which means you sacrifice being able to advance the original family (unless you rotate play).

So, it comes down to living in a dorm (and leaving your original family) or attending classes from home. Attending classes from home is simple enough (in fact it's easier than attending classes in a dorm imo), but then you also need to consider if you want that student to get involved with any other activity the university offers. Most of these other activities are active, so you'll be busy with this one sim only during that time.

So, if you choose to keep your sim home for university, then I also suggest making sure any other working sim in that household are only working rabbit-holed jobs. You don't want to try to juggle multiple active positions in the same household.

ok thanks! :)
  • sqrlmom2sqrlmom2 Posts: 2 New Member
    I have a question. In University there are big rounded planter pots in the streets. I have seen them also used when a house/lot is created. The pots show up in University on the streets, but I don't have access to use them independently. Am I looking in the wrong place for them?
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    sqrlmom2 wrote: »
    I have a question. In University there are big rounded planter pots in the streets. I have seen them also used when a house/lot is created. The pots show up in University on the streets, but I don't have access to use them independently. Am I looking in the wrong place for them?

If they aren't in with the plants in buy mode or in build mode with the trees etc. then they're in the debug menu and you will have to "cheat" to get them. Use "ctrl+shift+c" to open the window and type "testingcheats on" and enter. Then you will need "bb.showhiddenobjects" enter, and then "bb.showliveeditobjects"

once you've done all of that, in the bottom left search bar in buy/build mode type "debug" and just click a random one there that shows up. It's a lot to scroll through but they aren't named anything searchable so this is the only way, just manually scrolling and looking yourself. Good luck with your hunt! :)

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 949 Member
    What happens if I send my sim to University but do not play him and prefer to stay with the family back home? Do they complete courses/terms without having to control them?

They actually complete their present semester. Set aging to "active household only" to avoid aging while you are not playing them.

Students don't have to live on campus, by the way.
  • sqrlmom2sqrlmom2 Posts: 2 New Member
    Thank you. Will give it a whirl
  • GnattyganGnattygan Posts: 1 New Member
    I am having the opposite problem. Is there a way to keep sims from completing a term while I am doing rotational play. I want to play my college sims but I would prefer to send a bunch of students at once and play them all together. Is there a way to turn off this feature so that my sims are not graduated and ready to return home by the time I'm ready to play them? I am open to cheats or mods if that's what I have to do.
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member

They actually complete their present semester. Set aging to "active household only" to avoid aging while you are not playing them.

Students don't have to live on campus, by the way.

A friend of mine rotates through more than one household in her legacy and all four students she put through college ended up on Academic Probation while she was with another household. So they actually don't progress on their own when it comes to college.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,808 Member
    @Gnattygan It works best to rotate away after you have completed the term. When it asks if you want to re-enroll, say no. You can enroll again when you return to the household later.

gen3-banner.png
  • TammorsTammors Posts: 357 Member
    Only send them to university if you plan to play them. They'll flunk if they go on their own. Sims are stupid. You need to actually make them do their homework and attend class everyday, because they won't do it on their own. Even if you log into a different family for just a couple days to check on them, the one in college will skip school while you're playing the other family. You really need to devote yourself to the characters going to college.

That being said, you can have them live with the household you want to play, and just send them to classes the same as you would send them to a job. I like having them live at home while going to school, so I can play other characters at the same time. If they go away to school, you can only play one character at a time; and I prefer playing multiple characters.

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    I have found that they will maintain their grades if you play their first term. For example, I played a sim through their first term, got a B- and signed them up again. I rotated away and returned after their 2nd week was up, they still had a B-, so i just signed them up again for their last term and rotated away.
  • Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,032 Member
    A university term only lasts 7 sim days. I found this out the hard way as others have said, I sent my sim self’s kids out to university and they were on academic probation next time I visited them. It then took me 6 sim weeks to complete each of their 12 credits.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member

I just dropped a few Sims out of Uni. I hope they will be able to start from scratch in a few days. I dropped them out because the grades plummeted to B- and C's while I was not playing them. I also noticed recently some Sims started completing degrees on their own, like Julia Wright and Becca Clarke, who then ended up in separate households too. Maybe I just never noticed before. I actually like having more educated townies, however I did want to play Becca and Julia at some point, so I dropped them out along with the Pleasant twins. When I evicted Becca and Julia from their campus housing they ended up with over a hundred thousand simoleons in the bank lol. I guess they won't need student loans when I sign them back up..