Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lights on the Fences

redrogue60redrogue60 Posts: 2,053 Member
edited April 2020 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
Just a simple request but I'd like to be able to add outdoor lighting on gate and fence posts like we were able in Sims 3. Although if we could add a bit on the actual fences that would be awesome. And without having to resort to cheats.

Landscaping-with-Wood-Fence-and-Stone-Posts.jpg

brick-fence-with-gate-lights.jpg

Othway-fence-lights.jpg

0d8c0cf0e6f3fd8d7fc23cbcc259aa3a.jpg

0540233001344687895_extra01.jpg

post-cap-lights-7.jpg

“All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.” Terry Pratchett
Post edited by redrogue60 on

Comments

• Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I think on the last few patch, we do have the last fence. Overall, I do agree if there's an option for us to at least lit up the fences without too much trouble or give an option to have lights on it (just like the recent feature that they're going to add to the knit stuff pack, where the sims can knit to unlock different knitted wear).
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    xamira99 wrote: »
    I think on the last few patch, we do have the last fence. Overall, I do agree if there's an option for us to at least lit up the fences without too much trouble or give an option to have lights on it (just like the recent feature that they're going to add to the knit stuff pack, where the sims can knit to unlock different knitted wear).

In Sims 3 you were able to add outdoor lights on the posts on just about all the fences. In Sims 4 we don't have that feature and I find it always sad to go backward. If they could add lights to the walls of some of the fences that would be awesome however I'd be happy with just the posts.
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited April 2020
    I know some Simmers are opposed to using Moveobjects in their builds, but if you're open to the idea, it's very easy to put lights on fence posts using this build cheat. Just turn on the cheat, find one of the outdoor ground lights that you'd like to use. Place it inside the post, then use the 9 key to raise it up to the top of the post. Here's an example of a build where I've used this method:

2yA3qbY.png

Hope this is helpful! :)

I do agree it would be nice if we could have snappable fence post lights though, similar to what we had in TS2. Hopefully one day. Also, @xamira99 is correct, we do have a fence that came in a recent free update that has outdoor fence post lights already incorporated into them. It was included with the configurable u-shaped stairs update. The Devs did a livestream that showcased the fence too.

Happy Simming! <3
  • Options
    I didn't remember that we had the lights on the posts in Sims 2 as well as in Sims 3. What a shame we went so backward in game that should be far more advanced.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I keep forgetting that we're so limited in this respect. Every do often I will try to place something and be annoyed when it fails. Using the cheat is a good idea though. We definirely need more lighting to work with fences.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    xstxrrysequencexstxrrysequence Posts: 3,194 Member
    With Seasons you’re able to do that. There’s a box (the attic stack decoration box, to be more precise) in buy mode. After you buy it, click on it and then click “Put Up Decorations”. There’s multiple choices on what kind of decoration you want to put up. It puts up decoration on the roof & lighting on the fence.
    image0.gif
    Do you like games that involve strategy? Do you like solving a mystery?
    Come try a Mafia Game!
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I thought about that but I'm not sure I want the seasonal decor up year round.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    With Seasons you’re able to do that. There’s a box (the attic stack decoration box, to be more precise) in buy mode. After you buy it, click on it and then click “Put Up Decorations”. There’s multiple choices on what kind of decoration you want to put up. It puts up decoration on the roof & lighting on the fence.

Everyone knows or should know that you can put up holiday lights on the fences also other kinds of decor if you have Seasons. What is up for discussion is the simple act of placing outdoor rated lights on the fence post or perhaps if we are lucky regular outdoor rated light on the wall of the fence as the photo I showed up. How do you feel about being able to put outdoor type lights on posts like we were able to do on Sims 2 and 3 without cheats. How do you feel about being able to place them on the face of the fence again without cheats?
  • Options
    frenchfreyfrenchfrey Posts: 36 Member
    I miss this as well. It's a little weird putting up a fence and then having to put ground lights in front of the posts to make it look remotely appealing. I also liked that I could make lit decks in S3
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I so want my fences to be automatically lighted & can be used for off-the-grid.
  • Options
    KookaburraKookaburra Posts: 16 Member
    Yes, please~

I want to have lights on the fences on my docks
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    I miss that too!! And being able to have fences on the edge of lots.
    redrogue60 wrote: »
    xamira99 wrote: »

In Sims 3 you were able to add outdoor lights on the posts on just about all the fences. In Sims 4 we don't have that feature and I find it always sad to go backward. If they could add lights to the walls of some of the fences that would be awesome however I'd be happy with just the posts.

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited June 2020
    Yea I realized my outdoor areas are so dark because we can’t add lights to fence posts. So I’m stuck adding some monstrous separate light on the ground. The little ones don’t give enough light. It’s such a pain.

It would be nice if they let us add lights to fence posts like we could in TS3.
  • Options
    It's such small change. I hope they can manage it.
  • Options
    amchristianamchristian Posts: 1,246 Member
    edited June 2020
    Just a simple request but I'd like to be able to add outdoor lighting on gate and fence posts like we were able in Sims 3. Although if we could add a bit on the actual fences that would be awesome. And without having to resort to cheats.

Yes! I miss these like crazy.
  • Options
    adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    Just popping by to say this is something I miss a lot too. :neutral:
    origin ID: adduapina
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited June 2020

Landscaping-with-Wood-Fence-and-Stone-Posts.jpg

brick-fence-with-gate-lights.jpg

Othway-fence-lights.jpg

0d8c0cf0e6f3fd8d7fc23cbcc259aa3a.jpg

0540233001344687895_extra01.jpg

post-cap-lights-7.jpg

Agreed.

I linked this post to TheSims on Twitter.