Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Marketing has gone too far

bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
edited April 2020 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback

So now, every time you open the Sims 4, a pop up will come up, showing you a random DLC you don't own, and telling you to buy it, even with a timer at the bottom. The items are completely random and not on sale

What do you think about this?
I think it's horribly intrusive and unnecessary. It really shows where this company's priorities are- MONEY!
Why don't they work on improving the actual game rather than trying to sell their overpriced DLC??
I thought Ubisoft was bad, this might be a new low!

This video is based on this article from the Sims Community: https://simscommunity.info/2020/04/17/the-sims-4s-main-menu-is-now-reminding-players-that-they-dont-own-certain-packs/

Comments

• DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited April 2020
    I find it annoying. When I don't own it, I don't want it.

Also, you know when there were the pictures of the latest released packs, right? Like the box art or whatever it is called on the main menu. A couple of months ago it started to show the packs I don't own instead and it says something like: We think you would like this pack!
    And they literally show me the packs I absolutely don't want and that I avoid - Vampires, Strangerville, Island Living and Get to Work. What do these have in common? Occults or just something "extraterrestrial". One would have thought such advertisment would be personalized.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    edited April 2020
    bixters wrote: »

So now, every time you open the Sims 4, a pop up will come up, showing you a random DLC you don't own, and telling you to buy it, even with a timer at the bottom. The items are completely random and not on sale

What do you think about this?
    I think it's horribly intrusive and unnecessary. It really shows where this company's priorities are- MONEY!
    Why don't they work on improving the actual game rather than trying to sell their overpriced DLC??
    I thought Ubisoft was bad, this might be a new low!

This video is based on this article from the Sims Community: https://simscommunity.info/2020/04/17/the-sims-4s-main-menu-is-now-reminding-players-that-they-dont-own-certain-packs/

Yes. I've had that recently too. If it was on sale, I'd understand it as a marketing choice, even though it's pushy, but when it's not on sale, I definitely don't want it coming up like that.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Ok so I wasn't the only confused by the patch notes. Yeah the main menu is super annoying and still headache inducing. Like seriously get rid of that white background already. It is like they are trying to push packs and headaches on me at the same time. It is sad when the Sims 4 seems as pushy as its mobile counterparts. Actually one of the reasons why I stopped playing those because all their events were pay to play.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,830 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Ok so I wasn't the only confused by the patch notes. Yeah the main menu is super annoying and still headache inducing. Like seriously get rid of that white background already. It is like they are trying to push packs and headaches on me at the same time. It is sad when the Sims 4 seems as pushy as its mobile counterparts. Actually one of the reasons why I stopped playing those because all their events were pay to play.

I don't play Sims Mobile but you can complete the events in Freeplay without spending any money.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited April 2020
    Yeah, they really need to step back. Showing you which packs you don't own at the moment in the bottom half of the main menu and putting the little red banner on them when they're on sale is good enough. We don't need the pop-up adds. They made TS4 the most modular game in the series to date in terms of not having to install all of the expansions in chronological order to avoid bugs, which means that players can prioritize packs on their own terms and skip the content they don't want. For me, it's most of the SP's that I'll be skipping out on because only a few have stuff in them that I'm actually interested in, for others it's supernatural, or family stuff, or the still-buggy thing that is "Dine Out."

They should just accept the fact that there are some players that won't want some DLC. Like when you're into a toy line as a kid, you have some kids who get (or bug their parents to oblivion trying to get) everything that comes out for it, because they want the complete set. Then, you have other kids who are content to just have all of their favorite characters, one or two of the better vehicles, and one minor playset, because that's all they need. The toy company can put the whole set on the back of the package with a big "Collect Em' All!" stamped on it all they want, but the customers will only buy what they want, no more, no less. That's Business 101. You can't make someone buy something they don't want. The best you can do is sell the thing someone doesn't want in a double/multi/bargain pack with the thing(s) they do want to move that junk inventory a little faster or discount the less popular items really heavily and break even or sell them at a loss as a result.

Man, I'd hate to see the college transcripts of EA's marketing team, because the way they've been marketing TS4, it looks like they barely passed all of their major courses...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Agreed. It's annoying, intrusive, and a bit insensitive to be honest. There are tons of reasons people haven't bought things--from not having the money or thinking a pack isn't worth the time. When I bought the game, I didn't know I was signing up to receive ads I couldn't unsubscribe from, ever. Like those emails stores send out. But forever. Someone will probably mod it if they can (I have no idea how mods work and maybe it's not a thing with something like this) but if they could I look forward to it.

I don't want the packs I haven't bought for a reason. Some I still want, but I'm waiting for a good enough sale because I like some parts of it but don't think worth full price (looking at you, expansion packs).

But certainly the shameless plug for more cash on their end is in such bad taste right now because um, hello? Global pandemic. Millions have lost jobs and even more are probably short on money now, and your going to try and get them to spend more in such a...distasteful way? No way. Obviously from a marketing standpoint they're like "lots of people are home now, we can totally get more sales" which is true but there's a line between tasteful, honest advertising that fulfills a need and advertising whose only intent is to take advantage of a situation.

Anyway, end rant. TLDR: the ads are annoying and I hate them
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    So the people who picked up the game for free aren’t buying packs? That’s the only reason I can think of how this intrusive marketing gimmick was approved. The main menu already prominently displays which packs you own and which ones you don’t, this is an extra layer to push people into buying them. Funny how there’s a “limited time” timer shown in the video for a regularly priced pack; that’s easily the most deceitful way to make people impulse buy.
  • RhiannonravenRhiannonraven Posts: 128 Member
    Yeah - it's really difficult when you can't afford it and it's being blasted in your face everywhere you turn that you should buy the DLC. They are REALLY overpriced, who wants to pay the same amount they paid for the base game to buy an EP?!?! I always wait for the bundles to be 40% off and then I bundle up.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    That is so annoying. Though the game does do that with world selection screen if you have online enabled (showing worlds from expansion/game packs you don't own). Seriously, the pack icons in the main menu are enough!
    And it isn't the only time that was done. It was done in The Sims 3 as mentioned in the video, but also in The Sims 2. If you own an expansion pack or stuff pack but don't own the packs that came before it, you'll notice unclickable buttons in neighborhood screen, build/buy modes, and live mode. Hovering over them shows a message that this feature is from a pack you don't own.
  • LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    Oh gosh. I haven't seen a message like this in my game yet, but that might just be because I almost always play in offline mode. But now that I think about it, I noticed a change in the menu screen too. You know how the main page used to show a render from one of your purchased packs (ex: Get Together showed a bunch of sims playing foosball). But now they don't really show the renders, even in offline mode. The first thing I see is about some other game pack or announcement. I'd rather see the renders.
    So the people who picked up the game for free aren’t buying packs? That’s the only reason I can think of how this intrusive marketing gimmick was approved. The main menu already prominently displays which packs you own and which ones you don’t, this is an extra layer to push people into buying them. Funny how there’s a “limited time” timer shown in the video for a regularly priced pack; that’s easily the most deceitful way to make people impulse buy.

Yeah, knowing there's a timer sounds pretty questionable to me. I don't like it either.
    EgonVM wrote: »
    That is so annoying. Though the game does do that with world selection screen if you have online enabled (showing worlds from expansion/game packs you don't own). Seriously, the pack icons in the main menu are enough!
    And it isn't the only time that was done. It was done in The Sims 3 as mentioned in the video, but also in The Sims 2. If you own an expansion pack or stuff pack but don't own the packs that came before it, you'll notice unclickable buttons in neighborhood screen, build/buy modes, and live mode. Hovering over them shows a message that this feature is from a pack you don't own.

Yeah, I guess The Sims has always had this sort of marketing for quite some time. I guess this one is really pushing people's buttons because it's so -in-your-face. Pop-ups are always annoying, eh?
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Lyoufln wrote: »
    EgonVM wrote: »

Yeah, I guess The Sims has always had this sort of marketing for quite some time. I guess this one is really pushing people's buttons because it's so -in-your-face. Pop-ups are always annoying, eh?

Really, the checklist type things are much more tasteful than the pop-ups. You can ignore those graphics and the little store icons in TS3 if you're not interested, but pop-ups are just plain obnoxious. There's a reason why they were immediately branded a blight among internet users in the late 90's through the 2000's. No one likes to have an add pop up and blocking your view of the thing that you're actually interested in interacting with.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Enough with the pushy ads already!
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited April 2020
    Scobre wrote: »

I don't play Sims Mobile but you can complete the events in Freeplay without spending any money.
    Not from when I played the Sims Freeplay. It always felt so rushed that you had to pay to play which I didn't. Both games always felt a step above of annoying ads of the Sims 4 ones which Sims 4 ones more than my taste of annoyance. It is like when you annoy someone who has worked in finances and business with marketing you know it is going too far.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    I also got a pop up with a timer to buy a stuff pack. I don't understand the timer because it is full price anyway.

It is very pushy. I think the greyed out icons on the main screen should have been enough.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    Well, it turns out even those who own all the paid add-ons aren't safe.
    I just opened my game and had it pop up with the stuff pack I already own. Plus the picture next to it didn't match (I was advertised Tiny Living, the picture next to it was Perfect Patio).

I seriously had to post it on my YouTube community page. Seriously EA?
    https://www.youtube.com/post/UgyTjVX_uE7ZLsfmf194AaABCQ?app=desktop
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I've played my game as recently as this morning and I'm not getting these pop ups? I've got the banner ad, and the usual icons on the bottom but I'm not getting this pop up like everyone else or what is shown in this video. Not that I'm complaining... just curious why I'm patched up to date and it's not doing it for me? A setting or country code maybe?
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited May 2020
    I'm not okay with this at all. I have always believed that if you pay a company to use their product then you should not get any advertising, because otherwise you are paying them to get advertising.

Seriously EA, [removed by EA_Mai - keep it polite].
    Post edited by EA_Mai on
  • LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    I've played my game as recently as this morning and I'm not getting these pop ups? I've got the banner ad, and the usual icons on the bottom but I'm not getting this pop up like everyone else or what is shown in this video. Not that I'm complaining... just curious why I'm patched up to date and it's not doing it for me? A setting or country code maybe?

That's a good point. I know when I was in the US visiting, Tumblr had posts on the dash that were actually ads. I never saw those when I was in Canada. Maybe depending on your IP address, there's a chance you'll see these pop-ups when you open the game.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Not surprised at all
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • commwheelcommwheel Posts: 11 New Member
    It's a fake pressure and a very unhonest way to convince people to buy it...
  • Andyzhang2896Andyzhang2896 Posts: 58 Member
    I never see the pop-up but it looks very annoying to me.

Yeah, overpriced game. I only buy it when it's on sale. The EP is supposed to be $20, GP $10, SP maybe $3-$5.
    EA is on a stock market, I guess they really care about the profit or the financial report won't look good for investor and hence their stock price may drop. They keep on releasing new packs every few months, just to earn more money to pay their employee and the rest of it is profit.

It's not SimGuru fault when the game lack of content and depth, it's the marketing part that wanted to generate more money, spending most of the time on creating new packs to sell, instead of fixing the broken game (cause fixing game ain't generate $cash$). I don't believe they care about us until they fix and add the features the community asks.
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited April 2020
    Sadly this is nothing new as once the sims 3 finished they had all sorts of advertisements for all the store content within the game and the launcher (which still shows an advertisements to try the sims 4 with cats and dogs ugh). Yes you can disable it, but sadly the damage was done. And it seems they wanted to continue with this process. It was disgusting to me then and it still has a bad taste in my mouth now.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Sadly this is nothing new as once the sims 3 finished they had all sorts of advertisements for all the store content within the game and the launcher (which still shows an advertisements to try the sims 4 with cats and dogs ugh). Yes you can disable it, but sadly the damage was done. And it seems they wanted to continue with this process. It was disgusting to me then and it still has a bad taste in my mouth now.

I’d bet when TS5 comes around, TS4’s main menu will have it enlarged front and center every time you boot up the game, just like the packs are presently.

Personally, I think it’s unnecessary. People will buy or not buy regardless.
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    I just ignore it. Businesses set a price for a product for many reasons, one of which is based on how many people they can convince to buy it. If th3 business doesn’t advertise and prices based only on the number of folks who would buy because they “already know about it,” the product would cost me 3-5x as much. Just click the X and consider it the cost of doing business for the price you were able to buy it for.
  • Barbie430Barbie430 Posts: 97 Member
    I just ignore it. Businesses set a price for a product for many reasons, one of which is based on how many people they can convince to buy it. If th3 business doesn’t advertise and prices based only on the number of folks who would buy because they “already know about it,” the product would cost me 3-5x as much. Just click the X and consider it the cost of doing business for the price you were able to buy it for.
    People pay more than enough for this game to not have advertising shoved in their faces like this every time they want to play. The pack icons on the start up screen was far enough IMO.