Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Positive things about The Sims 4

So I see a lot of negativity about Sims 4
(often justified) however, there are also some really good parts of Sims 4 too, let’s discuss:

- The Sims 4 really excels in Build Mode. I’m not really an active builder but it seems near perfect?

- Another thing we need to give the Sims 4 credit for is the pregnancy improvements and how they can now wear all clothing. I hated being restricted to those ugly maternity clothes in previous games

- Sims 4 deserves credit for CAS. The element of ‘shaping’ Sims’ features instead of sliders is definitely an improvement.

- The addition of the Gender options to be more inclusive for the Trans community was a gamechanger!

- Visually, the game is actually stunning! The graphics and art of the game is breathtaking!

Comments

• Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    - I can't stress enough how much do I love that Manage Households feature. It not only allows me to split and merge households, move them into lots etc, but also I can change the household's sims there! From changing sims' outfits to adding or removing new sims. With that, I can create relatives and pets even after the household is created and played with.

- I like the relationship options CAS presents. Sure, we can't make sims dating or engaged there, but we have more options. For example, we can make a child an elder's child, make a married couple so that only one of them is one of the children's parent, make an elder other elder's parent etc. It's much more easily moldable than in previous games.

- Clubs. I like clubs. It's an awesome feature from Get Together (I think it's one of the best packs). Sims that gather together to do the things they like. Clubs can have requirements. Clubs can have their own activities, rules, outfits, and more.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Toddlers. They may have come late but they're so much fun to play that I have a hard time letting them go every time.

Pets. I'm one of the people who likes that they're not controllable because it makes the gameplay more realistic (I say as I'm wishing that my cat would *tell me* what she wants when she's meowing at me lol)

You've already mentioned build mode so I'm just adding my vote to that. I can spend hours recreating houses, figuring out how to convert a real life house plan into the Sims, etc. And it keeps being improved which is great too.

The abilities/perks trees for fame and occults. It would've been easy to just make it a skill or a simple leveling system but this way it's so flexible!

It took me a long time to dive into it but the Club system is a lot of fun to use, whether it's with families or for skilling up.

(thank you for starting this thread :D)
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Sims 4 Toddlers are top notch, and only better with Parenthood.

There seems to be a lot more career flexibility in general. Lots of hand-on options rather than rabbit-holes.

Greatly expanded selection of university degrees compared to TS3 - I am a Humanities guy, so it was nice to see these represented beyond "Fine Arts".
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    A lot of my favourite features in Sims 4 have already been mentioned: build mode, the household manager, toddlers and pets. Very well done, all of them!

I'ld add the gallery. It's just great to be able to look for and add a lot or a household in a few clicks and very few time.

Vampires are in depht sims! I think they're the best occults ever made to the game (considering i dont own RoM, so i just can't compare spellcasters).

Semi-active careers (work from home). Those are my favourite careers and i wish they could expand all rabbit hole careers into this scheme. Working from home my sims can explore their career track by doing stuff and have more time left for other things in their life. And they can always opt to work normally if that's what you need in a specific day.

The calendar. Being able to plan an event days before is great.

Holidays and traditions. Very nice that we can plan anual holidays at our own liking. I also like to see that little heart telling us what traditions that specific sim likes to do. And i absolutelly love how at new years eve you can set a resolution. And decorating the christmas tree is really lovely!

I would have a lot more to add, there are a lot of very well done things in sims 4. And while im also someone who talks around about stuff that i don't like in the game, i apreciate this kind of threads cause we also need to let the devs know what they're done incredibly well in this version of the game.
  • Options
    DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    Being able to restore an dream destination island as opposed to colonise it, and not having any 'material' reward for it is a concept I personally adore. Go baby turtles!

I find foosball game hilarious, even to this day, thanks to the absolute lack of sportmanship and team spirit of the sims playing it.

The Hot-headed trait, and the mischief skill lvl 5. Worst combination ever, but again, still so fun over the years.
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I like the aesthetics very much. CAS is the best with so many clothing options and hairs. Build mode is also quite easy to use to crate decent looking lots for non builders like me.

I do like how easy it is to call your friends to hang out. The club system is even better.

And most importantly it is quite stable ! I have this save file I have been playing for like 5-6 generations and it hasn’t exploded yet like it would have in sims 3. :)
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    Nice thread :)
    As mentioned, I love the club system. I think it's by far the best addition made because I have been able to se up clubs for sims with similar interests and hobbies, family groups, friendship groups etc. It's quite limitless and I really enjoy the NPC meetings. Overall, a very nice, vibrant addition to the game.

Possibly an unpopular opinion but I feel like the family gameplay has improved. I was talking about this to a friend the other day and I thought of eleven improvements off the top of my head:
    1) The school projects. Adults can help and the children/teens are building skills too. This feels more real to me because most parents would help a child or teenager with their projects and I love the thought that they can work together on something. It feels like the parents have some influence over their education.
    2) Watching movies together. I like being able to do family movie nights, with popcorn! It's also nice that there's the variety of movies (about 10, I believe), so some of the family will enjoy them, others won't.
    3) Building blocks together at the table. Not only can the family get involved in this together, but the result can then be played with by toddlers and upwards. Much more inclusive than the block building from previous generations, in my opinion.
    4) Snowmen and sand sculptures can be built with a toddler. To me, this is huge. Finally, my toddlers can play in the sand and snow properly!
    5) The Voidcritters. I love this feature for the children. Swapping cards, receiving some as gifts for Christmas, battling them. Lovely!
    6) Puppet shows. Not only can the children put these on but the whole family can sit and watch, including the toddlers. I love that so much. I often do this in parks and it's great to see.
    7) The play gyms (pirate ship and space ship) because not only do you get about 4 children playing together but you can get teens+ to join in too.
    8) The club system. This is something I use all the time but for children, I can set up clubs for children with similar interests and hobbies. Thus they can forge long-term friendships. See above.
    9) The craft table. I love getting the children drawing, then putting those up on the walls. Plus, on the craft tables, doing the seasonal crafts. They look great, especially if you decorate the house for various holidays. I feel this was a big improvement from previous generations.
    10) The actual parenting aspect of Parenthood. I feel like the parents actually get involved and influence their children. How the parent disciplines the child actually has an impact and will not only affect additional traits (behavioural) in later life, but also the relationship between parent and child.
    11) Childhood Phases. Much more realistic, children have various phases that change behaviours.

As also mentioned, the Create A Sim and Build Mode are definitely lovely features and vast improvements.

I'm also a fan of the neighbourhoods (another unpopular opinion). They feel more like real towns to me, towns with a background, a history. They're relatable and lively. <3
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options
    Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,969 Member
    I like the food options, particularly the breakfast ones. The Sims 3 breakfasts (that you actually made, as opposed to quick-meal cereal) were all rather sweet - pancakes, waffles, fruit parfait. I like that you can get things like scrambled eggs and eggs and toast.

I love that toddlers can help themselves to a portion of "adult" food as opposed to just eating mush like in Sims 2 and 3. It's so convenient!!

I like the holidays too, like being able to create our own, and the random ones popping up like Skill Day, Lottery, Neighbourhood Brawl :D

Other stuff too. I've had a couple of my Sims own restaurants, but I want to experiment with it more.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited April 2020
    I really have to second the manage household feature that egonVM mentioned. It's the number one used feature for my playstyle. I play as if I would be writing a novel with different households and I swap sims and transfer money and everything like 20 times each play. Totally love that feature.

Another feature mentioned already but greatly used is how easy it is to gender swap rather it's clothes, sims, hair whatever! Anything goes! And allows me to get so creative with the options.

Teens!!! People may see not having shorter teens as a negative but it's a positive for me. The fact that teens can do and wear almost everything adults can makes them not feel incomplete or lacking as a life state. Now sure they could use more teen focused content but I'm only talking about positives here. I play teens most of all so I love the options we have.

Love the calendar. I use it more than anything to get free days, weeks or even months off school and work 🤣🤣 and there is no forced cerfew for teens you can set your own.

Mermaids are so visually stunning and I just love how easy it is to make or become one and customize their tails and everything! A lot of people think they are lacking but I personally think they were greatly improved and I have fun with tons of them. If they had an underwater lot it would be perfect.

Search function in build mode anyone?😅

Everything else was pretty much mentioned too. Clubs,cas, build, etc.

Sims 4 really doesn't get enough credit for the positives. Everyone is just looking at the glass half empty. And there is more to come! So I'm sure many more positive features are coming too!
    A big thank you to the team!! 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

I'm sure there is much more to mention but there are so many things I haven't even done yet so can't comment on it.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited April 2020
    It is a BEAUTIFUL game. I think its art style is the best in any iteration. CAS is amazing with the drag features! Every part of the game is so pretty. I also love the updated to pregnancy, especially breastfeeding and being sad if you arent pregnant. This is the first game that made me care about toddlers because its fun to play them! Any other game i have no interest in toddlers.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    mostcrunchydulcemostcrunchydulce Posts: 2 New Member
    > @AlexSimmerman said:
    > So I see a lot of negativity about Sims 4
    > (often justified) however, there are also some really good parts of Sims 4 too, let’s discuss:
    >
    > - The Sims 4 really excels in Build Mode. I’m not really an active builder but it seems near perfect?
    >
    > - Another thing we need to give the Sims 4 credit for is the pregnancy improvements and how they can now wear all clothing. I hated being restricted to those ugly maternity clothes in previous games
    >
    > - Sims 4 deserves credit for CAS. The element of ‘shaping’ Sims’ features instead of sliders is definitely an improvement.
    >
    > - The addition of the Gender options to be more inclusive for the Trans community was a gamechanger!
    >
    > - Visually, the game is actually stunning! The graphics and art of the game is breathtaking!

I agree, it'd just be great if they could make the male to female trans bodies more aesthetic. Its been a major turn off for me, but I still try to create trans sims. Plus it provides a nice storyline in my head to goin into CAS and change them into "full" females lol
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    Good point, it is too easy to focus on the negatives.
    • It runs really well, sure there are some simulation lag, but it generally runs well. Build mode is really good, I wish I could spend more time building in this game, because it has a really good build editor.
    • I also like CAS a lot, i miss being able to pick any color I want for the clothes but CAS is pretty good.
    • The gallery is really nice where you have the option to download whatever you want for the game.
    • I also like all the great mods that people are making for the game and that the game is very mod-friendly when it comes to running them, just add a package and the game runs it. Much easier than the work you have to do to get mods to work for other games.
    • The voice acting is great, if they are the work of just a few people, then they are doing an amazing job.
    • I also think that some pre-made sims that Maxis have done are looking great. I am impressed by how unique some of them are.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I like the Gallery. I like the modding community RIP Scumbumbo my favorite modder. I like BobSquad and some of the Gurus I think are really good streamers and gamers. I like Bob Pancakes, Boozy, Boo, and Butter Pancakes. I like the Goths and Vlad. I like the club system, the spellcaster skills and book UI, the familiars, the dolphins, work from home careers which is even more relevant now, ombre hairs especially the ones with dark purple, and the CMs have been nice. I like the live streams and been neat watching SimGuruSteve grow them and do the new set. Most of all I like setting things in fire in any and every way I can. Piercings and university class system and financial detail I was impressed with too. Patchy I think is one of my favorite new NPCs too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    edited April 2020
    The aspiration reward where you can make food that never spoils is my favorite thing in the series. I love that you can do this and take your sim on long hikes, hunting for seeds, fishing, or treasure digging adventures without the mundane details of hunger spoiling the adventure. Whenever you don't have to bother with the mundane stuff, you don't have to. I'm so spoiled by it that I don't think that I can ever go back to living without it. Every sim I make always gets it.

I find it so convenient and helpful that you can save things in custom rooms and use them whenever you want. It's another thing I really can't go back to ever having to live without.

I love how easy it is to add and remove people from the household or world in the Management screen, it is so easy and helpful that it has become yet another thing that I can't live without. Well, I could really, but I would miss it terribly.

One of the things that I have always enjoyed most about the game is the tremendous variety of paintings you can have your Sim make. The same goes for the flowers you can make on the flower table. They can do so much to make a build or home unique, and will always be one of my very favorite things about the game. I like it more than all of the past iterations, it's all really lovely stuff.

Going into CAS to change your Sim or save them has never been easier, and it's another thing I use all the time and can't live without.

The art team is now doing a better job than ever on creating detailed furniture and other assets. I find myself fascinated my the details and accuracy, and love the things they are coming out with more and more. Those new piece rugs are the coolest, and everything else too.
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    Very good thread, it has become far to many negative threads lately (maybe well deserved by EA) and they become in its total a bit energy draining. There are many things I love about Sims 4 but to take a few from the top of my mind
    The Sims themselves, I love evry Sim I have created
    Bicycles the way they use them drives me nuts sometimes, but in total so funny
    Club system - love it, it is so useful
    Creativity - Painting, playing music, building sand castles, snowmen
    Fun interactions - Scare, argue about..., tell dramatic story, playing ping pong etc
    Graphics - The many sceneries
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited April 2020
    Scobre wrote: »
    I like the Gallery. I like the modding community RIP Scumbumbo my favorite modder. I like BobSquad and some of the Gurus I think are really good streamers and gamers. I like Bob Pancakes, Boozy, Boo, and Butter Pancakes. I like the Goths and Vlad. I like the club system, the spellcaster skills and book UI, the familiars, the dolphins, work from home careers which is even more relevant now, ombre hairs especially the ones with dark purple, and the CMs have been nice. I like the live streams and been neat watching SimGuruSteve grow them and do the new set. Most of all I like setting things in fire in any and every way I can. Piercings and university class system and financial detail I was impressed with too. Patchy I think is one of my favorite new NPCs too.

Off topic sorry

UGH I didn't know he passed away until now. I was wondering what happened to him. I really loved his mods and he was so helpful in the comments. :'(

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »

Off topic sorry

UGH I didn't know he passed away until now. I was wondering what happened to him. I really loved his mods and he was so helpful in the comments. :'(
    Yeah he really was great. He asked friends to keep his mods going so really nice to see the mod community come together and they made a dedication object for him. I love how supportive Twitch community can be too. SimGurus streamed last night and was nice because other Simmers got to see the gamer and human side of them too. SimGuruGraham got me into the site so neat being able to talk to people I met on forums there too and see some of them stream Sim games and other games.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited April 2020
    keekee53 wrote: »

Off topic sorry

Yeah he really was great. He asked friends to keep his mods going so really nice to see the mod community come together and they made a dedication object for him. I love how supportive Twitch community can be too. SimGurus streamed last night and was nice because other Simmers got to see the gamer and human side of them too. SimGuruGraham got me into the site so neat being able to talk to people I met on forums there too and see some of them stream Sim games and other games.

So sad :'( I am glad he was honored because he was one of the greats in the modding community.

As for my positive thing about sims 4 is being able to rotate between families and live\visit all the worlds in one save. I also love CAS and the toddlers.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I like the same things as most mentioned here:

It's pretty.

Build mode and CAS are easy to use. I actually enjoy building and making sims in this version and I never much cared for it before.

The toddlers are the best ever done yet and same with the vampires.

The gallery! Again it's so easy and such a time saver when you really just want to play with an idea but don't want to build it all from the ground up. I don't think I could go back to not having a gallery.

The sounds. It's a bit weird but I like the sounds of the mouse clicks. Just something about them makes my ears feel nice!
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I liked Spa Day, especially being able to put the mat anywhere and have an NPC show up at one of my gym's to teach yoga.
    I liked Dine Out, that was a very good pack before it broke.
    I liked Vampires that was a very good pack. I liked the powers they were well done. I loved the break ins.
    I liked toddlers, I consider them the best in the series.
    I loved the flea market table, I wish I had that in the older games. I put it near my Sim's home in the freespaces and they could hold a 'yard sale' anywhere I had left a table.
    I liked the bills were higher in this game. I always felt Sims get by too cheap.
    I liked some of the clothes in TS4 they have a 50's or 60's flair to it. Seen it before in my life.
    I enjoyed the animations and songs for karaoke this time.
    I liked the violin they did that very well in my opinion, I liked the tunes they picked and with the piano. I like making Sims cry.
    I liked going to work with my Sim as a detective and or doctor, until it broke.
    I probably like WB as a world better than all worlds in the entire series. The island and space between lots is perfect to me. Only need swim in ocean there.
    I liked Parenthood and teens finally showing some attitude. I also liked being able to encourage bad behaviour. lol
    Messes made by kids and toddlers at the mini park in NC was fun.
    Just a sample of things I do like about TS4.

Mechanics of the game I like:
    Being able to let kid and toddlers go out on their own...great, I hope they keep that, it wasn't possible in the older games. Especially toddlers.
    My little imp went everywhere. :D
    Being able to delete Sims from the bin, no game, I don't need another generated, elder male (30)lol, with wide hips. Delete, yay!. :D
    Being able to redress Sims in the bin without using a cheat and or add family member to the Sims in the bin (Manage).
    Marking Sims played or non played..good idea.
    Finally after fifteen years seeing Sims sit down while using a phone...thank you forever, it was way over due. And sitting by pool with feet in water...years of begging. :)

I don't care for buildmode and or buymode. I would rather those be separate. Nimble fingers needed to not move a wall while picking up an object... :( But liked very much I could shape a roof to my liking. Like those extra 'sliders' angles.
    Liked I could move a window and mirror up and down on wall.
    That's about it for buildmode.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited April 2020
    1. The most fleshed-out and playable Toddlers in the whole series.

2. You can now play a family with a single working parent and latchkey kids, because the Social Worker no longer snatches up your kids just for being home alone for a couple of hours.

3. Building and renovating in TS4 is less time-consuming thanks to being able to squash, stretch, and move rooms on the fly.

4. The "grab and pull" nature of CAS feels much more intuitive than the old sliders.

5. It has a bright, colorful aesthetic, that doesn't overuse reflectivity or grit on people or objects, which is very refreshing when you still have big AAA titles coming out where everything looks grimey or overly reflective and all the people look sweaty, waxey, and/or dirty all the time. (It's O.K. to use matte textures and bright colors. Everything doesn't need to be a blinn or a phong or covered in assorted grunge...)

6. Vampires are the best they've ever been.

7. Bendable stairs are really fun to work with.

8. There are still no lootboxes.

9. You can make Festivus if you have "Seasons."

10. These videos: GrayStillPlays
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.