Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Installing Sims 2 digitally?

Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
Since so many people on here are praising TS2, I got curious and want to give it a try as well. However, I have a question regarding installation. Does TS2 come with a disk and a code like TS3 and its packs did? I just recently got a new pc which doesn't have a disk drive, thus I have to install the game digitally some way. If it comes with a code as well, can I just register it over Origin and download and install the game like any other game? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but this is the first time I try to install an older game without the possibility of using a disk :D
Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff

Comments

• Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Unfortunately there were not digital versions of the earlier Sims 2 games so I don't think just putting in the codes would work.

You have 2 options:

1. Buy an external CD/DVD drive to install the games. There are work arounds for playing without a disc that I can't talk about so that you don't have to use the external drive to play
    2. Reach out to EA support to see if there is anything they can do. This is probably a long shot since they stopped giving out codes for the Ultimate Collection, but they may be able to help if you've got proof of ownership.
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Seera1024 wrote: »
    Unfortunately there were not digital versions of the earlier Sims 2 games so I don't think just putting in the codes would work.

You have 2 options:

1. Buy an external CD/DVD drive to install the games. There are work arounds for playing without a disc that I can't talk about so that you don't have to use the external drive to play
    2. Reach out to EA support to see if there is anything they can do. This is probably a long shot since they stopped giving out codes for the Ultimate Collection, but they may be able to help if you've got proof of ownership.

Thanks for your comment :) I guess I am just gonna look into some external disk drives then

I like to build stuff
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited April 2020
    The only supported digital versions of Sims 2 available right now are Sims 2 Ultimate Collection from Origin (which is no longer being given out, and you can only hope they will again in the future) and Sims 2 Super Collection from the Apple Store (which does not have all the EP's and SP's).

So, to get the whole game currently, you'd need to find and buy disks. The codes on the disks are no longer valid for digital downloads, so you'd have to play from disk. Since you don't have a disk drive, you'd need to have an external one.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • MagnezoneMagnezone Posts: 212 Member
    Yeah, as others have said, there's only Ultimate Collection, on PC, which they stopped supporting, unless you want to go down a rabbit hole of illegal things. There's Super Collection for Mac but it's missing some packs.

Just pray they bring it back - it's been heavily requested that EA put legacy titles on the store. If you urgently want to play, you'll just have to do what I did with TS1 - buy all the disks.
    My blog full of things that never get finished!
    XVlamuQ.png
    Magnezone, the lover of Calientes, Lotharios, Landgraabs and Curiouses everywhere.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited April 2020
    Once you get a chance to play update on what its like for you as a new player!
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I decided to buy an external disk drive and install it with a disk. We can't even know for sure if the Ultimate Collection ever comes back. I am just gonna buy the base game at the start though and see how it goes from there.

I like to build stuff
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »
    I decided to buy an external disk drive and install it with a disk. We can't even know for sure if the Ultimate Collection ever comes back. I am just gonna buy the base game at the start though and see how it goes from there.

Good luck! Just a heads up, because it's so old it doesn't recognize newer graphics cards and you may need to tweak the graphics rules file. If that's the case, don't worry, there's plenty out there on how to do it because it's been an issue for several years.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01