Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Not gonna lie, Discover University makes no sense

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    MagnezoneMagnezone Posts: 212 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    I mean it's a bit like real university tbh.

(Australian uni grades are a bit different so bear with me here) but getting a Credit or a Distinction or High Distinction are functionally no different for me. If I'm one percent short of a Credit, I still get a Fail. If I get a solid 50%, that's a Credit, and I pass the class and I'm allowed to graduate.

As and Bs and Cs aren't worth anything except clout.
    I get what you're trying to say but that's simply not how the game itself functions given you start higher in your career depending on what your grade is. Why make grade an integral part of the experience when you only seem to be able to get A+ or F?
    Dijktafone wrote: »
    Yes. I would totally be down to go to uni if the experience in itself would justify it. Alas, no greek houses this time around, no 'big sim on campus' type of memory, no need to make connections... those tiny little things that I endear so much. In tS3 the campus was big, I loved the students, the outdoor academic activities.

As for the original topic, I have no clue how grades are constructed. All I know is I ended up with an A (not an A+) despite being maxed out in all skills, and always doing everything on time.

Look, I have a lot of problems with TS4 but I think we're going to have to simply agree to disagree here. The Sims 4's universities are done better than every iteration in the franchise thus far, in my opinion, and I rarely have this high praise for TS4.

TS2 uni has little you can do exclusive to uni except for the Secret Society which aside from having the resurrection machine, I found really underwhelming upon my return to the game when UC came out and even though TS2 is my most played, I don't bother with it. If I get in it, it's entirely by accident now from befriending randos for the popularity/romance aspirations. And of course joining Greek Houses which I hate because I don't want to control the other random premade sims that are part of them.

The Sims 3 University, other than doing social groups and jobs and a few neat new lot types (which you can already make in TS4 via other expansions except the comic store), am I missing anything that's hugely different from TS2? Social Networking is cool but doesn't have much to do or integral to the university experience.

Whereas TS4 has all the Organisations and tasks and meet ups/events you can do with them, as well as the Secret Society which I haven't looked in how to join, and soccer/e sports. The ability to study from home is also huge to me. Study from home adult learning is becoming a more and more common thing, so I like the ability to do this in game. And the skill the game comes with, Research & Debate, adds to the university experience and ties the pack together nicely.
    My blog full of things that never get finished!
    XVlamuQ.png
    Magnezone, the lover of Calientes, Lotharios, Landgraabs and Curiouses everywhere.
  • Options
    DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited April 2020
    I'm talking premade greekhouses, with the main goal being to joined a storied and prestigious one, as opposed to create one out of the blue :)

It's just a matter of playstyle, preference that's all. If they were there, I'd be happy to see a beloved returning feature, and simmers who don't like it simply wouldn't have to mind.

Anyways, this plus previous posts is why this E.P as a whole makes little sense to me, and disappointed me so much that I am going to be infinitly cautious if I chose to buy an expansion in the future.

As to agreeing to disagree, none of us have to do that; it's a sandbox game, so to each it's own. A matter of + vs -; New features vs non returning ones. For those who end up with a positive result, that's a win, for those who end up with a minus result, well not so much.
    Post edited by Dijktafone on
  • Options
    MarmaladeJadeMarmaladeJade Posts: 108 Member
    Yes. I would totally be down to go to uni if the experience in itself would justify it. Alas, no greek houses this time around, no 'big sim on campus' type of memory, no need to make connections... those tiny little things that I endear so much. In tS3 the campus was big, I loved the students, the outdoor academic activities.

As for the original topic, I have no clue how grades are constructed. All I know is I ended up with an A (not an A+) despite being maxed out in all skills, and always doing everything on time.

Have you noticed if there's a difference between "Listen Actively" and "Take Notes" while in class?
  • Options
    DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    Oh my, I do not remember that at all. If I had to guess, I think I went with the default option. But if there are several, idk, maybe that was the difference between an A and an A+ :#
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Magnezone wrote: »
    i literally cannot agree more, ive played university for probably a month now on two families, both getting on probation on their first term, one of them getting suspended the second. they do all of their homework, go to class, do presentations and refine them etc, and i got all F’s. my sim is an adult now because he has been at university for too long, to graduate it should only take two weeks so you can still live out your young adult hood life. he has children and is married and it’s not realistic that he’s still in uni!!! i put so much effort in and it gets knocked down and it’s not even worth it

...How?
    The only people I have seen that get probation are Sims played by youtubers that deliberately screw up their studies.
    I am still think you either have a bad mod, or you are doing something completely wrong. I have gone thru Uni now 5 times, and I got ONE (1) F one time, and that was because I missed one class. As in completely didn't go one day. Since the term is only a week that is probably the equivalent of not showing up IRL to class for a month, so that makes sense.

I'm like fairly convinced it's a bug only some people are getting, though I'm not sure what could be causing it. As I said, I only get straight As or Fs despite doing little between the two all that different. That's not right, surely?

If it is a bug, a bug report needs to be filed. And I realize that came off harsh but I really don't mean it that way. If you are experiencing a bug, report it.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I'm talking premade greekhouses, with the main goal being to joined a storied and prestigious one, as opposed to create one out of the blue :)

"Greek houses" (which of course has nothing actual Greek about them at all ;) ) is a VERY alien concept to most countries though. That is such a SUPER American idea. I hadn't even noticed the lack of them.
    I also one that is really annoyed that because they cater to American culture you cannot cook in the dorms without cheats or mods. ALL Swedish dorms either have a big central kitchen OR each room as a small cooking station.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

"Greek houses" (which of course has nothing actual Greek about them at all ;) ) is a VERY alien concept to most countries though. That is such a SUPER American idea. I hadn't even noticed the lack of them.
    I also one that is really annoyed that because they cater to American culture you cannot cook in the dorms without cheats or mods. ALL Swedish dorms either have a big central kitchen OR each room as a small cooking station.

Oh we didn't follow those rules in the US. We cooked in our dorm rooms anyway, lol!

• Options
    Barbie430Barbie430 Posts: 97 Member
    I don’t really see how not allowing stoves in dorms is catering to American culture. Lots of dorms in America have full kitchens too. Those that don’t (at least where I am) tend to be 30-40 plus years old, so it’s hard to retrofit things like gas for a range or fit a full sized fridge in a smaller floor plan. Gameplay wise, it seems like such a silly limitation to place on players.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Barbie430 wrote: »
    I don’t really see how not allowing stoves in dorms is catering to American culture. Lots of dorms in America have full kitchens too. Those that don’t (at least where I am) tend to be 30-40 plus years old, so it’s hard to retrofit things like gas for a range or fit a full sized fridge in a smaller floor plan. Gameplay wise, it seems like such a silly limitation to place on players.

The university I went to had several different kinds of dorms - some with kitchens (more expensive) and some without (less expensive). I ended up in the ones with no kitchens - they were "cheaper" but they made you buy a food card which was pretty pricey. So to cut down on that cost and make back some money spent on the food card, I cooked my own food in my dorm room and bought chocolate bars in bulk with the food card and sold that stash to other classmates!