Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[Solved!] CC Showing Up in Body Shop but Not In-Game, PLEASE HELP!!!

SeloBeeSeloBee Posts: 177 Member
edited April 2020 in The Sims 2
First I'd like to say that I tried looking a bit to see if someone may have already had this problem, but I didn't go too far, so I apologize if this is repetitive or in the wrong section.

I've been playing Sims 2 on Windows 7 for years with absolutely no problems, until the fateful day that my laptop crashed and burned into an irreparable state. :( Thankfully I had backed up my entire "Sims 2" folder to my hard drive, although honestly at this point I'm not worried about recovering the families/neighborhoods, but thankful that I (hopefully) won't have to go re-download all my CC again lol.
A few months later, I was given my mom's old desktop (Windows 10) to use, so I cleared all of the documents that were currently on it (not factory reset though) and installed all of my discs. Deluxe installed fine, ran into the "app blocked by admin" error and fixed that, so in the end everything installed fine. After the graphics rule maker had been adjusted and seemed to work well, I then decided to copy my old Downloads folder to my new "Sims 2" folder in my Documents and see how things go. I tried Body Shop first and it came up just fine, shows my CAS CC just fine, I even made a couple sims just out of excitement. However, when I actually enter my game and go into a household, NONE of my CC shows up! I tried CAS, and not only is my CC not showing up, but even the sims I just made in Body Shop aren't showing up in my Sim Bin! To clarify, I did enable CC in the game BEFORE I even copied the Downloads folder over, and not only restarted the game after doing so, but also restarted the computer at least once.
I'm not very savvy with Windows 10, like at all, so it's very possible I've done something silly or naive without even realizing it. I'm just at a loss right now since it's showing fine in Body Shop, just not in my game.

I have all the EPs and SPs: Deluxe, University Life(combo), OFB, Family Fun, Glam Life, Pets, Seasons, Celebration stuff, H&M, Bon Voyage, FreeTime, Kitchen & Bath, Apt Life, and Mansion & Garden. All have been installed exactly in this order too, but like I said installation went just fine after fixing the "blocked app" error. Just in case it matters, I followed the instructions for installing from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sf7jyo_2kQ (hopefully the link is ok for posting here) as it mentions for W10 you need to download something to avoid the update error.

Most of any other advice I find online either is out-dated and not for Windows 10, or doesn't seem to apply to my specific situation. Again, it may be something silly that I'm missing here, maybe on 10 the downloads folder goes somewhere else than it did in 7? I did notice I didn't have a "Config" folder in the My Documents/User/EA Games/Sims 2 directory either, and I was sure I had that folder and others that seem to be missing when it was installed on 7... Maybe that's part of it? Honestly I don't know, but I'm hoping someone might be able to help or give any sort of advice. I'm not home atm, but I will update with my computer specs once I can. Also I'm sorry if this post is a jumbled mess, just trying to get as much info in as I can lol any advice or suggestions are very much welcome :heart: and happy simming! :)
The world is quiet here
Post edited by SeloBee on

Comments

• Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Try generating a brand new Sims 2 folder (just rename your current one to anything else and launch the game). Add a Downloads folder and put in a single Bodyshop CC in it - hair, eyes, etc. Load the game. Does it show up?
  • SeloBeeSeloBee Posts: 177 Member
    Sorry for the late reply, but now I'm having all new problems :neutral:
    First, I renamed the Sims 2 folder to 'The Sims 2_testing' since that would work as "renaming" the folder on Windows 7, however it still read the file just the same, i.e. my neighborhoods I had previously opened still loaded without having to do the pets, hobbies, magic, etc. So I then totally renamed the folder to just 'test', but I got the same results, somehow it's still reading the game the same as it had. So I then took the whole folder and moved it to the desktop and restarted the computer before launching the game, and still won't generate a new Sims 2 folder!!! I don't understand how it's reading a game folder that's not even in the directory!!!
    Well I do have the Sims 2 Store Edition folder in the directory as well, so I thought maybe that could be why, so I also put it on the desktop, restarted the computer, and launched the game..... And still no new Sims 2 folder, the entire EA Games folder is EMPTY, yet the game runs with the same settings as in my original folder, that is still on the desktop and named 'test'.......

I am seriously at a loss here now, I just don't understand. A simple rename on Windows 7 generated a new folder just fine, but somehow Windows 10 still reads everything exactly the same, even when it's not in the fracking directory!!! :tired_face:
    Please tell me I'm doing something wrong, cause otherwise I've got no clue!!! :confounded::disappointed:
    The world is quiet here
    edited April 2020
    I even just deleted the folders, both Sims 2 and Sims 2 Store Edition, and still didn't generate a new Sims 2 folder......

I honestly just don't get it....

UPDATE:
    I did it!! I fixed both of my problems by just changing the compatibility in the properties of each shortcut!!! :smiley::heart:
    I was just trying to think of anything I could possibly do without totally wrecking the game lol and thought to change the compatibility of the program, just to see if it would change anything at all. I changed it to Windows XP (Service Pack 2), restarted the computer, and launched the game and it regenerated a new file!!! So I tried your advice @Seera1024 and lo and behold, it showed up just fine in my game!! :love:

Thank you so much for your advice, once it finally regenerated a new folder it worked like a charm! Idk what the heck was wrong for a second there, but it sure works now! Thank you again, and Happy Simming!! :blush::heart:
    Post edited by SeloBee on
    The world is quiet here
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    You had 2 EA Game folders in Documents or 2 The Sims 2 folders in EA Games in Documents?

This is so strange. :(
    Delete your EA Games folder in Documents, if it's empty. - I'm so confused.
    Just one of each, but even when I took the Sims 2 folder completely out of the EA Games folder and launched the game, it just would not regenerate a new Sims 2 folder!! I was very confused too lol but I did end up fixing it in the end! I just changed the compatibility and somehow that fixed literally all my known problems :lol: I'm just glad it ended up being that simple!
    The world is quiet here