March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mod questions... Plant evolution.

Due to the changes made in recent patches, I've noticed plant evolution is WAY too fast. Plants evolve almost daily until after a week or so, all plants are perfect. I want to slow that down.

I know the basics of tuning changes and have made a number of mods myself but I don't know how a lot of the tuning files are configured and work as there are almost NO comments or help.

I'm looking at one of the plant tuning files, carrots specifically. I found this section, it's the only one that appears to have anything related to evolution rates:
                <T n="key">184160<!--Gardening_EffectiveSeason_InSeason--></T>
                <U n="value">
                  <V n="autonomy_modifiers" t="apply_new_value">
                    <V n="apply_new_value" t="apply_statistic_modifiers">
                      <U n="apply_statistic_modifiers">
                        <L n="autonomy_modifiers">
                          <U>
                            <L n="decay_modifiers" />
                          </U>
                          <U>
                            <L n="decay_modifiers">
                              <U>
                                <T n="key">16600<!--commodity_Gardening_Growth--></T>
                                <T n="value">2</T>
                              </U>
                              <U>
                                <T n="key">39327<!--commodity_Gardening_Evolution--></T>
                                <T n="value">2</T>
                              </U>
                            </L>
                          </U>
                        </L>
                      </U>
                    </V>
                  </V>
                </U>

I figured if I change the "2"s down to like 0.5 or so, it might reduce the evolution rates but it had no effect.

Is this possible? Any ideas?

Comments

• 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,552 Member
    edited April 2020
    Do you happen to play on a Tiny House lot? Or does your Sim have the super green thumb trait? Do you fertilize your plants with valuable fertilizer (50 Simoleons +)?

I'm asking because in my game at least, plants can hardly ever be evolved at all (without mods).
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • gettpsgettps Posts: 420 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    Do you happen to play on a Tiny House lot? Or does your Sim have the super green thumb trait? Do you fertilize your plants with valuable fertilizer (50 Simoleons +)?

I'm asking because in my game at least, plants can hardly ever be evolved at all (without mods).

No, I can't play Tiny lots. It evolves like twice a day then.

This question needs to be put on hold I think... They JUST came out with a new update... need to check everything for broken mods now. Likely gonna take a week before I can play again.
    edited April 2020
    83bienchen wrote: »

No, none of that. I'm not sure what's causing it. I have some mods that effect gardening but I tried it without them and it does the same thing.

I found the plant evolution tuning file and made some changes there. It seems to work better on the FIRST stage (Normal quality) but not after that. My first test resulted in a freshly planted plant to take a whole THREE days before it evolved! That's definitely an improvement!

The problem is, the default tuning files start plant evolution at 50 out of 100 on each stage. Every time it goes through an evolve check, it increases it by up to 30 points. This means every 2 checks results in an evolution. That's why it's evolving so darn fast.

I changed the starting evolution stage to 10 (because '1' results in a freshly planted plant to be dead. oops!) I then changed the stages from 10-20-30 to 1-2-3 and it's evolving much slower. But the subsequent evolution stages are still starting at 50 so I still need some work on it.

Edit:

Well, I figured it all out. Primary evolution stage and subsequent stages all start at 10 out of 100 and evolve no more than 3 per evolution progression (which is at least once a day). I've had plants growing two sim weeks and one has only evolved twice. Apparently there's one tuning file for the primary stage and a separate one for subsequent stages?!?!? So weird.

I'd consider putting this mod up on MTS, but I've never heard of anyone else having this problem. EVERYONE complains it's too slow but me. Mine's WAY too fast. I tried a TINY home once with the gardening boost? I never did it since. It was evolving at least twice a day. I couldn't keep up!
    Post edited by gettps on
    Well, I figured out more of it. Turns out I've been using a mod by Carl's. Supposed to increase the chances of combo spawns from spliced plants. Turns out a patch not long ago gave it a side effect of severely increasing evolve rates.

I'm currently... Adjusting... it.

With how much I've modded gardening, I'm seriously thinking about putting out a "Gardening Overhaul" mod...