Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sindocat's Brag Box

SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
It's been slow going over the past 12 months, getting the hang of TS4's build tools. I felt pretty adept in TS3, but when I migrated last May, the learning curve reset to 0, and it was steep. I don't have a lot of start-to-finish builds of my own, yet, but I am coming along. So I figured I could start my share thread, of projects that met or exceeded my expectations.

My inspiration is nearly always the setting I am playing in. I don't drastically make over worlds. I adjust lots where my Sims live, and eventually I'll ne moved to add something.

Today's share, a National Park lot that I built for Sulani. I'd been looking at the Admiral's Wreckage, which was an interesting, even inspired, build, and realizing that in my own current IP saves, I would never, ever use it. And then I thought, "You know, unused, it's about the biggest hunk of junk on Mua Pel'am. You'd think they'd salvage it and clean up the site, as part of the conservancy effort."

And then I realized, my retired legacy Founders are richer than Midas at this point. Imagine they made funding available from the family foundation to clean up the site? If they were to consult, say, the Elder of Ohan'ali Town as to what should be done with the site, what might she want to see instead?

I had been taken with the large festival terrace in Ohan'ali Town, and with the tall (purely decorative) pagoda-like shrine up on a hill at one end. And looking at the Child of the Isles trait that Keala Hoapili has, I dug a bit, and found out that, yes, sacred terrace enclosures are a thing all across the South Pacific, though different cultures do them differently. One term for such enclosures is mara'e. Alrighty, then!

Mara'e Tiki Mana is a National Park lot built on the site of the Admiral's Wreckage on Mua Pel'am. I had initially wanted to have it Off the Grid, but I dislike public lots without restrooms, and my initial shot at an OtG restroom wasn't really appealing. So I eliminated that Lot Trait, used the IP Community Lot restrooms placeable, and settled for Island Spirits as my Lot Trait. Aside from the temple terrace, there is a picnic area, a kalua cooking pit, a bonfire site, and a wedding arch.

DCC1lyH.png

3VpPPPV.png

Kor6ZnP.png

GefZGS4.png

ydtX1zZ.png

I went more for "rule of cool" with what I could build with BB assets, rather than trying to closely model any specific Polynesian style - It's simply Sulanese. Play-tested over a number of Conservation trips, and one elopement. I love how it came out.

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,521 Member
    Mara'e Tiki Mana is a very lovely National Park for Sulani! :) Very nice design and layout! Very nice temple terrace! Very nice exterior design and roofing! The tropical plants on terrace corners are lovely! The tiki torches and kraken leg are great touches. Very nice interior sitting area! The seating used is nice and pretty patterned rug. The candle and Kava bowls are a nice touch. Very nice grill firepit dining area! Sims will enjoy cooking meals on the firepit and dining at the picnic tables, Very lovely wedding arch area! The tropical arch, plants,and lights are very nice. It would be a very peaceful setting for getting married.
    It is a very nice place for Sims to enjoy visiting :)
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Thank you, @rosemow !

I am in love with the depth of design in Island Living, and the BB assets were inspiring to play with. :)
  • witchypiewitchypie Posts: 18 Member
    Absolutely gorgeous! It's so welcoming and cozy, yet spacious. Brilliant job!
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,779 Member
    Looks awesome! @Sindocat
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
    edited September 2020
    New build - actually two new builds - up on the Gallery, but in this post I am only going to detail the featured lot:

Tio7OFY.png

"The strongest stars have hearts of kyber," – Chirrut Îmwe

Kyber crystal, best known as the core element of lightsabers, is a rare mineral unique in its attunement to the Force, and it has been prized for this quality by many cultures across the Galaxy, from the Jedi and Sith, to the legendary healing temples of Mimban and Voss. Dai Bendu monks avoid taking a side in any conflict, maintaining strict neutrality, and prize kyber highly. This training temple is built to house an impressive collection of kyber which was saved from Imperial discovery and confiscation.

wNesoWi.png

Although it was the Jedi who invented the lightsaber, neutrality need not be unarmed, and this temple serves as a dojo for lightsaber combat, hosting sparring matches and occasional challenges. Teaching, and sparring between Dai Bendu students, takes place under the auspices of this guardian statue presiding over the Ashla-Bogan altar. Challenges between outsiders, or against a Dai Bendu defender, take place on the temple's rooftop terrace, beneath its guardian spires.

gx5z1UQ.png

But the Dai Bendu path is one of balance in all things: Opposition, yet harmony; competition, yet serenity. The body cannot progress except in harmony with the spirit. Cultivating that harmony is the real heart of the Dai Bendu way. The kyber temple therefore also maintains a meditation garden, for bodily training and mental discipline, around a pool of reflection housing one of the temple's most symmetrical kyber specimens.

MvXvWkN.png

GFytat4.png

Exertion leads to perspiration. Perspiration leads to uncleanliness. Uncleanliness leads to unwellness. The path of Disharmony this is. Drawing on Voss teachings, as well as the justly famous healing baths perfected on Ryloth, the Temple also uses kyber to infuse the therepeutic waters of its subterranean spa.

mhnkLdN.png

TW8JcTY.png

The Dai Bendu are not a profit-making order, however, and therefore the masseurs and masseuses employed are regrettebly not Twi'leks (who, when not constrained by terms of indenture, are canny about charging high wages) athough, when possible, they do go to Ryloth for training and certification. The Dai Bendu believe appropriate massage to be wholly beneficial, and do not endorse the dubious, aggrandizing claims of the Sith that "massage" shares the same root as the ancient Sith warrior-caste, "Massassi", and maintain that massage is by no means a dark side practice.

7226LdU.png

Herbal baths, including thermal baths and steam-baths are also supported. The relation of the Force to the lifecycle of perennial herbs, and of these to healing, is one of the Dai Bendu's deepest studies.

9bWxvZE.png

E0dc4fH.png

7aYmYl8.png

Thus, the healing arts are made literally foundational to the Temple mission. The baths lie in the underground vault, supporting the Sanctuary on the level of the meditation gardens, with the Terrace of Challenge amid the spires above.

Z8WM2VJ.png

v6ld6Vw.png

x7wufdH.png

Dai Bendu Kyber Temple is a Spa venue on a 40 x 30 lot. I do make use of Move Objects cheat extensively in this build - essential for some of the diagonal placements. Design is inspired by the architecture of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant, and aslo by the Sith Academy on Korriban in the Old Republic period, but is intended to reflect Light and Dark in balance. Available on my Gallery for download, link above.

9ck5PuX.png

Post edited by Sindocat on
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,521 Member
    edited September 2020
    Dai Bendu Kyber Temple is a very creatively designed build! :) You have designed each area so very well to reflect a certain activity or principle! Your descriptions of each area are written so very well, and are very lovely and explanatory! You have put so much time and special work both in creating the build and writing the background details and descriptions about it! Very lovely design, layout, and furnishing of each area, both outdoors and inside!
    It is a very special temple build :)
    Thanks for noticing, @rosemow ! I always appreciate your commentary.

Yes - the challenge of this build was to take it a step past "the shape of the building" - which was the task I set out to try for. Finding a harmonious purpose for each area, in keeping with the notional purpose of the building, turned out to be the hard part. If all I want it to be is a place for lightsaber fights, I could omit the garden and basement. But I thought about various temples used by Force adepts in the Star Wars franchise, and just kind of went from there.

I am admittedly a big Star Wars fan - but a picky one. ;) I actually prefer the Smuggler/Bounty-Hunter underworld side of the franchise to the Force users. My next build will be geared more toward that - a teen hangout treated as a regional shuttle depot and power station. :)
  • WintersEdge22WintersEdge22 Posts: 103 Member
    Your new temple looks fantastic! Such an amazing design and so many wonderful details! Great work! ^_^
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    The temples are amazing.