Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Make-yourself-simulator vs dollhouse simulator

13...Next

Comments

• NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited April 2020
    Magnezone wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    I feel like the Sims 4 is marketing towards being a Christian dollhouse game but yeah far from being a sandbox game. It is like nothing bad happens at all and everything feels fake. But makes sense since they were trying to make it into a movie game rather than a simulation game. Probably why the interactions feel so choppy and why the Sims feel like they are resetting all the time with errors that MCCC catches every time a Sim resets. My notification window fills fast with all the errors that are caught which is sad because I do have a decent custom build desktop. Poor Gumby Sims trapped in errors.

Not only that but an American Christian Dollhouse Simulator. In Seasons, its still beyond me why Harvestfest is a default holiday - this game is a worldwide phenomenon and only the US celebrated thanksgiving. As a European, the default of everything in game being so American centric is so weird given. They relatively make up such a small portion of the world.

I'm going to explain this.Thr reason was probably because of this was made in America .And most players are probably American.Note I'm not saying I'm against different culture in the game.I would love to see more tradable foreign worlds.Or towns inspire by other countries.I think even the first sims was to mimic American tv culture.Im had we can add, remove , and create our own holidays in Seasons.

If this game was made in the uk.The game would have a more UK feel.

Then why make Simlish specifically for the purpose of universalising everything and making it accessible to people regardless of what language they speak without the need for audio translations, only to then have all gameplay American-centric? You've kind of lost me there.

The reason for simlish because it easier.Than translating from English to all the languages..Im confuse so are you saying? Since they sell it to different countries.Which most games do. It's weird for them to make it mostly American?They sell it to other countries because they get sales.

The Sims are not American. They don't speak English. They speak Simlish. You agree to that, right? Then why try to avoid the language for "accessibility" then make it so American oriented anyway, is what I'm saying.

It seems it was never about accessibility and making a neutral culture and tone, and was just about the ease part and making sure the dialogue doesn't drive English speakers insane by making it complete nonsense to everyone. I wouldn't mind if they were just honest about it - but they keep bringing up this "Simlish was created because it's universal and it's a mixture of tons of languages because we find culture sooo interesting" stuff.

Even the first iteration was just to poke fun at American sitcom culture. So all the franchise iterations must follow this theme to poke fun at certain American culture aspects in an exaggerated fashion. Like when I say this iteration is basically about a bunch of tech obsessed sims who are NOT very smart.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    I feel like the Sims 4 is marketing towards being a Christian dollhouse game but yeah far from being a sandbox game. It is like nothing bad happens at all and everything feels fake. But makes sense since they were trying to make it into a movie game rather than a simulation game. Probably why the interactions feel so choppy and why the Sims feel like they are resetting all the time with errors that MCCC catches every time a Sim resets. My notification window fills fast with all the errors that are caught which is sad because I do have a decent custom build desktop. Poor Gumby Sims trapped in errors.

Not only that but an American Christian Dollhouse Simulator. In Seasons, its still beyond me why Harvestfest is a default holiday - this game is a worldwide phenomenon and only the US celebrated thanksgiving. As a European, the default of everything in game being so American centric is so weird given. They relatively make up such a small portion of the world.

I'm going to explain this.Thr reason was probably because of this was made in America .And most players are probably American.Note I'm not saying I'm against different culture in the game.I would love to see more tradable foreign worlds.Or towns inspire by other countries.I think even the first sims was to mimic American tv culture.Im had we can add, remove , and create our own holidays in Seasons.

If this game was made in the uk.The game would have a more UK feel.

Then why make Simlish specifically for the purpose of universalising everything and making it accessible to people regardless of what language they speak without the need for audio translations, only to then have all gameplay American-centric? You've kind of lost me there.

The reason for simlish because it easier.Than translating from English to all the languages..Im confuse so are you saying? Since they sell it to different countries.Which most games do. It's weird for them to make it mostly American?They sell it to other countries because they get sales.

The Sims are not American. They don't speak English. They speak Simlish. You agree to that, right? Then why try to avoid the language for "accessibility" then make it so American oriented anyway, is what I'm saying.

It seems it was never about accessibility and making a neutral culture and tone, and was just about the ease part and making sure the dialogue doesn't drive English speakers insane by making it complete nonsense to everyone. I wouldn't mind if they were just honest about it - but they keep bringing up this "Simlish was created because it's universal and it's a mixture of tons of languages because we find culture sooo interesting" stuff.

It was not about neutral culture.In sims 1 development.They said the reason for siminish.Was because they would not need translator. For sims 1 they made it a parody of American culture .The sims games are mostly American base.This dosen't means they are not going to add world, objects , clothes that are foreignn base.But most of the game is going to be American base.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I made a self-Sim once. It was super uncomfortable for me. I definitely identify as a dollhouse player, and making great interiors for my Sims to live in is half my fun. Sandboxing around with my bohemian Sims is the rest.

Marketing is an odd field. I don't need it to speak to or for me - I am already a customer. So are you. Their job is to try to find who isn't playing that would be. It's a surprisingly complex endeavor.

None of the TS4 advertising moved me at all while I was still absorbed in TS3. I found it pushy. I also wanted to give the new title time to mature - get some packs under its metaphorical belt, and resolve the more critical bugs - before I migrated over.

If anyone in Marketing is interested to know, what finally did the trick was offering the base game for free. I've happily (if selectively) spent money on it since.