Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Make-yourself-simulator vs dollhouse simulator

Comments

• ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited April 2020
    I only played Sunset Valley until the City pack came out, and then I played that. The reason? Because you were locked into a world, the City one was the ONLY map I could fit everything I wanted into the world and still have actual households. Because of the fact that you had an "open" world which didn't let you leave that world.

Hi, just wanted to point out that you are NEVER locked into a TS3 world. Without mods, all the worlds have access to China, Egypt, France, the university town, and three versions of the future world. With the Traveler mod, you can go to even more - just install any or all the worlds made for the TS3. That would be hundreds of worlds of all sizes and environments. In TS4 - you're stuck with whatever EAxis made which isn't a whole lot compared to TS3's worlds. And those TS4 worlds are TINY. Don't call them worlds - they're really just small neighborhoods.

I never liked Riverview compared to Sunset valley; I would have loved to play in Twinbrooke but the map was so small you had to sacrifice 90% of things you got in expansion packs if you wanted to play there and so on.

All TS3 worlds are editable! I don't know why you had so much trouble with it. Someone else managed to revamp Twinbrook and added in all the expansion packs except Into the Future. But TS3 being highly editable, you can add new lots to this world most anywhere you want. Here's what someone did to update Twinbrook to give you an idea of what TS3 can do.

So not really sure why you couldn't fit in everything you wanted. TS3 has more tools than TS4 to make the worlds truly yours - the only thing that would prevent that is either ignorance of these tools and capabilities that TS3 has and/or lack of creativity/thinking outside the box.

As I said, I never played Twinbrooke, really; the few times I tried I got so annoyed I couldn't fit everything I wanted in that I started over on another map, as usual. I guess I missed that; they were ugly so I never talked to them. (Who me shallow?)

In a game the most important feature is the gameplay - not the graphic artstyle. There isn't much gameplay in TS4 so I wouldn't even need to play it. If I wanted to enjoy TS4 artstyle, I just have to look at screenshots.

Anyway, there are a wide variety of skins that people use if they don't like the look of the TS3 sims. For me, I just use one skin - one of Navetsea's, no sliders or makeup add-ons. So for people who complain about the look of the sims, just google for TS3 skins - there's a wide variety and you'll be able to find something you'll like. Skins by Ephemera and Navetsea are the most well-known and popular.

However, having different towns set in different eras does not work if you can travel between them freely. And that is the one benefit Sims 4 has over all the other games: You are not locked in the world you start in. And if I have to chose between the two? Heck yes I take Sims 4's approach EVERY. TIME. Being locked in one world felt so very very limiting in Sims 3 after the charade of the "Open world" is clear to you (Yay you can go everywhere but you can never leave).

Yeah, that's the false mantra being touted about TS3 now but I have proven this to be untrue. The benefit of being able to jump from one world to another for TS4 is hollow though because those worlds are not even worlds, but tiny, TINY little neighborhoods with only a few lots each. So you would HAVE to jump from one world to another because it gets so boring just staying in one TS4 neighborhood. Moreover, you can't create new neighborhoods or even add lots of any size - you can't even move the current lots around to different areas of the neighborhood or change their size!

I don't know how you can stand having to play those tiny neighborhoods TS4 has - especially the older ones you've had for the past six years, since you can't add and create your own. You can't even edit the TS4 neighborhoods to change their look. So BORING!

So if I had to choose between the two? Heck yes, I take The Sims 3 over all the other games (even TS1 and TS2)!

So, what is needed here if you want to play a new era is simply a spinoff. Like Castaway or Medieval. That's the only way this will function. And that I am all for, btw. I would probably buy a new "Sims 4" Medieval.

Meh, the way the TS4 developers are, it would probably be half baked, with a lot of the features that made TS3 Medieval so fun taken out, "because it would be too difficult and too expensive".

Post edited by ClarionOfJoy on
    I only played Sunset Valley until the City pack came out, and then I played that. The reason? Because you were locked into a world, the City one was the ONLY map I could fit everything I wanted into the world and still have actual households. Because of the fact that you had an "open" world which didn't let you leave that world.

Just want to let you know that Bridgeport is not the only city map that TS3 has. In my previous post, I had mentioned that TS3 world creators have produced hundreds of maps for TS3 simmers to enjoy. Here are some more TS3 cities:

Someone even "city-fied" Sunset Valley!

You can find lots more here: The Best Sims 3 Worlds

Someone should post screenshots of the new tiny TS4 neighborhoods TS4 simmers have created. Oh that's right. No one can, because there's no Create a World for it! :D

• BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited April 2020
    Hi, just wanted to point out that you are NEVER locked into a TS3 world. Without mods, all the worlds have access to China, Egypt, France, the university town, and three versions of the future world. With the Traveler mod, you can go to even more - just install any or all the worlds made for the TS3. That would be hundreds of worlds of all sizes and environments. In TS4 - you're stuck with whatever EAxis made which isn't a whole lot compared to TS3's worlds. And those TS4 worlds are TINY. Don't call them worlds - they're really just small neighborhoods.

1. Mods doesn't count.
    2. None of those worlds are interesting. I never liked the World Adventure and only used it for two things: Go to China ONCE per family to learn martial arts and get the training dummy and use the plants for build mode.
    3. Again, mods doesn't count when discussing game features. I also don't like using them in general (I only have two mods in Sims 4: MCCC and Meaningful Stories. No CC, no other mods).
    All TS3 worlds are editable! I don't know why you had so much trouble with it. Someone else managed to revamp Twinbrook and added in all the expansion packs except Into the Future. But TS3 being highly editable, you can add new lots to this world most anywhere you want. Here's what someone did to update Twinbrook to give you an idea of what TS3 can do.

Yes they are editable if you have the time and find it interesting to learn the modding tools. For us who only deleted lots and put in new ones... You had very limited space.
    Yeah, that's the false mantra being touted about TS3 now but I have proven this to be untrue. The benefit of being able to jump from one world to another for TS4 is hollow though because those worlds are not even worlds, but tiny, TINY little neighborhoods with only a few lots each. So you would HAVE to jump from one world to another because it gets so boring just staying in one TS4 neighborhood. Moreover, you can't create new neighborhoods or even add lots of any size - you can't even move the current lots around to different areas of the neighborhood or change their size!

if you can't do it without mods, it is not "false".
    Also again, the vacation worlds are not proper worlds, so I don't count them.
    As for the rest, agree to disagree. I vastly prefer Sims 4's world system over Sims 3's. Sims 3's was (again, without mods) trapping you in one world. Yes it was editable, but if you didn't have the skill or the patience... And of course even for me that had a mid range gaming PC, the game ran like it thought it was Crysis or something. I did try a number of custom worlds but most were... not very good, or suffered from bugs (because not supported properly) or empty, which meant nothing but potato heads in random clothing showing up.

Now, if Maxis had expanded every world with every pack and added all the buildings in (like creating new lots in Sunset Valley like a fire station or a nightclub when those packs came) that would have been awesome. As it actually functioned you basically (again, without mods) had to chose between "In this game my family will never ever ever visit a nightclub" or "in this game my family will never ever ever be a fireman, or build a Simbot, or..."
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
    edited April 2020

1. Mods doesn't count.

Yeah right. If mods don't count in TS3, then they don't count in TS4. Which means that TS4 doesn't even run properly without mods. Which means sims don't do what they're suppose to do without mods. Which means you lose most of the interesting gameplay that mods actually add to that boring game.

At least in TS3, it's not necessary to install mods to make the sims work properly or to add gameplay since there is already so much of it. I've recently been playing the game today without mods and there was a lot to do and lots of places to go.

There is also a way to go to another world without mods. You make a backup of the original worlds, China, Egypt and France, and then put a copy of a world you want your sim to go into that folder. Rename it to one of the WA worlds, and there you have it! My sim was able to go to Isla Paradiso on vacation without the Traveler mod!

3. None of those worlds are interesting. I never liked the World Adventure and only used it for two things: Go to China ONCE per family to learn martial arts and get the training dummy and use the plants for build mode.

You only mentioned China and didn't go to the other two worlds and didn't utilize all that those worlds offered? Then that's not the fault of the game, is it? That is the fault of your own rigidity.

With the World Adventure EP, you get three distinct worlds - each with their own sims people, songs, food, books, insects, metals, gems, architectural design, and three different but beautiful landscapes. Each one introduced a new skill that wasn't shallow. They all made for very deep gameplay. And of course all the tomb explorations! There's also relic collecting which you can sell or be like Indiana Jones and add them to the museum.

1. Shang Simla (China)
    Shang%2BSimla%2B2%2B-%2BThe%2BSims%2B3%2BWorld%2BAdventures.jpg
    the-sims-3-world-adventures-20091009021109892_640w.jpg

Major skill introduced in this world: Martial Arts
    Minor skill: Meditation and Ninja Teleporting

What you see in the picture is just a small portion of the map by the way. It is beautiful and has so many interesting places to go. I'm posting a link to Carl's guide for other readers so that they will know all the good fun things they can do just in that one world alone.

And that is just the first world! Here are the other two!

2. Al Simhara (Egypt)
    Screenshot-534.jpg

Major skill introduced: Photography
    Minor Skill: Snake Charming

Carl's Sims 3 Guide to Al Simhara (Egypt)

3. Champs Les Sims (France)
    maxresdefault.jpg

Major skill introduced: Nectar Making

Carl's Sims 3 Guide to Champs Les Sims (France)

What do you get in TS4's Jungle Adventure? ONE tiny neighborhood to explore. Oooh! That's so exciting! Yeah, that's going to keep people busy for many years to come. <*Dripping Sarcasm*>

TS3 has dozens of tombs to explore. And there's more from TS3 simmers who have designed their own tomb lots.

And the nice things about these worlds is that you can create more worlds with these resources. Or even edit these worlds and add or subtract lots.

You can't do any of that in any TS4 tiny neighborhood. SO BORING!

5. Again, mods doesn't count when discussing game features. I also don't like using them in general (I only have two mods in Sims 4: MCCC and Meaningful Stories. No CC, no other mods).

You're only setting up these rules for this discussion because you know Sims 4 doesn't have much to begin with. So you want to "limit" TS3 as well. Okay. If you want to go by those rules, I can use MasterController and Overwatch, but I don't need to. Unlike with TS4 which actually needs mods to make it playable and interesting. Because even without those NRAAS mods, my sims work properly and do what they're suppose to do. Plus TS3 has more gameplay that works properly. Most of the little gameplay in TS4 doesn't or can't even exist without mods.

You can't even do any work-arounds for TS4 like in TS3. For example, if you don't want to use any traveler mod, as I had mentioned before, you can still send your sims to other worlds.

So I'm glad that TS3 still has so many playable options! It has far more working features than TS4 without mods.

Yes they are editable if you have the time and find it interesting to learn the modding tools. For us who only deleted lots and put in new ones... You had very limited space.

*Shrug* I'm not a modder either and I'm not a TS3 world builder. But I've been able to change all the TS3 worlds I play to just the way that I want them. I don't find it very interesting or fun when one can only work with the few lots each tiny TS4 neighborhood has. You can't add more lots, can't change the size of the current lots and you can't move them around! And on top of that, you can't even change how those tiny TS4 neighborhoods look. Again, TS4 just doesn't allow for much creativity and options. That's one of the reasons why I don't play it. It's just so restrictive which makes it so boring.

As for the rest, agree to disagree. I vastly prefer Sims 4's world system over Sims 3's. Sims 3's was (again, without mods) trapping you in one world. Yes it was editable, but if you didn't have the skill or the patience... And of course even for me that had a mid range gaming PC, the game ran like it thought it was Crysis or something. I did try a number of custom worlds but most were... not very good, or suffered from bugs (because not supported properly) or empty, which meant nothing but potato heads in random clothing showing up.

Again, that's just you setting the "rules" of this discussion to try to limit what TS3 can do to try to make TS4 look "more". But even with the limitations you've set for this conversation, TS3 still has a lot more playable and interesting gameplay and mechanics without mods. I played TS3 for quite a long time without mods until I got to Island Paradise. But let's say I wanted to scuba dive and do all the fun water and beach activities that Island Paradise has without mods, all I need to to do is use one of the many fan-made worlds to play. There are always options with TS3. Not so much with TS4.

And compare TS3's HUGE vacation worlds with many different lots and the whole world itself to explore, to TS4's tiny vacation neighborhoods with only a few lots that might be interesting for the initial 10 minutes. Yeah. A TS3 vacation world still gives you more bang for your buck than any of TS4's tiny vacation neighborhoods.

Also, I don't believe you at all when you say that most of the custom worlds you've tried were not very good. Every TS3 world creator gives each world plenty of time and quality test their worlds with the help of the TS3 community to make sure they run fine without lags or routing issues. Also TS3 world creators would want you to report if you see any problem with their worlds. Did you? Which worlds did you visit? I'll let those world creators know that you thought their worlds were problematic and "not good" so that they can fix them.

A good example of how TS3 world creators develop their worlds with the help of the TS3 community to quality check their worlds is the recent release: Sunset Valley 2020

And most TS3 world creators are this way.

By the way, I played Crysis and it works fine on my ancient computer with the 4gb and integrated Intel graphics. So I'm starting to think that the problem isn't so much the games, but more you.

Now, if Maxis had expanded every world with every pack and added all the buildings in (like creating new lots in Sunset Valley like a fire station or a nightclub when those packs came) that would have been awesome. As it actually functioned you basically (again, without mods) had to chose between "In this game my family will never ever ever visit a nightclub" or "in this game my family will never ever ever be a fireman, or build a Simbot, or..."

This shows me that you either have never played TS3 or haven't played it much enough to know better. When the second EP, Ambitions, came out and is installed into the game, it gives an option when you start playing a new world to automatically add the firestation, salon, etc. etc. Same thing with Showtime, Supernatural and Pet commercial venues. With the Seasons EP, all the big parks get replaced with holiday versions of those parks. But you don't seem to know that!

Also, I don't know if it ever dawned on you, but if you wanted to place a specific lot from an EP into your world, you can do that - without mods even. ??? All you do is place an empty lot of any size up to 64x64 most anywhere you want in your world, update its type to what you want and then put any community or residential lot you want there. This is BASIC TS3 101. Every TS3 player knows this! I've even put in all the lots myself that I like from every EP into the worlds I play - with no mods and no problems. Where did you get the idea that you need mods for that? This is why I don't think you've really played TS3 to know what you're talking about.

edited April 2020

1. Mods doesn't count.

Yeah right. If mods don't count in TS3, then they don't count in TS4. Which means that TS4 doesn't even run properly without mods. Which means sims don't do what they're suppose to do without mods. Which means you lose most of the interesting gameplay that mods actually add to that boring game.

At least in TS3, it's not necessary to install mods to make the sims work properly or to add gameplay since there is already so much of it. I've recently been playing the game today without mods and there was a lot to do and lots of places to go.

There is also a way to go to another world without mods. You make a backup of the original worlds, China, Egypt and France, and then put a copy of a world you want your sim to go into that folder. Rename it to one of the WA worlds, and there you have it! My sim was able to go to Isla Paradiso on vacation without the Traveler mod!

3. None of those worlds are interesting. I never liked the World Adventure and only used it for two things: Go to China ONCE per family to learn martial arts and get the training dummy and use the plants for build mode.

You only mentioned China and didn't go to the other two worlds and didn't utilize all that those worlds offered? Then that's not the fault of the game, is it? That is the fault of your own rigidity.

With the World Adventure EP, you get three distinct worlds - each with their own sims people, songs, food, books, insects, metals, gems, architectural design, and three different but beautiful landscapes. Each one introduced a new skill that wasn't shallow. They all made for very deep gameplay. And of course all the tomb explorations!

1. Shang Simla (China)
    Shang%2BSimla%2B2%2B-%2BThe%2BSims%2B3%2BWorld%2BAdventures.jpg
    the-sims-3-world-adventures-20091009021109892_640w.jpg

Major skill introduced in this world: Martial Arts
    Minor skill: Meditation and Ninja Teleporting

What you see in the picture is just a small portion of the map by the way. It is beautiful and has so many interesting places to go. I'm posting a link to Carl's guide for other readers so that they will know all the good fun things they can do just in that one world alone.

And that is just the first world! Here are the other two!

2. Al Simhara (Egypt)
    Screenshot-534.jpg

Major skill introduced: Photography
    Minor Skill: Snake Charming

Carl's Sims 3 Guide to Al Simhara (Egypt)

3. Champs Les Sims (France)
    maxresdefault.jpg

Major skill introduced: Nectar Making

Carl's Sims 3 Guide to Champs Les Sims (France)

What do you get in TS4's Jungle Adventure? ONE tiny neighborhood to explore. Oooh! That's so exciting! Yeah, that's going to keep people busy for many years to come. <*Dripping Sarcasm*>

TS3 has dozens of tombs to explore. And there's more from TS3 simmers who have designed their own tomb lots.

And the nice things about these worlds is that you can create more worlds with these resources. Or even edit these worlds and add or subtract lots.

You can't do any of that in any TS4 tiny neighborhood. SO BORING!

5. Again, mods doesn't count when discussing game features. I also don't like using them in general (I only have two mods in Sims 4: MCCC and Meaningful Stories. No CC, no other mods).

You're only setting up these rules for this discussion because you know Sims 4 doesn't have much to begin with. So you want to "limit" TS3 as well. Okay. If you want to go by those rules, I can use MasterController and Overwatch, but I don't need to. Unlike with TS4 which actually needs mods to make it playable and interesting. Because even without those NRAAS mods, my sims work properly and do what they're suppose to do. Plus TS3 has more gameplay that works properly. Most of the little gameplay in TS4 doesn't or can't even exist without mods.

You can't even do any work-arounds for TS4 like in TS3. For example, if you don't want to use any traveler mod, as I had mentioned before, you can still send your sims to other worlds.

So I'm glad that TS3 still has so many playable options! It has far more working features than TS4 without mods.

*Shrug* I'm not a modder either and I'm not a TS3 world builder. But I've been able to change all the TS3 worlds I play to just the way that I want them. I don't find it very interesting or fun when one can only work with the few lots each tiny TS4 neighborhood has. You can't add more lots, can't change the size of the current lots and you can't move them around! And on top of that, you can't even change how those tiny TS4 neighborhoods look. Again, TS4 just doesn't allow for much creativity and options. That's one of the reasons why I don't play it. It's just so restrictive which makes it so boring.

Again, that's just you setting the "rules" of this discussion to try to limit what TS3 can do to try to make TS4 look "more". But even with the limitations you've set for this conversation, TS3 still has a lot more playable and interesting gameplay and mechanics without mods. I played TS3 for quite a long time without mods until I got to Island Paradise. If I really didn't want to install mods but want to scuba dive and do all the fun water and beach activities that Island Paradise has, all I need to to do is use one of the many fan-made worlds to play.

And compare TS3's HUGE vacation worlds with many different lots and the whole world itself to explore, to TS4's tiny vacation neighborhoods with only a few lots that might be interesting for the initial 10 minutes. Yeah. A TS3 vacation world still gives you more bang for your buck than any of TS4's tiny vacation neighborhoods.

Also, I don't believe you at all when you say that most of the custom worlds you've tried were not very good. Every TS3 world creator gives each world plenty of time and quality test their worlds with the help of the TS3 community to make sure they run fine without lags or routing issues. Also TS3 world creators would want you to report if you see any problem with their worlds.

By the way, I played Crysis and it works fine on my ancient computer with the 4gb and integrated Intel graphics. So I'm starting to think that the problem isn't so much the games, but more you.

This shows me that you either have never played TS3 or haven't played it much enough to know better. When the second EP, Ambitions, came out and is installed into the game, it gives an option when you start playing a new world to automatically add the firestation, salon, etc. etc. Same thing with Showtime, Supernatural and Pet commercial venues. With the Seasons EP, all the big parks get replaced with holiday versions of those parks. But you don't seem to know that!

Also, I don't know if it ever dawned on you, but if you wanted to place a specific lot from an EP into your world, you can do that - without mods even. ??? All you do is place an empty lot of any size up to 64x64 most anywhere you want in your world, update its type to what you want and then put any community or residential lot you want there. This is BASIC TS3 101. Every TS3 player knows this! I've even put in all the lots myself that I like from every EP into the worlds I play - with no mods and no problems. Where did you get the idea that you need mods for that? This is why I don't think you've really played TS3 to know what you're talking about.

Of course I tried all the travel pack features. They were boring and pointless
    , the crypt thing for example was just annoying. The "Nectar" thing in France was just... I can't even remember what the point was with it actually.
    I just don't like vacations in Sims. the Holiday pack in Sims 1 was horribad. So was it in Sims 2. And boring in Sims 3. Outdoor Living in Sims 4 is the only expansion pack I truly regret buing even on sale, it adds absolutely nothing to the game, is just tedious and boring. (Oddly enough I really enjoy Jungle Adventure tho, unlike Outdoor Living)

So, therefore after trying everything in that pack once, I only used one vacation world, and that was China, and I only played it once with every family and only to get the training dummy, and then you never had to go there again for as long as you played that family.

As for the rest: No. I am not being arbitrary or moving goalposts. I have played 2200 hours of Sims 4 so far, most of the time completely without mods and I have enjoyed it a lot.
    So no, Mods is not a valid argument when talking about ANY game. Not Sims, not Fallout, not Skyrim, Mass Effect, Dragon Age or any other. When you compare game features across games saying "Oh but you can fix that with mods" is not a plus, or a feature. It a minus, not a plus.
  • MagnezoneMagnezone Posts: 212 Member
    edited April 2020
    Of course I tried all the travel pack features. They were boring and pointless[/b], the crypt thing for example was just annoying. The "Nectar" thing in France was just... I can't even remember what the point was with it actually.
    I just don't like vacations in Sims. the Holiday pack in Sims 1 was horribad. So was it in Sims 2. And boring in Sims 3. Outdoor Living in Sims 4 is the only expansion pack I truly regret buing even on sale, it adds absolutely nothing to the game, is just tedious and boring. (Oddly enough I really enjoy Jungle Adventure tho, unlike Outdoor Living)

So, therefore after trying everything in that pack once, I only used one vacation world, and that was China, and I only played it once with every family and only to get the training dummy, and then you never had to go there again for as long as you played that family.

As for the rest: No. I am not being arbitrary or moving goalposts. I have played 2200 hours of Sims 4 so far, most of the time completely without mods and I have enjoyed it a lot.
    So no, Mods is not a valid argument when talking about ANY game. Not Sims, not Fallout, not Skyrim, Mass Effect, Dragon Age or any other. When you compare game features across games saying "Oh but you can fix that with mods" is not a plus, or a feature. It a minus, not a plus.

Hey there - first off, if you're going to quote someone, please don't quote their entire post, basically reposting what they're saying again. it floods the discussion making it harder to navigate. quote the relevant part.

Second of all, I love the holiday packs. I liked the tombs in World Adventures even if they get frustrating. I liked Nectar Making, in fact it's a pretty in depth skill, way more in depth than anything The Sims 4 has to offer. Photography (and skills in general) are waaaay more developed in The Sims 3. And even comparing the joke that is Outdoor Living to how immense and full of content World Adventures is, is.... laughable, honestly. At the end of the day though, if you don't like the tombs and the adventuring gameplay, you're not going to like World Adventures.

With that said, you said "what was the point of nectar making". If you're going to argue that, what's the point in skills in general? What's the point in painting, for example, or writing? Since they're the most apt base game comparisons.

Nectar sold for money. If made well, it sold for a LOT of money ($700+ per bottle), and could potentially be a very fast way to make money once you have good, well fertilised crops grown. You could make bottles of nectar faster and more idly than you could paint. You could easily make nectar and have a job, whereas balancing writing and a career? Not as easy.

Just because something isn't made for you, doesn't mean it's bad. World Adventures is niche, and I'll admit that, but in terms of content, it has far more than pretty much any The Sims 4 pack. Same with literally every The Sims 3 pack.

Onto your opinion of worlds though...

I also am glad you can enjoy The Sims 4 for 2200 hours. I wish I could. I build cute sims and cute houses to take screenshots, play a new pack for a little when it comes out, then stop playing and go back to The Sims 2 or 3 because they have so much more to offer in terms of content, and as @ClarionOfJoy said the neighborhoods in The Sims 4 are all tiny and non-customisable, and you can do EXACTLY what you're asking in The Sims 2 anyway.

Something tells me with the way you speak, you've never played The Sims 2, or at least to its full potential, because unlike 3, you don't even need a seperate Create-a-World tool or to download ANYTHING to make new worlds. You can make new worlds from blank presets and add lots at your leisure. If you really want to make your own terrain, you do it in SC4, but it's not necessary to make a new world.

By the way, do you consider gallery sims to be "mods"? If so, how is downloading a town from The Sims 3 Exchange (albeit it's kind of dead now) any different from getting a Sim off the gallery? By doing this, you can have as many towns in as many different sizes as you like, with no CC necessary.

In either of those games, you can add everything that's part of the other neighborhoods in The Sims 4, into your base neighborhood. You don't need all of those little neighborhoods which have like 10-12 lots each max? 3-5 of which you'll likely take up with community lots anyway? Some like Midnight Hollow have even less. Even if you couldn't add lots, which you can with CaW, Sunset Valley, with 92 lots, likely has as many lots by default as there is in the entirety of The Sims 4 up to this point, and far more than TS4 did on release. Sure, The Sims 3 had rabbit holes, but even if you took them out, you still have a LOT of lots. So your talk about how worlds weren't big enough for everything you wanted, yet you're content with The Sims 4? It's a load of bull, frankly.

There is no way you can seriously argue that The Sims 4 has better worlds. It's ridiculous.

Edit: I'd also like to add I use no mods for The Sims 3, whatsoever, except error trap and intro cutscene skip. I use no script mods in TS4. 2 is the only game I use script mods, and they're entirely irrelevant to this conversation, so please don't bring mod talk into this. my game is NOT modded.
    My blog full of things that never get finished!
    XVlamuQ.png
    Magnezone, the lover of Calientes, Lotharios, Landgraabs and Curiouses everywhere.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Magnezone wrote: »

There is no way you can seriously argue that The Sims 4 has better worlds. It's ridiculous.

Of course they can. It's called personal preference. It's entirely in the perspective of the player and their gameplay needs. It's like arguing which is better... Coke or Pepsi, PC or Mac, McDonald's or Burger King... no one is "right".

I also like the Sims 4 worlds much better than Sims 3's and even Sims 2, which is my favorite iteration. I'd prefer some of them weren't as small, but I definitely like having a large variety of environments to choose from and the freedom to jump easily between them. And aesthetically I like them a whole lot more than the others.

As for functionality, they do fall flat where lots cannot be changed or moved and there is no environmental tool. I want nothing more than to bulldoze all of the playgrounds and cookout sites. So that was a very bad design choice, in my opinion. But even so, I still like Sims 4 worlds better in general.
    #Team Occult
    edited April 2020
    LiELF wrote: »
    Of course they can. It's called personal preference. It's entirely in the perspective of the player and their gameplay needs. It's like arguing which is better... Coke or Pepsi, PC or Mac, McDonald's or Burger King... no one is "right".

I also like the Sims 4 worlds much better than Sims 3's and even Sims 2, which is my favorite iteration. I'd prefer some of them weren't as small, but I definitely like having a large variety of environments to choose from and the freedom to jump easily between them. And aesthetically I like them a whole lot more than the others.

As for functionality, they do fall flat where lots cannot be changed or moved and there is no environmental tool. I want nothing more than to bulldoze all of the playgrounds and cookout sites. So that was a very bad design choice, in my opinion. But even so, I still like Sims 4 worlds better in general.

Functionality is what he's arguing though. He's arguing the worlds function better, not that they're prettier. They are - I agree. But they don't function better by any given metric, even if you call it a "preference".

Edit: also, im not talking about the base worlds. I.e. strangetown vs sunset valley vs oasis springs. I'm talking about worlds as a concept, as a function.
    XVlamuQ.png
    Magnezone, the lover of Calientes, Lotharios, Landgraabs and Curiouses everywhere.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited April 2020
    I would not mind the all individualism, but the personalities of all the sims 4 are basically the same with the emotion system, so theyre not really that individualistic besides appearance and career choices. The sims team also pick and choose what lifestyles they want in the game so really there is still bias and/or some not being representented.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
    Of course I tried all the travel pack features. They were boring and pointless, the crypt thing for example was just annoying. The "Nectar" thing in France was just... I can't even remember what the point was with it actually.

It's clear you didn't really read my post too closely - especially about the use of mods, lol! You answered nothing!

Hey there - first off, if you're going to quote someone, please don't quote their entire post, basically reposting what they're saying again. it floods the discussion making it harder to navigate. quote the relevant part.

Second of all, I love the holiday packs. I liked the tombs in World Adventures even if they get frustrating. I liked Nectar Making, in fact it's a pretty in depth skill, way more in depth than anything The Sims 4 has to offer. Photography (and skills in general) are waaaay more developed in The Sims 3. And even comparing the joke that is Outdoor Living to how immense and full of content World Adventures is, is.... laughable, honestly. At the end of the day though, if you don't like the tombs and the adventuring gameplay, you're not going to like World Adventures.

With that said, you said "what was the point of nectar making". If you're going to argue that, what's the point in skills in general? What's the point in painting, for example, or writing? Since they're the most apt base game comparisons.

Nectar sold for money. If made well, it sold for a LOT of money ($700+ per bottle), and could potentially be a very fast way to make money once you have good, well fertilised crops grown. You could make bottles of nectar faster and more idly than you could paint. You could easily make nectar and have a job, whereas balancing writing and a career? Not as easy.

Just because something isn't made for you, doesn't mean it's bad. World Adventures is niche, and I'll admit that, but in terms of content, it has far more than pretty much any The Sims 4 pack. Same with literally every The Sims 3 pack.

Onto your opinion of worlds though...

I also am glad you can enjoy The Sims 4 for 2200 hours. I wish I could. I build cute sims and cute houses to take screenshots, play a new pack for a little when it comes out, then stop playing and go back to The Sims 2 or 3 because they have so much more to offer in terms of content, and as @ClarionOfJoy said the neighborhoods in The Sims 4 are all tiny and non-customisable, and you can do EXACTLY what you're asking in The Sims 2 anyway.

Something tells me with the way you speak, you've never played The Sims 2, or at least to its full potential, because unlike 3, you don't even need a seperate Create-a-World tool or to download ANYTHING to make new worlds. You can make new worlds from blank presets and add lots at your leisure. If you really want to make your own terrain, you do it in SC4, but it's not necessary to make a new world.

By the way, do you consider gallery sims to be "mods"? If so, how is downloading a town from The Sims 3 Exchange (albeit it's kind of dead now) any different from getting a Sim off the gallery? By doing this, you can have as many towns in as many different sizes as you like, with no CC necessary.

In either of those games, you can add everything that's part of the other neighborhoods in The Sims 4, into your base neighborhood. You don't need all of those little neighborhoods which have like 10-12 lots each max? 3-5 of which you'll likely take up with community lots anyway? Some like Midnight Hollow have even less. Even if you couldn't add lots, which you can with CaW, Sunset Valley, with 92 lots, likely has as many lots by default as there is in the entirety of The Sims 4 up to this point, and far more than TS4 did on release. Sure, The Sims 3 had rabbit holes, but even if you took them out, you still have a LOT of lots. So your talk about how worlds weren't big enough for everything you wanted, yet you're content with The Sims 4? It's a load of bull, frankly.

Edit: I'd also like to add I use no mods for The Sims 3, whatsoever, except error trap and intro cutscene skip. I use no script mods in TS4. 2 is the only game I use script mods, and they're entirely irrelevant to this conversation, so please don't bring mod talk into this. my game is NOT modded.

@Magnezone - Awesome post! And yes, your post deserves requoting! I agree with everything in your post, but especially the parts I bolded. :)

TS2 and TS3 really are just much better games than TS4, but they often get maligned - especially TS3 - to promote TS4.

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member

Functionality is what he's arguing though. He's arguing the worlds function better, not that they're prettier. They are - I agree. But they don't function better by any given metric, even if you call it a "preference".

Edit: also, im not talking about the base worlds. I.e. strangetown vs sunset valley vs oasis springs. I'm talking about worlds as a concept, as a function.

I see where you're coming from, but preference is still a very big factor and functionality remains debatable. If someone isn't a builder and doesn't care at all about that aspect of the game, then moving lots and changing the world environment isn't going to mean anything to them. So it does actually come down to what the player wants from the world and from the game.

Without mods, Sims 3's worlds kind of lock the player into them. You can't move a household to another world without losing something or having consequences. There are worlds that can be visited, sure, but if you're the kind of player who likes to change environments, move Sims around, or colonize and have Sims living in different regions or settings, it can actually feel very limiting, no matter the size.

When I played Sims 2, I had Sims living in various worlds yet they were able to still meet and interact on community lots and I could switch what cities and towns they lived in. Community lots were always thriving, the same in Sims 4. When I played Sims 3, my nightclub had hardly any Sims in it, which defeated the purpose of using it. Community lots were very sparse (when they weren't rabbit hole buildings, which I can't stand.) The large world was also very cumbersome and twitchy to me and it was harder for me to do things quickly or keep track of locations and Sims in the world. The world mechanics didn't seem very streamlined to me at all. Sims 3 worlds are also known for routing problems and crashing.

I think Sims 3 had potential to have better worlds, but the execution turned out poor and some functions were taken away from Sims 2 in exchange for others. Just as Sims 4 sacrificed functions from Sims 3 for its own function.

And therein lies the real problem: Maxis removed features from previous games in order to offer new ones; rather than working on a system that only expanded on what we had. The series should never have had anything removed to begin with or people wouldn't need to be debating which features are better (or more functional) in what game.
    #Team Occult
    I see where you're coming from, but preference is still a very big factor and functionality remains debatable. If someone isn't a builder and doesn't care at all about that aspect of the game, then moving lots and changing the world environment isn't going to mean anything to them. So it does actually come down to what the player wants from the world and from the game.

You see, this is the only thing I can give The Sims 4's worlds - convinience. You load up the game and it has everything you would ever need on a basic functional level from the get go. No need to add things. No need to build things if you won't want. And I can see why this would appeal to some people.

That said, I find a lot of the Maxis builds in The Sims 4 weirdly sad, big and empty though... In terms of decor that is, as you said, Sims do flock them as intended. Maxis lots have never been great, but you won't find a Maxis lot quite was depressing as Planet Honey Pop, the default Karaoke bar from City Living (the absolute worst offender imo) in The Sims 2.

They're still the least flexible neighborhoods and lots to this date. Even a non-builder player who only plays family play one day might go "I'm running out of lots where my extremely extended family of 7 generations can live." In previous games you go "OK, let's add a new lot to the world map then.". In The Sims 4 you go "Looks like I to get rid of a community lot to house them!"

The other thing I like from a function perspective about The Sims 4 though is its incredibly easy to change lot type in build mode. In The Sims 3 you had to go into edit world, and in The Sims 2 you had to exit out of your family onto the world map. I know this annoyed me when I was trying to build a lot I affectionately call "Ugly Dive Bar" in The Sims 3. The Sims 4 just has a better and more accessible build mode with way more options for customisation in general though, but.... What's the point in such a good and in depth build mode when your neighborhoods are going to be so crap and uncustomisable? 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

I do see what you mean about community lots in The Sims 3 being empty though. I find it's very hit or miss, and neighborhoods in their fresh states with all of the maxis premades still in tact tend to have more active community lots without mods, though this may be an utter coincidence. Some times I'll go to a community lot to see no one. Others I'll see an entire group. And for certain lots like libraries that's OK I guess. But I've never been to a pub irl that's just been a complete ghost town, but then again... I don't go to a lot of pubs. :tongue:
    XVlamuQ.png

You see, this is the only thing I can give The Sims 4's worlds - convinience. You load up the game and it has everything you would ever need on a basic functional level from the get go. No need to add things. No need to build things if you won't want. And I can see why this would appeal to some people.

Exactly. That, plus the worlds just being more beautiful.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Most of my crazy builds are beyond dollhouses.
    Just check them out in the gallery as SEREFRAS.

Too bad maxis' default builds aren't.
    XVlamuQ.png

Too bad maxis' default builds aren't.

Maxis' builds are weirdly... diverse.
    A third is decent or better.
    A third is weird but usabe.
    A third is just broken and lack stuff or extremely badly placed stuff. Or all of the above.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I feel like the Sims 4 is marketing towards being a Christian dollhouse game but yeah far from being a sandbox game. It is like nothing bad happens at all and everything feels fake. But makes sense since they were trying to make it into a movie game rather than a simulation game. Probably why the interactions feel so choppy and why the Sims feel like they are resetting all the time with errors that MCCC catches every time a Sim resets. My notification window fills fast with all the errors that are caught which is sad because I do have a decent custom build desktop. Poor Gumby Sims trapped in errors.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    Scobre wrote: »
    I feel like the Sims 4 is marketing towards being a Christian dollhouse game but yeah far from being a sandbox game. It is like nothing bad happens at all and everything feels fake. But makes sense since they were trying to make it into a movie game rather than a simulation game. Probably why the interactions feel so choppy and why the Sims feel like they are resetting all the time with errors that MCCC catches every time a Sim resets. My notification window fills fast with all the errors that are caught which is sad because I do have a decent custom build desktop. Poor Gumby Sims trapped in errors.

Not only that but an American Christian Dollhouse Simulator. In Seasons, its still beyond me why Harvestfest is a default holiday - this game is a worldwide phenomenon and only the US celebrated thanksgiving. As a European, the default of everything in game being so American centric is so weird given. They relatively make up such a small portion of the world.
    XVlamuQ.png

Not only that but an American Christian Dollhouse Simulator. In Seasons, its still beyond me why Harvestfest is a default holiday - this game is a worldwide phenomenon and only the US celebrated thanksgiving. As a European, the default of everything in game being so American centric is so weird given. They relatively make up such a small portion of the world.
    It does. It is like especially during quarantine I want some sort of escapism to be able to travel to other parts of the world with the Sims. Like just because I live here doesn't mean I want my game to represent only the rich parts of the country too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member

I'm going to explain this.Thr reason was probably because of this was made in America .And most players are probably American.Note I'm not saying I'm against different culture in the game.I would love to see more tradable foreign worlds.Or towns inspire by other countries.I think even the first sims was to mimic American tv culture.Im had we can add, remove , and create our own holidays in Seasons.

If this game was made in the uk.The game would have a more UK feel.
    edited April 2020

I'm going to explain this.Thr reason was probably because of this was made in America .And most players are probably American.Note I'm not saying I'm against different culture in the game.I would love to see more tradable foreign worlds.Or towns inspire by other countries.I think even the first sims was to mimic American tv culture.Im had we can add, remove , and create our own holidays in Seasons.

Then why make Simlish specifically for the purpose of universalising everything and making it accessible to people regardless of what language they speak without the need for audio translations, only to then have all gameplay American-centric? You've kind of lost me there.
    XVlamuQ.png
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    edited April 2020

Then why make Simlish specifically for the purpose of universalising everything and making it accessible to people regardless of what language they speak without the need for audio translations, only to then have all gameplay American-centric? You've kind of lost me there.

The reason for simlish because it easier.Than translating from English to all the languages..Im confuse so are you saying? Since they sell it to different countries.Which most games do. It's weird for them to make it mostly American?They sell it to other countries because they get sales.

The reason for simlish because it easier.Than translating from English to all the languages..Im confuse so are you saying? Since they sell it to different countries.Which most games do. It's weird for them to make it mostly American?They sell it to other countries because they get sales.
    I think it is. Not all the Gurus were born in America. It is strange because they are trying to be inclusive as shared on on all their Twitter feeds so making it American only conflicts with their marketing of the game.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited November 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by bella_goth on

The Sims are not American. They don't speak English. They speak Simlish. You agree to that, right? Then why try to avoid the language for "accessibility" then make it so American oriented anyway, is what I'm saying.

It seems it was never about accessibility and making a neutral culture and tone, and was just about the ease part and making sure the dialogue doesn't drive English speakers insane by making it complete nonsense to everyone. I wouldn't mind if they were just honest about it - but they keep bringing up this "Simlish was created because it's universal and it's a mixture of tons of languages because we find culture sooo interesting" stuff.
    XVlamuQ.png