Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Moving sims between saves

I took a good look at my saves list a while ago, and found I have too many saves! I am trying to "consolidate" and have started to move families/houses between saves. Then I bumped into a bit of a, don't know if dilemma is the right word...? I have several households across saves with the same premade sims, like Paolo Rocca, Caleb Vatore, Johnny Zest and many others.

Can I move those played premades with their families into a save where those (unplayed) premades already excist?

Are they safe? Will the time/space continuum implode, and both sims vanish off the face of the earth? If anyone have any advice or experience, I'd be very grateful!

Comments

• GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,323 Member
    edited April 2020
    You can have multiple copies of the same sims in one game. I've done it a lot for sim stories I write so I can have a "current" version, a "backstory" version and a "dreams/imagination/random weird stuff" version of my main characters. The time/space continuum has yet to implode on me. :smile:

Just save the premade sims you played to your library, then put them in your new game and delete the unplayed versions of them. You might want to give the played household a different name temporarily just so you don't accidentally delete the wrong one, but it's not necessary. The game doesn't care. It regards the two households as different households no matter what you call them. They aren't linked.

When you do this "consolidation" the copies you place in the new game will have to start over with building relationships outside their household, but they actually do keep their skills and their career progress.

Edit - I just double-checked this with the premade Bheeda family from City Living to make sure it also works with premades and it does. I successfully have two Bheeda families in one game, one living in San Myshuno (the originals) and one in Willow Creek (the copies).
    Post edited by GlacierSnow on
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    That's awesome, thank you so much! :) It greatly helps with getting most of my families under one "roof", so to speak :D
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    edited April 2020
    I've done consolidated saves before BUT! If you are moving an extended family it will break the family relationships like kids living in their own households and not on the parents' lot. This can be fixed with MCCC but not through CAS.
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,323 Member
    @kathykins You're welcome. I hope it goes well for you. What @Catzilla says here is true. I forgot about that because I play with aging turned off and don't tend to create extended families in my games. The friendship/romantic relationships can be rebuilt after consolidation, but if the family extended family relationships matter to you, you will need to use MCCC.

However, I have seen that if you take an existing sim into CAS and then load another sim directly from your library and merge them with your existing household while in CAS, you can set the "spouse/sibling/child" relationship at that point (if the first sim doesn't already have a spouse). Unfortunately it does not have other extended family options though.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    Thanks @Catzilla and @GlacierSnow I don't think extended families would be any problem, I've only ever gotten to gen 2, and they are still no older than teen so far :D Hoping to get a bit further, now that those families are not spread out on so many saves. Some of my teens are ready for birthdays, and to leave the nest. I play with aging off too. If any problems arise, I'll have MCCC to iron it out :)