Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This is why I cannot play this game anymore.....

Comments

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    @Beardedgeek, Sims 4 is just a pretty backdrop with very little significant/meaningful gameplay. Other iterations had more meaningful gameplay. As I have observed the sims in Sims 4 are just a bunch of tech addicts. They don't even really react properly to their surroundings.

And
    1. We have had this discussion
    2. This STILL don't answer my question why it is "bad" that the people you can only see far far away aren't fully rendered.
    Because they are still Sims and if you still don't get that, that proves the Sims 4 isn't and never has been a real Sims game if none of the Sims matter. You may be ok with a not fully rendered game and the game no longer being a simulation game, but many of us are not. So yes Sims not only don't look like Sims they don't act like Sims anymore either. They are just a partially render backdrop of a badly designed movie set you could see low budget movies make like Sharknado.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,924 Member
    edited April 2020
    Scobre wrote: »
    You may be ok with a not fully rendered game and the game no longer being a simulation game

I know you weren't replying to me, but I think Beardedgeek was not talking about the part I quoted . To me it seemed they were curious why it is so important that things you do not even see at regular gameplay aren't fully rendered, I don't see the part they said about they think about game being a simulation game or not. I might be wrong tho, not the first or the last time :)

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Anyone notice how well pet traits are done? I believe it's because they don't have the emotions thing jerking them back and forth. I love mixing all kind of pet traits because they really make for some interesting combinations. My stubborn lazy troublemaker dog never listens to me, he doesn't want to run and he sleeps all day if not making trouble🤣🤣🤣 if they ever eliminate or maybe tone down on the emotions I think sims would shine a lot more. Though that will probably never happen.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Anyone notice how well pet traits are done? I believe it's because they don't have the emotions thing jerking them back and forth. I love mixing all kind of pet traits because they really make for some interesting combinations. My stubborn lazy troublemaker dog never listens to me, he doesn't want to run and he sleeps all day if not making trouble🤣🤣🤣 if they ever eliminate or maybe tone down on the emotions I think sims would shine a lot more. Though that will probably never happen.

I agree. I think if the traits did not cause an emotion at all it would make them more interesting. Lazy sims should just be lazy, slobs messy, snobs stuck up etc...all the HAPPY and TENSE moods are pointless. The traits should drive behavior not emotions. Maybe the behavior could drive the emotion. Like my lazy sims will be happiest when they are sitting in front of a TV. If I force them to work out maybe they start out bored and the longer they work out they get angry. Gluttons will be happy when they are full, when their hunger enters yellow they get hangry, and when red they open the fridge and start stuffing their face. I don't know I have been trying to think of an easy fix for this terrible system and hope they would change it...lol
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited April 2020
    @Beardedgeek, Sims 4 is just a pretty backdrop with very little significant/meaningful gameplay. Other iterations had more meaningful gameplay. As I have observed the sims in Sims 4 are just a bunch of tech addicts. They don't even really react properly to their surroundings.

And
    2. This STILL don't answer my question why it is "bad" that the people you can only see far far away aren't fully rendered.
    Because they are still Sims and if you still don't get that, that proves the Sims 4 isn't and never has been a real Sims game if none of the Sims matter. You may be ok with a not fully rendered game and the game no longer being a simulation game, but many of us are not. So yes Sims not only don't look like Sims they don't act like Sims anymore either. They are just a partially render backdrop of a badly designed movie set you could see low budget movies make like Sharknado.

None of that makes sense. You actually want the game to completely waste resources by fully rendering and AI control people you see hundred of yards away and you can't get to or talk to???? (yes that many ?)
    And it proves absolutely nothing other than that they are better coders than you, because you would have completely slowed the game down to a crawl or forced players to buy brand new computers to be able to play it.

And "backdrop" is not a bad thing or an insult, btw (And again, trying to use "partly rendered" as a bad thing). It is what ALL movies and games do. ALL. Do you think all the special effects in Hollywood movies are rendered to the same quality? Do you think the practical effect Orc costume of Extra #235 in a movie that will be filmed from the waist up behind a counter 100 feet away will even WEAR the orc costume below the waist?
    You may be ok with a not fully rendered game and the game no longer being a simulation game

I know you weren't replying to me, but I think Beardedgeek was not talking about the part I quoted . To me it seemed they were curious why it is so important that things you do not even see at regular gameplay aren't fully rendered, I don't see the part they said about they think about game being a simulation game or not. I might be wrong tho, not the first or the last time :)

Exactly this. See above.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited April 2020

@Scobre, like many other TS veterans, has played the previous The Sims games, and those were more complete simulation games. TS4 is the first to be so lacking in many things including full rendering for interaction. It's very disappointing really.

In TS3 for example, all the sims in the world whether townies or NPCs can be interacted with which adds to the gameplay. Each townie has a full profile: traits, careers, skills, wishes, relationships. Even NPCs will get a full profile if you add them to a household. TS2 and TS1 has townies and NPCs too that you can fully interact with as well.

In TS4, it's just surprising and very disappointing that you can't interact with everyone and everything in the world like you could with the previous The Sims games. Which makes it worse because there's not as much to do in that game in the first place.

• Options
    edited April 2020

And

None of that makes sense. You actually want the game to completely waste resources by fully rendering and AI control people you see hundred of yards away and you can't get to or talk to???? (yes that many ?)
    And it proves absolutely nothing other than that they are better coders than you, because you would have completely slowed the game down to a crawl or forced players to buy brand new computers to be able to play it.

And "backdrop" is not a bad thing or an insult, btw (And again, trying to use "partly rendered" as a bad thing). It is what ALL movies and games do. ALL. Do you think all the special effects in Hollywood movies are rendered to the same quality? Do you think the practical effect Orc costume of Extra #235 in a movie that will be filmed from the waist up behind a counter 100 feet away will even WEAR the orc costume below the waist?

Exactly this. See above.
    I do and people had to buy new computers anyways when the game switched to 64 bit. The good movies are. B Rated movies aren't. Plus the coders for the game are different from the FX coders. So no I don't want the Sims to be partially rendered just so 10+ year old computers can run it. I rather have poorly rendered stuff not included at all then be done poorly. Gurus don't mind feedback. I got told Afro hairs would slow down computers too, then showed CC afro hairs that were down well clayfied and bam now they are in the game. I actually have taken coding in university before when going for an accounting information system minor. Yes I do know Gurus are better at coding than me especially SimGuruSteve so if you are trying to insult me with that, it isn't going to work. But hey if you want to go into coding and do it well yourself, go for it, go to school for gaming if that is something you are passionate about. Honestly I was perfectly fine with having a blue background and real neighborhood critters in TS2 over the poorly done FX in the game that is just poorly down backdrop. It is like if a streamer used a poorly done backdrop full of trash and a dirty bedroom, it is distracting and grosses people out. So if you are fine with poop graphics as a background and at the same breath say how Sims 4 has the best graphics in the world, I just can't take it seriously sorry. I rather have interactive background than a poorly done background your Sims can't even interact with. So yes I do want the background a part of gameplay.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options

@Scobre, like many other TS veterans, has played the previous The Sims games, and those were more complete simulation games. TS4 is the first to be so lacking in many things including full rendering for interaction. It's very disappointing really.

In TS3 for example, all the sims in the world whether townies or NPCs can be interacted with which adds to the gameplay. Each townie has a full profile: traits, careers, skills, wishes, relationships. Even NPCs will get a full profile if you add them to a household. TS2 and TS1 has townies and NPCs too that you can fully interact with as well.

In TS4, it's just surprising and very disappointing that you can't interact with everyone and everything in the world like you could with the previous The Sims games. Which makes it worse because there's not as much to do in that game in the first place.
    Yeah exactly. I'm a SimCity and Sims veteran, so I do know the skills of Maxis over the years of what they are capable of doing for their games. I really appreciate that immersion with the Sims 3 too. Sims 4 kind of took a cop out with the social worker even not including game play at all or a Sim for that NPC. Sims 4 is well very social distance friendly and very morally safe game.
  • Options

And

Exactly this. See above.
    I do and people had to buy new computers anyways when the game switched to 64 bit. The good movies are. B Rated movies aren't. Plus the coders for the game are different from the FX coders. So no I don't want the Sims to be partially rendered just so 10+ year old computers can run it. I rather have poorly rendered stuff not included at all then be done poorly. Gurus don't mind feedback. I got told Afro hairs would slow down computers too, then showed CC afro hairs that were down well clayfied and bam now they are in the game. I actually have taken coding in university before when going for an accounting information system minor. Yes I do know Gurus are better at coding than me especially SimGuruSteve so if you are trying to insult me with that, it isn't going to work. But hey if you want to go into coding and do it well yourself, go for it, go to school for gaming if that is something you are passionate about. Honestly I was perfectly fine with having a blue background and real neighborhood critters in TS2 over the poorly done FX in the game that is just poorly down backdrop. It is like if a streamer used a poorly done backdrop full of trash and a dirty bedroom, it is distracting and grosses people out. So if you are fine with poop graphics as a background and at the same breath say how Sims 4 has the best graphics in the world, I just can't take it seriously sorry. I rather have interactive background than a poorly done background your Sims can't even interact with. So yes I do want the background a part of gameplay.

Again, I simply can't make sense of this. You are talking about the "Sims" you see when looking down from Uptown to lower levels, for example. Those are not Sims, do not need to be Sims and should not be Sims.
    To call the game "partly rendered" because of these "Sims" not being full Sims is factually false and I would (yes) consider it an outright lie to make the game look bad.

As for "poop graphics" btw... what poop graphics?
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Again, I simply can't make sense of this. You are talking about the "Sims" you see when looking down from Uptown to lower levels, for example. Those are not Sims, do not need to be Sims and should not be Sims.
    To call the game "partly rendered" because of these "Sims" not being full Sims is factually false and I would (yes) consider it an outright lie to make the game look bad.

They are Sims and I wouldn't call factually false and wow lie, nope it is in all games. It is an opinion just like yours is an opinion. Silly to call something a lie just because you don't agree with it. The FX graphics which are poorly done. If someone made a movie with bad graphics, people probably wouldn't see it especially younger kids who are all about the newest graphics. But yes I can't agree with you that all the graphics in the Sims 4 are good, but subjectively they aren't. You can think they are and that's ok. Not going to call you liar over it. I don't know why you have to constantly need to insult me for saying something bad about the Sims 4. It is just a B rated movie quality game. So yes graphically and game play wise I find the Sims 4 sub-par at best. Even building can be frustrating. But one thing we can agree on is both liking the Sims 2. :) Sims 2 in a lot of ways had better graphics than the Sims 3 with a lot of detail with the objects especially if you look at the stoves and bookshelves. I'm detailed oriented and it is easier for you to brush off the details. That is great, but we are not alike in that way and it is ok. But like art I view the whole picture and how it interacts with other parts of that picture. I just don't see the Sims 4 art and the FX art meshing well so yes it does look like poop in comparison. It is like someone saying how alpha CC doesn't mesh well with the Sims 4 art. Two different teams work on it and it shows and sadly not in a good way. Also impossible to lie about any form of art and silly to suggest so. It is a subjective form of creation.
  • Options
    MagnezoneMagnezone Posts: 212 Member

They are Sims and I wouldn't call factually false and wow lie, nope it is in all games. It is an opinion just like yours is an opinion. Silly to call something a lie just because you don't agree with it. The FX graphics which are poorly done. If someone made a movie with bad graphics, people probably wouldn't see it especially younger kids who are all about the newest graphics. But yes I can't agree with you that all the graphics in the Sims 4 are good, but subjectively they aren't. You can think they are and that's ok. Not going to call you liar over it. I don't know why you have to constantly need to insult me for saying something bad about the Sims 4. It is just a B rated movie quality game. So yes graphically and game play wise I find the Sims 4 sub-par at best. Even building can be frustrating. But one thing we can agree on is both liking the Sims 2. :) Sims 2 in a lot of ways had better graphics than the Sims 3 with a lot of detail with the objects especially if you look at the stoves and bookshelves. I'm detailed oriented and it is easier for you to brush off the details. That is great, but we are not alike in that way and it is ok. But like art I view the whole picture and how it interacts with other parts of that picture. I just don't see the Sims 4 art and the FX art meshing well so yes it does look like poop in comparison. It is like someone saying how alpha CC doesn't mesh well with the Sims 4 art. Two different teams work on it and it shows and sadly not in a good way. Also impossible to lie about any form of art and silly to suggest so. It is a subjective form of creation.

In TS3 there was options to turn down or off details that weren't relevant to the game itself. With that said...

What Beardedgeek means is those background assets are not sims. As in, theyre not what the game considers to be a sim - a controllable playable character you can interact with. They are just an asset that resembles a sim that has no function out of being an ambient aesthetic object.

With all that said, you don't have to make them actual sims for the renders to be better, but he is right in saying having too many high poly objects to render does just slow down the game, and so the humans are low poly with bad textures because they're unimportant background assets in terms of gameplay itself. How optimal things like this are does depend on how you program them into the game though.

My ex used to work as a QA tester at Sony. The game Uncharted 4 originally programmed in individual particles for every raindrop, and it literally slowed the game down to about 5 fps because the game was loading so many tiny assets.

Now let's talk about The Sims. The Sims, being a sandbox game, you can place as many assets as you wish, essentially, so that's why EA have to be very cautious about the purely ambient aesthetic renders they put in the game themselves. Anything that's a waste of resources kind of just has to go.

That said, given you can get very close to the birds as they're on the ground... Not sure that was a great choice to then make them so low poly.
    My blog full of things that never get finished!
    XVlamuQ.png
    Magnezone, the lover of Calientes, Lotharios, Landgraabs and Curiouses everywhere.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Magnezone wrote: »

In TS3 there was options to turn down or off details that weren't relevant to the game itself. With that said...

What Beardedgeek means is those background assets are not sims. As in, theyre not what the game considers to be a sim - a controllable playable character you can interact with. They are just an asset that resembles a sim that has no function out of being an ambient aesthetic object.

With all that said, you don't have to make them actual sims for the renders to be better, but he is right in saying having too many high poly objects to render does just slow down the game, and so the humans are low poly with bad textures because they're unimportant background assets in terms of gameplay itself. How optimal things like this are does depend on how you program them into the game though.

My ex used to work as a QA tester at Sony. The game Uncharted 4 originally programmed in individual particles for every raindrop, and it literally slowed the game down to about 5 fps because the game was loading so many tiny assets.

Now let's talk about The Sims. The Sims, being a sandbox game, you can place as many assets as you wish, essentially, so that's why EA have to be very cautious about the purely ambient aesthetic renders they put in the game themselves. Anything that's a waste of resources kind of just has to go.

That said, given you can get very close to the birds as they're on the ground... Not sure that was a great choice to then make them so low poly.
    But if it is like a true movie shouldn't we have the option to choose what renders in the background rather than have the game render it for us? It would help performance because those with bad computers could just leave It blank. It just feels like it takes god controls away. I rather have it be like the blue screen object the Sims use and use my own background. I guess why I find the Sims 4 worlds so poorly designed is that freedom you had in the Sims 2 and 3 making your own world was completely taken away from builders. Not going to deny community is partially responsible for this complaining about the Sims 3 building being too hard. It just seems like it was a missed opportunity especially with how nice the gallery is. I just get tired how Sims 4 has to be simplified all for the sake of computers that don't even meet minimum specs with the packs. Probably would help if Origin kept people updated on spec requirements like steam does for their games. I just think if people are complaining about lag issues now then it is going to get much worst extending the Sims 4 lifetime, because like you said the more assets you add to the game the slower older computers and non-gaming laptops are going to struggle. Background or not I fear Simmers like @BeardedGeek are going to tax their computers so much to break. I did that to a laptop with the Sims 3 and ended up costing me more than buying a desktop computer for my university and gaming time.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

And

Exactly this. See above.

I don’t see the issue with rendering Sims in this game? There’s a cap of 20 Sims in a little zone, there shouldn’t be any issues rendering them and when it comes to AI the roaming Sims are more or less filling a predetermined role just a randomly selected/generated Sim. That’s something I’ve only seen in really graphically intensive games where the distant objects run at a lower frame rate. RE2&3 remake do this and even then it’s noticeably bad at times and not something the player should notice.
  • Options

And

Exactly this. See above.

I don’t see the issue with rendering Sims in this game? There’s a cap of 20 Sims in a little zone, there shouldn’t be any issues rendering them and when it comes to AI the roaming Sims are more or less filling a predetermined role just a randomly selected/generated Sim. That’s something I’ve only seen in really graphically intensive games where the distant objects run at a lower frame rate. RE2&3 remake do this and even then it’s noticeably bad at times and not something the player should notice.

The point is we are not talking about Sims. We are talking about the small sim-like objects that move far off in the distance in say San Myshuno that you cannot ever interact with. To fully render them as Sims would not only be wasteful, it would be downright wrong from a game designer perspective.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

And

Exactly this. See above.

For me it is how Sims 4 is programmed and how it is laid out that they use backdrops and I call backdrops fillers being we can't create out own lots and everything outside the lots are static, people that played previous versions can see an lot of differences between the versions. Another reason the use of backdrops are being used as EA/Maxis developed the game to ensure systems uses the same bells and whistles unlike in Sims 2 and 3 meaning if I am using an high end system I would be able to use features that an low end system cannot use so fully rendering may be possible for an high end system and not so much with an low end system. For you it may not be an bad thing but for folks who is used to seeing games evolve or move forward with old and new features used and then see an newer version stripped of features that was once used in previous versions see it as an bad sign or move.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    For me it is how Sims 4 is programmed and how it is laid out that they use backdrops and I call backdrops fillers being we can't create out own lots and everything outside the lots are static, people that played previous versions can see an lot of differences between the versions. Another reason the use of backdrops are being used as EA/Maxis developed the game to ensure systems uses the same bells and whistles unlike in Sims 2 and 3 meaning if I am using an high end system I would be able to use features that an low end system cannot use so fully rendering may be possible for an high end system and not so much with an low end system. For you it may not be an bad thing but for folks who is used to seeing games evolve or move forward with old and new features used and then see an newer version stripped of features that was once used in previous versions see it as an bad sign or move.

I can't believe I'm actually actively defending The Sims 4 this much in this thread given I have a plethora of my own issues with this installment, but let's be realistic here for a second; whilst the worlds are static in the way of, you can't do anything to change them, you can interact with way more of the world than in previous games. Everything you placed outside of a lot in The Sims 2 and 3 was purely aesthetic. This means there is more going on in The Sims 4's neighborhoods than The Sims 3's despite the huge size difference, and The Sims 2, you can only interact with the lot you're currently on - all the others are blurry renders in the background.

That's one thing I do genuinely like about TS4 - there are environmental objects not locked to a lot that are interactive and it makes the world's feel more alive - but this also means more objects to potentially load and render.

To say that everything is just static and in the background is simply not fair to The Sims 4, when that was definitely more so the case in the previous games. The only difference is you had the option to customise and change those decorative objects yourself, which gives worlds in older games a lot more personal flair.

I will say though, none of this kind of thing affects my regular gameplay. I'm not going to interact with the secret lot tree in Willow Creek every save file, nor am I going to look for frogs, collect posters or grill on the assorted neighborhood grills. It's extraneous to me, and I'd rather just have bigger worlds with more lots to build on than all the little cute details scattered amongst the world. But I am beginning to see why people like the neighborhoods in The Sims 4 more.
    XVlamuQ.png
    Magnezone, the lover of Calientes, Lotharios, Landgraabs and Curiouses everywhere.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

I can't believe I'm actually actively defending The Sims 4 this much in this thread given I have a plethora of my own issues with this installment, but let's be realistic here for a second; whilst the worlds are static in the way of, you can't do anything to change them, you can interact with way more of the world than in previous games. Everything you placed outside of a lot in The Sims 2 and 3 was purely aesthetic. This means there is more going on in The Sims 4's neighborhoods than The Sims 3's despite the huge size difference, and The Sims 2, you can only interact with the lot you're currently on - all the others are blurry renders in the background.

That's one thing I do genuinely like about TS4 - there are environmental objects not locked to a lot that are interactive and it makes the world's feel more alive - but this also means more objects to potentially load and render.

To say that everything is just static and in the background is simply not fair to The Sims 4, when that was definitely more so the case in the previous games. The only difference is you had the option to customise and change those decorative objects yourself, which gives worlds in older games a lot more personal flair.

I will say though, none of this kind of thing affects my regular gameplay. I'm not going to interact with the secret lot tree in Willow Creek every save file, nor am I going to look for frogs, collect posters or grill on the assorted neighborhood grills. It's extraneous to me, and I'd rather just have bigger worlds with more lots to build on than all the little cute details scattered amongst the world. But I am beginning to see why people like the neighborhoods in The Sims 4 more.

I could make my own lots in Sims 3 and you can't in Sims 4 if I could do the same in Sims 4 then I would agree. You can't change the lot size therefore you have to be choosey in what you going to lay down. However as I posted it is how Sims 4 is programmed to run and look so Willow Creek is always going to look the same no matter what is laid down and customization of each neighborhood is what some want and also it goes beyond customization as I have to wait for EA/Maxis to give an neighborhood through an pack as it was an very long while since we got an free one. Sims 4 may have some things for you to like but for me the few things are far and in between and it is an matter of taste and what each player want out of the game. For me there is no customization at an level for me to really like Sims 4. I do dislike neighborhoods but I just can't get with the restrictions neighborhoods in it's current state. I do like the connection between neighborhoods but it is still restrictive.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    edited April 2020

And

Exactly this. See above.

The point is we are not talking about Sims. We are talking about the small sim-like objects that move far off in the distance in say San Myshuno that you cannot ever interact with. To fully render them as Sims would not only be wasteful, it would be downright wrong from a game designer perspective.
    If Sims 4 is like a movie then calling extras not human just because they are not the main star in the show is wrong. These appear in more than just the San Myshuno world as provided by the images which include Cats and Dogs which brings Sims much closer to them. These images prove that like birds and I am taking pictures with these blobs in the background it doesn't mesh well artistically. I rather have them omitted than destroy my background views especially when taking pictures.

I don't know why you are so eager to fight with this. I am trying to help you with performance in future packs that will use these blobs renders. Wouldn't you rather have your gameplay run smoother with option to omit or make our own backgrounds instead? Or are you ok with poor renders slowing down your computer?
  • Options

I could make my own lots in Sims 3 and you can't in Sims 4 if I could do the same in Sims 4 then I would agree. You can't change the lot size therefore you have to be choosey in what you going to lay down. However as I posted it is how Sims 4 is programmed to run and look so Willow Creek is always going to look the same no matter what is laid down and customization of each neighborhood is what some want and also it goes beyond customization as I have to wait for EA/Maxis to give an neighborhood through an pack as it was an very long while since we got an free one. Sims 4 may have some things for you to like but for me the few things are far and in between and it is an matter of taste and what each player want out of the game. For me there is no customization at an level for me to really like Sims 4. I do dislike neighborhoods but I just can't get with the restrictions neighborhoods in it's current state. I do like the connection between neighborhoods but it is still restrictive.
    This is not what I was getting at and you either didn't read my post or glanced over it. tl;dr I said nothing OUTSIDE of lots is interactive in the older games, making the small neighborhood areas feel more like real places in The Sims 4.

I do prefer the worlds in The Sims 3 and 2 as I can add personal flair to them, and literally explicitly said I'd prefer just having more lots over cutesy stuff scattered throughout the worlds too.
    XVlamuQ.png
  • Options
    Honestly being a playtester I just want the poorly rendered Sims, dogs, and birds removed. I rather have real NPCs and neighborhood critters come by like in the Sims 2. The game already be bad memory leaks as it is. I like having real dolphins come to my Sims like in Sulani. I just wish Sims could interacted with the underwater wildlife there. I get tired of FX effects being a cheap cop out and taking bulk of resources in packs that real gameplay could have used.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

This is not what I was getting at and you either didn't read my post or glanced over it. tl;dr I said nothing OUTSIDE of lots is interactive in the older games, making the small neighborhood areas feel more like real places in The Sims 4.

I do prefer the worlds in The Sims 3 and 2 as I can add personal flair to them, and literally explicitly said I'd prefer just having more lots over cutesy stuff scattered throughout the worlds too.

My bad, sorry I misread your post but Sims 4 neighborhoods are still static and again that is how Sims 4 is programmed, some can get with it and some can't and I just want than an static neighborhood but also the level of my dislike for Sims 4 is the minimal amount of features that Sims 4 contain. Sims 3 is an older game and in some aspect I know what Sims 3 has and I know what Sims 4 has. Sims 3 productive life has ended and Sims 4 life is current and alive and I expect some improvement from an newer version but for me I care how much can I expand that neighborhood before I have to go to another neighborhood and sometimes I feel forced to change my story and tailor it to the restrictions that is placed on me by Sims 4. I would not feel too bad about it if Sims 2 or 3 was never heard from but they was produced and I can use them to compare them to what I could accomplish with and what I can't do in Sims 4. As far environmental objects goes my interest is not so much into that and that is my opinion and again some improvements are expected but for me even with that it is not enough. I prefer customization of neighborhoods and not just more static lots as I want to place them where I want.
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    While it's fresh in my memory, here's a prime example of why The Sims 4 is a real mess of a game. To set the scene I was playing as Cassandra Goth and had her about to marry Don Lothario when I had Don bail out on the wedding. (A trip down nostalgia Lane.) Cassandra was as expected very angry at this. She stomps around for a few minutes then randomly starts making spaghetti. OK so I also turn to food in times of emotional distress so I get it girl, but I kinda wanted some drama. So I get Don to make out with another sim literally right in front of cassandra and she doesn't bat an eye lid. Her angry moodlet has been over ridden with a happy one (I guess because of the spaghetti? Which to be fair I can also relate to) but that's not realistic! I cancel all actions on Cassandra and get Don to make out with the other sim again and still nothing. Cassandra goes off to dance....Don is not fazed. He's living his best life. So I go to start an argument. I select mean interactions between Don and Cassandra but they just cancel out! Don and Cassandra just start random group conversations with other sims and all my commands are just cancelled out as soon as I select them. Then they sit there happily chatting to each other as if nothing has happened! What is going on with this game?! So an hour or so goes by (sims time) Don and Cassandra happily co existing, Cassandra is even dancing with Don's side chick like she has total amnesia then all of a sudden back comes the angry moodlet followed by some angry stomping around. So I think yay let's start an argument again. I select a mean interaction and poof! Action cancelled and moodlet is gone, replaced with happy again. I honestly give up! I wanted to love this game, (good lord I've spent enough money on it) but it's fundamental gameplay mechanics ruled by emotion buffs is just so beyond repair I just find myself quitting in frustration and loading either Sims 2 or 3 up for my sims fix. Please tell me Sims 5 is in the works and if it is, please tell me the devs have used sims 4 programming as an example of "what not to do!" Use the Sims 2 gameplay mechanics. That worked. Thanks.
    *note* I do not and never have, used mods or CC in my Sims 4 game.

Are you willing to use mods if so get Slice of Life by KawaiiStacie and Have Some Personality Please by PolarBearSims. Both mods together fix those annoying problems we have in the game in regards to sims actual personalities.

Slice of Life was the Second Mod after MCCC I ever installed. I don't know what I'd do without it.

Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Everything you placed outside of a lot in The Sims 2 and 3 was purely aesthetic. This means there is more going on in The Sims 4's neighborhoods than The Sims 3's despite the huge size difference, and The Sims 2, you can only interact with the lot you're currently on - all the others are blurry renders in the background.

I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to interact with the worlds outside the lots in TS3?

My sims have been able to camp and picnic all over the worlds outside of the lots. You can also find collectibles anywhere in the world outside of lots. Also when I'm doing a zombie apocalypse challenge, I can shoot down zombies anywhere in the world whether they are in lots or outside of them in the world. For photography, you can also take pictures of faraway places - you don't have to be on the same lot for the photography skill to recognize what you're taking pictures of for its challenges and collections. You can also fish in any of the bodies of water outside of the lots, snorkel anywhere in the oceans, etc.

I know in TS2 you can't do anything outside of the lots, but I know for a fact that you can in TS3.

• Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    But in TS2, while cofinded to the lot, we can do much more within those lots than we can in 4 all these years later.
  • Options
    MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    Problem is, even with "Simple" interactions between Sims usually ends up in a fail. For example, having a sim visit another sim ends up with one leaving the room to talk to a plant or get on the computer in another room. This, after only a few minutes of interaction. Oh, and if you have a door set on lock, the visiting sim can't enter the room and bother the sim for more conversation! Don't get me started on failed meetings, party events or awkward weddings (as mentioned) or award shows where no one "sits down" in the chairs provided for them. Btw, have yet to see a wedding cake for the wedding events.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top