Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This is why I cannot play this game anymore.....

Comments

• Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    Drbigt wrote: »
    The emotions are superficial at best in this game.

You can take angry poop, proud poop, inspired poop, flirty poop or energized poop. It makes no difference either way and kinda summarizes the whole emotion system in a nutshell. ~edited for brevity~

Don’t forget:

1. You can pee like a champion and
    2. Talk to the toilet.

That’s gotta stand for something. They did a great job ~roll eyes~

~rolls eyes~ dripping sarcasm

GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited April 2020
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Why I still play TS2!

*Hold up the hands*

I don't, but objectively it is the best game in the series, or at least the most detailed. Showing people that never played 2 or 3 the animations... The cooking one alone blows Sims 4 (AND 3) out of the water.

Just imagine it with modern graphics...

I agree with you entirely, and would love a remaster, but isn’t this what a sequel should ultimately bring in itself though? Otherwise, what is the point?

The Sims 3 didn’t capture all of The Sims 2’s magic, but it still shot for the stars and looked to bring some massive improvements to the series. It did have instability issues and I had other gripes with it, but at least it had some actual game design. The Sims 4 barely even tried.

Sims 3 sacrificed some things to accommodate a fully operational open world. It was a valid exchange and some things are clearly much better than in 2, and a lot of things are slightly worse.

Sims 4 is... a weird mix. It suffers A LOT from the sacrifices made to accommodate an online playstyle that never happened (thank God) but certain things are both better and worse at the same time. Loading screens everywhere BUT you can freely move between worlds, something not even 3 could (you had an open town, but you were stuck in it). Which is actually HUGE. I also personally absolutely love the deliberately cartoony art style.

...but then they skimped on virtually everything else. The huge selling point this time were "emotions", that does not make up for the loss of an open world at all, barely matters and has to be used with mods to even make sense (OH look I am all happy because I have a beautiful fridge, so who cares if my kid just died in front of me!). The animations are sometimes greatly detailed (the bike animations are MORE detailed than in 3, for example) while others (the cooking ones) are very very basic. The lack of a color wheel / Create a Style is painful since their swatches are so limited, often ugly, and never matches.

Come to think of it, regarding animations: Almost all base game animations are very bad, while the newer the pack, the better they are. If only they updated old animations...
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    I don't understand.Why didn't they pushed the release of four.At 2015 instead of 2014.An extra year could improve the ai, balance the emotions.Have toddlers, ghost, pools, and maybe more develops life stages .
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Why I still play TS2!

*Hold up the hands*

I don't, but objectively it is the best game in the series, or at least the most detailed. Showing people that never played 2 or 3 the animations... The cooking one alone blows Sims 4 (AND 3) out of the water.

I agree with you entirely, and would love a remaster, but isn’t this what a sequel should ultimately bring in itself though? Otherwise, what is the point?

The Sims 3 didn’t capture all of The Sims 2’s magic, but it still shot for the stars and looked to bring some massive improvements to the series. It did have instability issues and I had other gripes with it, but at least it had some actual game design. The Sims 4 barely even tried.

Sims 3 sacrificed some things to accommodate a fully operational open world. It was a valid exchange and some things are clearly much better than in 2, and a lot of things are slightly worse.

Sims 4 is... a weird mix. It suffers A LOT from the sacrifices made to accommodate an online playstyle that never happened (thank God) but certain things are both better and worse at the same time. Loading screens everywhere BUT you can freely move between worlds, something not even 3 could (you had an open town, but you were stuck in it). Which is actually HUGE. I also personally absolutely love the deliberately cartoony art style.

...but then they skimped on virtually everything else. The huge selling point this time were "emotions", that does not make up for the loss of an open world at all, barely matters and has to be used with mods to even make sense (OH look I am all happy because I have a beautiful fridge, so who cares if my kid just died in front of me!). The animations are sometimes greatly detailed (the bike animations are MORE detailed than in 3, for example) while others (the cooking ones) are very very basic. The lack of a color wheel / Create a Style is painful since their swatches are so limited, often ugly, and never matches.

Come to think of it, regarding animations: Almost all base game animations are very bad, while the newer the pack, the better they are. If only they updated old animations...

I agree. Honestly, if The Sims 4 possessed stronger core gameplay, more replayability, and evolving, smarter Sims, I'd be able to forget whatever is "missing" from the past games. TS4 didn't compensate enough for what was removed, and I found the problem to only be exacerbated by the packs.
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    edited April 2020
    I think I can see the problem from the developers side, do the customers really want real gritty reality? Do they want a Sim who falls apart when he/she is cheated upon and refuse to do its daily chores due to depression. Do we want stalking, drug use, domestic violence, life long animosity?! To what extent do we want realism in our games. Now the friendship levels drops to the bottom when a Sim is cheated upon, if that is not enough, where should the line be drawn?
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited April 2020
    Peral wrote: »
    I think I can see the problem from the developers side, do the customers really want real gritty reality? Do they want a Sim who falls apart when he/she is cheated upon and refuse to do its daily chores due to depression. Do we want stalking, drug use, domestic violence, life long animosity?! To what extent do we want realism in our games. Now the friendship levels drops to the bottom when a Sim is cheated upon, if that is not enough, where should the line be drawn?

The Sims 2 strikes that balance perfectly to me. Failure is very much in the realm of possibilities within the game, but when your Sim fails, it’s by no means a terrible thing for the player to watch. Your Sim becomes sad from lack of socialization? A random stuffed bunny NPC comes by to cheer em up. Your Sim falls to depression? A funny animation with a wacky, scientist-looking doctor comes by to help your Sim. Cheating scandal? Cartoon-like slapping with Sims cheering on. Each time there’s a negative ordeal, Maxis would incorporate some aspect of humor in there as a buffer.

I find it hard to see it from the developer’s side because it was Maxis themselves who have proven that failure and negative gameplay states in a life simulation can be balanced just fine with the right amount of fun and humor. And, really, that same logic applies to the series at large to me. They’ve proven they can make an amazing life sim game with The Sims 2, back in 2005. I see no reason to believe they aren’t capable of doing better than what they have been with The Sims 4.

I do think it seems they listened way too much on a particular segment of the players, since they virtually removed all difficulty from the game, and (which is very telling) had almost only "fun and cool" careers in the base game. "Secret agent" and "astronaut" instead of "politician" and "doctor" for example.

The difficulty thing is so obvious that they even had to tell us as a selling point for Discover University that "they had listened to the players and added some challenges to the game" (paraphrasing, but there you have it). 6 years in, we get something almost resembling a challenge.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

A lot of that stuff isn’t being asked for, but the attitude that the devs know what players want better than the players is not an idea I get behind at all. When that’s happening it’s not the devs deciding what players want, they’re deciding what THEY do or do not want. Big difference, the developers make this game for players and if they’re asking for something the first question the developers ask should never be “do they really want this stuff they’re asking for?” That’s just bad practice
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I hadn't played Sims 4 close to an year now even with new packs as I gave up seeing any major features in the game and I am more into the new games coming from other developers. For me Sims 4 has lost it Mojo an long time now.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • MagnezoneMagnezone Posts: 212 Member
    edited April 2020
    Why I still play TS2!

*Hold up the hands*

Join the dark side - I play mostly The Sims 2 too. When Sims do other sims wrong, they get upset and stay upset and it's legitimately hard to rebuild broken relationships, especially for the days following.

The Sims 4 has its place and there's some things I like about it, but in The Sims 2, the Sims feel like real people and not empty androids pretending to know what emotions feel like.
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »
    From what I've been reading here, Sims 2 actually seems like a pretty good game. I think they should just scrap all the plans they have for TS5 (multiplayer, really? Nobody asked for that), and just re-release TS2 with better graphics, maybe with open neighborhoods and proper time-continuity and I would buy it. In fact, the only things that keep me from buying TS2 is the hassle of making it run on windows 10 and the graphics that only look good with a heckload of cc.

The Sims 2 runs fine in Windows 10, and I entirely default replaced EVERYTHING that comes on Sims in my games except the clothes, since they mostly hold up except for a few looking like they're so skin tight they're literally sewn on (see my avatar for example, lol)

I also feel like the only person who doesn't mind the idea of multiplayer so long as it's optional and NOT like The Sims Online. Which was uhm.... Interesting...
    My blog full of things that never get finished!
    XVlamuQ.png
    Magnezone, the lover of Calientes, Lotharios, Landgraabs and Curiouses everywhere.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    So, so many extremely good points in this thread that I fully agree with.

I'll also add that we're over five and a half years into the game and the emotion system is still incomplete because there is no Fear. I fully believe that this alone contributes a whole lot to overly happy, shallow Sims. It's one less major "negative" emotion that we're playing with and it's a very prominent one as far as representation of human moods. Are they ever going to actually finish the base game?
    #Team Occult
    LiELF wrote: »
    There is no Fear
    Basically Tense = Fear, even though they're two very different moods. Everything a sim would be scared of makes them tense instead. Fire, Thunderstorms, etc.

The fire one is especially bizarre. Something like meeting new people for the first time or a job interview makes me tense. Setting my house on fire? Yeah, I'd be absolutely distraught, not tense!
    XVlamuQ.png
    Magnezone, the lover of Calientes, Lotharios, Landgraabs and Curiouses everywhere.
    Magnezone wrote: »
    There is no Fear
    Basically Tense = Fear, even though they're two very different moods. Everything a sim would be scared of makes them tense instead. Fire, Thunderstorms, etc.

The fire one is especially bizarre. Something like meeting new people for the first time or a job interview makes me tense. Setting my house on fire? Yeah, I'd be absolutely distraught, not tense!

This is very true. But I do not understand the reason behind it. It definitely seems like "Tense" should be split in two or maybe even three, it handles actually three emotional states:
    1. Stress
    2. Nervousness
    3. Fear

So really it should not be split into TWO emotions (Tense and Fear) but three (Tense, Nervousness, Fear). But I didn't notice until I read your post!
  • NatwelNatwel Posts: 4 New Member
    Something about TS4 doesn’t feel right

When you press pause the animation doesn’t stop in its tracks. A few frames are played after you press pause button.
    You can’t play the whole neighbourhood. The community lot requires a separate location with loading screen.
    The jealous trait is silly
    Characters act goofy, even for sims.
    Furniture and clothes aren’t as customisable.
    It’s not as easy for sims to lose weight

What I like

More choice of food
    More mulittaksing
    Extra ui like paying bills on phone and social networking on phone
    Coding career.
    The teas

Late technology could be a good thing or a bad thing, maybe the game will run better in years when the machines run better but it’s devoid of fulfilment u like old games. Like the console really, it runs too slow and you’ve got to wait for sims to finish their activities otherwise I’ll jam the processor,
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Why I still play TS2!

*Hold up the hands*

My simsian dream! I first got 4 because I thought it would be a blend of the best parts of 2 & 3 with the advances in game software technology thrown in. What a surprise, and not a good one!
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    Magnezone wrote: »
    There is no Fear

I know, I can't stand that they made Tense a stand-in for Fear. It's not the same thing. Tense would make more sense as a sub-moodlet of Fear, not the emotion itself.

I want my Sims to fear my Occults, not display snubby disapproval in the form of a relationship hit, lol.

I'd also really, really like to have a selection of phobias.

I just want Fear to exist!
    #Team Occult
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    It doesn't help that there's no negative emotion amplifier... Happy boosts all positive emotions, flirty, focused, ETC but there's no negative counterpart, so any negative emotion is never going to be able to beat positive emotions.
    raw
  • heartlacingheartlacing Posts: 24 Member
    The team has gotten too caught up in trying to add trends and dIvErSiTy into the game, and make it a happy bubble safe space. They've let everything else fall to the wayside and the game is simply not enjoyable.

this feels like a weirdly aggressive non sequitur, making space for diverse sims doesn't detract from the fundamentally broken AI. like, hijabs and relaxed gender frame settings aren't the things that make the emotions mechanism bad lol
    The team has gotten too caught up in trying to add trends and dIvErSiTy into the game, and make it a happy bubble safe space. They've let everything else fall to the wayside and the game is simply not enjoyable.

this feels like a weirdly aggressive non sequitur, making space for diverse sims doesn't detract from the fundamentally broken AI. like, hijabs and relaxed gender frame settings aren't the things that make the emotions mechanism bad lol
    Whilst the person you quoted seemed weirdly aggressive about it to the point where it almost seems they don't like the idea of diversity in and off itself. I personally like a diverse game, but...

As an LGBT person and a woman, the issue is that a lot of EA's diverse marketing is incredibly surface level, pandering and feels like what I call "woke capitalism". They're using the idea of diversity itself to sell a product. I don't like that, it's cheap, it takes my identity and turns it into a quick cash grab.

That said, yeah, EA catering to this has nothing to do with the issues with the game, and you're right. Totally non-sequitor.
    XVlamuQ.png
  • tweedletweedle Posts: 89 Member
    edited April 2020

I'm not the person you were responding to but I'll give my personal input. The diversity in this game is very shallow. The amount of skin tones, hair colors, and eye colors are laughable. Heterochromia for cats and dogs but none for human sims? Are you serious? The clothing is clearly not re-meshed properly for both gender frames despite eliminating the gender restriction. No skin details that depict subtle scars or skin conditions like vitiligo... I can go on forever.

Ding-dong! Your baby is gone!

-Social Worker, probably
  • MrSpacemanMrSpaceman Posts: 382 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    The reason ? 'sAfe sPaCe wHere wE aLL cAn lEaRn aNd gRow'
    The root of evil in this game. Not everyone wants an uwu wonderland where everything and everyone are sweet as a candy.
    The amount of skin tones, hair colors, and eye colors are laughable.
    That's very true. We don't have basic common real life colors, but for some reason there's that weird yellow shade. Ever seen anyone with yellow hair? I don't see it unless it's an unusual hair dye or a failed try to go from one color to another. But in TS4 it's what's supposed to be blonde hair.

I'm very pale and I can't find a skintone that matches me or people from my social circle, most of them are pale. It's either yellowish or pinkish. I have to use the one that looks slightly tanned which is far from close, but still closer than the lightest skintones in the game. There are only vampire skintones left that are pale. But I'm not dead yet! :D
    As an LGBT person and a woman, the issue is that a lot of EA's diverse marketing is incredibly surface level, pandering and feels like what I call "woke capitalism". They're using the idea of diversity itself to sell a product. I don't like that, it's cheap, it takes my identity and turns it into a quick cash grab.
    Noticed that too. I'm not an LGBT person, but I've always wondered why some LGBT people are very happy about the game and the way they're represented in it. Most of the opposite sex clothes don't even fit a sim, how is this ok and respectful? Unfortunately I'm only friends with just one LGBT simmer that I can ask about it, but he's not the one who cares about the game diversity. He has some LGBT sims, but doesn't really focus on the fact they're LGBT.

I also don't understand why there's no option to choose who has breasts and who hasn't. Because sometimes I like certain pieces of clothing that are designed for female sims, but might as well look good on males, such as cool leather jackets, and can't use them for my male sims without them getting breasts.
    Don’t forget:

1. You can pee like a champion and
    2. Talk to the toilet.
    I have a very complicated relationship with toilet humor and all of this makes me really cringe. The game is messed up and incomplete in so many ways, but all they care about is making everything about poops and farts.

• ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    I have to use mods to make the game somewhat playable. I find when I want to create drama it starts great and then suddenly flat lines :s . I wish TS2 was on origin, I would buy it all!

TS2, imo, was the peak of The Sims games, it had all those little details that made it feel REAL! and the drama I could create was so much fun and had so much emotion. If there was a game to go back and update (like graphics and such), it would be this one as I would LOVE to see what it would look like with the tech that is available now. TS3 is a close second for me, I loved the open world and it still had some of those TS2 elements I loved with some new things that came with TS3 (Zombies anyone? lol).

If we ever get TS5, I am worried what it is going to end up like if this is what TS4 is like. I don't believe it will (or ever will be) multi-player as I read that they will not be doing something like that for TS. I personally don't like the idea of multi-player but if it did happen then there HAS to be a button where I can turn it off. That will be a real deal breaker for me.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited April 2020
    I don't understand.Why didn't they pushed the release of four.At 2015 instead of 2014.An extra year could improve the ai, balance the emotions.Have toddlers, ghost, pools, and maybe more develops life stages .

Because they heard the sound of rubbed money. These are hungry scammers. Plus most of the simmers will buy anything, even a blank paper. So the decision was quick and easy for them.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    TS2 updated to take full advantages of the tech available in 2020 but keeping all that made it great... That would be the top of my game buying list, and I have the original on two machines. Sadly, the old Arizona will be flagship of the Pacific Fleet before that happens.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited April 2020
    Yeah that is why I have been addicted to Animal Crossing. Been waiting for real emotions for five years and just gave up and getting them with cute little animals that act more human than the Sims. I mean it is far from the kid friendly kid gloves game the Sims 4 is that only has "safe" woohoo interactions and "safe" death interactions going for it. I miss Sims being teen rated. Oh well, I am finding an E for everyone game with Animal Crossing New Horizons far more mature than the Sims 4 now which is probably why people from kids to 88 year olds are enjoying the game while the Sims 4 is made for kids that need everything and anything to be positive only. What an unsafe space to grow dictator Sims with its "safe space" design. So I am enjoying a real game now that actually appeals to Simmers, Game Changers, and Gurus alike. I noticed even Game Changers are bored of the Sims 4 by now which is saying a lot. Most have moved onto playing Animal Crossing now. So thank you SimGuruGrant for sharing all your cute Animal Crossing pictures too. <3 Makes me happy. I don't need mods to make Animal Crossing playable and that is saying a lot and the events are actually fun to do.

AC is also ADA friendly and LGBTQIA+ friendly too. They have ramps and wheelchairs and different type of toilets used around the world. There is wallpaper and floor that is literally garbage too and the effects on walls and floors is really out of this world and amazing like cloud flooring that actually has a smoke effect. So can have any time of style whether it is Lolita, Grunge, Steampunk, Peppy, Sporty, etc. Really a little something for everyone and a create a style feature and your building isn't only confined to your "lot".
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top