Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

April Patch Speculation 2020 (Available Now April 7th)

Comments

• amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
    I’m starting to doubt we’ll even get a patch in April with the way things are going in the world right now. If there is one I’m expecting a few bug fixes, but nothing major. Let’s hope they’re putting all their focus into new pack content.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,018 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    Gordy wrote: »
    Obligatory guess that we'll get dragons or whatever. Eh.

Prettttttty sure the RoM familiars fulfill EA's definition of "we did dragons already".
    I can't accept those glorified drones as a substitute for the Sims 1 dragons. I hope that my incessant wishing will plant a seed that I will see harvest.

I wouldn't hold your breath, buddy.

Hell, I was hoping we'd see some modded familiars (dragons in other colours, maybe, or the ability for dragon familiars to start fires), but RoM modding died within like a month of the pack dropping.
    I can still have hope. Even if it's false hope, I'll still hold onto it. I will never give up on my boy, Torch.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • lindaatjuhlindaatjuh Posts: 52 Member
    Still hoping for poolslides and round pools.
    And swimmable water in other worlds beside Sulani and Britechester.
  • SinaMegapolisSinaMegapolis Posts: 244 Member
    Since EAxis people are working from home they don't have access to the motion capture equipment needed for new animations

This means that if they haven't finished anything by the time they began working from home then we won't see new feature until they get back to full work

In other words: We can only expect bug fix updates (and a new hollow pack if we're lucky) to come out during the quarantine state.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Since EAxis people are working from home they don't have access to the motion capture equipment needed for new animations

They don't use motion capture
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member

This means that if they haven't finished anything by the time they began working from home then we won't see new feature until they get back to full work

In other words: We can only expect bug fix updates (and a new hollow pack if we're lucky) to come out during the quarantine state.

They are not using Motion Capture for Sims 4. All animations are still done by hand, that's why we can't have nice things in Sims 4.
  • SinaMegapolisSinaMegapolis Posts: 244 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »

They are not using Motion Capture for Sims 4. All animations are still done by hand, that's why we can't have nice things in Sims 4.

But some of the animations look so smooth?
    I kinda guessed "EA wouldn't be crazy enough to hire like 40 animators to make animations together by hand so they probably use motion capture"
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »

But some of the animations look so smooth?
    I kinda guessed "EA wouldn't be crazy enough to hire like 40 animators to make animations together by hand so they probably use motion capture"

With the right software, I can make some pretty decent animation cycles at home myself. And I don't have nearly the skill other people do.

But if they're doing the animations by hand, it does explain why animations are expensive to produce, because they take so many man-hours.
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,643 Member
    I really hope to see pool slides and pool waterfalls in the Next Update. I still cant believe we dont have pool slides.

Pool slides would be fun! :)
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Not too sure about what is really going on but a little communication wouldn't hurt and maybe a small patch for some bug fixes would be nice. I'm not holding my breath to it though since everything has pretty much become a drag.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Probably worth remembering that:
    A, Maxis are working from home,
    and B, the next pack is in the "voice/sound recording" stage (usually the last stage of development before a game is ready to ship). (Source: https://simscommunity.info/2020/03/04/the-sims-4s-9th-expansion-pack-is-in-the-final-stage-of-production/)

So, a patch for April is most likely coming, and it's pretty likely to be a pre-GP patch (if not April, then the May patch will be the pre-pack patch)

Maxis, as far as we're aware, is continuing on, business as usual.
    Coronavirus probably created a few bumps in the road (which is why we didn't get a March patch, but we did get Gallery maintenence), but I don't think we'll see any significant delays. Adjusting to working from home probably accounted for a bit of a delay in development, but it's not like the game's been cancelled or anything crazy.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    Obligatory guess that we'll get dragons or whatever. Eh.

Prettttttty sure the RoM familiars fulfill EA's definition of "we did dragons already".
    I can't accept those glorified drones as a substitute for the Sims 1 dragons. I hope that my incessant wishing will plant a seed that I will see harvest.

I wouldn't hold your breath, buddy.

Hell, I was hoping we'd see some modded familiars (dragons in other colours, maybe, or the ability for dragon familiars to start fires), but RoM modding died within like a month of the pack dropping.
    I can still have hope. Even if it's false hope, I'll still hold onto it. I will never give up on my boy, Torch.

You have at least one ally dreaming of dragons. :)
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited March 2020
    But they can't do a livestream from home... right ?

I mean from 3 or 4 SimGuru homes.
    and B, the next pack is in the "voice/sound recording" stage (usually the last stage of development before a game is ready to ship). (Source: https://simscommunity.info/2020/03/04/the-sims-4s-9th-expansion-pack-is-in-the-final-stage-of-production/)

So, a patch for April is most likely coming, and it's pretty likely to be a pre-GP patch (if not April, then the May patch will be the pre-pack patch)

These news were before COVID-19, it's outdated now. The development process have been slow down since 2 weeks.

I don't know how voice/sound recording could be possible from home in particular the simlish songs with famous artists.

These news were before COVID-19, it's outdated now. The development process have been slow down since 2 weeks.

I don't know how voice/sound recording could be possible from home in particular the simlish songs with famous artists.

Depends on what equipment the person has at home. I have a friend who was contacted for some voice work just as everything was shutting down who mentioned it in passing - admittedly as a job he'd planned to pass on because he didn't think his home equipment was up to it, but the client wanted him to give it a try anyway. But the point I'm extracting from it here is that home studios *may* be a viable option, depending on the resources at said home studio.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Best case scenario: We finally get cops, burglars, and firefighters patched in and alien disguises are finally updated with the same linking options as vampire dark forms.

Most plausible scenario: We get some bug fixes and a social distancing-themed T-shirt

Most likely scenario: We get some bug fixes.

Worst case scenario: A bug fix patch that breaks the game in such a way that you can't even launch it, causing already cabin fever-stricken simmers to riot in the digital streets and spam the forums and all of the Sims Team's social media accounts with angry rants and threats of oblivion.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member

You're assuming there'll be music in the next pack. Not every pack comes with a new radio station.
    You're also assuming the recording hasn't already been done. They're hiring a Voice Editor, ie one that edits (it's in the name) audio that's already been recorded.

Lots of voice actors also own their own microphones. It's not unreasonable to suppose they can record their lines from home, with voice direction given over Skype.
    wJbomAo.png
  • SeriphinaFyieSeriphinaFyie Posts: 3,506 Member
    I'm guessing we get 14 new models for toilet paper holders.
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,572 Member
    Releasing a Gameplay Pack in the near future seems to be an excellent idea from the fiscal point of view. I bet there'll be more people than usual who are willing to buy the pack at full price instead of waiting for a sale. We didn't get anything since the Tiny pack in January and people are spending more time at home due to the current situation.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    It would make sense for something to be released before March 31st, but given the situation we are in with this virus I'm not counting on much of anything new coming our way before the end of April. We might see a small update in mid April with a few bug fixes, but anything larger than that might not be possible until we see a marked decrease in the number of new cases of COVID-19 being reported. Even with the stay at home order here in Washington we are seeing more new cases every day. The 14 day incubation period before the onset of symptoms is the main problem. It is going to take a month before we see any sign we're making some headway in getting this under control. And the idea this will happen by Easter is not a realistic one. I'll wait for new content if it means people will stay home, stay safe and stop this virus from spreading. Yes, the devs are set up to work from home, but how that changes the usual way they work is something we don't know anything about. This is a unique situation most of us have never experienced before. No doubt it has made a huge difference in how quickly the devs are able to finish whatever new content they were working on before this all started. It would be fun to have some new content to help take our minds off our new reality, but I'll wait and find other things to keep myself entertained if the game becomes boring. And, so far, that hasn't happened.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I don't know what is it, but we're getting a patch soon.

source: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/973899/the-sims-4-macos-notarization-faq#latest
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • secretlondon123secretlondon123 Posts: 181 Member
    xamira99 wrote: »

source: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/973899/the-sims-4-macos-notarization-faq#latest

Nah. It says in the upcoming patch - doesn't say it's in April. It's a non-visible change in where some files are stored in OSX.
    xamira99 wrote: »

Nah. It says in the upcoming patch - doesn't say it's in April. It's a non-visible change in where some files are stored in OSX.

You really think they'd announce even a minor patch and then not do anything for over a month?

It may be a small patch that doesn't affect half the players, but there clearly will be a patch and probably within a week or so.
  • Carl_Veluz1992Carl_Veluz1992 Posts: 500 Member
    Go for cars
  • lindaatjuhlindaatjuh Posts: 52 Member
    And finally make NPC's appear at foodstalls!!
    It's not an issue with the existing foodstalls, but if you build a (public) lot en place a foodstall, there will be no vendor unless you hire one... seems odd.

Same goes for bars at swimmingpools. Feels weird to have to make your own drink at a public pool. (Maybe add vendingmachines)