Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Generations Challenge

Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
I challenged myself to play 10 generations of the game on the Short lifespan because I usually get bored 4 or so generations in when I play legacy style on the Normal lifespan. I've been taking screenshots of them every time they age so I could see how the family changed over time (images below). Today Rose, the generation 10 heir, finally reached the toddler stage so I am concluding the challenge.

Some thoughts on the challenge:
  • I still prefer playing on the normal lifespan with a few minor alterations thanks to MCCC. The toddler, child and teen lifespans passed so quickly that it often felt like I barely got to achieve anything with them during that time. Yes, there were times I was glad of it because it meant I didn't wait so long to pass to the next stage but it did feel like I was dressing them up in new outfits then they were aging up again a very short time afterwards!
  • I felt like I had to rush to get everyone married off quickly to give them more time with their kids, and later on I started using the potion with the founder and/or their spouse to keep them as a young adult or adult for longer. MCCC lets me turn on pregnancy aging to keep spouses ages in line but I had to turn it off due to the shorter lifespans.
  • I only sent one sim to university because I wanted to bang through the challenge, and he spent his kids' entire childhood as a student (I would normally switch aging off entirely for university).
  • The early stages of the game were tricky due to having to make money and build up my house (a castle) as well as keep some money back for the "spares" as I made sure every heir had at least 2 children but later on the family had a greenhouse and 2 money trees so the later heirs didn't even need to work because they made so much money.
  • The castle with its 4 separate towers, gatehouse and keep was a terrible choice of home because it takes forever for them to get anywhere in the house. Now the challenge is finished I am actually relieved I don't have to play in such a nightmare of a property any more. I have also had a really irritating bug with the dishes so I'm hoping it's a problem with the lot and not something that will happen in all households!
  • Final thoughts - I would do this again if I wanted to do a shorter challenge but as a rule I much prefer the Normal lifespan.

And now, here are some images of the sims at each lifestage. I also took pictures of their full body outfits but that was too much work to compile so I decided to stick with just the heads!

639efccb6cc04d7bcbb52dcab0f1665cb2b99b1a.jpg

809982a57b0bb1c6d022bb8064b3fdbb06aadbd7.jpg

4ea6e30ce04cb6b7406f64ce7344314e1a873bc9.jpg

Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.

Comments

• texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    @Mariefoxprice83 very nice!! Thanks for the tips. Im always trying to reach gen 10 in my games :) short lifespan makes it quickier, but i also prefer normal so that i have time to work a storyline around each heir.
    Im curious in what means "nee..." by the name of the heirs...?
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    telmarina wrote: »
    @Mariefoxprice83 very nice!! Thanks for the tips. Im always trying to reach gen 10 in my games :) short lifespan makes it quickier, but i also prefer normal so that i have time to work a storyline around each heir.

It's how you show a married woman's maiden name. It's actually née but I forgot to put the accent on!
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    telmarina wrote: »

It's how you show a married woman's maiden name. It's actually née but I forgot to put the accent on!

I actually switched it to the woman's last name as the default for the kids. I find it easier to keep track of that way for generations. (The same for marriage too) It's set as default, but I may change it manually on a household for story-wise. For example, all my Calhouni's directly related to the 1rst generation will always be Calhouni, and their spouses too. ;)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

Admiral8Q wrote: »

I actually switched it to the woman's last name as the default for the kids. I find it easier to keep track of that way for generations. (The same for marriage too) It's set as default, but I may change it manually on a household for story-wise. For example, all my Calhouni's directly related to the 1rst generation will always be Calhouni, and their spouses too. ;)

I thought about retaining the founder's maiden name but once I realised MCCC had defaulted her name to the husband's, I just left it as it was.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member

I thought about retaining the founder's maiden name but once I realised MCCC had defaulted her name to the husband's, I just left it as it was.

Actually, maybe because 99% of the time I didn't have them 'married', is why it defaulted to the mother. Hmmm...
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited March 2020
    I fell in love with Harold. And with his son.
    giphy.gif

Anyhow, congrats!!! I hope I can achieve my gen 10 later this year.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p

Actually, maybe because 99% of the time I didn't have them 'married', is why it defaulted to the mother. Hmmm...

Maybe, yeah. MCCC is set to change the wife's name to the husband's, though I have definitely allowed the mothers to retain their maiden names in married saves, or occasionally had the husband take the wife's name. Nadia from Generation 7 is the only female sim whose heir was born before she married. Her son Harold was a Kalani, as was his twin, but her other 2 children became Sigworths because their parents married before they were born.
    I fell in love with Harold. And with his son.
    giphy.gif

Anyhow, congrats!!! I hope I can achieve my gen 10 later this year.

You can do it! It takes a lot of time and I'm in no hurry to do it again. I think next time I'll start in an empty world with just NPCs and slowly populate the town, but that won't be for ages yet. The genealogies became very large because of all the spouses' families.