Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can someone tell me if they have any problems with Sims 4 on D drive? Considering it.

I currently have my game on C drive, BUT I'm guilty of loving CC. I have more than I care to discuss at this time :* . Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has done this successfully lately. My D drive is just sitting there with 931GB free space. I would have MORE than enough left over with the game content and custom content. Please help me out here. I'm getting close to being out of space! THANK YOU!!!

Comments

• lzbthnndglslzbthnndgls Posts: 285 Member
    So I actually started playing the sims on an external harddrive with my laptop. I ran into two issues:

1)The save files saved to my C drive while the application existed on my E drive... Took some figuring out to make it work better
    2)It would heat up my external drive so much it crashed
    3)Once I moved it back over to my C drive completely, it was loads faster

Reccomendations: Move other files, like word documents onto your D drive instead. The Sims does NOT like being played on any other drive.
    Check out my builds on the gallery by searching my username: lzbthnndgls
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    If D drive is an internal drive within your computer (much like a C drive being a smaller SSD and a D drive being a larger HDD) you can do that with no problems at all.

I would not, however, recommend running the game off an external drive.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • ChuChuExpressChuChuExpress Posts: 3,228 Member
    edited March 2020
    The only problem I can think of is the external going to sleep. Considering how little space I have on my laptop's internal, I have no choice here (besides, it's a 1TB WD myPassport).
    e6581e69b0d7d8f9e02cb1e30b50f464959bfb2a.png
    Sims 4 Family: Benjamin, Shine, Princess Roddy, Sophia and Hamish Furystrykar and Shelly Heart. Princess Roddy is my avatar, and he's a boy!
    Let those smiles spread!
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I play sims 3 no problem on D drive so I don't see why it should be a problem. I recently moved it there because sims 4 and 3 together and cc maxed out my c drive 😆
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    edited March 2020
    I play all my games on my D drive since my C barely had enough space to swing a cat. I’ve had no problems with it. Just took some tweaking in Origin to get it there. I now store everything on D and backup to an external just in case.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    This is a bit of a confusing thing to ask cuz some people might have two hard drives in their system where they could use both of them with no problem since it's set up that way, and then they have an extra E drive. 😂

Either way, I suggest that you get The Sims game files and all those screenshot things in the same drive. And if possible, Origin should be in the same drive as well.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • akaniki0akaniki0 Posts: 470 Member
    I would repartition it. It would be easier in the long run since most things want to install on C. It's not hard to do.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    My recommendation, copy everything from your 'the sims 4' folder to something that can handle it, like another hard-drive or external drive. Then uninstall Sims 4 from your C drive, install it to your D drive. Then from where you saved everything on the temporary one, copy and paste after Sims 4 is fully installed and updated of-course on you D drive. Don't replace any files, just let it put in things that are not duplicates.
    Probably would take many hours, if not a couple days to do.
    -
    Another way would be to copy your mods folder only, nothing else. (For screenshots and videos., may as well put that on a different drive, like a USB chip or something if you want to save them.) Then uninstall and delete completely Origin and Sims 4. Reinstall on the D drive.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    edited March 2020
    P.S. This is why I do not 'check' the 'always do this' option for anything. ;)
    It only takes a sec to say yes or no.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    I had my daughters fiance help me create a separate drive for my Sims 4 games. I don't recommend having the game on the C drive, it doesn't hold memory very well.
  • KatzcKatzc Posts: 506 Member
    These are good ideas that I am really looking into. YES, my D drive is internal. I had it installed when I bought my Omen Obelisk. I also have an external E drive. So I noticed a lot of people said it should be no problem if it is an internal drive.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    My sims game is actually on E drive. I put it on one of my ssd drives because I was told it was easier/faster to access files from them. I've had no problems with it not being on C drive.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • chrstal27chrstal27 Posts: 75 Member
    edited March 2020
    I would suggest not asking this here. You can install the game files on the D Drive but your downloads and saves and all that will stay in your Documents folder which is always on the C drive. Moving the game files to D will free up space though. You need to direct origin on what drive to put the game files.
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    edited March 2020
    You can easily set the install location for a game in Origin. Open "Application Settings" and on the "Install & Saves" tab changes the origin Game Library location to somewhere on your D drive. I have a
    D:\Games

directory, and I told Origin to create the library under there

The Sims 4 runs fine from your D Drive. Or your E or F drive.

Changing the location of your Documents directory is a lot more complicated although its apparently easier on Windows 10 than before.

EDIT: stupid forum software changing stuff to emoticons automatically
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs