Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fun - Is The Fun Need Fundamentally Broken?

Comments

• EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    The thing is, just because you are a bookworm doesn't mean that you can't enjoy other activities too. You can be a bookworm and still like gardening, painting, bowling, dancing, baking, or whatever. Other activities are still fun, they're just not your most favorite thing.
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    edited March 2020
    Maybe, It feels a little wonky too me and its slightly ridiculous that the fastest way for adults to refill it is woohoo. And surely sims should find most activities related to their primary aspirations or activities they have a high level in, say above 6 fun? It seems daft that all sims have to take the gym bunny aspiration reward to find exercising fun but if they are going that way, they should have similar cheap rewards for all skills.

EDIT: and the Low Fun is Boring mod, which as far as I can tell works without problems still, fixes the problem with the tense moodlets and whims. Its such a part of my game I had forgotten its installed
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • kusurusukusurusu Posts: 971 Member
    Previous game(s) had fun need decay to 0 only (instead of -100). Stress lowered it further while relaxing raised it to 0. Thus you were doing fine without any fun objects as long as you don't have any work.
    My SuperSim Collection: Rosetta Stone · Sona Ali
  • akaniki0akaniki0 Posts: 470 Member
    My sim has fun painting, but she does have the creative trait. Her fun bar also fills fast for dancing, woohoo and the classic tv channel.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    I don't have a problem getting it to go back up exactly, my problem is how much it goes down for some things.
    For instance, I know school is boring, but my Sims come home with their fun completely tanked. They end up doing their homework late at night or early in the morning because I spent hours fulfilling their needs and getting their fun back up first. If their fun only went down a little at school, I could have them do their homework first thing, then do other stuff. I have the same problem with Sims at work.

I'm aware that taking it easy or socializing will slow the drop, but then their career or grade progress stops or goes backwards.

I had this problem in Sims 2 and installed a mod for it that slowed the decay, but I prefer not to install mods until they stop updating a game.

Actually, I've found that kids come home from school with less fun loss in S4 than in previous games. I put them on the monkey bars (also good for keeping them slim) for an hour before starting homework, and that fills their fun need. I have my teens do yoga, which isn't as much fun, and if they're still a bit low, I have them play video games on the computer for a few minutes before starting homework.

Video games are the fastest way to fill fun, but Sims also fill their fun reading (especially if they have the bookworm trait). Painters with the creative trait do get fun from painting. Writers, however, never seem to have any fun. The earbuds can help with many activities that aren't a lot of fun - I tend not to use them, only because they make the game a bit too easy for me.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I have no issues with the Fun need. Just keep track of that particular Sims perks and it works just fine.

The fun need has absolutely nothing to do with what you, the player, would consider fun and everything with what the Sims personality dictates.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
    Sharonia wrote: »
    MVWdeZT wrote: »
    Painting is fun for Sims with the creative trait.

But why is it only fun for sims that have the trait? In real life people can find activities fun without being overly invested in the subject of what they focus on for instance I'm not a painter but I still probably would find painting a fun activity to do.

Because that's logical?
  • LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member
    I sometimes wish that sims were randomly allocated "fun" for different tasks, similar to the hidden traits which makes you like fruitcake. It would be really interesting to see a sim washing dishes and having their fun increase slightly, or seeing a sims watch TV and not have their fun fulfilled at all.
    I sometimes wish that sims were randomly allocated "fun" for different tasks, similar to the hidden traits which makes you like fruitcake. It would be really interesting to see a sim washing dishes and having their fun increase slightly, or seeing a sims watch TV and not have their fun fulfilled at all.

To a point, I agree, though Neat sims gets a Fun boost from doing dishes, cleaning, or doing laundry already, which is logical.
    I do wish there were more options that either had a hidden trait, like fruitcake, OR that you can assign preferences to like you can already do to movie genres and weather. Radio stations, TV stations, Type of exercise (cardio or muscle building) etc.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,303 Member
    I've played a household completely off the grid. (Admiral 8Q and Hanna Harpoun) So no TV, no computer, no phone(other than communication), etc. There are many ways in-game to keep the fun up. :)
    The TV and computer/phone, radio/stereo or any other electronics are just the most obvious ones.
    From my game-play experience, I say it's not broken. Although I think "whoohooing" should put up fun, heheh! :p
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    From my game-play experience, I say it's not broken. Although I think "whoohooing" should put up fun, heheh! :p

It definitely does in my game.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I guess I keep thinking if the Sim sounds like they are having fun then the Fun need should go up. A bubble bath should be fun but it wasn't actually the fun went down while she was in it.

Experimenting on the cauldron should be fun but it's not. Etc.

Maybe my idea of fun is broken. I guess I'm just having issues finding fun things to do that aren't apparent lol
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Very interesting thread to read !
    I never considered a few of these points before and now I indeed see that fun *is* a little broken.
    The electronics obsession of the sims would be better balanced if more things were fun, even a tiny bit.
    Even when they introduced actual fun activities, like the swingset or ice skating, or even the new football in DU, they code it so badly that no one uses it. Apparently there are 2 settings in item attraction for sims devs: very high use at all times, or ignore completely.
    FanPhoria wrote: »
    The only thing that really bugs me about the fun need is that it makes the sim tense, but then the tense moodlet induced whims (yes, I play with whims, don't judge :D ) are rarely for things that raise fun. A shower isn't gonna help when tension is due to low fun need, lol. I've sometimes thought maybe low fun should make sims bored rather than tense? I think there's a mod for that.
    I use that mod (and a few others) and I love it. It gives much needed variety in terms of negative emotions, low fun -> bored, low energy -> dazed, low hygiene -> embarrassed.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    The fact that painting doesn't usually generate fun (I think Art Lover sims get fun from it, but no one else does) is solid proof that fun is at least a little broken. Like, shouldn't writing fiction generate fun too, at least temporarily? I certainly have fun when I paint or write fiction in real life, so why is it a drain on fun for our sims? And shouldn't sims with certain personality traits actually gain fun from doing the school projects from "Parenthood?" There are things that should be fun that aren't...and also videogames rapidly increase fun on all sims regardless of traits.

...Yeah, probably a little broken. Just...just a little...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    As an attempt to further my research I am using stuff I found in the Function Sort > Recreation and Outdoor Activities to see if they are more fun.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Apparently riding around on bikes rockets up the fun need.
    When I play today, I'll keep an eye on things that increase fun. Got me notepad ready... ;)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    Playing with pets increases fun also.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I have no issues with the Fun need. Just keep track of that particular Sims perks and it works just fine.

The fun need has absolutely nothing to do with what you, the player, would consider fun and everything with what the Sims personality dictates.

If that was true, my sims should not require any electronic devices to fill the fun meter.
  • CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    Playing with pets increases fun also.

The laser pointer and cat wand increase fun for the human and keep the cat happy. Double win!
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I would like my Sims with high comedy skills to have more fun telling each other jokes.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
    edited March 2020
    The fact that painting doesn't usually generate fun (I think Art Lover sims get fun from it, but no one else does) is solid proof that fun is at least a little broken. Like, shouldn't writing fiction generate fun too, at least temporarily? I certainly have fun when I paint or write fiction in real life, so why is it a drain on fun for our sims?

Actually look at it this way. You like painting and writing fiction, so yes! That is fun for you. But someone who is not interested in it, or even hates it, doing it is not fun. It's draining. The same for cooking. Some love cooking, so it's fun! Some people do it because it's necessary, a chore, others hate cooking. Some people love math, so it's fun! Some do it as a neutral necessary thing, some people hate math!

What I'm getting at is that one thing that is fun for you, or me, may not be for someone else. Or something that is fun some people, may not be fun for you or me. ;)

Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

Non-electronics fun:
    Singing gives fun. Two arrows >> . Anyone can do it, plus it puts up the skill.
    Violin, Guitar (with singing adds to fun) Two to three arrows >> or >>> .
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• HannaZojaHannaZoja Posts: 93 Member
    They are constantly playing PC games. It is horrible. If they are not playing games, they are using their phones.
    Favourite Game: Sims 3 <3
    Favourite Worlds Sims 3: Hidden Springs, Barnacle Bay, Riverview, Isla Paradiso, Sunlit Tides, Monte Vista, Dragon Valley, Al Simhara, Shang Simla, Roaring Heights, Lunar Lakes

Favourite Worlds Sims 4: Britechester, Windenburg, Sulani - possibly Mt. Komorebi
    edited March 2020
    Heehee! I put together this short video clip. Hard to believe it took me hours to make this!

This put their fun up fairly quickly.
    No singing skill to start with for either of them, though the guy had decent guitar skill already. :)

I put together 3 different 'townie' households into one. An adult father and teen daughter, a teen mother and child daughter, and a single adult woman. Made them into a family of Adult father and mother, two teen daughters, and a child granddaughter. :smile:

They were townies that were doing useful things anyways as npc's. Why I didn't delete them. Plus they all looked similar, hair, skin colour, and eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLneVcazzX0
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png