Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Coronavirus: An EA Update

Comments

• lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    edited April 2020
    Going on 16 days sick now. Still coughing. Still can't do anything.
    Laughing makes me cough, I discovered while bingeing "Nailed It" today.

Still working on my big house in Sims. I set up a Windows partition on my laptop so I could install Sims 2 again. I've missed it.

@LeGardePourpre I'm sorry for your loss. Nursing homes and retirement communities are bad places to be right now.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    My grandmother passed away today, she was 92 years old.

She had symptoms on Saturday and moved to the hospital yesterday.
    The virus caused kidney dysfunction and she couldn't breathe on her own.

The retirement home employees failed to protect the residents, several of them are infected now.

@LeGardePourpre I'm so very sorry to hear that. Peace to you and your family.
    #Team Occult
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    My grandmother passed away today, she was 92 years old.

She had symptoms on Saturday and moved to the hospital yesterday.
    The virus caused kidney dysfunction and she couldn't breathe on her own.

The retirement home employees failed to protect the residents, several of them are infected now.

My condolences to you & your family.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    edited April 2020
    @xamira99 @LiELF @lisamwitt @darrenfroggy @5782341b77vl

Thank you very much ! I really appreciate your kindness. Take care of you and your loved ones.

@lisamwitt

I didn't think the virus could resist that long. Is your husband still sick ?

I also installed The Sims 2 last weekend, I have so many good memories.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    On March 29 : USA (124k) (54k in New York, 11k in New Jersey and 6k in California)
    Ads
    On April 5 : USA (310k) (115k in New York, 34k in New Jersey and 14k in California)

+150% in 7 days...

That isn’t even mentioning Washington state which has now had over 8000 cases and 300 fatalities. And I live in King County which has had the most cases in the state. I work for an essential business: accounting and tax prep. I have been coming into the office one day a week, and working from home and running payrolls from home the other four days. At least our office emptied out once the filing extension was announced, but financially this has been hard on individuals and businesses.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
    edited May 2020
    @lisamwitt

I didn't think the virus could resist that long. Is your husband still sick ?

I also installed The Sims 2 last weekend, I have so many good memories.

I've read the average is two weeks, but there are people on either side of that obviously, if that's the average.
    Many cases that last longer end up in the hospital on a ventilator though. I saw a doc on the news this morning saying he had patients that were going on 19-20 days. They said Boris Johnson was sick for two weeks before he got moved to the ICU.

I'm not that sick, thank goodness. I had one night that I couldn't breath well and my husband said he didn't care if I had a fever or not, he wanted to take me. But they've been talking so much about how short they are on supplies and beds, and how they are trying to isolate everyone. It scared me too much so I held out. I was breathing better by morning, and it hasn't been quite that bad since.

My husband has had a mild cough this whole time, but that's it. He said he doesn't feel much worse than if it was allergies. I have a history of pneumonia, so maybe that's why it's hitting me hard?

I played Sims 2 for several hours last night. I'm back to working on my house in Sims 4 right now, but no doubt I'll go back to 2 later.

(Edited for spelling when I was reading back through this thread, because I have nothing better to do atm.)
    Post edited by lisamwitt on
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    Just in North Carolina (where I'm at) -

3908 - confirmed cases
    74 - deaths

(as of April 11, 2020)
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Our Prime Minister has left hospital!
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,404 Member
    My wife @Featherbelle works in retail “essential services” as her work contains a pharmacy and I hope she doesn’t bring the virus home as I’m in the “vulnerable” category having survived a severe pneumonia that at the time had me with 20% lung function (don’t know how far I’ve recovered in four years...but it was severe enough that if I had waited another 24hrs to seethe ER that Nov 2016 night, they would have had to slab and toe tag me according to the ER doctor).

So I’m self isolating. Haven’t crawled out of my house in a week and a half.

My computer is non-functional (using an iPhone to surf); running out of soda and going mental.

To all those who have lost loved ones; my deepest condolences.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    edited April 2020
    We find out today whether we remain in Lockdown or whether we move to alert level 3, which is still strict but a little more moving about.

Da2dBMA.png

These are our current stats
    I'm on day 29 now. Better, but STILL have a cough and my lungs feel itchy when I breathe. I've never had an illness that lasted more than a week or two before, except mono, and I'm about to surpass that.

My husband is fine now. My second oldest son had a cough for a few days, but he's fine now. None of the other three showed symptoms, but they had to have been exposed. It's all so strange.

I hope everyone out there is okay.

lisamwitt wrote: »
    I'm on day 29 now. Better, but STILL have a cough and my lungs feel itchy when I breathe. I've never had an illness that lasted more than a week or two before, except mono, and I'm about to surpass that.

My husband is fine now. My second oldest son had a cough for a few days, but he's fine now. None of the other three showed symptoms, but they had to have been exposed. It's all so strange.

I'm glad to hear you and your family are recovering. Please continue to be cautious, as far as I know, there's a chance that people can get it more than once but I think they need more info to know for sure.

Wishing you many healthy days to come. :smile:
    #Team Occult
    LiELF wrote: »

I'm glad to hear you and your family are recovering. Please continue to be cautious, as far as I know, there's a chance that people can get it more than once but I think they need more info to know for sure.

Its happened in South Korea & Italy https://nypost.com/2020/04/19/179-recovered-south-korean-coronavirus-patients-tested-positive-again/

It can be either a relapsed or reinfected again. The question is, how can we know if the test kit is reliable? Or how can we ensure the protocol to discharge the patients are well enough to declare that they are healthy.

More than anything, I sincerely hope that this is the case of reinfected instead of relapsed. It would be scary to know if the virus can be reactivated or lying dormant & react to the antibody & perhaps mutating.

Anywho, @lisamwitt , I'm glad that you & you're family are recovering! :)
    xamira99 wrote: »

Its happened in South Korea & Italy https://nypost.com/2020/04/19/179-recovered-south-korean-coronavirus-patients-tested-positive-again/

It can be either a relapsed or reinfected again. The question is, how can we know if the test kit is reliable? Or how can we ensure the protocol to discharge the patients are well enough to declare that they are healthy.

More than anything, I sincerely hope that this is the case of reinfected instead of relapsed. It would be scary to know if the virus can be reactivated or lying dormant & react to the antibody & perhaps mutating.

Many viruses are known to mutate so that's certainly a possibility, albeit a scary one. The world's scientists and medical communities are working hard to find out more, it just takes time, unfortunately.

I have a friend who we believe had the virus, he was suddenly struck with pneumonia and he's a healthy person in his early forties. He wasn't able to be tested at the time because there weren't enough tests and he didn't have all of the symptoms, but was told to assume he did have it and to quarantine. I mean, what healthy person just gets pneumonia out of nowhere in the Spring? But he has since recovered (thank the Gods) and his husband didn't get any symptoms at all.

I read that now they are doing research into seeing if there are people who have antibodies to fight the virus. It would be great if they make progress in this.
    #Team Occult
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    edited April 2020
    @LiELF

I don't know about your region, but I do know that the Coronavirus test in Japan are only about 70% accurate. If you will recall the married couple David and Sally Abel a couple months ago, Sally ended up with 2 negative test results. David had a negative, then a positive, a negative. He eventually got two negative results and was able to go back home to UK. It's just the reliability of these tests - 70% ! Need better testing
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!

Thanks.

My husband I were talking about that this morning. With as long as it's taking me to recover, I have no desire to possibly catch it again or relapse. I will continue to be very careful.

xamira99 wrote: »

Many viruses are known to mutate so that's certainly a possibility, albeit a scary one. The world's scientists and medical communities are working hard to find out more, it just takes time, unfortunately.

I have a friend who we believe had the virus, he was suddenly struck with pneumonia and he's a healthy person in his early forties. He wasn't able to be tested at the time because there weren't enough tests and he didn't have all of the symptoms, but was told to assume he did have it and to quarantine. I mean, what healthy person just gets pneumonia out of nowhere in the Spring? But he has since recovered (thank the Gods) and his husband didn't get any symptoms at all.

I read that now they are doing research into seeing if there are people who have antibodies to fight the virus. It would be great if they make progress in this.

Yep, and most of them are the one who has recovered, although it says that approximately 6% (https://businessinsider.com/study-recovered-coronavirus-patients-antibodies-2020-4?IR=T) didn't developed the antibodies at all. I reckon, it could be possibly due to their immunity level or others criteria which is still unknown because as the paper suggested, that those who didn't developed the antibodies are 40 y.o & younger, which is quite worrying. The things about culturing the viruses are indeed taking times where they need to replicate the experiments multiple times (I've done it so many times back when I did my degree & it can leads to a frustrating result too :( ). Let alone doing all the clinical testings with all the possible variables that the scientists need to consider such as their diets, family history, etc. More than anything, I sincerely hope that we are not giving up & strengthening our own immunity either physically or mentally.
    edited April 2020
    Saw a doc today finally, now that I've been sick for a month. I've developed bronchitis. Doc said she's seen a few covid-19 patients who didn't get better and developed bronchitis or pneumonia. The nurse that took my vitals was mad that because I didn't have a high fever I hadn't gotten treatment (not at me, at the people who said that). She said if she'd seen me, I would have already been treated. I'm getting breathing treatments and steroids now.

How's everyone else?
    edited April 2020
    @simspeaker4

Even if the virus evolves, our immune system will become stronger maybe with some unexpected side effects.
    Note too that humans are also evolving. Death by disease is part of the process: not all people infected with Black Death died, and the survivors thus spread their genes. Certain immunity genes are more prevalent in once plague-affected areas: 10% of Europeans are immune to HIV, thought to be a side effect of the genes that helped their ancestors survive plague.

@lisamwitt

That is a problem, people are too focused on COVID-19 and forget there are other diseases.

At least you can properly take care of you now, that's good news.
    edited April 2020
    mcrudd wrote: »
    We find out today whether we remain in Lockdown or whether we move to alert level 3, which is still strict but a little more moving about.

These are our current stats

In France, they begin to talk about the end of the lockdown (progressively) because the ratio is 0.6 (10 patients infect only 6 persons in 1 week).
    That means the hospitals can manage the new cases, the number of active cases is stable.

I think it will take 6 weeks to decrease but we are late, Germany active cases already have been decreased for 2 weeks (-40%).

When everybody obey to the sanitary rules, it takes 4 weeks to make the situation stable and 4 weeks to decrease the number of active cases.
    edited May 2020
    5 weeks later...

43% active cases of the world are in USA (903k) (241k in New York, 112k in New Jersey and 46k in California)
    35% in Europe (742k) (150k in UK, 100k in Russia and Italy)

USA had 36k new cases yesterday, Russia +8k, Brasil +7k and UK +6k.

Current situation

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Top 10 of the most infected countries (more than 10k cases)
    1. USA (124k) (54k in New York, 11k in New Jersey and 6k in California)
    2. Italy (93k)
    3. China (82k)
    4. Spain (79k)
    5. Germany (59k)
    6. Iran (39k)
    7. France (38k)
    8. UK (20k)
    9. Switzerland (15k)
    10. Netherlands (11k)
    Some places here are starting to reopen. My son went back to his retail job yesterday.

So now what happens?
    Enough people have been exposed already that we don't see much of a rise in cases.
    People trickle back out over a few weeks instead of all rushing out at once, so we don't see a huge rise in cases.
    There's still too many people who haven't been exposed, or those who were but didn't build up antibodies, and we see another spike in cases.

Hopefully it will be one of the first two. There will still be new cases, what matters is how many happen at once. We've seen what happens when there's too many for available resources. You get people who wouldn't have died under normal circumstances, and people like me who weren't able to see a doctor at all for way too long.
    I'm now on day 42 with a cough. I'm improving, now that I'm getting breathing treatments. But I didn't even see a doctor or start treatments until I'd been sick for a month. A month.

On the plus side, I've built two houses, set up a Windows partition to play Sims 2, read a book and a half, found some good tv shows to stream, and quite a bit of crocheting.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    @lisamwitt I'm glad to hear you're on the mend. I'm in the USA, Maryland, and we had 1000 new cases in the last 24 hours so no telling when the governor will lift the stay at home order.

I'm quite content though as I've always been more of a homebody and have plenty to occupy myself with. I drive daily to my son and daughter-in-law to babysit and since they're working from home I feel pretty safe as they're not in contact with the public. We're all ordering food and groceries and staying out of the stores.

I am worried about my husband though. He's always been the life of the party and is going stir crazy. 😄
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    Universal Credit here in the UK is pretty naff. Applying was horrible because our landlord made a mistake with our tenancy agreement five years ago, meaning we had to wait for that to be sorted. When we finally got accepted, we were entitled to £700 a month, but after deductions (bedroom tax, half the rent and paying back an advance) we get £200. We still have to pay half the rent (£90) and then council tax, which is more than what we have left, so that leaves nothing for food. Council tax can be reduced, but applying involves waiting for a 28 paged form and the process takes weeks. We have savings that will last until the end of the month.

I could apply for PIP because of my mild disability but that takes 16 weeks without a pandemic, 70% of claims are rejected and the money it would grant still wouldn't cover taxes.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif