Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Coronavirus: An EA Update

Comments

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    @DeKay wrote: Β»
    The countries which had 2 months to prepare are more infected in 3 weeks than China in 3 months.

I guess China is the safest place in the world now (+31 cases in 24 hours)

It's weird cuz the countries that literally had no time to prepare for this is doing much better now.

But like someone said, it's probably cuz a lot of the other countries did not take it seriously at first and didn't know how contagious it could be.

It's also possible China don't tell the whole truth about the number of cases, it wouldn't be the first time.

I don't know about China but I'm talking about my country which is Singapore. πŸ˜‚
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    edited April 2020
    @DeKay Can we come ? PLEEEEEASE !!!

Don't worry it should not happen before a long time... no airplane, the airports are closed.
    DeKay Can we come ? PLEEEEEASE !!!

Don't worry it should not happen before a long time... no airplane, the airports are closed.

We not letting anyone come in now anyways. XD
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    Not much of an update here where I live. The local charts that show the positive cases isn't flattening. Its trajectory looks like a rocket launching from Vandenberg AFB. I'm still upset and staying home, but I may order pizza tomorrow after work.

Oh yes, if you're ordering deliveries please tip!
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited April 2020
    @DeKay wrote: Β»
    The countries which had 2 months to prepare are more infected in 3 weeks than China in 3 months.

It's weird cuz the countries that literally had no time to prepare for this is doing much better now.

But like someone said, it's probably cuz a lot of the other countries did not take it seriously at first and didn't know how contagious it could be.

It's also possible China isn't telling the whole truth about the number of cases, it wouldn't be the first time.

Hong Kong is experiencing a second wave of cases in despite of the good job done so far. It's surprising that China isn't in the same situation.

You mean what I said before, that the numbers may or may not be accurate? πŸ€” A second wave is simply not unlikely as soon as you relax your extremely strict measures. Virologists assume that we may see a process of tightening and relaxing social distancing measures for months or even more than a year until this is over, because as soon as you relax your measures, the virus has a chance to spread again. That has nothing to do with how well you do your job, it's how viruses work. This is actually a really good article on the subject (specifically, in regards to what you wrote: part II The Endgame): https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/how-will-coronavirus-end/608719/

"Even a perfect response won’t end the pandemic. As long as the virus persists somewhere, there’s a chance that one infected traveler will reignite fresh sparks in countries that have already extinguished their fires. This is already happening in China, Singapore, and other Asian countries that briefly seemed to have the virus under control. Under these conditions, there are three possible endgames: one that’s very unlikely, one that’s very dangerous, and one that’s very long."

It's a really good read - the whole thing :)
    DeKay wrote: Β»

It's also possible China isn't telling the whole truth about the number of cases, it wouldn't be the first time.

Hong Kong is experiencing a second wave of cases in despite of the good job done so far. It's surprising that China isn't in the same situation.

You mean what I said before, that the numbers may or may not be accurate? πŸ€” A second wave is simply not unlikely as soon as you relax your extremely strict measures. Virologists assume that we may see a process of tightening and relaxing social distancing measures for months or even more than a year until this is over, because as soon as you relax your measures, the virus has a chance to spread again. That has nothing to do with how well you do your job, it's how viruses work. This is actually a really good article on the subject (specifically, in regards to what you wrote: part II The Endgame): https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/how-will-coronavirus-end/608719/

"Even a perfect response won’t end the pandemic. As long as the virus persists somewhere, there’s a chance that one infected traveler will reignite fresh sparks in countries that have already extinguished their fires. This is already happening in China, Singapore, and other Asian countries that briefly seemed to have the virus under control. Under these conditions, there are three possible endgames: one that’s very unlikely, one that’s very dangerous, and one that’s very long."

It's a really good read - the whole thing :)

Eventually when we find a cure or vaccine, it won't be such a big deal anymore and it will just end up being like other viruses that we've had before. πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ
    FwDXXd5.gif
    edited April 2020
    @SimTrippy

Now the goal is no longer to avoid the virus, the goal is to help the hospitals manage the number of cases.
    There is a limited number of healthcare workers.
    Too many cases can result in the death of patients who could have survived if there had been room in the hospital.

98ywxl10.jpg
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited April 2020
    @SimTrippy

Now the goal is no longer to avoid the virus, the goal is to help the hospitals manage the number of cases.
    Too many cases can result in the death of patients who could have survived if there had been room in the hospital.

98ywxl10.jpg

That has been the goal since February hasn't it? That's the whole point of the lockdowns xD it's also why we'll have to tighten and loosen social distancing ;)

@DeKay agreed! I just wish my grandmother would stay inside until we get to that point. That lady is way too feisty for her age! I bet she thinks if the war couldn't get her, corona can't either πŸ˜‚
    @SimTrippy

98ywxl10.jpg

That has been the goal since February hasn't it? That's the whole point of the lockdowns xD it's also why we'll have to tighten and loosen social distancing ;)

DeKay agreed! I just wish my grandmother would stay inside until we get to that point. That lady is way too feisty for her age! I bet she thinks if the war couldn't get her, corona can't either πŸ˜‚

LOL, my dad who's like 70+ years old is also going out a lot like it's nothing. πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈ
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    How do you all manage to stay positive? I can distract myself but I can't cheer up.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    How do you all manage to stay positive? I can distract myself but I can't cheer up.

Remember that every beginning has an end, & vice versa. :) You're not alone, everyone in the world is facing this together. We need to stay & keep all the positivity closer because that is the only way that we could protect ourselves from anything, especially the negative thought.

Don't keep everything yourself, share it with your family & close friends. Don't ever sleep with any negative thoughts because, it won't help us to keep moving forward the next day.

How you have been so far? Did you manage to get in touch with your local council?
    OID:- x4m1r4
    edited April 2020

I'm working from home on interesting projects that I didn't have the time to do before. That is enough to make me feel good.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    edited May 2020
    It's more like the usual influenzavirus.

It varies in the symptoms it causes. For me, I'd say it feels more like pneumonia. I've had to sleep propped up the last two nights because I can't breath laying down. I can't do anything more than walk around a little, or I start coughing and can't breath.
    My husband wanted to take me in, despite my objections, but because I haven't had a temperature over 99, they don't want me to come it. I have been told to rest and continue to use his asthma inhaler if it helps. :| (Which I'm doing as little as possible since he might need it).

My sister is sick now too (she lives in a different state, so it has nothing to do with me). She is pregnant and has had a cough and fever for about a week. When she tried to go in, she was turned away and told to use the breathing treatment stuff they have leftover from the last time her son was sick with a respiratory illness.

(Edited for grammar when I was reading back through this thread, because I have nothing better to do atm.)
    Post edited by lisamwitt on
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    edited April 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by PrincipleOfEntropy on
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    Current situation

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Top 10 of the most infected countries (more than 10k cases)
    1. USA (124k) (54k in New York, 11k in New Jersey and 6k in California)
    2. Italy (93k)
    3. China (82k)
    4. Spain (79k)
    5. Germany (59k)
    6. Iran (39k)
    7. France (38k)
    8. UK (20k)
    9. Switzerland (15k)
    10. Netherlands (11k)
    New Jersey has 22k cases of coronavirus now. :(
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    edited April 2020
    https://tiltify.com/@jacksepticeye/hope-from-home-jacksepticeye/donate

Let's Fight Back Against Coronavirus (YouTube announcement by jacksepticeye)

EDIT: Live stream over - $654k raised ($1.5million Globally - last I saw)
    Post edited by 5782341b77vl on
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
    edited April 2020
    On March 29 : USA (124k) (54k in New York, 11k in New Jersey and 6k in California)

On April 5 : USA (310k) (115k in New York, 34k in New Jersey and 14k in California)

+150% in 7 days...

Tourist are STILL being allowed on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina! That's where my older sister and her family live! Why they don't close the island for the sake of the residents?! I don't want my niece and nephew to get sick! There's no need to put the lives of residence in danger just to squeeze out every tourist cents!

Lives Before Dimes!
  • LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    Tourist are STILL being allowed on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina! That's where my older sister and her family live! Why they don't close the island for the sake of the residents?! I don't want my niece and nephew to get sick! There's no need to put the lives of residence in danger just to squeeze out every tourist cents!

Lives Before Dimes!

That's crazy. I know people who've gone to Hilton Head as tourists, and they say a lot of seniors go there for vacation. An outbreak there could go sour really quick. Many communities in my province rely on summer tourists, but the government's banned cruise ships for I believe the next 3ish months.

Tourism is important for many areas, but is it really worth potentially getting so many people sick? (no!)
    edited April 2020
    My grandmother passed away today, she was 92 years old.

She had symptoms on Saturday and moved to the hospital yesterday.
    The virus caused kidney dysfunction and she couldn't breathe on her own.

The retirement home employees failed to protect the residents, several of them are infected now.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

The retirement home employees failed to protect the residents, several of them are infected now.

I am so sorry for your loss. :(

My sympathies to you! Sending you hugs during this tough time, my friend!
    Just found out that two of our currency mints have been shut down!

The San Francisco mint and the West Point mint both have been closed! Unfortunately, San Francisco is going to be shut down permanently! No word on when (or if) West Point will resume production!

Lots of coin collectors are not going to be thrilled about that, since a lot of proof coins came out of San Francisco!

Philadelphia and Denver mints are both still making coins for public circulation, and hopefully they stay that way!