Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Coronavirus: An EA Update

Comments

• Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    @lisamwitt

It depends on the object
    https://theconversation.com/we-know-how-long-coronavirus-survives-on-surfaces-heres-what-it-means-for-handling-money-food-and-more-134671

Somebody who come from outside is also a good transportation for the virus.
    But keep in mind you may also be infected 14 days ago, the symptoms come later.

Please contact a doctor to be sure.

Unless you are seriously struggling to breath, they aren't testing. There aren't enough tests. So they don't even want to see me and would turn me away. The symptoms fit, that's the best answer I'm going to get right now.

But I am following the advice I've been given, stay here, wash my hands. I'm not doing the cooking. I'm keeping my distance from the kids as much as that's possible and cleaning anything I touch.

Resting is proving to be the real challenge for me. There's alway stuff that needs done. I cleaned the kitchen counters and did some dishes this afternoon and it set off a 20 minute coughing fit.

I'm working on a ridiculously large house in Sims to keep my mind occupied.

I'm not sure where you at, but, it would be better to get a test if it's possible. The incubation period is vary from one person to another. It can be as long as 1 month, which is also depending on your immunity level or any underlying diseases too. Most of the cases that fall under ICU treatment are due to their late response in getting earlier treatment. This virus is affecting our lung, mainly our respiratory system, hence, as of now, they're trying to give the treatment with anti-viral or anti-inflamation as soon as possible before it's getting worse. But please, don't do any self-treatment as recently, there's a doctor who was trying to treat himself, but unfortunately, it's not getting any better & he died.

More than anything, I wish you speedy recovery & I really hope it's just a normal fever & flu. :)

OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited May 2020
    xamira99 wrote: »
    I'm not sure where you at, but, it would be better to get a test if it's possible. The incubation period is vary from one person to another. It can be as long as 1 month, which is also depending on your immunity level or any underlying diseases too. Most of the cases that fall under ICU treatment are due to their late response in getting earlier treatment. This virus is affecting our lung, mainly our respiratory system, hence, as of now, they're trying to give the treatment with anti-viral or anti-inflamation as soon as possible before it's getting worse. But please, don't do any self-treatment as recently, there's a doctor who was trying to treat himself, but unfortunately, it's not getting any better & he died.

More than anything, I wish you speedy recovery & I really hope it's just a normal fever & flu. :)

I can't, they are turning people away unless they really can't breath or have a high fever. I'm in Alabama, but it's like this all over the US.

I've used my husband's inhaler a few times (at the advice of a nurse) but other than that, I'm just resting as much as I can make myself.

I was holding out hope it was a chest cold or flu, but I just realized I'd pretty much already given up on that idea, no matter how many times I say it. My husband actually just said the same thing to me this morning. But, like I said, there's nothing we can do at this point. The US was woefully unprepared and doesn't have enough resources in most places to treat any but the most severe cases.

(Edited for accuracy when I was reading back through this thread, because I have nothing better to do atm.)
    Post edited by lisamwitt on
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    It's getting more serious here in the UK, and we're hearing much more about local cases too :( Stay safe, everyone.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I've always wanted to work from home lol. But now that I am, I just want to go out!
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited March 2020
    The countries which had 2 months to prepare are more infected in 3 weeks than China in 3 months.

I guess China is the safest place in the world now (+31 cases in 24 hours)
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    xamira99 wrote: »

I can't, they are turning people away unless they really can't breath. I'm in Alabama, but it's like this all over the US.

I've used my husband's inhaler a few times (at the advice of a nurse) but other than that, I'm just resting as much as I can make myself.

I was holding out hope it was a chest cold or flu, but I just realized I'd pretty much already given up on that idea, no matter how many times I say it. My husband actually just said the same thing to me this morning. But, like I said, there's nothing we can do at this point. The US was woefully unprepared and doesn't have enough resources to treat any but the most severe cases.

I'm so sorry to hear this. TBH, I'm kinda worried too. I personally feel that, it's much better if they could also give out any medical support earlier on, rather than later. However, we could possibly look into a different perspective too, where it's much safer to stay at home than the hospitals or clinics.

I hope that you could remain & continue to be positive. My thoughts & prayer are with you & your family. More than anything, I sincerely hope that it's just a common flu/cold.
    Post edited by x4m1r4 on
  • Options
    It's getting more serious here in the UK, and we're hearing much more about local cases too :( Stay safe, everyone.

Stay safe to you too. I've been following the statistics of the coronavirus update since the last 2 weeks & at some points, I felt so helpless because, as of now, the only thing that I can do is to stay at home. They're predicted that the numbers of the positive cases are going to keep on increasing. What is more worrying is the number of test kits are very limited hence, they need to prioritise who will get to be tested first & this process is taking some time too. In which, that's the reason why we see the numbers are increasing rapidly at some day. What is worse, the incubation period is vary from one person to another, where it can produce a negative result after the first test, but positive after the second test.
  • Options
    The countries which had 2 months to prepare are more infected in 3 weeks than China in 3 months.

I would say that, earlier on, no one is taking it seriously. Some countries were busy with politics, sports, etc. Besides, a lot of things happened in between (like travel, gathering, events, etc) where people starts to get infected & the virus stayed incubated until its affect the lung & the respiratory system overall & later one infected those around them, slowly. TBH, no countries were prepared even though they knew that it's coming since most of them have reported cases as early as in January. IF only the rest of the countries started to have a travel ban or border control earlier on or if the WHO has declared it as a pandemic as soon as possible, none of this would ever happened. But, for now, the only thing that we could do & help is to stay at home, aware of the social distance & be more hygienic.
  • Options
    GurlSimmer62GurlSimmer62 Posts: 4 New Member
    Omg, so scary guys! I hope everybody stays safe and healthy. Its okay to be scared and nervous, everyone is while this virus is spreading. We are all united as one as we join together to fight against this virus. I recommend you make a sign saying: "The Sims Sent Me Here!" Maybe perform an instrument or put paper airplanes in people's mailboxes saying supportive things. If we all do something to help, this virus will not take over, we will...
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member

China only has 31 cases in 24 hours because they're already well past the peak of their outbreak - they had much higher numbers in January when they really started talking about this -, their numbers may/may not be 100% accurate (let's not forget how they started out dealing with this crisis), and you have to take other factors into account. Italy locked down affected regions hours after the first detected case. Maybe not completely, and yes only regionally, but a) they have little to no experience with viruses like this, b) having no experience they didn't know it would or could overwhelm their healthcare system the way it did, and c) EU countries aren't as trained as the Chinese in obedience, so issuing massive lockdowns the moment a virus rears its head is just uncharacteristic and very hard to pull off. Let's not judge countries for "acting too slowly" by comparing them to China's current disease numbers - 4 months after their outbreak started and with lockdowns the likes of which I'd love to see anyone effortlessly force onto most EU countries.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    @SimTrippy

Italy : 12k deaths (+812 in 24 hours)
    Spain: 8k deaths (+537)
    China : 3k deaths (+4)

The price is already very high after only 3 weeks, it will be worse the next months.
    I blame nobody but the reality is sad.

I'm very sad for their families.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    @SimTrippy

Italy : 12k deaths (+812 in 24 hours)
    Spain: 8k deaths (+537)
    China : 3k deaths (+4)

The price is already very high after only 3 weeks, it will be worse the next months.
    I blame nobody but the reality is sad.

I'm very sad for their families.

It hasn't just been 3 weeks in Italy. It's been over a month. In China it's been 4 months. You simply cannot compare the numbers you shared without taking that into account.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Just take care of you and your loved ones, only that matters now.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Yes we all know that it's exceptionally bad in Italy, just like it's worse in Spain and France than it is (and likely will continue to be) in Germany and Norway. But that doesn't make "China the safest place to be" right now, that's BS. You cannot draw any meaningful conclusions from such limited data sets as "how many people died in the last 24 hours". You cannot ignore differences between countries, socio-economic backgrounds, and the individual strengths and weaknesses of national healthcare systems. You cannot ignore how long the virus has been there. Or how often countries have had to deal with situations like these.

Yes, China immediately issued a massive lockdown and that was successful, but that simply wouldn't have worked in most western countries - at least not right away. Some countries are still shying away from even using the word "lockdown"... And don't forget that most of the similar viruses we have seen / heard about in the EU in the past few years (like SARS) never really travelled as well and effectively as covid did because they were far more virulent, making them easier to spot and contain. Or that the virus has quite likely been roaming around Italy far longer than they were even aware of. Or that, again, China has a great deal more experience with these types of viruses AND a larger capacity to deal with them. Just like South Korea has way more experience with these types of viruses and instead of Chinese lockdowns, uses large-scale testing and advanced surveillance techniques, to terrifying effect. Or that Norway and Germany have some of the best healthcare systems in the world. Or that Belgium has far more ICU beds with ventilators per 1000 inhabitants than Italy did. Or that other EU countries had the "benefit" of seeing Italy crumble under the pressure - which still made some of them very slow to respond, like the Netherlands and the UK because our economies were not built for this and people like to forget that those who enacted the strictest rules actually had the best economic growth after the Spanish flu.

In short: stop comparing raw numbers like this and think they're telling you anything meaningful. These situations are far more complex than one variable alone could ever suggest.
  • Options
    Just take care of you and your loved ones, only that matters now.

Agreed. But what's happening in Italy is horrible. Blaming anyone for not acting fast enough won't help right now. And it's rarely that simple.

But I agree: stay safe!
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,598 Member

It's weird cuz the countries that literally had no time to prepare for this is doing much better now.

But like someone said, it's probably cuz a lot of the other countries did not take it seriously at first and didn't know how contagious it could be.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    Taking part in a mass video thingie with my family across Canada, the U.S. and China tonight. Should be interesting.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Tinkerbelle2Tinkerbelle2 Posts: 29 Member
    Hey everyone! It is such a weird time. I can’t actually work from home in my job, I work in a psychiatric hospital but because I’m pregnant I’ve been advised to self-isolate for 12 weeks!
  • Options
    noisygirlkknoisygirlkk Posts: 5 New Member
    Yeah that's really a nice thing to do during this pandemic. Good work EA!!!
  • Options
    mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    Parents how are you helping your kids to cope with the Lockdown? I gave my daughter her own personal space, we set up the family tent and big gazebo with her hammock so she can relax outside and not worry about me listening to her chatting away with friends on facetime and of course she is also doing her online homework first. She is loving it, not stressed at all <3 My son is older and all ready has his sleep out, but what we did for him is purchased him a wifi modem and a chrome cast that runs off our wifi so he has wifi in his room. He is in contact with his girlfriend and plays online games with his friends. He did work the first two days but now is home with us, only my husband working now. Be strong everyone <3

DQRioNz.jpg
  • Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    edited March 2020
    Been doing some social distancing -

Just watched some episodes of "Happy Tree Friends" and I'm questioning the choices of my decision...

On one hand, it's a cartoon, and it's adorable animation.
    On the other hand, ... I'm not sure :/ I might go lay down for a bit

Anybody that knows about it, will understand.
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Options
    Been doing some social distancing -

Just watched some episodes of "Happy Tree Friends" and I'm questioning the choices of my decision...

On one hand, it's a cartoon, and it's adorable animation.
    On the other hand, ... I'm not sure :/ I might go lay down for a bit

Anybody that knows about it, will understand.

I love it! I still remember that I had a ringtones with their theme! :D
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    @mcrudd oh wow, that's a great idea! Wish I could do that for my kid, but it's still a tad too cold here for her to be hanging out in the garden :(

Instead, she has her space in the kitchen and I'm supervising (read: regularly checking in) on her school work in the mornings, then doing reviews of her arts and crafts. And mostly getting her out for regular walks since air is good and cabin fever is not so much.

@5782341b77vl oh dear. Yeah, that's maybe not the best choice lol

On the other hand, can't really judge since my current marathon is Criminal Minds.

I'm pretty proud of the fact that besides the cat who's been restless from about 3 days into school closure, we're only just hitting cabin fever stage. It's only me and kiddo in the house so while we're not tripping over each other a lot, it's still... interesting.
    The main concern for me right now is that I can't shop online (no available delivery slots) so I'm hoping that when I do go on a grocery run, there are actually going to be groceries in the stores.
    Oh and our broken fridge is a bit of a downer, considering we do kinda need it.

Hope everyone is keeping safe <3
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    edited March 2020
    Well, things are getting even more serious here in the UK :(
    Post edited by Mariefoxprice83 on
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    @DeKay wrote: »

It's weird cuz the countries that literally had no time to prepare for this is doing much better now.

But like someone said, it's probably cuz a lot of the other countries did not take it seriously at first and didn't know how contagious it could be.

It's also possible China isn't telling the whole truth about the number of cases, it wouldn't be the first time.

Hong Kong is experiencing a second wave of cases in despite of the good job done so far. It's surprising that China isn't in the same situation.