Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

University too hard/no fun ?

1235...Next

Comments

• PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    And the thing is, I have to make my sims take 4 courses each semester because otherwise, they'll never graduate on normal lifespan. They'll be elders by the time they graduate if they take 2 courses.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I find the system works weirdly depending on the day you start the semester, first semester my sim had 4 classes and she was permanently at classes, like 3 different classes every single day and she ended up failing them all and getting suspended and having no time for anything else.
    Then for the second semester she started on a different day of the week doing 3 classes and for some reason 2/3 of the classes weren't happening until 5 days into the semester so it was a breeze to complete all the homework and projects in time
  • stewbystewby Posts: 79 Member
    I had a sim complete every university course when it first came out and got honours right the way through (3 classes each time).
    My sim was "from birth", full skills right the way through, top in school, etc.

About a month ago, I put another sim to university. This one was even better suited as she had been in scouts and was top there as well.
    I have done everything the same, homework done, final done, attending classes, taking notes or actively listening. Literally, everything the same.
    At the end of the first semester, I was on probation. After the second, I was kicked out.

Has there been an upgrade to make it more difficult?? Not complaining. Just curious
    if something has changed.
    :/
  • simmingmom1simmingmom1 Posts: 323 Member
    I don’t find the game too hard to play, although, the Sims have almost no social life if you want them to get good grades. I think it takes too long to graduate. The sims are almost adults when they leave. Maybe I should turn the aging off while they are in college to prevent this from happening? Nonetheless, it still takes too long for graduation to happen.
  • thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    I have sent 1 sim to college so far, and it was a slog.

I liked living in the dorm but my sim was always late to class, so I moved him to a house off the side. After that he made it to class finally but then his social life was going down the drain because he ended up on probation after his first semester and I wanted to make sure he was OK. Luckily I had aging off because he would have been about to hit adult years by the time he graduated, which was ridiculous to me.

Worst part was his "student loans" were an absolute joke. He went to school for engineering and he paid off his loans with the extra money he made from having a roommate and writing 1 book during his time at college.
  • l0keyrosel0keyrose Posts: 71 Member
    Mine took long too! But it's fun in my opinion!
  • ts3semlts3seml Posts: 440 Member
    I started playing again and my Sim took 4 classes. She wrote papers, studied, did a presentation. No time for any fun and she ended up on probation. Next time, she took 1 class and did all her homework, studied and took her final (no projects) and got suspended. She still little time to hang out or do anything fun. It didn't help that the sims all around her were constantly fighting which upset her. Some NAP that encouraged fighting. It isn't a lot of fun like this.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I only use 3 mods atm and one of them is the one that decreases the number of credits needed to finish a degree. For me, it's unthinkable to have my sims spend more than a week in uni. A week in sim's lifes represent the right amount of years in rl imo. Plus it's plain boring to play more than that in uni imo.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Belinda Gregory, a sim I raised from birth, graduated from UBrite with a degree in Fine Art. She is going into the stylist career like her father Adam. It was the first time as a rotational player that I moved a sim on campus and stayed with them for more than a week (four to be precise). Although I never experienced the university life myself, it was a blast. Roommates, keg parties, relations coming to visit, homework, term papers, organisations, so fun! She even found a potential spouse in her roommate's friend whom she met when said roommate threw a party.

Some tips :

• Sending a sim you raised from birth will make it a doddle as they should have skills and enough reward points to buy necessary traits like seldom sleepy and carefree.
    • If at UBrite, buy a bicycle, if only to crank up the fun need by riding around.
    • Have dinner at the commons. It’s free and more nutritious.
    • Don’t rush the experience otherwise it’s just a relentless grind of work. Next time I’ll go for 6 weeks so my sim can spend more time doing other things. And more time means the academic aspiration will be easily achievable.
    • Don’t befriend students from the rival university as you’ll just taunt each other. One turned up at my keg party dressed as the lobster and caused chaos!
    • Have no issues getting to class on time by having your sim in the library at least 2 hours before class starting time. They’ll dash out of the library straight into a loading screen. And when loading finishes they'll be in class.
    • I spent spare time tutoring and playing piano in a bar. Earned a total of $3000.
  • SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited August 2020
    I love Uni. I am trying to send different sims to do different things. Sometimes they live on campus, sometimes they live at home. In all cases, my sims received a Degree of Distinction with Honors, they made friends, debated, did keg stands. Its actually very fun. I like the pre-made sims in the dorms too, very interesting mix of characters.

Suggestion for those feeling like their sims is just working all the time.

If possible, make sure your sims skills are up to level 7 at least in the areas they will need to be strong in. In other words, if you sim is getting a Marketing degree, have them be level 7 in Charisma, Logic and Writing before they attend university. If you go here, you can see what skills should be leveled for which degree: https://carls-sims-4-guide.com/expansionpacks/discoveruniversity/
    Purchase the "Savant" aspiration reward if possible. Its 4000 points. It increases they rate at which they learn things;
    Make sure your lot traits includes "Study Spot" and "Science lair," depending on the degree they are getting . "Convivial" helps with social interactions;
    Enroll on a Wednesday. You will have classes Thursday and Friday then you can take time on the weekend to do your presentation and term papers and still have time for fun.
    For the best College experience outside of learning, take 1 or 2 classes.
    Always show up on time. Its actually better to show up with homework 25% done but on time then to show up late.
    Select Actively Listen for the first half of you class by clicking on the icon on your sim's panel, this will build skill and improve grade. Select take notes for the second half which will improve grade. By default, work normally is chosen.

With a little planning you can have fun with that pack. So far, its got the best diversity when it comes to the pre-made sims in my opinion.
    Post edited by SimsLady2000 on
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,548 Member
    ts3seml wrote: »
    I started playing again and my Sim took 4 classes. She wrote papers, studied, did a presentation. No time for any fun and she ended up on probation. Next time, she took 1 class and did all her homework, studied and took her final (no projects) and got suspended. She still little time to hang out or do anything fun. It didn't help that the sims all around her were constantly fighting which upset her. Some NAP that encouraged fighting. It isn't a lot of fun like this.
    Wow, how can you take just one class and have no spare time? My mind boggles!

My current sim is on her final week of taking 4 classes. She is at Foxbury studying language and literature to become an attorney.

She spent the first week at Maritime Manor in Britechester and got an A+in all four classes, the next week she moved to Darkwing House for a change and got an A- overall (I think 3 were A+ but one was a C as I forgot to get her to do her presentation lol), now she has gone to do her final week whilst living with her boyfriend in Windenburg.

She got all her homework, presentation and term paper done between Wed and Fri (as well as being on time for classes) and so spent the weekend getting engaged to her boyfriend at the romance festival, doing yoga and having fun with friends.