May 29 - It's Friday. What does that mean on The Sims forums? Time to highlight some awesim discussions!

Lifestyles that The Sims 4 do NOT support that you wish it could.

GrynnGrynn Posts: 231 Member
The Sims loves to present itself as allowing diversity, and to some extent it is true, but at the the same time I feel like the game focus so much on a certain young demographic that certain people are ignored completely, so if you agree with me and also feel that way, please use this topic to mention what you wish was changed to allow you to play with your Sims the way that YOU want.

I'll start:
It's completely impossible to not have a cellphone, the Sims are always connected, always receiving random texts, invitations, they constantly play on their phones autonomously.

Why is it a problem?
Let me start by saying that I do not own a phone myself currently, my phone broke last year and I haven't bought a new one ever since, why? I don't miss it, all the anxiety of constantly checking social medias, nah, I'd rather be alone, disconnected.

Maybe I want a Sim that likes to be disconnected, a hippie that always seek to be completely in touch with nature and avoids technological stuff because of that, or maybe I want to create a story about a stressed office worker that had enough and takes a sabbatical year to get in touch with himself, maybe I want to play with a Sim so poor he can't even own a smartphone.

None of that is possible unless I purposely ignore all the texts constantly jumping on my screen and PRETEND my Sim doesn't have one, which is hard to do sometimes because they make your Sim gain relationship or reputation, not to mention if I leave the Sim be for one sec he'll play on his phone completely breaking the immersion.

The Sims 3 had a trait called Technophobe that kinda of helped if you wanted to tell stories like this, I wish it could return so I could finally create a family inspired by the movie Captain Fantastic by instance!

Comments

• SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 2,872 Member
    There is a frugal rewards trait in SIms 4, but it's more about getting discounts unfortunately.

I do agree though. I'd love these things too
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 6,900 Member
    I totally agree that the game is too focused upon modern technology. I love playing historical themes from time to time and it's a lot more difficult than in previous games.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 1,514 Member
    It would be nice to have a turn off options for cellphones & sexual preferences. Also, a turn on options to live in the past or turn every objects into off-the-grid.
    I want my sims to only be hetro-straight & proud of it or asexually(neither) & proud of it.
    Gender preferences in CAS or becoming a teen would be perfect, but I'd want it to have the choice between heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, pansexual and asexual.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,687 Member
    I'd definitely like to set gender preferences in CAS. I mean, we can give our sims masculine and feminine body types, so being able to set whether our sims are heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, or asexual would be nice. The closest we currently have to any kind of choice in terms of our sims' romantic preferences is the Unflirty trait, which is (like most TS4 traits, kind of weak).
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited March 10
    I mean phones arent all about social media. Its usually necessary for work and convenient for emergencies.

Id like to see differently abled and religion represented.

Betrothed sims are swayed by flirts by random people at random times. I want my sims to be faithful by default and are not persuaded by flirts unless they have a very high relationship with the opposite sex and after MANY flirty attempts. Sims with a flirty trait who are romanced by anyone are fine but because they have the trait.

Also setting a sexual preference and attractions so my sim will only be attracted to a certain sex and not attracted to everyone
    300?cb=20190521091751

Sims 5. Please be great.

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 3,710 Member
    This is a great thread!

I am completely on board with the folks who want more low-tech options and truly diverse personalities.

One of the things I really feel the absence of, if we're talking about representation, is low-income living. It's really strange to me that lower class lifestyles in game mechanics are avoided as if they're something to only whisper about behind the hand. Why can't we have ghetto neighborhoods in the suburbs or play young, single mothers on an income assistance program in order to take care of their children? There's a certain classism to the Sims games where all Sims are assumed to be middle or higher income households and development caters an awful lot to luxury lifestyles and getting richer. Getting the Flea Market and rundown apartments in City Living was a start, but the only real shabby clothes we get in CAS are actually in fashion. We don't get faded, threadbare outfits with holes and stains, unwashed or tangled hair, dirt spots or missing teeth. We don't get furniture that breaks or couches with rips in them, or bare mattresses with a single blanket and stained pillow. It's as if the poor are anathema. I would love to be able to play a struggling family on housing assistance who live in a shabby, dirty, littered neighborhood surrounded by tall brick buildings with old, rusted fire escapes, where people sleep in the alleys below and kids play in dumpsters. They wouldn't have a mobile phone, or a computer, or any high tech, yet they wouldn't be off the grid either. I'd like to have the challenge of trying to keep the kids cared for and educated while struggling with money to put food on the table. No automatic child care services or cushy game mechanics that allow you to just leave the lot and have your kids cared for in your absence. Getting one of the children to be able to get good grades and grow up smart enough to get into Uni and graduate and get a decent paying job would feel like a real accomplishment. I'd like to see the gameplay be flexible enough to accomodate this kind of life.
  • DeafSimmerDeafSimmer Posts: 1,965 Member
    edited March 10
    Good thread. And I agree with the comments about the traits. Earlier in the game, I was creating a new sim for my current save. She's supposed to be timid and fearful in the storyline, yet the game doesn't have the fear emotion or the coward trait. If this iteration was so focused on emotions, why didn't it include that emotion in the first place? It's the reason I use specific poses for scenes in which a character is afraid of something/someone.

Also, regarding cellphones, we need the technophobe trait back.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 1,154 Member
    I totally agree with the above. I'm dying for a ghetto or apocalyptic destroyed looking world. I download some awesome ghetto lots from the gallery but the problem is the suburban backgrounds. I just don't know why this sims don't seem to want to break out of this pleasantville mold. Like why? What's holding them back? I was playing a rich celebrity for a while but that of course got boring.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • butterfly27255butterfly27255 Posts: 52 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    This is a great thread!

I am completely on board with the folks who want more low-tech options and truly diverse personalities.

One of the things I really feel the absence of, if we're talking about representation, is low-income living. It's really strange to me that lower class lifestyles in game mechanics are avoided as if they're something to only whisper about behind the hand. Why can't we have ghetto neighborhoods in the suburbs or play young, single mothers on an income assistance program in order to take care of their children? There's a certain classism to the Sims games where all Sims are assumed to be middle or higher income households and development caters an awful lot to luxury lifestyles and getting richer. Getting the Flea Market and rundown apartments in City Living was a start, but the only real shabby clothes we get in CAS are actually in fashion. We don't get faded, threadbare outfits with holes and stains, unwashed or tangled hair, dirt spots or missing teeth. We don't get furniture that breaks or couches with rips in them, or bare mattresses with a single blanket and stained pillow. It's as if the poor are anathema. I would love to be able to play a struggling family on housing assistance who live in a shabby, dirty, littered neighborhood surrounded by tall brick buildings with old, rusted fire escapes, where people sleep in the alleys below and kids play in dumpsters. They wouldn't have a mobile phone, or a computer, or any high tech, yet they wouldn't be off the grid either. I'd like to have the challenge of trying to keep the kids cared for and educated while struggling with money to put food on the table. No automatic child care services or cushy game mechanics that allow you to just leave the lot and have your kids cared for in your absence. Getting one of the children to be able to get good grades and grow up smart enough to get into Uni and graduate and get a decent paying job would feel like a real accomplishment. I'd like to see the gameplay be flexible enough to accomodate this kind of life.

I agree with LiELF

I wish the sims 4 had the same gameplay as the sims2. In the Sims2 you could not leave your house if you had a child or toddler. Toddlers could interact with one another and the family bond was very real. if EA implemented the game play of sims 2 into sims4 the game would be perfect. I still play sims2 when I get board of the other sims3 or 4, because when your sims are angry at each other they are really angry thus knocking your trash can down or putting a bag of poop in front of your door. It also took a long time to make them friends again making it a challenge. Miss when you went on a date and it was a success your date will come at night and leave the sims a bouquet of roses. (I collected a few of these). and if the date went wrong then another bag of poop was planted at your door lol. So yes I wish we had the sims2 game play on the sims 4.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 3,798 Member
    I'm strongly against gender preferences in CAS. My Sims have always be open for everything and that is good so. There should be no option to turn LGBT off.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 879 Member
    I'm strongly against gender preferences in CAS. My Sims have always be open for everything and that is good so. There should be no option to turn LGBT off.

But that isn't being diverse, is it?

• AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 817 Member
    edited March 11

In the Sims, you have (or should have) the ability to control most if not all aspects of your world as the player, the customer sees fit. Encouraging the developers to restrict that control to push a lifestyle onto another player's world does not achieve that goal. Players who want to have every Sim in the game be gay should have that ability, but the antithesis should be an option as well. You might be strongly against gender preferences, but this goes against what the Sims is supposed to be, considering gender preferences are facets of reality and the Sims is supposed to simulate (ish) said reality. I wish to play as a male Sim who loves women and both my desire to play as a character as well as my Sim's preferences will never change.

Besides, I've read nothing on anyone asking for LGBT lifestyles being removed, so I'm not sure why you've said this. Your idea on a lack of gender preference is impractical, arguably immoral, and extremely unlikely to occur, lest Maxis risks alienating a huge part of their fanbase, which it's clear they're more interested in ensuring nobody is. Which has problems in of itself, but I digress.
    edited March 11

I don't think anyone is asking for LGBT+ preferences to be removed, I think people are asking for additional options to be able to select whatever sexual preference they want with each Sim.

Yes, exactly. It's weird that it's 2020 and we still can't do that. In Sims 2 you could tweak a sim's turn ons to reflect gender preferences to some extent, for example, a sim who was turned on by facial hair would only be attracted to male sims, and a sim attracted to make up was most likely going to be attracted to female sims. But Sims 3 and 4 haven't had anything like that.

If we get a gender preference option they could set bisexual as the default and the player changes it if they want to. That would hopefully suit all tastes. Sure, some people would play only straight sims or only gay, or only asexual, but that should be their choice. Having the option to set preferences would give all us more freedom of choice to play the way we want to. EA are always quick to tell us that we can play how we want to, after all, and as it stands, we can't necessarily do that in terms of gender preference.

I also agree that there should be a better way to guarantee fidelity in married sims, certainly in played households.

• PotsaePotsae Posts: 8 New Member
    I agree with a lot in this thread - I so want to have an ability to play with less techonology, sims not being so materialistic, serious sims (I hate S4 smiles lol). On top of it I really want to have sims who are true loners and shy sims, sims who are bad at getting friends. Also sims who actually care about their family would be lovely. One more thing I'd like is having poor, hard-working sims. Not every work is high paid. Also harder skills - not everyone who cooks for themselves is chef.
    My current Sims 2 save have sims who use sun and wind energy, grow their food and don't work, sort of commune inspired. Theirs interest in nature is high enough - they don't need PCs to keep fun meter up. That one more: sims having fun doing what they love, not just what everyone else does (tv, pc, easel, chess). It alone would allow much more diversity in sims lifestyles I think.
    I never had problems with making sims in 2 and 3 with different sexualities without any slider for it - if my woman dates only women - she only shows interest in women - I prefer this version over settings in CAS. Getting things through actual gameplay is always more fun for me than just picking them. I'm not sure about S4 because I've never felt like anyone cares about anyone there.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 1,829 Member

I don't think anyone is asking for LGBT+ preferences to be removed, I think people are asking for additional options to be able to select whatever sexual preference they want with each Sim. The default could still be like it is in Sims 4, where anything goes, but to have a selector in CAS where someone could choose specific Sims to be only straight, only gay, asexual, etc. would actually add diversity to the game and also allow the player to decide what kind of world they want their Sims in. One of my gay friends plays Sims 4 and we've shared screenshots here and there and I'm pretty sure that he'd prefer to have a predominantly gay world. I think he should be able to have it. Just as I also support the player who wants to play only with nuclear traditional families and wants a predominantly hetero world. It's their game, they should have the choice to play it as they like.

Yes, exactly it's their game.They can so whatever they want.Its nobody business.
  • VicariousHumanVicariousHuman Posts: 19 Member
    @ListentoToppDogg
    You mentioned garbage collectors as a job, but they don't even have decorative dumpsters for businesses & restaurants. I want dumpsters SOOOOO bad. I'd never imagined craving dumpsters in later versions of the sims.
    Do you see what the franchise is doing to me? To US?!
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,067 Member
    @VicariousHuman I hadn't even noticed we didn't have dumpsters. Wow, that's so odd. :/
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 18,361 Member
    Yeah sadly the Sims 4 mainly supports the more privileged "American Dream" and doesn't do well at well being a life simulator anymore. It is like a peppy and preppy cheerleader girl game and nothing besides that. I'm not a cheerleader and honestly the Sims 4 CAS is as difficult as the Sims 1 with making a Self-Sim that matches my skin tone, my freckles, my birth marks, my eye color, my natural and unnatural hair colors and body type. It is really challenging making my home with lack of colors and build tools. It is impossible to make my family with lack of realistic life stages. Like since when do adults only having full color or too much grey? Sadly Sims 4 only represents the young adult female life style and nothing beyond that. Even with the gender update, the clothing needs a lot of adjustments which continue to get ignored. Just the detail of the clothing is really bad and often clips badly with combining the packs together. The routing still has issues, the simulation lag, and memory leaks continue. There really isn't a lot of lifestyles that are represented beyond just one Sim with game play that isn't rich, Americanized, modern, monochrome, lighter skinned focused CAS parts and colors.
    "The Sneetches got really quite smart on that day. The day they decided that Sneetches are Sneetches. And no kind of Sneetch is the best on the beaches. That day, all the Sneetches forgot about stars and whether they had one, or not, upon thars." -Dr. Seuss

Everyone is a Simmer.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,574 Member
    What is so wrong with sims having cell phones and being materialistic it makes for funny story telling.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641