Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A way to buy wool on stores without the smartphone

@poltergeist shared this picture on another discussion, and it got me thinking... One of the things that annoy me the most in SIms 4 is that there's no gameplay to acquire resources. Want a book? Smarphone. Want a seed? Smartphone. Want upgrade parts? Smartphone. Want a medicine? Smartphone... I mean... Yes, indeed we can buy anything in amazon this days, but thats not where we buy most of our stuff. If there's a bookstore next to me, I'll pay a visit. If there's a drugstore near me, I'll buy my medicine there.
Anyway, I was looking at those 3 objects that were not added to the voting, but are quite interesting, and I'm wishing that they got added to the game with a functionality to allow us to pick our own wool color, quality, etc... and buy. And, no, we don't need Get To Work. Just adding them to a community lot would enable you to buy, but if you had Get To Work you could not only sell your crafted/knitted stuff, but you would also be allowed to seel wool... and maybe if sheeps get added in a farming EP, we could also produce our own wool and the better we take care of our sheep, the better the quality of the wool and more money we got. Other animals like rabbits and llamas could produce wool (I know that even cats and dogs fur can be used as wool material).
Here are the objects:
2IDHPoG.png

Comments

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    It's too difficult to implement. It wouldn't make sense to place an object on a lot where people can just buy the item without Get To Work. There needs to be an npc to take care of the "store lot". And doing that will also cause a backlash for people who bought GTW for the retail aspect.

The only other way they can do it is to make a special lot or lot type to sell yarn/wool but I think that might be too much for an SP and for Sims to only by wool and yarn. Maybe if this was a GP and had other arts and crafts activities, it will make more sense.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    @DeKay they could make that the Get To Work cross-pack feature. The objects would appear as decorative, but if you had GTW then it would be functional.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I think it would be a great addition!!! I want this! If I recall correctly, we actually had such a feature for buying seeds in TS1. If it was possible in TS1, it should be piece of cake in TS4.

All it needs is a pie menu tied to those few chosen objects, and delivery could still be to the sim's inventory. Pretty much like the bookcase, if placed on a community lot. Hm... can a sim order books from a bookcase away from home? I never tested...
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I mean they could make a kiosk I guess, like in Island Living or University. That way you could shop without having Get To Work installed. Problem is, would they patch them into existing worlds, like they did with food stands after City Living?

As for me though, I definitely prefer shopping online even IRL. I guess I am one of those people killing off book stores...
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I like the idea in theory, but is seems like a lot of work for a SP and personally I'd rather they focus on the act of knitting, instead of where to buy wool.

I know you mentioned not requiring GTW, but since one of the gurus was talking about pack compatibility anyway, they might add features to allow us the buy/sell wool with that pack instead of cramming too much into the knitting pack.
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    Karon wrote: »
    @poltergeist shared this picture on another discussion, and it got me thinking... One of the things that annoy me the most in SIms 4 is that there's no gameplay to acquire resources. Want a book? Smarphone. Want a seed? Smartphone. Want upgrade parts? Smartphone. Want a medicine? Smartphone... I mean... Yes, indeed we can buy anything in amazon this days, but thats not where we buy most of our stuff. If there's a bookstore next to me, I'll pay a visit. If there's a drugstore near me, I'll buy my medicine there.
    Anyway, I was looking at those 3 objects that were not added to the voting, but are quite interesting, and I'm wishing that they got added to the game with a functionality to allow us to pick our own wool color, quality, etc... and buy. And, no, we don't need Get To Work. Just adding them to a community lot would enable you to buy, but if you had Get To Work you could not only sell your crafted/knitted stuff, but you would also be allowed to seel wool... and maybe if sheeps get added in a farming EP, we could also produce our own wool and the better we take care of our sheep, the better the quality of the wool and more money we got. Other animals like rabbits and llamas could produce wool (I know that even cats and dogs fur can be used as wool material).
    Here are the objects:
    2IDHPoG.png

If it was done like a dresser or chest and you picked out what you want, it might work. I too miss going to the grocery store and getting anything I want rather than always having to buy seeds, download a loaded garden, or go out and get it all when I really want to concentrate on the gameplay. To be able to sell it in a store, add it to a store, or buy it on the computer would be neat.