Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Buyable written books by different households

I'd love to be able to buy books in different households, so for example I made a famous author named Tolkien who writes a series of books. Then if I switch households when I go to buy new books his books are also shown and buyable/readable too now.

As it was in the Sims 3.

I mean whats the point/how do you become a famous author if nobody but you can read your books?

Comments

• CaptainElsaCaptainElsa Posts: 226 Member
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    I'd love to be able to buy books in different households, so for example I made a famous author named Tolkien who writes a series of books. Then if I switch households when I go to buy new books his books are also shown and buyable/readable too now.

As it was in the Sims 3.

I mean whats the point/how do you become a famous author if nobody but you can read your books?

Strange that you named him Tolkien. Didn't realize you were a fan. (Teeheehee).

But I have wanted this feature for ages. If anyone knows of a mod.... lemme know!
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I'd also love to see this back. It made the game more real when you were on a rotation to see stuff like that pop up. I always bought my other sim's books too.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • AmandèleAmandèle Posts: 378 Member
    I also wish it were possible...
    But in the meantime maybe you can create a bookstore that sells all of the books your Sims have written?
    Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my first language ^^'
  • SimsprocfunSimsprocfun Posts: 1,499 Member
    How does it change your gameplay? All books have same function to read, there are no difference in original and player created book (which is just cloned from original book). I found it to hard to manage in the Sims 3 when my Sim writes 100 books achivement and they are all listed in the bookstore. It creates lag and make difficulty to find book I really need. In my game (in the Sims 4) I already have difficulty to open purchase dialog from the bookcase. I would say no thanks. Better be optional.
    How does it change your gameplay? All books have same function to read, there are no difference in original and player created book (which is just cloned from original book). I found it to hard to manage in the Sims 3 when my Sim writes 100 books achivement and they are all listed in the bookstore. It creates lag and make difficulty to find book I really need. In my game (in the Sims 4) I already have difficulty to open purchase dialog from the bookcase. I would say no thanks. Better be optional.

They could add a tab for "written" or something like that. They have tabs/drop down menus to sort skill, toddlers etc. so it should be easy enough to add.
  • SimsprocfunSimsprocfun Posts: 1,499 Member
    Camkat wrote: »

They could add a tab for "written" or something like that. They have tabs/drop down menus to sort skill, toddlers etc. so it should be easy enough to add.

That's right, but when I open purchase dialogs it lists all books at once and I have to sort it manually. I mean it doesn't load any random single category, but all categories at once. And I don't think they will change it.
    Camkat wrote: »

That's right, but when I open purchase dialogs it lists all books at once and I have to sort it manually. I mean it doesn't load any random single category, but all categories at once. And I don't think they will change it.

Oh there's no doubt in my mind that they won't change it, even to just add another category (if people want it or not seems to little difference to EA these days). I misread your post a bit too I think. I thought the lag was limited to TS3. I didn't realize you had some with TS4. In my personal experience TS3 is a laggy mess (with a game load time of 15-20 minutes) yet I've had zero issues on the same PC with TS4 (no lag and load times are literally 10 seconds or less). However, that's not the same for everyone I realize. I immediately assumed the issues were all with TS3 because that's my experience and I'm sorry for that.

I'd still like this back in the game though, but your right, there's also no reason this just couldn't be an option.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Just make a bookstore that sells the written books. That's what I did.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    I wish we had that feature too. I mean, sure, when I have a sim writing for a living, they're cranking out at least one book a day to build up and maintain those sweet royalties (I can make about $4,000-$5,000 a day in royalties as long as I have enough books in print), but I'd like to be able to have a copy of every book my sim has ever written on their bookshelf, and have other played sims be able to buy those books and random townies at the library or a cafe reading one of those books. It's more immersive that way...especially with a sim who cranks out books like an indie schlock romance writer on quadruple-caff coffee...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,019 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »
    Just make a bookstore that sells the written books. That's what I did.
    I would, but I don't have enough room for it. Lots are limited, and I already had to use most of them to supplement other areas the game is lacking in.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • akaniki0akaniki0 Posts: 470 Member
    I had my writer make a few copies with the copypasto spell and give the to other sims as a gift. They then have the book in their inventory and will automatically read them without me having to play their household.
  • TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member

Um WHAT?!

The very mechanic of one sim writing a book and another sim READING that finished book - is game play in itself. Creating something, then sharing it with other sims. This game at its core is a life simulator and the point here is the simulation of writing a book, becoming famous and having other sims buy and read that book.

This game is a life simulator after all.

However your comment about achievements is pretty telling that you play The Sims more as a game then a life simulator, so I can understand why you dont care about this and thats fine. There is no reason then for you to care since you'll never use this function but clearly a lot of us would.

I DO agree they could add a search bar for book titles and maybe a tab for sim written books.
  • AmtramAmtram Posts: 11 New Member
    I would love to even be able to access a list of all my Sim authors' book titles, as I try very hard to come up with creative titles that make me laugh, and give me another chuckle when they're notified of their royalties. It would be even more amazing if other sims could read their children Isabella Castillo's classics like "Goopy the Hagfish," "Mrs. Spoonworm's Tiny Husband," and "Botfly, Botfly, How Do You Do?"