The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I would love a The Sims 2 remaster!

mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
Now I know that The Sims series are still going, but hear me out - Halo got a Masterchief collection on PC. Age of Empires 2 got a definitive edition from Microsoft. So how about EA resells one of my favourite games back at me?

I wouldn't expect there to be more objects, or more gameplay, or updated mechanics. I wouldn't expect them to turn it into an open world, or even a neighbourhood world, like it is in The Sims 4, but I think just a compatibility update and a graphical update could do a lot.

The Sims 2 is currently quite fiddly to run on a modern system. Normally you need to go and cheat the lowest settings up in the files, because the game scans your PC, doesn't recognize your GPU (because it didn't exist yet in 2004) and decides that you're running something too low to recognize. For compatibility, if EA would ever do such a thing (probably this is unlikely), I would like the game to run 1080p out of the box with support for modern GPUs. I can currently raise the resolution to 1080p manually, so I don't think that this should be an issue for EA to do. Also there's a light glitch with modern systems that turn shadows into black squares on the highest graphics, that could be fixed.

For graphical enhancements, texture overhaul might be nice. Especially hairs, as they became quite... Blocky looking over time. At the end of its lifespan The Sims 2 added the graphical option of you being able to see the closest lots to your house while in your house, but these lots are very blocky looking. We surely have the computing power in 2020, to display said lots as is.

With how popular the free The Sims 2 codes were, I am sure that there's quite a bit of money to be made on EA's side if they just sold the game again. So why not a remastered version?

Comments

• fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I agree. I don't have trouble changing the resolution, but it only affects the active lot the sims are on and not the background. That would be nice!

The thing I struggle with is the file to add memory from 2048 to 4096. I completely borked my game last night and had to completely uninstall is and reinstall and worry about the memory increase another day. I wish it was as simple as changing the numbers in the file like the resolution and have it stick.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I really think we'd all benefit from a TS2 remaster / overhaul , but to be honest, I don't see it happening. TS2 is a brilliant game, and often held up as the pinnacle of the Sims series, as well it should be, but to delve into being all "conspiracy theorist" - I don't see EA remastering or even re-selling this game again, because I believe it would be detrimental to the sales of their current hideous offering.
    Why would one play that horrendous game, if they had a nice brand spanking new remastered version of TS2?

On a more probably serious note, it is more than likely that they don't want to devote the time, resources or dev team to a remastered version of an old game that they wouldn't be able to monetise through micro-transactions.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    I really think we'd all benefit from a TS2 remaster / overhaul , but to be honest, I don't see it happening. TS2 is a brilliant game, and often held up as the pinnacle of the Sims series, as well it should be, but to delve into being all "conspiracy theorist" - I don't see EA remastering or even re-selling this game again, because I believe it would be detrimental to the sales of their current hideous offering.
    Why would one play that horrendous game, if they had a nice brand spanking new remastered version of TS2?

On a more probably serious note, it is more than likely that they don't want to devote the time, resources or dev team to a remastered version of an old game that they wouldn't be able to monetise through micro-transactions.

I honestly wish that EA was like Microsoft, because Microsoft seems to understand the benefit of spending a little bit of time to polish up the old games to sell them again, instead of writing them off as old and moving on to new ones only.

I mean, I would love an easy to run The Sims 1 remaster too, ya know, just working out of the box and without the fiddly bits. But EA's like dead set on not making remasters so it seems.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I would throw my money at them on day one if they ever did this.

I would do it for TS1 one too if they also re-released that one remastered, however, TS2 is definitely my favourite and I'd love to have it back and working so I don't have to mess around to get it to run and look decent.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I would like a sims 2 remaster sometimes.

But I wouldn’t want it tied to origin which it would be. And after the servers decided to not allow me access to the sims 2 today, I don’t want to dependent on that to play a offline game.

My sims 1 and sims 3 run off disc. Sadly my sims 2 won’t run off disc.

That being said while my sims 2 runs fine on our PC’s I don’t think EA will re master it for the simple reason it would compete with the sims 4.
  • silveRose82_silveRose82_ Posts: 281 Member
    I completely agree that a remaster would be awesome. With as often as it appears they still get asked about getting the Ultimate Collection I've gotta wonder if there is a reason they haven't brought it back for purchase? It would be amazing to have it running smoothly without quite so much effort again, but I'll just be happy I have it and can keep it running for now.