Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Knitting? What the...

Comments

• BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited March 2020
    windweaver wrote: »
    Are you kidding me? How exciting will it be to watch my Sim sit in a chair or maybe, more excitingly, a sofa and manipulate two sticks to create a scarf, sweater, or hat!?! OMG how exciting! It simply takes my breath away. I can't imagine how marvelous it will be when that pack comes out. I bet it beats all sales of previous packs to date.

You all realize I'm being snarky?

I know, from the people who previously chose laundry! I play a very different game...

I am curious how this will be implemented. I mean there is no scenario I can see where the actual act of knitting won't be fast forwarded thru, just like cooking, painting, wood-working, programming, writing...

edit: Yeah... I seem to be stuck in the middle between the "Everything Must Be Supernatural and as unrealistic as possible" crowd and the "I need more boring chores" crowd. Neither packs appeal to me, and the ones I DO like nobody on the forums seems to like.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • secretlondon123secretlondon123 Posts: 181 Member
    Are you kidding me? How exciting will it be to watch my Sim sit in a chair or maybe, more excitingly, a sofa and manipulate two sticks to create a scarf, sweater, or hat!?! OMG how exciting! It simply takes my breath away. I can't imagine how marvelous it will be when that pack comes out. I bet it beats all sales of previous packs to date.

I know, from the people who previously chose laundry! I play a very different game...

I am curious how this will be implemented. I mean there is no scenario I can see where the actual act of knitting won't be fast forwarded thru, just like cooking, painting, wood-working, programming, writing...

edit: Yeah... I seem to be stuck in the middle between the "Everything Must Be Supernatural and as unrealistic as possible" crowd and the "I need more boring shores" crowd. Neither packs appeal to me, and the ones I DO like nobody on the forums seems to like.

The plan is for it to take a while, longer than painting. https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/973106/knitting-gameplay-questions-for-the-community/p1

edit: Yeah... I seem to be stuck in the middle between the "Everything Must Be Supernatural and as unrealistic as possible" crowd and the "I need more boring shores" crowd. Neither packs appeal to me, and the ones I DO like nobody on the forums seems to like.

The plan is for it to take a while, longer than painting. https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/973106/knitting-gameplay-questions-for-the-community/p1

So more like robotics then? takes a couple of days to build something worthwhile?
    Also, fake difficulty or real (I mean with robotics you could build anything in an afternoon if you weren't dumb enough to leave the power connected. That is the only reason you keep getting electrocuted, to artificially drag out the process). I really hope you won't have to take a break because you keep stabbing your eyes with the sticks or something... :D

Anyway, I fast forward thru robotics too. All these tasks are mindnumbingly boring to watch, after all.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I would want knitting as a hobby and ways for sims to be creative. I'm not completely sold on this yet. Some things are really not my taste but it seems like there will be some elements that I will like.

I do want the actual knitting though. I wouldn't just sit there watching one sim knit all the time. It would be something that one could do that I might watch for a bit and then come back to, then I'd enjoy having different results. I hope there would be interactions between family members during the knitting such as cats and toddlers playing with yarn. I mean, it's not necessary but what actually is?

I'm generally on board with having more hobbies for various sims. I'm also fine with some of those being ways of keeping a sim occupied while I focus more on others. It's one reason that I wanted the lounge chairs that we got. Unless you turn off all autonomy, they aren't going to just stay seated without something to do. I guess I'd rather have them knitting than running off for glasses of water or trolling teh forums.

To be clear, I actually want hobbies for sims not to just avoid switching autonomy off, but when playing a bunch of sims, I'd rather that ones I'm not focusing on are occupying themselves in some way. While I'd prefer more arts and crafts, I have some interest in this.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    I’m not suuuuuuper hot on a knitting pack, but I am glad they are adding more hobbies! Hopefully will be something fun for some of my Sims to get into.

I do however wish that knitting could have been part of a large Arts & Crafts EP or GP. I wouldn’t want them to get in the habit of releasing one individual hobby at a time via an SP.

I’d love a huge hobbies pack like Freetime that adds a little something for a wide variety of interests.
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    @Beardedgeek I dunno. I play vampires, sure, but i still prefer more realistic approach.
    I try to remain unseen if I'm using my powers, otherwise we're just extremely pale people.

Sure, vampires are real. They just keep it to themselves.

BTW - I completely agree with you on the topic of robotics. Fake Padding is not the way to go.
    On the OTHER hand - you kind of do stop working at least for a while if you get electrocuted.
    🐸🐸🐸🐸 yourself enough times with a needle and knitting stops being appealing for at least few minutes.
    My point being - it must feel right, not fake and just there for sake of being there.

IIMO, wood-working is the best one out of all chores. Those craftables are genuinely useful.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • SimyimSimyim Posts: 142 Member
    I was also surprised when I saw the pack would be about knitting. My first options were Happy Haunts and also Arts and Crafts, thinking they would include a bit of everything (pottery, glass making, etc). But I must say that after seeing the surveys with the concept designs for CAS and the objects, I’m really curious about it! Maybe it could be fun after all... (and would love to have that Grim Reaper stuffed toy! :D)
  • EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey, to each their own! People like different things and that's ok, let's respect everyone and not tell people that their joy is wrong. People being so different is what makes this community so special! :)
  • gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    Just a note, I am not one saying their joy is wrong. I am stating my opinion about I do not like another boring supposed game play, when the Sims 4 is lacking in so many ways. I've knitted and for me it was boring. My mother knits... she enjoys it, but I do not watch her knit, why would I watch a Sim knit?

Toddlers and children are so in need of things to do. Elders, children, and toddlers could use clothes, more hair, and ect (more elder clothes and hairstyles). So much missing in this game, that knitting just doesn't interest me. I would like to see smaller items that huge in the game. How about sp that has wallpaper, floors, matching furniture, more paintings, and etc. People are right this isn't Sims 2 and 3, it is 4... It is suppose to outdo its previous versions, not offer less and not fix many broken things and bugs that have been around for ages.

So yeah, not purchasing knitting.
    edited March 2020
    gamekitten wrote: »
    Just a note, I am not one saying their joy is wrong. I am stating my opinion about I do not like another boring supposed game play, when the Sims 4 is lacking in so many ways. I've knitted and for me it was boring. My mother knits... she enjoys it, but I do not watch her knit, why would I watch a Sim knit?

Exactly. My only problem with this is that I realize after Laundry and then this won that nothing I would want ever will be voted for by the majority, so I don't need bothering to vote. So I have not taken part in anything after it was clear what the pack was going to be about.

I will buy it anyway, because I cannot stand having to filter builds in the gallery because I lack content. That is the ONLY reason I bought several stuff packs and even a game pack (the magic one I can't remember the name of; I have not yet even visited the world, I am completely uninterested in supernatural gameplay. I do admit I love the black leather dress with the corset, tho).

And yes, I am perfectly aware that my buying those packs will read to EA as if I actually want them for what they are.

Edit: again, I am not trying to take away the joy other people feel. I am just not... understanding it, I guess. I just can't understand how this will work from a gameplay perspective other than the usual "put i on 3x speed and try to decide if it's worth stopping to go pee or just gamble that my sim won't pee herself before knitting is done". It's just going to be like painting, but sitting down with sticks, right?
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited March 2020
    I literally dont see the point in this pack. Great if you like knitting IRL, but just watching your sim knit? Most likely the same objects over and over and over that your sim probably wont be able to use but just get a moodlet from? I just dont see any lasting worthwhile gameplay from it and Im not buying it unless Im paying less than $2 out of pocket.

And to be perfectly honest, Im pretty glad that the community doesnt vote on potential packs 99% of the time.
  • Sims4DisneyStuffSims4DisneyStuff Posts: 143 Member
    Hmm I'm a little confused as to who actually voted for knitting. Hobbies...yeah, I can name a bunch off the top of my head. But knitting? Who voted...own up?! LOL
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Lol I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

No, it will not be overwhelmingly interesting to watch a sim knit. But has anyone ever complained about watching their sim read a book, paint a picture, play chess, bang on a piece of wood repeatedly at the woodwork table etc. If you took each interaction individually then most of them would be boring to sit and watch.

Isn't it the game as a whole that makes it interesting? All these little interactions added up together, and the things that our sims can aspire to and achieve?
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    edited March 2020
    Hmm I'm a little confused as to who actually voted for knitting. Hobbies...yeah, I can name a bunch off the top of my head. But knitting? Who voted...own up?! LOL

I'm not embarrassed. But I picked knitting because sewing wasn't an option.
    I literally dont see the point in this pack. Great if you like knitting IRL, but just watching your sim knit? Most likely the same objects over and over and over that your sim probably wont be able to use but just get a moodlet from?

We will be unlocking clothes (already voted on), and (maybe, it depends on the vote) lights (knitting the shades) and toys our sim kids can play with, and poofs our sims can sit on, and possibly a few other things as well.

And some people like having decor in their sims house.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

I did, specifically for knitting. My reason was that I like the idea of having things in the game that I also enjoy in real life and I was intrigued by the possibility of knitting wearable and usable items. If the option was there for a Hobbies general pack, I'd have voted for that too but it wasn't and any of the other options just weren't something I wanted. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I'm fine with knitting. I've wanted crafting of basically any type in the game for so long that I'm glad it's coming. It's one more thing that gives them a distinctive hobby that helps me view and set up their personality through the things I have them do.. and the way I set up their home. It will work really well for low tech and off grid types in my game. I have some sims like that. I can definitely see my cat lady knitting already and my stardew granny too. It might even be a quirky hobby that's very unexpected for some sims and to me that will be fun/funny to see. I've personally always wanted a crafting room for myself but ... I don't have the room for it so you can bet I'm going to do it for some of my sims.

I picked Happy Haunts originally and had my "awww darn" (forum language) moment when it lost. I still want those things they mentioned for Happy Haunts in my game one day.. and I have a strong suspicion some of it will be revisited in some way.
    egTcBMc.png
  • CheekyimpCheekyimp Posts: 124 Member
    I don't understand the its boring to watch comments, do people really sit and watch their sims paint? Write? Do wood working? I don't, I set them on task and then move on, so I just don't understand the boring to watch = bad for sims.
    I voted for knitting, I have no problem admitting that, I am thrilled the community went for it, the comments about it being good for the elderly stereotype is really getting on my wick (esp when elderly sims can still take part in every activity, its not like its limited!) but having some thing creative that makes some thing usable for my sims to do makes me happy.
    Yes I am a knitter (and spinner and crocheter, and I dabble in dyeing yarn) so to see my hobby reflected in my favourite game is exciting to me, watching them or not!
    It might not be to every ones taste, but no one is obliged to buy the pack either.
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    EA can keep their Knitting pack not going to give them my money for this garbage I mean really how many people sit and knit. Especially young people they need to fire some of their people and hire a new group their ideas stink they are really boring.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member

Me! I love the knitting theme!
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    ArcherDK wrote: »
    @Beardedgeek These clothes better be REALLY good, given that I use CC :)

There's a thread where you can see the clothes that we voted on and the winners.
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    EA_Mai wrote: »
    Hey, to each their own! People like different things and that's ok, let's respect everyone and not tell people that their joy is wrong. People being so different is what makes this community so special! :)

I'm not seeing anyone being unkind, I am seeing people giving their opinions of what they find fun. Yep! We really do have different ideas about what is or isn't fun, and we really are a fun and interesting group!
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
    edited March 2020
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    We will be unlocking clothes (already voted on), and (maybe, it depends on the vote) lights (knitting the shades) and toys our sim kids can play with, and poofs our sims can sit on, and possibly a few other things as well.

And some people like having decor in their sims house.

I have decor in my Sim's house. But I am not one of those that fill it with clutter to the point of it not being a starter home anymore (a pet peeve of mine, when you get a starter home on the gallery and realize it's 1100 too much because they just HAD to put in the 2342 landscaping plants using MOO).

Anyway, that is a bit more interesting, as I said I am uninterested enough that I didn't bother to vote nor pay attention after learning what the pack was about.
    Personally I hope that the clothes are easy to unlock and obtain if they are cute, because I hate having them locked behind a skill my particular Sim won't learn would suck (that is another thing, too. If we are going to have unlockables that really matter (aka clothing, which is a big deal to me) I don't want to have to break character and have my Sim do something that she actually wouldn't do. Which means I would have to move in another sim in the household, unlock the clothes, then kick the Sim out).
    As you can tell I tend to roleplay my Sim to a large degree, to the point of not using certain benefits that won't fit that Sim's character, for example (Alejadra only has three reward traits, that fit her character, and the other 5000 points are unspent and will forever be unspent for example)
    Cheekyimp wrote: »
    I don't understand the its boring to watch comments, do people really sit and watch their sims paint? Write? Do wood working? I don't, I set them on task and then move on, so I just don't understand the boring to watch = bad for sims.

For me it depends why I do it. If I am grinding something (like say "I gotta get lvl 7 debate skill because arbitrary rule for her aspiration) then I will 3x the heck out of it. Same trying to make 18 mechanisms for a Servo.

But if it's something she "wants" to do? When it's not for grindy reasons? Then yes, I play it at 1x speed.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I disagree, I actually like the idea of artisan skills and hope this will only be the start of many more to come!

Skills have become a bit too redundant and repetitive for my liking. It feels like many are not all that different from their previous iterations in past games. It would be really neat if more and more skills provided materials, objects, and such that truly impacted your Sim's life to not just make things easier, but make things more interesting and full of depth.

And I really hope The Sims 5 makes things harder to come by, either to the level of The Sims 2 or even more so. I think all clothes should require you to go to a clothing store and actually purchase it, that way skills such as knitting and such will have a great purpose, from wanting to save money or to even putting a more personal touch onto your Sim's clothing.
  • silveRose82_silveRose82_ Posts: 283 Member
    I voted for Arts and Crafts. I think we could use more hobby type things, which I have missed greatly from TS2. I'm excited to make my little knitter sim who opens up her own knit shop or something. I knit IRL and enjoy it, and while I understand that people think it will be boring to watch, so is watching them read a book, or watch TV, or eat food. I mean, real life, in general, would be pretty boring for most people to just watch. I'm interested in it for the fact it offers something new for them to do, focus on, perhaps make a living out. Would I have loved to have something more like sewing maybe, possibly, but being able to craft anything will be fun for me. It's also another great thing you can use to play something that shows like time progressing and inventions happening like I have seen other people play. I think it has the potential to be a lot of fun in creating new stories or ideas for sims or challenges to play.