Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Knitting Gameplay Questions for the Community!

Comments

• VytautėVytautė Posts: 6 New Member
    There are so many answers already, but I hope someone reads mine as I really wanted to express my opinion.. :D

Q1: Like others said, elective knitting classes at university seems like a good idea.

Q2: In my opinion, if you know how to knit you probably know how to crochet (I only learned how to crochet, I felt it was easier :# ), so I think that would be fine. And also, if you are using very thick rope-like yarn it's almost like crochet.

Q3: Hmm, my mum knits mostly while watching tv, I've never seen her knit at a desk. But maybe, if a desk has a retractable sewing machine (like hidden inside the desk until you push or pull something and it comes out) it could be used by sims with lower knitting skill to attach separate knitted pieces together into a sweater or whatever they were making.

Q4: I think that should depend on the skill level. Because when I tried this craft it took me a long time just to make a couple of lines and they were still wonky, no matter how hard I tried. But my mum can knit with her eyes closed and it takes her no time. :D But of course, it depends on the size of the project, scarves are the quickest, I think, then sweater may take a couple of days but rugs may take a week or more depending how much time you spend on it each day.

Q5: I'm not sure about this one, I've never seen anyone knit standing up..

Q6: Okay, this is the one I wanted to comment on the most. I think it should depend on the personality of the sim. For example, my mum is a master knitter, but it's not in her character to just decide to teach me something, she would wait until I ask her. Not that she wants to feel special, I think it's more about her being shy, maybe, or she doesn't think I would be interested, so she just doesn't offer. So maybe if a sim is outgoing and gregarious they would probably just start teaching you without even realising. But a more conserved sim would just keep it to themselves.

Q7: My mum sells her stuff on facebook, but it's basically like etsy when you create a shop page. It's not easy to sell knitted stuff, because in order to get a profit you can't set the prices low. Only people who appreciate the craft or are rich usually consider buying. Therefore, it's hard to get "a fanbase" when you don't get many customers. And donation, I think is a very good idea (for scouts)

Q8: This makes me think of Harry Potter, when Ron's mum makes him a new sweater for every Christmas and he wears it because he loves his mum, but he feels embarrased.. :D I think this should also depend on the sim's character. If they are family oriented or are very close to the person who gave them the knitted item, then they would for sure wear the item no matter the quality and be grateful for it in their presence. But then maybe after a couple of hours after the gratefulness "wears off" they could start feeling embarassed. They may be itchy, but not every sweater is made with wool. Maybe if good quality yarn was used then there would be no uncomfortable feelings.

Q9: ...

Q10: As I said before, it could be autonomous but only if the sims character allows it.

Hope someone agrees. :D
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,554 Member
    edited March 2020
    Q1: Seasons (scarves, mittens and such that you can put in a sim's inventory and they'll autonomously wear it when they go outside and it's cold; redocorating snow pals with self knitted objects would also be cute; knitted objects should be giftable!; knit some project for theatre for teens/kids as a costume, which would increase performance) Cats & Dogs (cats playing with yarn), Kids Room SP (knittable Void Critters), Get Famous (not so much, it should at least be hard to earn fame with knitting and it should not be earned by knitting itself but only be doing videos or selling knitted stuff), Discover University (knitting as one of the courses Sims are free to choose), Parenthood (a knitting school project), Moschino Stuff Pack (add to the Photography career with a knitting gig)

Q2: Happy.

Q3: I like the desk but I don't think it should be linked to knitting. You could possibly add an "admire knitting utensils" option to some of the objects that come with the pack though which would give the person viewing these objects (animation like from a painting) an inspired or happy moodlet - or a sad or angry moodlet if their knitting skill is still low.

Q4: Like the idea. I'd consider the lenght for writing a childrens' book as a reference.

Q5: No. They should sit on the floor if there aren't any nearby chairs. But please no kneeling, maybe you could use the pose for the legs from meditiation instead?

Q6: I'd like to see the Sim that teaches another to knit to sit down nearby that Sims, telling storys while knitting himself and sometimes explaining how to do it. The teaching Sim could also get different moodlets from teaching knitting depending on the skill of the pupil, the relationship they have and traits of the knitter like hotheaded or family oriented)

Q7: I'd like to see a knitting contest. If you'd win that'll increase your sales for a while. I'd also like to see an option to donate knitted stuff as a chrismas present by using the mailbox. This should also level empathy for teens and kids and fulfill the good deed goal for scouts.

Q8: Itchy moodlet. Also I'd like to see other Sims autonomously gossip about a Sim wearing such a sweater (like with the Get Famous talk when stars are around, just less predominant) and the Sim would then get an ashamed moodlet. Insane Sims could get a happy moodlet for feeling unique. Also, it would be could if other Sims could joke about ugly knitting or tease for ugly knitting when a Sim wears a badly knitted CAS objects. All of this should of course not be done by the person who knitted the sweater.

Q9:: -

Q10: Very few autonomy please. I'd be okay with a level 10 knitter to autonomously be able to show their knitted stuff on their mobile to others autonomously (just like showing photos of Selvadorada) or to enthuse about knitting. Sims could also be able to share knitting knowledge (social interaction) at some point which would give the target a tiny boost in knitting. There could also be an idle animation for Sims with high knitting skill that they'll occasionally put out their knitting utensils and knit a bit, but the idle shouldn't increase the skill.

Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Robinxn10Robinxn10 Posts: 1 New Member
    Q1: Crosspack! I’m planning on making Knitting compatible with things like Get to Work Retail Lots (including Mannequins!), Get Together’s Club Rules, and City LIving’s Yard Sale Table. What else would provide fun crosspack functionality? For example, should knitting provide Fame in some way? Selling would be fun

Q2: If some “Crochet-Like” objects became craftable through Knitting, how would you personally feel? Happy? Enraged? Strong sense of ennui? We can’t guarantee unique animations for crocheting, but I’d like to still potentially provide them as a craftable object for players.
    Focused and frustrated when learning, fun and relaxed when you have skill, proud when wearing it or showing it off , frustrated when yarn gets tangled, upset if done poorly and knitting has holes in it

Q3: There’s a cool crafty desk floating around in concept art that you guys may have seen (49 - 52 in the object vote). What would knitting at one of these desks mean to you, if anything? Asking around the office, nobody knits at a desk, but I’m curious if anyone would find value if the new crafting desk tied in with knitting somehow.
    Desk could hold supplies and patterns, skeins of yarn come in long packages then need to be made into balls before you knit, if you don't they get tangled.

Q4: I’d like Knitting to actually take some time to craft, something Sims can save for later and come back to. In your experience, how long have some of your knitting projects taken? I’ll try not to make it feel too grindy, but definitely longer than it takes to paint in our game.
    when learning a lot longer than an expert, longer than a painting or a book, a good bit of time. I also think the sim should have to unravel sometimes and count out loud.

Q5: If your Sim wanted to knit something, but they couldn't find a place to sit, would you be okay with them standing up and knitting? Asking for a friend...
    You can stand but your yarn would be at your feet rolling around . I always sit or lay.

Q6: Along with the Mentor interaction, I’d like to include a proper “Teach to Knit” interaction. I’d love to have that moment where the Knitting Master granny teaches their grandchild how to knit. For those of you who experienced similar things, what was that experience like for you? I’m curious what people think this should look like - both animation and story wise.
    Granny shows then child does some on his her own then granny unravels the child's a bit

Q7: I’d like to have some Etsy store-like gameplay, as well as donation gameplay with Knitting. For those of you who may have gone down those paths in real life, what were some interesting takeaways or stories you’d like to see represented?
    it does not sell for the material and time to make it

Q8: Lets say a Sim is wearing an awful, itchy sweater that they’re wearing only because somebody gifted it for them. What kind of things would you like to see happen to them?
    makes you hot, rash and flushed

Q9: I need your best Knitting puns. Feed them to me.

Q10: This is my biggest question, so I saved it for last. Should the “Teach to Knit” interaction mentioned above be autonomous? While this might sound trivial, I feel this is very important for gameplay. I’m interested how people would feel about their level 10 knitter trying to spread their knitting knowledge on others. Let's say you have someone in your family who is a level 10 knitter, if this interaction is autonomous the entire house is going to get a real deep dive into knitting, perhaps constantly.

What are your thoughts on potentially “story intrusive” interactions like this, would you be okay to find your family one day all high-level knitters through natural autonomy? Or should this only be user-directed, meaning on you have the ability to choose who gets schooled on knitting. I’d love to hear your thoughts about these sorts of things.
    the knitter should talk about it often but only teach when prompted
  • lei_jaylei_jay Posts: 2 New Member
    1- i'd love to see different ways in which knitting could be added in other worlds/packs.
    2- das still cute
    3- personally, i'm a knitter and i don't have a "knitting desk". it's all about finding a comfy knitting spot.
    4- my projects take a LOT longer to finish now that i've improved, and it's such a rewarding feeling once they're completed.
    5- i literally sit on the floor if i can't find a good spot
    6- love this interaction. it would be cute to work on projects together.
    7-
    8- itches/rashes
    9 -
    10 - okay, i like this question. honestly, i never go around asking people if they want me to teach them how to knit. i have to be 100% in the mood and totally invested. and it would make a lot more sense to me if the interaction popped up between sims that were good friends or closer. i think it should be user-directed.
  • Sarahamoe86Sarahamoe86 Posts: 1 New Member
    A1: No Fame needed but the other suggestions would be awesome. My daughter is always stealing my yarn, it could be fun to have children interactions with the yarn/WIP. Definitely animals interacting with the yarn as well.

A2: Please please please have Crochet like items. I am a crocheter and horrible knitter and it would be awesome to have both options. I think there should be a "Frog project" function as well. I don’t know a single needle worker who hasn’t frogged their projects. It's just part of the process.

A3: No one knits at a desk, however, the desk could possible be used to hold the yarn stash. Maybe have an option to choice what yarn the sim will work with from the desk?

A4: Goodness, the only knit projects I ever finished took 5 months, and it was a baby blanket. Length of time depends on what you are making. At least for me, I can crochet a baby blanket within a month or two, a scarf usually only takes a day or two. A hat can be done within hours.

A5: I mean, I usually sit on the floor to crochet but standing is always an option. I ALWAYS ALWAYS have my yarn and needles with me, even at church. So I think it would be important to have the knitting function wherever the sim goes.

A6: I was taught by an older lady from my church so I think it is very important for a sim to be able to teach another sim. I have learned different stitches and techniques from Pinterest and Youtube so maybe a function on the computer could help with skill building as well.

A7: Yes, yes, yes. I have not once kept a project for myself. It is such an amazing feeling to give away something you spent so much time, energy, and love on.

A8: I think they would take it off as soon as the person left or they got home. Maybe a good hot shower would help bring relief to their skin.

A9: "Happy 🐸🐸🐸🐸" "I crochet so I don't unravel" "Yarn lover"

A10: I feel like it should be user-directed. I can’t say I would want the whole sims family knitting/crocheting. That doesn't seem natural to me and I wouldn’t want all my sims walking around knitting all the time. When people see you out with your yarn they usually just ask what you're making and give an example of someone they know who knits or crochets. I would never just randomly sit down and start teaching someone the skill. In fact, I am horrible and hate teaching people how to do it.
  • Zoey95Zoey95 Posts: 1,549 Member
    1. Yes, on the crosspacks: Get to Work/retail, Get Together/clubs, City Living/yard sale table, Cats & Dogs/knit sweaters for pets & naughty pets (infrequently) wrecking projects, University/knitting classes & yarn bombing, Realm of Magic/enchanted knitting needles like Mrs. Weasley's, Dine Out/knitted placemats & tablecloths, Spa Day/knit your own meditation cushion. A big no on knitting & fame.
    2. I'd love both crocheting and knitting, but I'm okay with knitting animations producing crochet-looking objects.
    3. I love the crafty desk for aesthetics, but I don't want it linked to the knitting animation.
    4. The length of knitting time for a project should be scaled to both the size/details of the project and the knitting skill level. Beginners are slow and level 10 knitters finish a project fairly quickly.
    5. I don't want them standing and knitting.
    6. Mentoring: two sims sit together and the experienced sim pauses their knitting occasionally to watch the mentor.
    7. Esty-type sales would be okay as long as it's not a huge money maker. I'd prefer the option to gift and donate (good reputation) their items.
    8. I'm not keen on the idea that the knitting is itchy or causes a rash. I think I'd prefer the knitter to be embarrassed about gifting poorly made items and a sim to feel awkward/uncomfortable at receiving something poorly made.
    9. I've got you under my skein. Knit happens. Totally worsted.
    10. A big NO on autonomous knit mentoring. I prefer using clubs and creating a knitting group, with only the club members or NPCs you offer to teach gaining the skill. Skilled NPC knitters will knit in public at parks, libraries, etc but not teach others.

One action I'd like to see for knitters is for them to be annoyed at interruptions because "any questions asked while I'm counting stitches will be answered by louder counting" :D
  • HotchArHotchAr Posts: 8 New Member
    Q1-University had the yarn bomb on the mascot statues, which might have to be taken away, or perhaps expanded (I have seen trees and underpasses decorated with knit cozies), perhaps knitting could tie in to making your own fish nets (Island Living)

Q2- I'm curious as to what you think can be made with crochet but not with knitting and vice versa. They're both methods of taking a single yarn/thread and turning it into fabric, and in terms of shaping, I don't think they're very different. However, the way in which they differ is the technique, and the appearance of the resulting stitches. My opinion is that the skills are non-transferable, but I would not be annoyed if they were combined for sims purposes, however I would be more annoyed if I was told the sim was crocheting, and I very visibly saw them knitting. I'm not certain I could tell the difference in the final products without a magnifying glass and a few minutes, but it would probably garner an eye roll and a huff if I noticed.

Q3- Honestly, it looks more like a sewing table to me, so maybe it could be used for final finishing and construction, although I do love the idea of crossover crafting tables, that can have multiple hobbies performed at them. and maybe later, full-on sewing/garment construction can be applied to it if that becomes its own skill.

Q4- My problem is that I will do maybe three rows of knitting and then put the project down for a month, so it takes over a year, but when I was actually on a roll, I managed to finish a smallish thing in about two and a half months. then again, there was a scandinavian copycat of the great british bake off about knitting, and they manage to knock a couple of small things out in one episode.

Q5- I think I would probably plop down on the floor, rather than stand. I did see someone's photo of an edwardian lady knitting as she walked, but I don't think i have the coordination to do that. I'm not certain I have the coordination to knit out of a bag that I'm holding either, so my yarn would be on the floor, and I wouldn't want four feet of it unspooled like that, especially if its a ball rolling everywhere. maybe walk-knitting is a perk at level seven.

Q6- Honestly, not sold on the separate teach to knit interaction. I like clean matching sets, so having 25 skills all have "level ten mentor" and then skill 26 has "level ten mentor, and teach to knit" sits ill with me. something that I realize is difficult, and therefore unlikely, but ultimately preferable, is to beef up all mentoring to include animations. Not that I use the mentoring all that much, since I try to have the most varied skills possible, so if dad's a violinist, and mom's a pianist, little Sadie gets to be a gamer.

Q7- Never been a fast enough knitter to get into production.

Q8- Obvously, scratching, uncomfortable moodlet, possibly embarassed moodlet, depending on the specific problems involved. I think depending on the relationship with the gifter, they can either throw it to the ground, or pick it apart, maybe even set fire to it if they hate it enough.

Q9- ewe'll hate this, but purl up nice and tea-cozy by the fire. I needle some time because I'm knit that funny. I sweater I'll come up with a basket of puns that will have you in stitches.

Q10- Going back to my earlier answer, I don't necessarily want this skill to have a leg up, but if applied throughout all skills, I think autonomous mentoring could be interesting. HOWEVER, I absolutely think, rather than the level ten offering to teach the lower skill levels, sims should solicit tips from the level tens. For example, Little Leslie goes to visit her Gramma Greta. Scenario A: Grandma tries to teach Leslie how to knit, Leslie does bad and promises she'll never knit again, Greta offers to train her on every subsequent visit, Leslie grows up remembering how her Grandma was pushy, and still has bad memories of knitting. bad ending. Scenario B: Leslie asks her grandma where she got that pretty blanket on the couch. Greta says she made it, and offers to show Leslie how. Determined to become good enough to recreate that blanket, Leslie starts off on potholders (or whatever) and learns to love knitting, eventually continuing on her own. When she grows up, she remembers happily knitting with her grandmother, and has acquired a life skill. Happy Ending.
    It helps that I think this scenario can also more or less apply to other skills, so maybe grandma doesn't knit, maybe she bakes, or fishes, or codes or sings. or maybe, a teen's friend is good at skill X. between peers, I feel like Sammy Sim is more likely to ask for painting tips from Frieda Friend, than Frieda is to offer lessons unsolicited. and maybe Frieda Friend only has so many hours in the day, and Sammy needs to stop asking for lessons before Frieda friend becomes Frieda Enemy.

tldr; I'd prefer autonomous "ask for lesson" on all skills, rather than autonomous "teach knitting".
  • WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    In regards to Question #8, could the itchy sweaters that are mentioned be created by sims with the Evil Trait? Normally people don't set out to knit itchy items but that would fit perfectly for a sim with an Evil Trait.
  • serraderooijserraderooij Posts: 3 New Member
    1) I love the crosspack idea. What id like to see for fame is only donations. My grandma knits and she created baby/toddler clothing or decor items and donates them to people who don’t have a lot. She doesn’t get money from it but people do recognise her work. I thought maybe that’s a way to get a bit of fame.

2) I’m fine with that.

4) love that idea. My grandma works a few days on a new item

5) not okay with standing knitting. Sitting on the ground would be better.

6) love this idea! My grandma taught me how to knit when I was around 10. She would sit next to me or show me how to do it. We would knit together she on her chair and me on my chair. I always loved knitting with my grandma. It’s always been a wonderful experience!

7) donating items is a great idea!

8) they could feel uncomfortable because the sweater is itchy. But maybe if the sim is good friends with the person who knitted it for them they can feel good instead of uncomfortable because they know they’re making their friend happy and don’t care about the itchiness.

10) I feel like it should be a one on one thing. Granny teaching their grandchild and maybe give the grandchild a good feeling everytimes she/he knits alone. Like a memory thing thinking about granny. I want this to be a one on one experience not a whole household thing.
  • TheRepoManSamTheRepoManSam Posts: 16 Member
    [quote="Claret1011;c-17419642"]
    1. Not sure about fame for knitting. Are there famous knitters? But great news that it will be included with clubs. Please can we get a new icon for knitting club too? Sometimes new packs include new activities for clubs, but no new club icon and the old icons don’t fit.

6. Yes yes yes! To be clear, *children* can knit? This is really important. I would love some emotions linked to this. A happy emotion of proud grandparent and maybe focused from the child? I’d love a chance for it to turn out wrong, with a chance for an embarrassed mood for child if grandparent is mean about it, or maybe playful if grandparent laughs and makes it fun. My gran never made me feel bad when I messed something up.

8. Uncomfortable or stressed mood, and embarrassed mood for the one who made it. Maybe a chance for them to rip it off in frustration with loss of relationship for the maker?

10. I’d like to teach children autonomously, everyone else has to choose. [/quote]

These are all great!
  • TheRepoManSamTheRepoManSam Posts: 16 Member
    [quote="Lyoufln;c-17419702"]
    Hiya! Thanks for asking us all these questions! :)

[b]Q1.[/b] A fun crossover idea might be with Laundry Day. If your sim puts their wool sweater in the washing machine/dryer, there could be a chance the sweater will shrink/be ruined. It’s always best to hand wash knitted clothing! As other people have said here, a knitting club should be possible with Get Together. Knitting circles are a thing, and it’s a great time to socialize and learn new knitting tips and tricks. Oh, and knitted clothing should be suitable for cold weather wear in Seasons.

You are brilliant!
    The sweater shrinking in the dryer is hilarious! And maybe a chance to tear in the washer?
  • SeriphinaFyieSeriphinaFyie Posts: 3,506 Member
    Q1: I don't like the idea of getting fame from knitting. That just seems too extra. Fame is easy enough to get already.

For University, a skills class would work, but a whole semester of knitting class seems weird toward a degree.

I love the idea of the retail aspect, but what about the volunteering aspect? Knit hats, booties, or small blankets to donate to the hospital. Teens can volunteer to help sort donated supplies to improve responsibility. Also, emotional control by quietly knitting for a while would be nifty.

I love the idea of making a knitting club with get together or selling things at the yard sale table. What about listing things for sale online?

The laundry tub/washing machines could be used for felting finished projects.

Maybe take consignment odd-jobs to make things like throw pillows or blankets then mail them to the customer for the island living odd-jobs system.

My cats love my yarn, and more than once my dogs have gotten in on the action and will dive into a basket of yarn without a second thought. Some mornings I've woken to impressive yarn trails.

Q2: Most things that are made with crochet can be made by knitting. I was never able to crochet well, but I've run a small business based on knitting for years.

Q3: Knitting machines tend to be a desktop thing and good for larger projects. Blocking or piecing together a sweater or toy from completed parts would be done on a work surface.

Q4: Some projects take a few hours here and there, others take a long time because I put them down frequently or because they have a lot of parts that then get combined together, like some clothing or toys. A way to accomplish this could be to create parts, then combine them into a finished project after all of the parts are created. Example: Sweater, needs a front, back, two sleeves: Sew parts together, then create neckline.

Q5: This would be awkward to me. I rarely would stand and knit, though there are some who walk and knit so it's not unheard of, but it is unusual.

Q6: I like the teach knitting idea. I also know a lot of knitters ask for help or advice from one another, so that could be both a positive social interaction and a small boost to skill for a period of time.

Q7: I've had an Etsy store with knitted items for years. An online marketplace they have to list items then ship them to customers could be cute. Sometimes I take consignment projects, so that could be neat, similar to an odd job interaction with a timeframe for completion, then mail the item to the customer. Don't forget to have them restock their yarn stash as they finish projects!

Additionally, my knitting group often gets together to do a project for donating to local shelters and hospitals. Right now we're making hats out of super soft yarn for donation to the Cancer Center. Sometimes we make hats or blankets for the premature babies at the hospital. Often donation projects are quick items that are not material heavy.

Q8: I'd love to see them add fabric softener to the washer to help fix that itchy sweater. Maybe a tiny negative moodlet for poor quality yarn?

Q9: I need your best Knitting puns. Feed them to me.
    I don't have any purls of wisdom to add here.

Q10: I feel like this is an option that should be toggled on or off. Or, instead of it being so intrusive, give a boost to skill for a period of time following knitting interactions, such as talking about knitting, asking knitting advice, searching online for knitting patterns... if knitting will be autonomous, perhaps give it a slightly lower draw value than some other objects?
  • Sigismonda32Sigismonda32 Posts: 4 New Member
    Hello!!!
    Q1+Q2:If a new trait like "DIY lover" will be introduced, we could create a club for sims who're into that and share the same trait. I thought that with Seasons a knitted sweater- once worn- could make the sim feel happy , comfy and warm. Or with Parenthood (but maybe also with the base game) an object made by oneself or by a sim belonging to same family could make the sim who's wearing it an Inspired or happy moodlet for wearing/having something that strengthen the relationships with his family or reminds him of good memories related to his family. The same could happen with "Cats and dogs", for the sim who knitted for his pet. Plus, after having knitted, the sim might feel inspired or confident for realizing something belonging to older traditions, that's the art of knitting.

Q3: To be honest, I have always seen people knitting on a rocking chair, but I think that we could use the desk for creating the model that is going to be realized.

Q4: Creating a hat requires much less time than any other garment, but generally it takes a long, f.i.4/5 hours for a sweater. Usually my grandma did it while watching the tv. I BEG YOU that these actions can be done simultaneously.

Q5: No way!!! For heaven's sake! XD

Q6: That's the main reason why I voted for this pack! My grandma used to sit next to me and show me briefly how to move the knitting needles and then she gave those to me to see if I was moving them in the right way and while I started to knit she kept on saying how to move the needles. Actually, she spent most of the time laughing at me, but she was such a fun!

Q7: With a pc, a sim could create a website, like when he creates a profile on a social network, that provides an inventory to put the stuff knitted in to be sold; then he might check if there are requests to send and sell some stuff to those who asked for. The interactions can be similar to the one created in "Seasons" for scouts' donations. Besides, with "Seasons", when winter comes, it would be great to have the opportunity to donate some knitted stuff to the poor or to the homeless, maybe in adding it in the same option of donations.

Q8: That really happens, mostly if you use a low quality wool, you'll end up with a kind of itchy white blasters on your arms. (My experience) But they go away after 3/4 hours after you take that sweater off.

Q9: For wearing something knitted : " A sparkling armor for a brave knit"
    Or simply for having knitted: "Good knit!" for a good job or "What a nit!" for a bad job.

Q10: I think that the “Teach to Knit” interaction should be autonomous. Maybe, when selected the option "Teach to knit", we could choose the sim (also more than one) to whom teach this ability.

NOW, I WANT A GRADE FOR THIS TEST! XD THANKS FOR ASKING US WHAT WE THINK ABOUT IT. CIAO!!!
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,301 Member
    Thank you for asking for our input!

Q1 Crosspack: Knitting classes at the university (Discover University), being able to use the video recording/editing station to do a "promoting crafted item to sell" video that can be edited and uploaded to attract buyers (Get Famous), being able to "add homemade gift" to gift pile or gifts under tree with the ability to select which crafted item from inventory and which sim it will go to (Seasons). Being able to watch a movie and knit at the same time (Movie Night). Also, please let sims be able to socialize, listen to music, and/or watch TV while knitting.

Q2 Crochet okay? Yes. That's fine with me. I'd be happy even if animation is the same. I'd be overjoyed if animation is different.

Q3 Knit at craft desk? Sims should be able to knit anywhere they can sit.

Q4 How much time? For me, just in a storytelling and not getting bored way rather than necessarily realism... the painting time feels too short, and the composing song on instrument time feels too long. Something in between those two could be just right.

Q5 Kit standing or walking? Only if they are level 10 knitter and have the "active" trait. Everyone else should have to sit down. Sims with "active" trait should probably also get antsy while trying to knit and change where they are sitting or standing a lot. Other sims should be able to stay put in one seat and knit.

Q6 Teach to knit: I definitely want an animation that actually looks like the sim teaching is actually teaching (maybe demonstrating, or guiding hands). The "mentor" animation annoys me because it just looks like they're standing there lecturing the other sim. Being taught to knit should produce different kinds of moodlets for sims with different traits, based on what seems like it would make sense for that trait. For example, maybe outgoing and perfectionist sims enjoy being given instruction more than loner sims or lazy sims. Also, please please please let children be able to knit (I also want children to be able to cook and garden, and I am frustrated that they can't. Childhood is exactly when stuff like that should be taught!)

Q7 Etsy/Online store/donations: I would like this, but I am not sure what it should involve.

Q8 Wearing itchy sweater: There should definitely be a scratching itches animation, not just the generic "uncomfortable" animation. Moodlet could start out happy (wearing special gift from friend), become uncomfortable after some time, and then maybe finally become angry (from too much itchiness) if sweater is not taken off. There should also be an option in the mean social menu of rudely telling the sim that gifted the sweater that you don't like it. This should result in the sweater being taken back and the relationship taking a hit. Maybe the friendly social menu could include "Lie about liking sweater" which would temporarily improve relationship, but could lead to a random chance of the sim later finding out you lied and getting angry. There could also be a friendly interaction of "gently explain that sweater is itchy", which would make the other sim sad, but not damage relationship. This interaction might also give the sim who knitted the sweater a small boost to knitting skill because they would learn something from the mistake. I would also like to say, if the same style sweater is also available in CAS, it should not be itchy. Only the crafted version should have the possibility of being itchy. Anything chosen via CAS should just function like normal CAS clothing.

Q9 Knitting puns.... Sorry. I'm no good at puns. But I always read all the descriptions and messages and I appreciate the effort that has gone into making so many of them funny. I promise to laugh. :smile:

Q10 Autonomous teach to knit? Please do not make teaching to knit autonomous for all sims in all circumstances. I think it should only be autonomous if all of these conditions are met: The teaching sim is level 10 in knitting, the teaching sim has both the creative trait and the outgoing trait, and there is a sim on the lot who is lower than level 5 knitting and who is already attempting to knit. For any other sim with knitting skill, teaching other sims to knit should only be player directed. Sims asking for help should follow similar rules regarding autonomy (for example, an outgoing sim might autonomously ask for help, but a loner sim wouldn't). Traits should affect autonomous behavior.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • EvieRose269EvieRose269 Posts: 10 New Member
    Q1: Get together is must for knitting clubs. It would be good to have some sort of cross over with parenthood and character values, and cats and dogs with maybe cats stealing your wool and ruining it (maybe they could treat it like a ball as we already have that animation?)

Q2: Yes

Q3: Don't have a preference but if we have the desks surely we should use them?

Q4: Different projects take different amount of time so something small with a low skill level e.g. toy required only takes 2 hours but something bigger that needs a higher skill level e.g. rug takes 10 hours

Q5: Prefer sitting or kneeling rather than standing

Q6: It depends how this could differ from mentoring when you reach level 10 but it would be good to have some knitting social interactions

Q7: That could be cool - you could also buy wool as well as sell and buy knitted items

Q8: This could depend on the quality of the jumper whether it is itchy or not and if its excellent then you get a happy buff but its poor you get an uncomfortable buff

Q9: knit back and relax

Q10: No - autonomous interactions for skills can be really annoying and its much better when it is user directed

Other thoughts:
    -being able to buy wool of different colours on a computer or in build/buy to store in your knitting bag, it could work like with upgrade parts for upgrading objects with handiness skill or flowers for flowering arranging (to knit something you have to have those colours so if you want a pink hat you need three pink wool)
    -knitting aspiration! Please, please please! This could be so good if it was like the painting, music, and writing aspirations with goals like buy a rocking chair, knit for 5 hours, knit 3 excellent quality items, teach knitting, knit three different types of toy.
  • Deb2of9RNPRNDeb2of9RNPRN Posts: 6 New Member
    i was trying to answer this per question but it got to hard. i recently shattered my elbow and can only type hunt and peck with one hand. shifting is almost impossible. so i am going to group my answers.

i am good with fame. people should get credit for their craft. a skilled knitter should be able to share tips and tricks. did not notice holiday related projects , but crafting parties , making seasonal decorations would be cool. i also like the influencer story idea doing videos to teach/show off their projects. i use you tube to learn new stitches

i would be happy including crochet projects. i do both so why shouldn't my sims.

those you asked are right, knitters don't usually knit at a desk. that being said, i knit anywhere including while walking around. i have a pouch that holds my yarn while i walk. sitting at a desk can work as long as you don't have to sit there. i would like to be able to knit sitting on the floor,

knitting takes as little as an hour for simple projects to days for a complicated or bigger projects. it depends on both the skill level of the knitter to the type of project. i think there should be varied times based on project. if possible to have a high skilled sim maybe complete projects quicker.

the teach to knit should be something a family member should be able to do. although i taught myself to knit, i have fond memories of my mom teaching me to crochet.a little kid trying to copy their grandma knitting would be cool. it should have positive mood lets. autonomous could depend on relationship but probably should only goes as far as offering to teach.

donations, craft shows and yes etsy type stores are all a big part of crafters and should be included. donations such as baby blankets and layettes, caps for cancer patients, lap blankets for nursing home residents all big donation areas. not to mention socks for soldiers, blankets, hats, socks and gloves for the homeless

not sure who suggested this but it is a perfect answer to the itchy sweater question.
    "Scratching, showing off the sweater and being grumpy, feeling embarassed, crossing their arms to hide it when it's called out. On the other cheek, if their relationship was high enough with the Sim, maybe they love it and show it off happily! Itchy but satisfying!"
  • Deb2of9RNPRNDeb2of9RNPRN Posts: 6 New Member
    tying knitting in with cats and dogs. my cats steal yarn balls out of my basket and play with it and try to get my yarn or knitting needles while i am trying to knit.
  • NindlNindl Posts: 510 Member
    How nice that we the Simmers are asked about our opinions on these gameplay aspects! Below I answered the questions that I can answer based on my experience and my gameplay style. :)

Q1
    Seasons: a new holiday tradition, "crafting"
    It could also include using the crafting/drawing tables for children, creating bouquets of flowers and making something out of clay and wood.
    Concering gaining fame: Generally I think that fame and knitting don't really belong together, but there could be the option to sell the knitted stuff on a site like Etsy and this could give a tiny bit of fame.

Q2
    Yes to crochet-like objects.

Q5
    Yes. We should be able to choose if our Sims sit while knitting or not and where they sit.

Q8
    They could be embarrassed or feel uncomfortable and occasionally perform a scratching animation. This should not happen everytime they wear a knitted sweater though! It would be good if the knitted objects had different quality, and only bad quality sweaters give those negative moodlets. Good quality ones on the other hand could give a „cuddly warm“ kind of happy moodlet.
  • PiitiiPebblesPiitiiPebbles Posts: 2 New Member

A1:
    Get to work: I would love if my Sims could not only shop for sweaters and socks, but also for wool, project bags and needles.
    Also: being able to donate knitted goods to the hospital. If someone has a baby in the hospital, give them a chance to return with a knitted baby scarf or hat!
    Get together: Of course a club activity, and PLEASE add an icon!
    City living: Maybe have knitters around San Myshuno use the pop up tables to sell knitwear? Also, maybe let sims in the "critic" career criticize other peoples sweaters.
    Cats and dogs: I've seen people mention cats playing with a ball of wool. Cats keeping you from knitting because they keep playing with your yarn is also a very real thing.
    Seasons: A problem I find with the gifting system is that sims tend not to like meaningful gifts. I tried gifting a guitar to a music lover, or giving a student an expensive laptop... they weren't happy with it. So please update the gifting system for (most) sims to appreciate a hand-knitted sweater! And maybe have donating knitted goods count towards a scouting badge?
    Get famous: "Knit with me" video's and knitting tutorials are very popular on YouTube. Maybe you can do something with that?
    Discover University: Maybe include a knitting animation while yarn bombing. Maybe an elective knitting class. But what I would very much like is a grandma sending a care package including socks or something.
    Parenthood: This one is important! Please have a tie-in with character values! I'll think of some suggestions. Maybe have an option where you can "abandon knitting project". This will decrease responsibility. And finishing a project will make you gain responsibility. Gifting or donating a sweater or something will give you empathy. Maybe even make an option to destroy your siblings project to make you lose empathy.

A2: I don't mind. I would love crochet to be an option, though, but I can imagine your time is better spent elsewhere.

A3: I like the visual of the desks. That said, I feel like for a cozy thing like knitting, it would be better to focus on more natural sitting positions/animations. Maybe cross-legged on the floor or laying on a couch. For most people, knitting is something you do to relax while drinking tea or something (btw... tea cozies are a great first project!). Please focus on a natural, laid back vibe.

A4: Yes to having something to come back to! I already gave my idea of being able to finish, abandon or repair projects. Maybe you could include a basket in which Sims can store their knitting projects? You could also give the knitting desk an inventory for this. They could store half-finished projects, wool, needles, etc.
    As for the time it takes... maybe don't make it too easy. Learning to knit can be a timely and frustrating process. I speak from experience... I have never learned to knit anything but a basic scarf. I keep coming back to it and I keep abandoning it.

A5: If that means you can spend valuable developing time elsewhere, sure. But please make knitting look cozy, homely and natural. I'm afraid an animation that can also be done while standing will look forced.

A6: Yes please! And please don't forget the "ask to teach" interaction. Maybe have some random townies who have knitting skill.
    As for experiences... I never left the beginner stage. I loved being taught to knit but I could never force myself to continue alone. But the shared moments with others, listening to music, chatting, and knitting, are unforgettable. It's quality time together. Maybe you could even have a memory triggered? When someone is wearing a scarf that they knitted with grandma, they remember the time they made it? Or have some "first project" hold sentimental value even though it's quality might be poor? Maybe it could have sentimental value for a proud grandpa or grandma.

A7: I'd just like to stress again how much I would like to buy wool and tools as well.

A8: I've seen a lot of good answers already, but I'd like to include one: If a child/teenager goes to school wearing this, you could have an event called "School Picture Day" triggered, as if the child was forced to wear an ugly, itchy sweater for picture day. Maybe come back with an embarrased moodlet. Also have options like:
    - complain about itchy sweater (decreases empathy)
    - tease about sweater (decreases empathy)
    - compliment sweater (increases empathy)
    Things like that.

A9: I know knot any.

A10: When it comes to the knitting thing, I don't really mind. But in general, I would really like some more autonomy in unplayed sims. It gives them character. I can think of two options:
    - Have sims/townies with knitting skill, that don't belong to a household, knit randomly sometimes. Without teaching it to others.
    - Include an autonomous "teach to knit", but don't tie it to skill gain. Just let the sim make a project but don't increase knitting skill. If knitting skil is very low, give them a chance of two moodlets:
    - frustrated (because they didn't learn how to knit)
    - a happy moodlet, because even though they still can't knit, they still appreciate the moment.
    A perfectionist sim could become frustrated, while a cheerful sim might get a happy moodlet.

This would help storytelling without having every sim be a master knitter in no time.

I also have some ideas for traits:
    - Homely (likes drinking tea and staying in knitting or/while watching tv, might conflict with "loves outdoors").
    - Impatient. This would be the perfect pack for this trait. I am impatient and I have abandoned many a knitting project. It can also make a sim frustrated while being taught, when other sims might feel happy. An impatient sim might have more trouble learning one skill for a long periode of time.

Also: I would love the style influencer career to have some kind of link to knitting. I'm not yet sure how. But that would feel like the biggest pack intergration. Maybe just social interactions, like critiqueing or complimenting the clothes. Or have the style influencer find inspiration in hand-knitted things. They are unique.

Also: I would love to have an interaction for asking your mother or grandma to repair socks etc. because you never learned to knit. That's also a very realistic thing for me :'). Maybe you can wear out clothing?
  • PiitiiPebblesPiitiiPebbles Posts: 2 New Member
    Oh! Can I just mention one other thing?

I think a lot of people have knitted while they were still very young. It would be awesome if toddlers could practise knitting, too. It would be a great bonding opportunity and make for more meaningful interactions. You could link it to movement skill? I understand knitting is creative, but motor skills are also very important. Or don't link it to any skill and just make attention need go up.
  • MizoreYukiiMizoreYukii Posts: 6,566 Member
    I'm not a knitter but I want to throw in my own 2 cents. xD

Q1 I think knitting should give fame, but not for general crafting unless the item is sold. Especially if they donate the knitted objects, unless it's anonymous (another good idea), some people do become known for that and make it onto TV for an interview, etc. So I think as long as the knitted item is given or sold in a way that brings fame, then it should give fame. Other crosspack ideas is laundry, some of the above suggestions for it were a great idea and I agree with. I'd love to see a club option with the required details (too many other packs completely ignored the club system when they released), and for sure knitted items should keep us warm during winter (and in turn make us too hot in summer). Being able to sell them in the ways you mentioned, and more if available, are good ideas too. I can't really think of any other crosspack though. Maybe, and not a crosspack but more like crosspatch, allow us to somehow incorporate it with the stylist influencer career? Itchy sweaters aren't really trendy, could make it cause problems when trying to set trends.

Q2 I would be happy, as so far it doesn't look like we're getting many items to knit. I don't think there should be a lot of them though.

Q3 If we can maybe use the desk to add finishing details like...buttons or something and play a small role, sure, but otherwise I would rather all energy be focused on the knitting skill.

Q4 As I said, not a knitter, but I personally like it when things take a while in the game so they feel more life-like. And if people don't want the long wait, release a reward in the rewards store that makes people super knitters and get done in half the time or something. But different times for different projects based on detail, size, complexity, etc. would be a great idea as well.

Q5 I don't want them to stand for knitting unless it's completely optional and chosen by the player, not autonomous. We already have severe standing and musical chair issues that have yet to be addressed for weddings, movies, eating, etc....so I'd like to avoid making that worse, if possible (please). :grimace: Someone on the first page mentioned sitting on the floor though, I'm very interested in something like that, both for knitting and as something I can use as a modder.

Q6 I'd like to see the mentor interaction make them pull out yarn, maybe a book sometimes, showing the kid how to do stuff and the kid observing, maybe asking questions every now and then. And, I'd love to see the kid (or anyone) eventually start their first project and the mentor can come over and give tips that will maybe increase the quality of the final project (I hope we can actually fail knitting projects, like back in the Sims 2 days with sewing), etc.

Q7 Again, not a knitter, but I adore this idea. Being able to create a website, or use a sim-like Etsy (Simetsy? :lol:), would be an awesome detail. Allow us to take items and mark a price, place a page up on the website, and then randomized time before it sells (selling instantly would break the immersion), maybe get a review back that can determine sales. Ah, that would be so cool!

Q8 Omg, I'm so looking forward to the itchy sweaters. Please add an itchy buff to (some) of the sweaters, similar to the mood buffs on animal hats and other costumes. :joy: So maybe a random trait (like fruitcake) that can determine if they breakout in rashes, a bath to fix it (or doctor visit, or ointment, but I know that would increase budget), and maybe an option to complain about the sweater to people. A scratching idle would be funny, but that might get annoying fast if the time between them isn't spread out far enough (like laundry idles). Can't really think of anything else unfortunately.

Q9 I don't know any knitting puns, I'm sorry. :sweat_smile:

Q10 I would support autonomous "Teach to Knit" if the receiving sim had a hidden trait that determined if they would like knitting, or visible traits like Creative or Art Lover. Maybe in addition the relationship level of the sims determines if they try to teach or not (so 50 or more). Or, another idea is to test based on the teacher's traits (this might be better). Loner, Evil, Self-absorbed, Jealous, Paranoid, Noncommittal, etc. sims are probably not going to teach. Bro, Outgoing, Family-oriented, Art Lover, Creative, Cheerful, etc. sims might if they also test for the relationship level (to keep the autonomy down). These two options are the only way I can see autonomy working that also make sense, and without being a mess later on.
  • EsiaEsia Posts: 67 Member
    Q1: I would love to have an influencer who got famous by knitting and posting photos/ selling stuff on etsy.

Q2: As a knitter I would feel kind of weird seeing crochet stuff made by knitting needles. But I have nothing agains stuff that combines both knitting and crochet being made on needles.

Q3: I knit at a computer desk xD I often have my design before my eyes and then Netflix on the second screen,

Q4: Small stuff takes just a few hours, a sweater can take even a few weeks to finish. It really depends on a size.

Q5: wITH YARN IN THE FLOOR? wHERE IT WILL GET DIRTY???

Q6: I once hosted a knitting party, where i taught my friends how to knit <3 It was super fun. First I showed them how it's done, then I was helping them only when something went wrong.

Q7: I once had a client who never gave me their size and then was mad when mittens were too big. He send them back and I made a refound, but it was kind of weird. I imagine trouble with bad communication happens often. I also remember some wholesome moments when one person ordered Doctor Who themes gloves and scarves for a whole family as a gift or when one person asked me to write a letter and add it to the mittens she was buying from me for her friend. Not etsy related but I also once had a pleasure of making an art trade with an artist I really look up to, he gave me his graphics with autographes for a pair of gloves with Cthulhu thet I designed and he really loved them. I think maybe you can add this element of interactions between artists in some way? maybe an option to make an art trade via internet?

Q8: That's a potential for crossover with Seasons to get sim feeling too warm! Also I imagine it having egative effect on trend-setters, maybe also on stars? Being seen in ugly clothing must not be good for fame.

Q9: Not a pun, but I have seen a tattoo with "Knit fast, die warm" I love it.

Q10: I don't feel like this should be autonomous, I only teach people who ask me to ;)
  • GwinielGwiniel Posts: 996 Member
    A1: Retail, Clubs and Yard Sale are all solid crosspack activities. I'd also like to see them as Uni classes or as kids'/teens' school project to do at home (if they can knit at all). How about, if witches and wizards could get a spell to make a knitted item?

A2: If that's the only way to get crocheted items craftable, then I don't mind, if the animation doesn't look correct. I'd die for crocheted doilies on tables, curtains and floor rugs!!!!!

A3: I personally find knitting in front of desk straining for the body unless I lean back on the chair away from the desk basically just having the yarn/yarns on the desk. I prefer knitting on a couch or an armchair. However, knitting in front of a desk is like knitting in school so I wouldn't dismiss the idea.

A4: Everything depends of complexity and how fine the yarn is. Even a pair of knitted socks can take up to a week or two for me to make, if I knit an elaborate pattern(s). Basic 1 color socks usually take a day or two. Same goes with mittens, gloves, hats and scarves. Bigger items like jerseys takes several weeks. I agree it should take longer than painting does in the game.

A5: I wouldn't mind, if a sim stands and knits, if there's no available seating.

A6: My mom was excellent in knitting and crocheting but in my youth I had no interest towards crafts, so for me the forced learning in school was terrible experience, which ended up in cheating - mom made the hard parts for me. I found my love for crocheting and knitting in mid twenties and I learned it very quickly and it came very naturally. I don't want to boast but people have told me I have very beautiful knitting and crocheting "mark/trace" (don't know what it's called in English... like a handwriting but in knitting/crocheting). I'd love have "teach to knit" interaction in the game. It can simply be that the 2 sims sit on couch together and the "teacher" knits slowly while talking and the learning sim follows with random failures and frustration. The teaching sim can then take the work on her/his hands to correct the mistakes and explain what went wrong and calm down the one learning. Then they would continue the knitting. It would be great, if the teacher could teach 2 skill points.. 1st point as basic know-how and the 2nd point for easy patterns etc.

A7: Umm.. not sure what the question means (no idea what Etsy is). If it's about charity, knitting goes well for that. I've knitted baby socks for newborns to our local hospital in the past as an example. There could be donations for orphans for example in the game. Maybe pet stuff for a shelter. Clothes for elderly and or poor. Maybe some "soccer-mom" type thing that does volunteer knitting for some kids' activity like scouts, some sport team etc.

A8: No idea... Recycling as in giving to donation or dissembling the sweater and use the yarn for own projects.

A9: Have none.

A10: No. I'd prefer, if you can either use the level 10 knitter sim to "manually" teach the other sims by my command or have a playable sim ask for said level 10 knitter to teach my sim by my command. I wouldn't want the knitter to try teaching everyone while I'm busy playing another household member at work for example.
  • Alex_13Alex_13 Posts: 3 New Member
    Q1: Seasons - craft cold weather accessories (hats scarves mittens etc)
    Cats and dogs - the cats can play with the yarn ball
    Realm of magic : magic needles that knit by themselves
    Parenthood : knitting the newborn’s clothes when someone from your household is expecting a baby

Q2: ok

Q3: they can knit siting in front of the desk but don’t limit it to just that ( I prefer knitting sitting in a chair or bed ). Newbies in knitting can sit in front of the desk while watching tutorials on the pc (that’s what I did while learning)
    How about a sewing machine for that desk ? Then we could have the option of “ripped jeans/socks” which would bring an embarrassment moodlet and will be gone by sewing your pants or changing clothes (something like the wet clothes from laundry pack). Something like that would make the sims clothes feel more real and part of the gameplay

Q4: depends on how big or complicated the item is. For the shake of realism in sims time it should take less time than writing a book or making an app and more than a painting - as you mentioned

Q5: I wouldn’t knit standing, it’s something that requires focus and time so doesn’t make sense to be standing

Q6: I used to help my grandma wind the yearn Into a ball, it’s something that kids can even help with and maybe some of them get a bored moodlet (?)
    As for teaching in general, local shops that sale knitting supplies schedule weekly workshops of knitting lessons . Something like that would be cool to have in game

Q7 : Kids that join the scouts could make donations or yard sales of items them knit themselves or with their grandparents

Q8 : uncomfortable

Q9 : ?

Q10: I don’t like the idea of autonomous mentoring/teaching , unless there was a mechanism that would ensure the other sim’s reaction according to their personality/ gameplay (for example a sim who’s not a fan of knitting can reject to be taught). Otherwise everyone would pick up skills that may not match their personality
  • CaptainElsaCaptainElsa Posts: 226 Member
    I wayyyy over thought this:

Q1: Can there be a new knitting spell to use with Realm of Magic? I like replacing things with spells and knitting via magic has been a big trope in movies and television.

Q2:Awesome!!!!!

Q3: Nah, who knits at a desk?

Q4: I would get annoyed if it takes more than a few days in the game.

Q5: I would be worried, based on gameplay issues with weddings for example, that standing would be the default and then we’d have to wait for a mod that makes them sit.

Q8: Rashes, frustrated buffs, the relieve of a bath

Q10: I think it’s more important to choose who gets to knit. I say this as a “sit back and watch” player (ie I’ll often just leave the game running autonomously while I do something else and come back and see what happened).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top