Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This silent treatment is the worst

Comments

• Behappy1stBehappy1st Posts: 711 Member
    If we stoped buying in protest, they might stop making. I think thats the fear of a lot of simmers. That they just might go on to the next thing and leave us hanging.
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Voting with your wallet is the only advice to follow. If you're putting up with the months of silent treatment to eventually buy the low effort pack they took forever to release, you're only supporting the behavior/tactic.

• NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    The Sims 3's performance issues are obscenely exaggerated. I have installed and played the game in over 8 different PCs over the years and I never had major performance issues (playing with every pack at that time and with tons of CC). The only mod you really "need" is NRaas Overwatch, though using the command "resetSim *" every day works more or less the same (it won't delete spawned cars though).

I even installed The Sims 3 with EVERY EXPANSION PACK on my mom's ANCIENT PC two years ago and she played for a year before I bought her a new gaming PC. I'm talking about a DUAL CORE 3 Ghz CPU and a GTS 250 GPU. No SSD. The game ran fairly well at around 45-55 FPS (with v-sync enabled) and little to no simulation lag. Loading was fairly long though (around 5 minutes).

TS3 probably rans worse on newer hardware because the game doesn't recognize your CPU or GPU and assigns your CPU the lowest level (even if your CPU is really powerful) and only 32 MB of texture memory to your GPU (even if it has 2-4 GB of memory). The GraphicsCards.sgr file needs to be edited to add newer graphics card (you can use a program to do this really quickly) and the GraphicRules.sgr needs to be edited to change the CPU level so it gives the max score to all CPUs. It literally takes 5 minutes to do this and you're good for a long time.

I find it DISGUSTING that EA would update the game to include a stupid warning no to use every pack, force players to use the Launcher and Origin to play the game, and don't even update the fricking graphics card database to include newer GPUs. It's almost as if they were TRYING to turn people away from playing TS3 so they can buy and play the newer game (even if it's arguably worse).
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Naus wrote: »
    The Sims 3's performance issues are obscenely exaggerated. I have installed and played the game in over 8 different PCs over the years and I never had major performance issues (playing with every pack at that time and with tons of CC). The only mod you really "need" is NRaas Overwatch, though using the command "resetSim *" every day works more or less the same (it won't delete spawned cars though).

I even installed The Sims 3 with EVERY EXPANSION PACK on my mom's ANCIENT PC two years ago and she played for a year before I bought her a new gaming PC. I'm talking about a DUAL CORE 3 Ghz CPU and a GTS 250 GPU. No SSD. The game ran fairly well at around 45-55 FPS (with v-sync enabled) and little to no simulation lag. Loading was fairly long though (around 5 minutes).

TS3 probably rans worse on newer hardware because the game doesn't recognize your CPU or GPU and assigns your CPU the lowest level (even if your CPU is really powerful) and only 32 MB of texture memory to your GPU (even if it has 2-4 GB of memory). The GraphicsCards.sgr file needs to be edited to add newer graphics card (you can use a program to do this really quickly) and the GraphicRules.sgr needs to be edited to change the CPU level so it gives the max score to all CPUs. It literally takes 5 minutes to do this and you're good for a long time.

I find it DISGUSTING that EA would update the game to include a stupid warning no to use every pack, force players to use the Launcher and Origin to play the game, and don't even update the fricking graphics card database to include newer GPUs. It's almost as if they were TRYING to turn people away from playing TS3 so they can buy and play the newer game (even if it's arguably worse).

Interesting because I brought a powerful MSI computer with intentions of running ts4 and ts3 at max graphics and full cc. Sims 4 of course runs fine but I kept having trouble with ts3. I would get crashes and it kept saying insufficient memory and stuff and I'm like uhhhhh.... I got the latest pc....... it should play an old game. So after doing research I learned everything you just said. After adjusting the CPU,GPU and graphics and stuff I have no problems running it without crashes and minimal lag. And the HQ mod installed.

I kept wondering what's up with that pop up warning that keeps trying to uncheck my packs automatically. I think it's silly I paid all that money to get all the packs and they expect me to play without some. I'm disappointed I got the latest update version. I keep hearing the 1.67 version was better.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    edited March 2020

I NEVER knew this! I read every advice forum on how to run TS3 smoothly and this advice only came up for TS2! Thank you for bringing this up!
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member

Can you make a tutorial.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited March 2020
    @Horrorgirl6 search 'steam performance guide for sims 3' in google and follow the steps. This, together with nraas mods, and the game runs really smooth. I have 8 eps and all stuff packs in a very very old pc and i have no lag at all. My game is in origin and it's the 1.69 version. The guide refers to the 1.67 steam version, but there's no issue with that. It works!
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    The Sims 3's performance issues are obscenely exaggerated.

Back in the day it WAS badly optimized and the minimum hardware specs were very optimistic, let's say. On the other hand virtually all games of that era had very optimistic hardware specs because they sold more games that way. I never had an issue back then with Sims 3 but I had a decent machine for the time.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    It must be doubly difficult to bring out new stuff when all the staff are working from home and some might be suffering from Covid-19 and unable to work. I'm amazed that anybody is complaining but I suppose the virus hasn't really hit the fan in some places yet.

Keep well everybody. <3

Covid-19 only became a problem just recently. How about all the time before that? What was the staff doing before lockdown???

Yup! Everything you wrote is true! They lie about TS3 over and over because they don't want people to choose TS3 over TS4. The same reason why they don't want to re-release TS2. If new players are ever exposed to these two wonderful iterations, they're not going to want a watered down TS5 that takes minimum effort but will be priced at maximum. I noticed when there are threads about what you want in TS5, the people who only played TS4 would only ask for all these watered down features - they have no idea what a true sim game is capable of as it was with TS3 and TS2.

Interesting because I brought a powerful MSI computer with intentions of running ts4 and ts3 at max graphics and full cc. Sims 4 of course runs fine but I kept having trouble with ts3. I would get crashes and it kept saying insufficient memory and stuff and I'm like uhhhhh.... I got the latest pc....... it should play an old game. So after doing research I learned everything you just said. After adjusting the CPU,GPU and graphics and stuff I have no problems running it without crashes and minimal lag. And the HQ mod installed.

I kept wondering what's up with that pop up warning that keeps trying to uncheck my packs automatically. I think it's silly I paid all that money to get all the packs and they expect me to play without some. I'm disappointed I got the latest update version. I keep hearing the 1.67 version was better.

I really love reading your posts about your experience with TS3! I love that when you find a problem with TS3 that you don't just come over to this forum and whine and complain about it - you actually look for solutions and actually get it fixed! You've discovered what every TS3 player has - TS3 is a very highly playable game and not as buggy or laggy as the haters say!

If you have the spare cash, you can get TS3 and all its packs (except the Katy Perry SP - I have it, you're not missing much, lol!) at Steam during the summer and Christmas sale at a very good discount - sometimes they even provide the entire collection for even bigger discount. With the Steam version, you can prevent the game from updating to 1.69 and keep it at 1.67.

Also consider telmarina's advice below:
    telmarina wrote: »
    @Horrorgirl6 search 'steam performance guide for sims 3' in google and follow the steps. This, together with nraas mods, and the game runs really smooth. I have 8 eps and all stuff packs in a very very old pc and i have no lag at all. My game is in origin and it's the 1.69 version. The guide refers to the 1.67 steam version, but there's no issue with that. It works!

Here is the link: The Sims 3 | Performance & Bug Fix Guide 2020

@ClarionOfJoy thanks for adding the link :)

You are so right! If only Sims 2 was available to buy and people knew that sims's 3 problems are fixed in 10 minutes...
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

EA did The Sims 3 so dirty. Naus is correct the game doesn’t like newer hardware it was never updated to recognize. That’s slimey on EA’s part since they still sell Sims 3 on their digital store.

The pack selector broke the game. I went from no major issues to constant major issues from that patch, and I doubt that was an accident on EA’s part. The idea that I’d turn off a $40 dlc (or several) makes no sense to me. I bought it, the least the company needs to do at this point is make sure I can use it all.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    edited March 2020
    It must be doubly difficult to bring out new stuff when all the staff are working from home and some might be suffering from Covid-19 and unable to work. I'm amazed that anybody is complaining but I suppose the virus hasn't really hit the fan in some places yet.

Keep well everybody. <3

Covid-19 only became a problem just recently. How about all the time before that? What was the staff doing before lockdown???

Covid-19 has been a problem they were probably expecting since Wuhan's epidemic first started, I expect intelligent company CEOs have been preparing for lockdown for weeks past and everything has been slowed down. It's an unseen enemy and not a "Zombie Apocalypse" and very real. 7 members of the same family have had it in New Jersey and 4 of them dead. Computer games are not important in this crisis.

I'm not complaining in these circumstances but being patient but I am one of those having to self isolate because I would probably die of it. That's more important to me than a computer game. You could try out a new mod instead?

At least I've got an online shop coming today though as I thought ahead and booked before the rush. Only two items unavailable so there's no lack of supplies here.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member

You are so right! If only Sims 2 was available to buy and people knew that sims's 3 problems are fixed in 10 minutes...

I find this irrelevant. (Yes, I have TS3 and yes I still play it). People shouldn't have to mod to fix their games that they've paid for. It's actually just that simple.

Although in the case of TS3 I will cut some slack as it's an older game, but they shouldn't be selling it if they aren't going to support it. :/

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    edited March 2020
    I don't expect EA to give us any news for the time being. If they want to, that's great, but I think they (and we) should have bigger priorities at the moment. I'm not sure whether we should still expect a patch this month though obviously bug fixes and anything else they choose to give us is always welcome.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
    edited March 2020

Keep well everybody. <3

Covid-19 has been a problem they were probably expecting since Wuhan's epidemic first started, I expect intelligent company CEOs have been preparing for lockdown for weeks past and everything has been slowed down. It's an unseen enemy and not a "Zombie Apocalypse" and very real. 7 members of the same family have had it in New Jersey and 4 of them dead. Computer games are not important in this crisis.

I'm not complaining in these circumstances but being patient but I am one of those having to self isolate because I would probably die of it. That's more important to me than a computer game. You could try out a new mod instead?

At least I've got an online shop coming today though as I thought ahead and booked before the rush. Only two items unavailable so there's no lack of supplies here.

The first known case was in November or December. I traveled overseas in January and even at that time, the airports were unaware of it, no quarantine of any kind. I became aware of it in February, just monitoring it. In early March I went to a friend's big party, people were still going out and about doing their usual whatever. No one was worried. It is only recent that everyone is going into lockdown and quarantine at airports is in place for those traveling from certain countries. So it was very fast. I doubt very much that EAxis is silent because they knew about the Covid-19 virus and went into lockdown ahead of everyone else.

We're just wondering why they're so quiet lately. I'm glad you're safe though. :smile:

Camkat wrote: »

I find this irrelevant. (Yes, I have TS3 and yes I still play it). People shouldn't have to mod to fix their games that they've paid for. It's actually just that simple.

Although in the case of TS3 I will cut some slack as it's an older game, but they shouldn't be selling it if they aren't going to support it. :/

But even in the state that TS3 is in, it is still honestly better than TS4. I'm glad that they're still selling it. Otherwise, we would have TS4 as a the ONLY option. And that's a frightening thought..... :#

• CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member

But even in the state that TS3 is in, it is still honestly better than TS4. I'm glad that they're still selling it. Otherwise, we would have TS4 as a the ONLY option. And that's a frightening thought..... :#

I sound like I disagree, but I actually am glad that it's still an option available as well. I do like the game, and I do like it better than TS4. Just be nice if they would iron out some of the problems.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member

Yup! Everything you wrote is true! They lie about TS3 over and over because they don't want people to choose TS3 over TS4. The same reason why they don't want to re-release TS2. If new players are ever exposed to these two wonderful iterations, they're not going to want a watered down TS5 that takes minimum effort but will be priced at maximum. I noticed when there are threads about what you want in TS5, the people who only played TS4 would only ask for all these watered down features - they have no idea what a true sim game is capable of as it was with TS3 and TS2.

I really love reading your posts about your experience with TS3! I love that when you find a problem with TS3 that you don't just come over to this forum and whine and complain about it - you actually look for solutions and actually get it fixed! You've discovered what every TS3 player has - TS3 is a very highly playable game and not as buggy or laggy as the haters say!

If you have the spare cash, you can get TS3 and all its packs (except the Katy Perry SP - I have it, you're not missing much, lol!) at Steam during the summer and Christmas sale at a very good discount - sometimes they even provide the entire collection for even bigger discount. With the Steam version, you can prevent the game from updating to 1.69 and keep it at 1.67.

Also consider telmarina's advice below:

Here is the link: The Sims 3 | Performance & Bug Fix Guide 2020

Thank you I will try it.

Yeah, that would be the ideal situation, but Im glad i can play even having to mod the game :)
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

I never had problem with performance of Sims 3 except when it was developers error like the AMB patch and IP and there were others that was due to developers coding. I also agree Sims 3 did not ID some GPUs correctly and one had to go in and make the correction themselves. EA/Maxis also did not squash bugs or even tweak the game as often as they should have. Imho Sims 3 did lose some of that pizzazz that Sims 2 possessed but the features for me made up for that. Then comes along Sims 4 and it goes back in time with some of it's features and cut majority if not all features and replaced them with features which for me are lackluster and an awfully boring base game. Some parts of Sims 4 improved over time but it still lacks major features and I do not expect Open World or open Neighborhood to make an comeback but as it looks like editing neighborhoods, create lots or neighborhoods will never be in Sims 4, almost every pack other than SPs appear to be gimped or restricted. I am supposed to think Sims 4 has an lot going for it when for me it just don't and I cannot give kudos for something that I feel can do or be better. Sims 4 for me is cooked and done and only see minor additions here and there.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member

Keep well everybody. <3

I don't think anyone is expecting Maxis/EA to do anything now. I know I expect nothing of them, not even entertainment from the game itself to distract me from the mess going on.

In fact, now that we're on the topic, I would not be able to tell the difference between Maxis on a regular basis and Maxis during a pandemic.
  • AlexaKryAlexaKry Posts: 2,706 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

Keep well everybody. <3

I don't think anyone is expecting Maxis/EA to do anything now. I know I expect nothing of them, not even entertainment from the game itself to distract me from the mess going on.

In fact, now that we're on the topic, I would not be able to tell the difference between Maxis on a regular basis and Maxis during a pandemic.

At least they have an excuse to be silent now! ;)
  • LukeLuke Posts: 642 Member
    I won't tell someone to stop playing the game ... but, when someone shows you who they are, you should believe them.

There are other studios/games out there that care much more about the art that they produce and want it to be an enjoyable experience for us as much as it is for them. I would rather dedicate my time and resources to supporting those studios/developers than a studio that is just a corporate money making machine.

I think the era of The Sims is over. That's just my humble opinion as someone who has been here since the creation of TS1. Maybe the newer generation doesn't care as much about the flaws in TS4 ... but I guarantee you that there are other games out there much more captivating for today's generation and much more dedicated to bringing a cool experience to its audience that will trump TS4 any day of the week.

The Sims used to be that game. It no longer is. The game isn't what it used to be, and that's alright. I say we just let it go at this point. Paralives is out there. I say it's time to let someone else take over for the life-sim genre because EA is too incompetent. But to each their own.
    Origin ID: Derpiez
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2020
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    mirta000 wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    My experience is that when we love doing something, we make time. And yes, not ‘anyone’, Sims 3 players experience the difference.

Well I'm a The Sims 3 player, just that I don't remember the life before the patch. I mean it's been like over 6 years :)

As for the first statement, I feel like that's unfair. Streaming/ let's playing on Youtube should be seen as already "making time" because there are normally other real life responsibilities that people got to attend to, even if Youtube becomes their primary job. If this was said to me, I would feel that it's heavily unfair that you're judged for requiring rest and self care after all your household stuff and regular social media stuff is done, instead of finding time to play more video games.
    I've never played with patch 1.69, I just hear it causes a lot of problems I don't have. At first I thought it just meant having to play through the launcher, but now I hear talk of constant crashes when you play with all packs? If you play the game with all packs without any issues the rumours may not be true. The statement (disclaimer even) it's impossible to play Sims 3 with everything installed just really is not true. My game proves it every time I play (for hours and hours) ;)

As for my first statement, sure, maybe they indeed don't have time to play video games. It would mean being a YouTuber is a busier life than having a regular job? We all have household stuff and regular social media stuff don't we? But apart from that, rumour has it a lot of them do manage to play Sims 2 and/or 3 for fun and other games.

I spent years avoiding the 1.69 patch because of all the horror stories about the problems it caused people. I finally had to update when I got a new laptop for christmas last year and had to switch my game over. So far I play the game with all packs installed, quite a big chunk of store content, and a few nraas mods for story progression purposes and my game runs just fine. It even runs better that it did on my old laptop with no mods installed without the update. I now have no idea why I avoided the darn thing in the first place.🤷‍♀️ Maybe it just depends on the computer?
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • OmairaOmaira Posts: 666 Member

Keep well everybody. <3

Correction: Computer games are VERY important at this time. It keeps morale up and keeps us busy while in isolation. Otherwise we would be going mad by now. Books, hobbies, (Like knitting and crocheting) Forums to chat and all of that is actually what is giving us a sense of normality that it is extremely important NOW!