Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Traits Evaluation by Carl (Game Changer)

HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
The Worst Sim. What’s it like playing Sims with ALL the BAD traits in The Sims 4?

https://youtu.be/bsj6KWKifB0

By EA Game Changer, Carl.
wB2Zykl.jpg
Post edited by Hestia on

Comments

• HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    [ Reserved ]

I’ll upload how a Sim reacts when they are in a negative mood or have negative traits from The Sims 1/2/3.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    His end comment is bang on. None of the sims feel unique. I've said that all along as a rotational player. And it's all candy floss and bubblegum.
    It immediately reminded me of one of my favorite songs from my youth......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXPLtVfv9xE

(nice legs, shame about the face)

Except in sims 4 it's the opposite. Nice face, shame about the legs. Sims 4 is pretty, but it has no legs. Nothing to stand on.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    We been knew.
  • JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    In my opinion, this is the biggest issue I have with this game and I believe it was done on purpose. This to me was not a design flaw on their part as I think they intended to make a make game that auto defaults to happy, go lucky, utopian existence for all sims. Traits are useless and the emotions are so easily manipulated and out of whack to again, default to happiness. Even if something negative occurs, it doesn’t matter because the sims don’t remember it and go back to “everything is just great and cool”. You should have to work hard to be happy and successful but in this game that comes free and you actually have to work hard to get a momentary burst of drama that doesn’t last and goes forgotten by all. 🤷🏽‍♀️
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I like how Carl proved a lot of our points. Traits do not matter and they really should. Why do we bother with them at all then?

Emotions override anything anyways, even if the traits did do something. Emotions need to be turned down (especially happy) and they will have to work on some animations and interactions to make the traits actually useful, and program them into the autonomy so that sims actually do things related to their traits. I don't think I see this team fixing this game anymore. It's been 6 years. It has been complained about this entire time. It should have been done at launch or fixed within the first year (and that's being generous IMO). I would however love them to prove me wrong.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    IMHO it's not the traits themselves that is the problem, but rather small amount of them.
    If we could have 5 traits instead of 3, it would be much better IMO.
    Additionally, there are not that many of them to begin with.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • kusurusukusurusu Posts: 971 Member
    @ArcherDK Have you even seen the video. Carl used a mod so his Sim can have more (negative) traits and it still didn't help.
    My SuperSim Collection: Rosetta Stone · Sona Ali
    edited March 2020
    kusurusu wrote: »
    @ArcherDK Have you even seen the video. Carl used a mod so his Sim can have more (negative) traits and it still didn't help.
    Exactly! I believe he used the mod to give his sim all the negative personality traits plus he also tacked on the negative character value traits available and it had no real effect! While hating children and being uncommitted he managed to get engaged and married in no time. One would think that living a life that’s disproportionate to what a sims traits are that this would cause major unhappiness and discomfort, but nope. The default is always “happy”. Essentially these traits tigger animations that are specific to that trait but that’s it. They have no lasting effect, consequence or are they even remembered.
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    @kusurusu Yes, I did see the video. I'm not saying that the system is good.
    I myself use certain mods that change the way emotions and traits work.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
    JoBass24us wrote: »
    Exactly! I believe he used the mod to give his sim all the negative personality traits plus he also tacked on the negative character value traits available and it had no real effect! While hating children and being uncommitted he managed to get engaged and married in no time. One would think that living a life that’s disproportionate to what a sims traits are that this would cause major unhappiness and discomfort, but nope. The default is always “happy”. Essentially these traits tigger animations that are specific to that trait but that’s it. They have no lasting effect, consequence or are they even remembered.

As to what I bolded above, I see it differently. The traits really only trigger when an emotion with happen. But it's the same emotion for all sims. The trait triggers outdoor lovers to get tense if they haven't been outside.
    The trait triggers materialists to get tense if they haven't bought something new.
    The trait triggers geeks to get tense if they haven't played video games.
    -ambitious sims to get tense if they haven't had a promotion.
    - creative sims to get tense if they haven't painted etc.
    and on and on it goes. And why it's so dang boring to play.

All sims pout when they are sad, some just get sad more than others. All sims slam the fridge and stomp when they are angry, some just get angry more often than others. The animations aren't specific to a trait. All sims have them based on the emotion they are in, and they all get emotions regardless of traits.

fullspiral wrote: »

As to what I bolded above, I see it differently. The traits really only trigger when an emotion with happen. But it's the same emotion for all sims. The trait triggers outdoor lovers to get tense if they haven't been outside.
    The trait triggers materialists to get tense if they haven't bought something new.
    The trait triggers geeks to get tense if they haven't played video games.
    -ambitious sims to get tense if they haven't had a promotion.
    - creative sims to get tense if they haven't painted etc.
    and on and on it goes. And why it's so dang boring to play.

All sims pout when they are sad, some just get sad more than others. All sims slam the fridge and stomp when they are angry, some just get angry more often than others. The animations aren't specific to a trait. All sims have them based on the emotion they are in, and they all get emotions regardless of traits.

You are speaking about the personality traits, so yes in that regard agree! Yet still fill a room with emotional aura objects and those emotions are so easily manipulated that the they become meaningless. So traits are just another manipulation system for sim emotions. Character value traits, at least from what I’ve seen in my game do absolutely nothing but trigger an animation. My sim has been happy and suddenly she’s having a tantrum for no apparent reason. The trait itself says, that sims with uncontrolled emotions won’t be able to relieve their negative emotions as fast as other sims. I have not seen that in game. My sim relieves hers quite easily and quickly.

Just now she was dancing and having a great time in her bake shop. Stopped, had a tantrum, and continued on happy ringing up customers 🤷🏽‍♀️

@fullspiral and the funny thing is I was playing TS3 yesterday and I always like giving my sims a negative trait cause I think it makes for more fun. I gave her the hot headed trait but I had forgotten this (maybe I’ve played 4 too much lol) but I had ask someone on a date and meet at the theater. She arrives and some sim thought she was cute but her hot headed ness took hold and she just chewed him out. Then her date showed up and she goes to him, proceeds to berate him and accuse of cheating!!! I couldn’t understand it! I thought she was nuts. So I dug and went into his household only to find out he was dating Molly French, her coworker! So I guess he deserved it but they hate each other now. He called crazy basically and she was furious! Still, is! I guess that’s what traits should do! Influence sim behavior past fleeting emotions. Made for a fun play session I tell ya. Lol
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    @fullspiral and the funny thing is I was playing TS3 yesterday and I always like giving my sims a negative trait cause I think it makes for more fun. I gave her the hot headed trait but I had forgotten this (maybe I’ve played 4 too much lol) but I had ask someone on a date and meet at the theater. She arrives and some sim thought she was cute but her hot headed ness took hold and she just chewed him out. Then her date showed up and she goes to him, proceeds to berate him and accuse of cheating!!! I couldn’t understand it! I thought she was nuts. So I dug and went into his household only to find out he was dating Molly French, her coworker! So I guess he deserved it but they hate each other now. He called crazy basically and she was furious! Still, is! I guess that’s what traits should do! Influence sim behavior past fleeting emotions. Made for a fun play session I tell ya. Lol

I loved when this kind of things happened in sims 3. We were in charge of the simulation but we were simulating the life of sims with their own personality! It was a real challenge to make a hot headed popular hahah and if we weren't up for this kind of challenge then we could just don't give sims this kind of traits...
    Highlighted Responses

y2akAy3.png

RUedq9f.png

grpuybg.png

y4u8GwA.png

2eIJY4D.png
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Very good that someone as respected as Carl (everyone at some point check his lots of tutorials and content) raise his voice about this issues.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I have an evil sim with the argumentative and insensitive traits and he's a loving father and rarely causes any aggro.
  • ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    ArcherDK wrote: »
    @kusurusu Yes, I did see the video. I'm not saying that the system is good.
    I myself use certain mods that change the way emotions and traits work.

What mods do you use? I’m trying to find some to use that work on these areas.

edited March 2020
    @ThePinkBookGirl I’d like to suggest Meaningful Stories by roBurky. If you want further customization, add Slice of Life on top of it.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited March 2020
    In my opinion, this is the biggest issue I have with this game and I believe it was done on purpose. This to me was not a design flaw on their part as I think they intended to make a make game that auto defaults to happy, go lucky, utopian existence for all sims. Traits are useless and the emotions are so easily manipulated and out of whack to again, default to happiness. Even if something negative occurs, it doesn’t matter because the sims don’t remember it and go back to “everything is just great and cool”. You should have to work hard to be happy and successful but in this game that comes free and you actually have to work hard to get a momentary burst of drama that doesn’t last and goes forgotten by all. 🤷🏽‍♀️

I completely agree with you on that this was done on purpose. They have never even addressed these major issues on The sims 4 and they keep trying to cover it with decoration stuff that means nothing. If they truly wanted to fix it, they would have done it a hundred times already, cause they can. They just refuse to, cause The sims 4 was designed to be shallow, taking control of base elements and from there let the player 'decide' and it's target seems to be taking away the meaning of togetherness, family play and a let us getting used to a very VERY egocentric vibe. Isn't that what the world looks like nowadays? People act like what they see.
    edited March 2020

I completely agree with you on that this was done on purpose. They have never even addressed these major issues on The sims 4 and they keep trying to cover it with decoration stuff that means nothing. If they truly wanted to fix it, they would have done it a hundred times already, cause they can. They just refuse to, cause The sims 4 was designed to be shallow, taking control of base elements and from there let the player 'decide' and it's target seems to be taking away the meaning of togetherness, family play and a let us getting used to a very VERY egocentric vibe. Isn't that what the world looks like nowadays? People act like what they see.

Exactly! The whims system? Completely useless! Their remedy? Auto disable it, don’t update it and let them toggle it on if they wish to use something that means nothing. That action right there is indicative of what you just mentioned, they are not going to improve it or fix it. Modders have done it, not to perfection, but at least they’ve tried to tune it and have it make a bit more sense. Five years in and it’s all fluff, very little substance to much of it. It’s a beautiful game and I wish I could play it more, but it’s hard to find enjoyment in it when there’s is no uniqueness to any of the sims. I see no randomness, no surprises, no moments of why did that sim just do that? Let me stop before I derail OP’s thread, but I’m sure you get where I’m going lol!