Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Who cares about whims? (Like i do)

I really love having this small, medium or big goals that show up because of traits, aspiration, skills and relationships (life experience i would say). I don't make my game all around it but i like to have it. Its somehow a way to connect with sims, especially if its well done and complex enough.
Ive noticed that this has been kind of abandoned. I miss it, it has been important for my gameplay since sims 2...
Do you care?

Comments

• Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Depends on a sim. If it's my primary (myself for all intents and purposes), then I mostly ignore them.
    For other sims whims are the key component of decision making and story writing.
    If a sim want to become a vampire many times, then perhaps this is serious and could be investigated
    Things like that.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    I had them turned off for a long while, because I don't fancy "do this, do that" too much. But then at one point I realized that none of my sims had ever bought reward traits, and especially those keeping the bills down was tempting. So, I checked who had already collected enough reward points, and started shopping. For those lacking just a few points I focused a bit on the whims.

I find the whims okay, but they can get boring too, especially as they seem to not include all new features/packs. If my sim get the same few whims over again I stop caring for them. Like buy this buy that is not as appealing to me as reaching a goal whether it is skills or relations. I like it when a couple get romantic whims, they are easy to do and some pay off decently, but I never had a sim whim about getting a child or getting married etc, I assume those pay off really well.

At the moment I have them on, but I don't pay attention to them.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I liked them. Now they often do not count as done. I don't know how to say it in english. My sim has a whim to kiss somebody. My sim kisses their SO. The whim is still there. Why?!
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    I love whims. I have a couple save games based on only completing whims. I started with an empty house and only bought stuff that my sim had a whim for. She only talked to other sims when she had a whim. She eventually got married when she had a whim for it. She only had children when she had a whim to try for a baby. Now the kids also have to only follow whims.
    My whole play style is based around whims so I've kinda lost interest in the sims 4 since they stopped adding them.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I love whims and wish they hadn't been forgotten about. I wish they weren't sometimes broken and that they were guided more by a sim's personality and less by random things like wanting a swimming pool square or a bee box.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I love whims. My game play revolved around them until they broke and seemingly got abandoned. Fulfilling my sims wishes felt good and it gave me an idea of things my sims wanted. I miss it very much.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited February 2020
    I think that whims should have a timer. Failure to complete a whim in a certain period of time should carry a penalty. With the emotion system being as important as it is perhaps a hefty emotional penalty. If we're being thorough, perhaps a penalty to job or relationship. That would be pretty cool, at least in my objectively wrong opinion.
  • Options
    beadierturtlebeadierturtle Posts: 295 Member
    The desire to sing, "The Lion Sleeps Tonight", is always but a whim away.

...a whim away, a whim away, a whim away...

Really though, I like the option. Makes it feel like the Sim is a person.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I was okay with whims until I realized that a majority of them were just 'buy this' 'buy that', and I got very bored of them. I began to ignore them. I want whims to be overhauled to be deeper than just frivolous wants. I get that that is what a "whim" is, but that's what bores me about them. They're so minor and insignificant, I want more for them.
  • Options
    HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    I love whims, I'm a player who likes the reward traits and building up the points to be able to slow down motives without cheats or have various perks/traits. Unfortunately, these were left to gather dust when they added the ability for players to turn them off. A shame really - I wish we had more, unique whims and that they weren't so repetitive.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    I'm neutral. I don't have them turned off but rarely pay any attention to them unless I unknowingly complete one.
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I used to like whims but don't pay attention to them much any more. They are broken. If I lock a whim it is never satisfied. If I leave a whim unlocked it may change before completed. For example: earn $50 in tips would change before my Sim has a chance to complete it. Fix the whims and I will pay more attention to them like I did in the past.
  • Options
    JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    I loved them in previous games and they would play a big role in the way I played my game and how I interpreted the sims personalities. Usually being the sole reason for me getting lost in the gameplay.

They are very lackluster in TS4 unfortunately :/
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • Options
    DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    I'd like them a lot more if they meant anything beyond a completely random roll that I could do better using a wheel roller to get better results. Yeah, you get whims for whatever aspiration you have, or a trait you have, but it's all so superficial. Do you know how many sims and how many times my sims have gotten the "buy a bee box"? That would make sense if my sim had the botanist aspiration, but every sim... ever?

No. Just no. Stop.

I just wish they were more tailored to my sim. Take the current skills into consideration (and I'm not talking about spamming my sim with "play for tips" a million times just because she picked up the guitar and got a half a skill point), relationships, career. I just wish it was more than just a random roll and you get some random whim that every sim you've ever had has seen and done a million times.

The only time I really have fun with whims is when my sim will be talking to a random sim and will get a whim to "kiss someone". I figure, that's my sims way of saying, "Hey, I'm interested in this sim... let's explore this". What I don't like is when every sim gets that all the time. Like, not every sim is a player. That gets old real quick.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I forgot about them. How do you even turn them back on?
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Its easy to forget about them in The Sims 4. They are just not powerful enough.
    I feel because of this, they will get rid of them in the next series which would be sad, cause it just needs to be worked on.

I loved them in The Sims 2 and they decided a big part of my story even though I play most of it on my own decisions. I liked to imagine that my sim was still not over that ex when I saw a whim about his/her ex even though it was a long time after.
    The thing is, it didn't happen all the time, it didn't feel random and it made sense. I felt the game was feeling my intentions, goals and play style. I hope this is something we can experience in The Next Game.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited February 2020
    Whims drive my gameplay. Rather than pulling all the strings myself, I like the sims themselves to tell me what they want, and that’s exactly what whims do for me. They take my story in (often) unexpected directions and keep the game interesting for me ( or used to, at least, back when I played).

With that said, I wish they had more variety.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    So_Money wrote: »
    Whims drive my gameplay. Rather than pulling all the strings myself, I like the sims themselves to tell me what they want, and that’s exactly what whims do for me.

I just wish they would finally fix them. They've been broken for months. :(
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited February 2020
    @elanorbreton It is somewhere in the game options. They're now turned off by default.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I like them when they’re relevant.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited February 2020
    telmarina wrote: »
    I really love having this small, medium or big goals that show up because of traits, aspiration, skills and relationships (life experience i would say). I don't make my game all around it but i like to have it. Its somehow a way to connect with sims, especially if its well done and complex enough.
    Ive noticed that this has been kind of abandoned. I miss it, it has been important for my gameplay since sims 2...
    Do you care?

yes a lot its my least favorite thing about the game now that they stopped making them
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I like whims, but will happily ignore them if I have some more immediate goal in mind. If I can meet them easily, I will. Sometimes I pin one down, but not often. Mood changes too often to worry too much about emotional "whims of color" over on the left-hand side. If I get to those, I get to those, but even crossing a room can bring me into or out of range of a mood-altering decor item and wipe the whim out, so I try not to get attached.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    So_Money wrote: »
    Whims drive my gameplay. Rather than pulling all the strings myself, I like the sims themselves to tell me what they want, and that’s exactly what whims do for me.

I just wish they would finally fix them. They've been broken for months. :(

I wouldn’t know, as I haven’t played in almost a year, but I’m not surprised they’re broken.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    I like whims, but I don't like how TS4 implements them.
    It does not feel like a whim from my sim. It's the game suggesting random things to do.
    I turned them off and just focus on aspirations for reward points.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    GdurmaGdurma Posts: 490 Member
    I love the whims. I hate the sound that they make when they're completed though.