Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dissapointment with latest sims interview

1235...Next

Comments

• Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member

I've not owned a mobile for seven years, I get newspapers and magazines delivered weekly and I live in an English village with two well maintained classic red phone boxes. One was almost removed due to construction work in 2018 but locals saved it with a petition.

Things that are obsolete to some folks or places aren't to others. It'd be nice to have a choice. Grant even says in the article that it's odd not to give those choices after saying the game is all about giving players a choice.

Wow. I couldn't get newspapers delivered here if I wanted them. Does anyone use the red phone boxes?

The boxes weren't red in the US, they were blue or clear with windows on all sides. But I miss Superman coming out of the phone booth, or Dr. Who using his phone box to travel. You cannot find anymore phone booths where I live. But there are still plenty of newspapers, and plenty of people who use landlines. Besides, cell phones are not ALWAYS superior - there are areas where they still get no reception.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member

I've not owned a mobile for seven years, I get newspapers and magazines delivered weekly and I live in an English village with two well maintained classic red phone boxes. One was almost removed due to construction work in 2018 but locals saved it with a petition.

Things that are obsolete to some folks or places aren't to others. It'd be nice to have a choice. Grant even says in the article that it's odd not to give those choices after saying the game is all about giving players a choice.

Wow. I couldn't get newspapers delivered here if I wanted them. Does anyone use the red phone boxes?

The boxes weren't red in the US, they were blue or clear with windows on all sides. But I miss Superman coming out of the phone booth, or Dr. Who using his phone box to travel. You cannot find anymore phone booths where I live. But there are still plenty of newspapers, and plenty of people who use landlines. Besides, cell phones are not ALWAYS superior - there are areas where they still get no reception.

Well, you can still have fictional characters coming of out now fictional phone booths. And no, nothing is always perfect, but I love that my mother has a smartphone that she can carry with her everywhere and that has three big buttons on her home screen that call me, my brother and 911.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    Yeah that I think has been the biggest downfall of the Sims 4 is that it is too dependent on trends rather than consultant experts in emotions. That is why the emotions feel so shallow and superficial and the gameplay does too. Not going to lie that it felt like it was going that way with the Sims 3. I never liked the mood system. It turned the Sims into MMO style with the buff system. I miss the personality points that actually gave Sims personality and wasn't dependent on the environment around them.

Exactly. I'm sure everyone remembers the thread by EmberDahl regarding "emotions" in sims 4.....

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/817854/an-obnoxious-psychosausage-tests-the-boundaries-of-the-sims-4-emotions/p1

And you summed it up well. The emotions are dependent on the enviroment, and more-so the "objects" around them. The other sims around them generally mean nothing aside from some bit of conversation.
    Oh man that thread brings back good memories. I loved following along with that story. Yeah I don't like having emotions tied to objects. I like Sims well being Sims and not just Sims tied to objects like how babies are.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited February 2020

I really loved the LLAMA in the Sims 3. It was reference to Doctor Who and just so much fun.
    https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Lightning_Leap_Atomic_Molecular_Arranger

Here are stats on US only landline use which is still quite high at 42.8%: https://www.textrequest.com/blog/how-many-people-still-use-landline-phone/

I was actually talking to my friend eimajunknown about landlines and we both love the show I Love Lucy and building about were talking about how neat it would be to have them for a sitcom builds. With Sims 4 direction already be sitcom directed, landlines would be the trendy thing to do to kill with their role playing theme and direction rather than being a life simulation game.

There are still 931 million worldwide landline subscriptions. I know from working in business knowing how to use a multi-line landline phone is a must. So not only will it be useful for home lots, but business lots still.
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/273014/number-of-fixed-telephone-lines-worldwide-since-2000/

True in the silicon valley there use of cell phones may be the norm but with how much money companies make especially in the tech and gaming industry, of course Gurus aren't going to relate with how the rest of the world lives while living a life of luxury in all things including 24/7 data and phone access. Begs the question, are they making the game to represent just their lives or those of their worldwide Simmers? Because so far I just see their lives shown in each pack rather than their customers' lives.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    https://youtu.be/V_AgVju1SLc

This recent interview does not fill me with confidence for The Sims 5. Quite the opposite actually. I believe that sims should focus heavily on putting in the work to get all animations, interactions and little things correct, rather than think about what's trendy. The Sims 4 feels just... Empty, while The Sims 2 shines due to all the attention to details that was put in it.
  • Options
    randy2355randy2355 Posts: 157 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I still dislike that my sims HAVE to have a cell phone. I would like home phones back. I don't have a cell phone irl and don't feel my sims should be forced to. What's wrong with adding a home phone back in? And a phone booth for us to place on community lots for travel? Or just have us click on our sim to go home and let them travel that way?

It's not about forcing the changing world on us as players, it should be about options for us to play our own ways.

I agree with you on this with the homephone, I really miss that. :'( I also miss the randomness of burglers, firefighters, and newspapers. I also very much agree with the OP too. Wow...I'm in a rare agreeable mood today!