Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Do You Manage Your Population?

2...Next

Comments

• ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    I usually let MCCC handle things, but now and then I clean families out myself.

Gotta love the MCCC, it keeps things interesting. Caleb marrying Maaike Haas? Don't see that everyday.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • 0xx_Simmer_xx00xx_Simmer_xx0 Posts: 196 Member
    After the youngest child in a generation becomes a teen I usually add new families and sims to empty houses or give some sims makeovers. I also use MCCC for story progression.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    I have decided to do something different after playing this game since The sims 1 and never actually thought about it before even though the random sims and their lack of background stories always annoyed me.

So this is what I am doing (and still working on) at the moment:
    First, I will finish rebuilding all the worlds to my desire. I have sub hoods where buildings, houses and apartments, community lots match with each other so that the right fitting sims can find their way living or visiting this area as well. I want things to make sense.

Then, I am planning to first of course keep my rotational households that are now stretched out into 5 active households. The rest of the non-desired pre-mades or random placed sims by the game/MCCC mod, I have deleted from their house in the world.
    Then i cleared out the entire list of population in the whole game. I kept sims that looked 'normal' and made sense, were friends or played a important part in the lives of my active households. The rest I deleted! I had a lot of bald females due to hair cc that seemed to be broken.. so annoying and a big NO!
    Now, I have all these empty houses build in style, character and with a story to them waiting for the right sims to inhabit them. These sims, I will either create myself in CAS or download from the gallery, cause I like to be surprised and not know their whole personality and traits already.
    Then i will also use these same sims just for population in the world without them inhabiting houses, so they will just appear in the population list of the world.

From time to time, i will create or download new ones and delete weird randomized sims the game creates. Normal ones can stay.

I am then planning to just freeze the time, go off my rotational play and sometimes just play with some of these sims in town to create a story for them and maybe play with features I normally would not have the chance to, cause it wouldn't fit in my rotational play (yet).

I think that's a good working plan for me. I do wish however, that the game would actually generate sims into our games through monthly updates or approved download lists from the gallery.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,657 Member
    @FurSimsOfficial Sounds like a great plan - aaand a huuuge project! And I love just that :) It's so inspirational how this game concept, after 20 years, still can keep us engaged in ways with such a depth. I love details, so I play rotationally with 60(?) households, keep track on all in a spreadsheet, and when I think I can't get any more into this, I find myself adding further complexity - latest addition is nobility system with 220 years of detailed backstory (including individual DNA) for 31 noble families/peerages! This is the kind of projects *I decided *NOT TO DO* when TS4 was released, LOL.

Good luck with your project, and enjoy all those lovely details! :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    @Simmerville my mind boggles with the complexity of your game :D it sounds awesome but I don't think I could manage such a thing!
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited February 2020
    @FurSimsOfficial Sounds like a great plan - aaand a huuuge project! And I love just that :) It's so inspirational how this game concept, after 20 years, still can keep us engaged in ways with such a depth. I love details, so I play rotationally with 60(?) households, keep track on all in a spreadsheet, and when I think I can't get any more into this, I find myself adding further complexity - latest addition is nobility system with 220 years of detailed backstory (including individual DNA) for 31 noble families/peerages! This is the kind of projects *I decided *NOT TO DO* when TS4 was released, LOL.

Good luck with your project, and enjoy all those lovely details! :)

Ok wow I just panicked a little when I red your numbers haha. But at the same time, I am all about details. I am trying to do things step by step, don't force if I dont feel like it as there is something for every day that interests me. I am still building though, so it's definitely a loooong way to go :D Thanks!
  • sarabeth2984sarabeth2984 Posts: 849 Member
    I have MCC but I don't use it for story progression. It tends to pair couples I don't want paired up, divorces families I want together, etc. I usually do marriages and grow my background non-played households in CAS. I age them up as they're kids age up. I also play with aging off, so if I have too many elder sims running around, Death by too much woohoo comes in handy lol. Its how I'd wanna go Lol! XD
    Generally though my sims are so clutzy they manage to die off all on their own before they ever reach their elder years
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,941 Member
    I don't. I've given up. there is no population toggles to let me do what I want so I don't even bother with any sims outside my household
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I created a custom template I use to start any new saves. In this save I've given the majority of premades a makeover and/or hot/cold outfits, deleted a few, merged a few households and bulldozed some residential homes. I've also added copies of favorite Sims I've played in other saves and remodeled townies that I liked. Some townies are service Sims and vampires. It's nice knowing exactly who will be delivering the mail instead of some random game-generated new Sim in every save.

I still get generated Sims, but not as many. I delete the ones I don't like/need with a couple now and then allowed to stay. If I really like them, they get saved to my library for the custom template. My plan is to eventually have enough remodeled service Sims the game won't generate as many. It won't ever stop completely, but it helps decrease their numbers.

These Sims run wild not in world or do their service jobs and premades do whatever it is they do. I see some premades as vendors if they don't have another job. I'll only interact with these Sims if they become friends or a spouse to my current household. Otherwise, I don't care about them much. However, I do enjoy seeing my own created fav Sims from time to time. :)

I've never played rotational, just one household per save. It's how I've always played for 20 years.

Happy Simming! <3
  • viola-illyriaviola-illyria Posts: 182 Member
    For MCC what are the best settings for story progression? I find the instructions for the mod so confusing.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Everytime one of my sims age i go to the family management to add a few toddlers and move some sims to other homes making new families to my liking.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    I use MCCC for my population control. Thanks to reading several ways of tweaking the settings, I no longer have massive sim invasion. I used the pregnancy and population controls to get my sims down to a reasonable amount, lord.

I don't know how people without Deaderpool's mod manage their story progression. I was pulling my hair out before I dl'ed his mod. :D

@bshag4lv What are your settings like? I'm not fully overrun but I have been twice.

You can limit who has pregnancies, like only married couples can reproduce. You can set when the mod checks foe eligible sims for reproducing to one day during the week instead of 2. I'm sure there are others, same sex can only adopt, only ya's moving out of parents' households get first dibbs on empty housing.

I hope this helps a little. There is also egwarhammer's thread that is very helpful and also deaderpool's tumblr. I just never took the time to check, most of this is trial and error, lol. :D

Good Luck!
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • tayahjessieetayahjessiee Posts: 20 Member
    I'm not really too bothered by the random npc's that are generated, however I do still do my fair share of god work and create new families to put in houses when the townies start dying of old age just to stop every house no matter how big containing a single sim.
    "They say it don't be like it be, but it do"
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    I'm just playing through my first proper legacy, the Everything Legacy Challenge. Being on a normal lifespan, I can see the sims around me ageing quicker than I am used to and I suddenly had a panic about them all dying off and being left with nothing other than hideous randomly generated npcs.

So... I have started going through manage households and pairing sims off and giving them the occasional toddler to grow the population.

It got me wondering what everyone else does.

So, what do you all do to keep your population strong and varied in age groups? And do you keep returning to restyle them as they get older?

I use MCCC to have them autonomously marry and have kids, but sometimes I force things to happen too. And I use a NPC Control mod by Paulson to stop the game to randomly generate npcs to fill roles and place existing sims instead, I can also set them in whatever npc job I wanted.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    But, I add all the maxis gallery sims in the world too, so to keep the population in control I use the chinese rule to have only one kid. I just break it in certain moments or if I feel like theres not enough people in my save.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    Depends. I either switch aging off for unplayed households if I want to keep the premades around or I keep aging on for unplayed households and switch on the story progression features of MCCC.
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I don't really care about the other Sims than the ones I play with and I'm okay with the randomly generated npcs, I've never had any problems with the way they look. If my Sim decides to have a romance with a random Sim I just fix their clothes and hair in CAS.
    I don't usually do much with the population other than the ones that are my Sims friends. Sometimes I make them have spouses and children, but not often. The only thing that I often do is I add Sims from the gallery to the world, sometimes I make them myself. If my Sims have children I like to add families who have children too. I want to have friends and possible future spouses for my Sims. I don't use any mods.

This is me. I am usually wrapped up in the family or play that I want to happen and I don't mind other Sims as that is what you find in the real world. Sometimes, if my sim doesn't find someone to marry that I like, then I go ahead and make someone to put in the game. Otherwise, it stays as it is. It takes me long enough to make my Sims and house to my liking. I would never get to play if I had to change all that stuff.