Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Simlish Magazine: Vote!

Simlish Magazine is a new online magazine open to publishing all types of literary art, including comic strips, lyrics, scripts, text-inclusive collages, concrete poetry, poetry, short stories, flash fiction, non-fiction memoirs, and whatever else you can think of that includes text and images. The magazine exclusively publishes writing illustrated with images generated in video games.

Alternative URLs: simlishmagazine.blogspot.com simlishmagazine.com

Stories up - time to vote! Also, submissions for the next issue are now open!

BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
Post edited by QueenofMyshuno on

Comments

• QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    Okay, you guys, I’ve been over this site a thousand times, but there’s always something that needs tweaking on a new site, so if you notice any type-o’s or other errors, please let me know. Also, links within the site should open in the same page, but links going outside of the site should open in a new page, so if that’s not happening somewhere, please let me know about that also. Thank you!
  • 15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    @QueenofMyshuno This is probably kinda silly, but I'm worried about the Word document requirement. I don't have Word because it requires a subscription. Are there any free substitutes, like a Google Doc, that you would take?
    @15aewar That is not silly at all. I was thinking about adding some additional verbiage for people who don't have access to Word, so I'll edit that sometime today. Word isn't an absolute requirement; I was just thinking it would be the easiest for most people, but maybe not. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. :)
    @15aewar Is there a free program you use that would be attachable to an email?
  • IllusoryThrallIllusoryThrall Posts: 1,335 Member
    One suggestion might be OpenOffice. It's a free program that has a word-type program that anyone can use, and can be easily attached to email.
    Thanks @IllusoryThrall I’ll check it out.
    Just a heads up for @QueenofMyshuno :
    I'm currently working on a short story for the magazine. I hope to submit it later this week. It's given me sooooo much trouble, but I hope it's worth it in the end. <3
    edited February 2020
    @15aewar That's great! I look forward to reading it. It's always so satisfying when you finish a story that has been giving you problems and you see the completed work. Hang in there! :)
    @15aewar That's great! I look forward to reading it. It's always so satisfying when you finish a story that has been giving you problems and you see the completed work. Hang in there! :)

Just sent it in! I'll PM you with my email address so you can (hopefully) find it. :)
    Hey writers! Simlish Magazine is now listed on The Short List, a directory of literary publications that accept shorter pieces of writing, from 50 words up to 4k words. It's organized by word count, so it's easy to find the publication that's right for you. There are many talented writers on this forum who could easily branch out into publishing their work to a wider audience, so I hope you will consider doing so.
  • CaptainElsaCaptainElsa Posts: 226 Member
    So just to clarify it is JUST writing submissions?
    @CaptainElsa I wasn’t sure if your question was about Simlish Magazine or The Short List. If you’re asking about The Short List, yes, it’s just writing. No screenshots since they list ordinary, non-sims journals and magazines. :)
    Whoops, sorry, I meant Simlish Magazine.
    @CaptainElsa Oh okay gotcha. Simlish Magazine Is the standard kind of Sims setup—writing with screenshots. If you go to the submissions page on the website, everything is explained in detail.
    Thanks. Yeah I was reading the website and wasn't sure what a standard Sims setup was. I've never participated in this sort of thing before. I have a background in graphic design and photoshop and looking at the prompt my ideas for submission were visual.

So it sounds like it's just fanfiction only?
    @CaptainElsa No it doesn’t need to be fanfic at all. It can be any sort of writing, really, and can be totally unrelated to The Sims, but just needs to be illustrated with The Sims 4.

If you’re more of a visual artist, you could do a collage or a photoshopped/enhanced screenshot with some wording superimposed (or accompanying it). Minimum word count is 10, so you can be minimalistic with the writing side if you want to concentrate more on the visual.

Ultimately I would love to see something like this where the image and text complement and enhance each other—the words adding depth to the image and the image adding depth to the words (as in adding emotion, meaning, significance—something like that). Writing does need to be your own original work, of course (so no quotes or anything like that).

It sounds like maybe I need to edit my submissions page to make it more clear, so I’m glad you’re asking these questions.
    FYI, if you submitted something prior to today, all submissions have been answered, one way or the other. So, if you submitted something and have NOT heard back from me, please contact me right away. Otherwise, please carry on with your amazing work! :)
    FYI, if you submitted something prior to today, all submissions have been answered, one way or the other. So, if you submitted something and have NOT heard back from me, please contact me right away. Otherwise, please carry on with your amazing work! :)

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my entry, but I will not be rewriting my story. It took me days to write what I had. I only have so much energy in a day and writing takes up a lot of it.

I guess that makes me a sore loser. I sincerely hope you can find people who can devote the time to this project.
    @15aewar I completely understand.
    Just a heads up, everyone. I'm working on getting the first edition up. It's slow going since I'm doing everything for the first time, but it should be up soon. I have a fantastic guest judge lined up. This person is a marvelous cc creator, and I'm sure many of you will recognize the name once you see it. I have some beautiful writing and some extraordinary illustrations lined up for you, and I hope you will fall in love with the pieces in this issue as I have. You'll have an opportunity to vote for your favorite, so I'll post again once the issue is up and the voting starts.
    The first issue has been published...there's some good news and bad news.

The bad news: Apparently, the simlishmagazine.com link isn't working for everyone (it's working for me). Can you guys try both simlishmagazine.blogspot.com and simlishmagazine.com and tell me if either works for you and what browser you're using? (Not sure if that has anything to do with it.)

The good news: I'm in love with the writing and illustrations in this issue. It came out so nice! I hope you will visit (if you're able to get there?) and support these creators by casting your vote.