Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Expansions and Game Packs are not going to make The Sims 4 better

I think this is a pretty popular opinion with anyone who is critical about The Sims 4 but I still think there are a number of people who don't realize this. No matter how many fun and interesting DLCs are added to the TS4, this game is always going to feel shallow and boring to many because the core of the game's problem lies in issues that are in the base game. These issues include things players have been complaining about for years such as the need to improve personalities, relationships, emotions, buffs/moodlets, whims, story progression, and much more (i.e. bugs). Another problem that makes this game feel very lackluster is the lack of dynamic and unique interactions and animations. In a previous post I made I mentioned that pretty much every object in this game is turned on with a TV remote (radios, thermostats, fireplaces, etc.) and there are no unique interactions with functional objects depending on what traits you possess so every sim looks and feels the same. Traits are not used to create your sims' personalities in this game, it's just a tool to get your sims into a specific mood.

I'm sorry if this post seems like a ramble and a bit confusing to follow (I'm very tired) but I wanted to share my thoughts on this because, to be honest, I think that The Sims 4 has the some of the best and most in-depth expansion packs than the other main series Sims games but it doesn't matter because the base game play is so shallow that the enjoyment of these packs fade away after the very first playthrough.

TL;DR: The Sims Team need to take break from DLCs and focus on making an enjoyable and in-depth base game.
Ding-dong! Your baby is gone!

-Social Worker, probably

Comments

• Gecko420Gecko420 Posts: 245 Member
    In that case just make sims 5 already.
    t0j4i8.jpg
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    edited February 2020
    As Geralt has said... it’s like receiving a pie without a filling.

The Gurus don’t communicate, they don’t update us with dev blogs or twitch streams about the direction of the game and there is no roadmap.

Most of the improvements of this game could be used by updating the DLCs we already have. It’s the least they can do by communicating with us about that last survey they did about “game improvements”... maybe for that 20th anniversary day. Still, nothing.

Was that survey a spoof? Something to distract us? False hope?

Communication of some kind would really be appreciated.

I’m tired of assuming. I just want to see them treat their customers with respect.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    You know I don’t understand why people think the studio wants to make a big complex game like some players want. They have had over 5 years to make some sort of progress on any number of things and they have not. That’s a choice. It’s not like making no dlc would make them want to make a better game. No offense that’s just the culture of this studio. They have a vision and they will execute that without regard to players. They know Sims 4 is such a mess, and I’m sure some of them don’t like that but it’s sold good enough and they have no reason to want to make a better game and EA definitely has no reason to tell them to.
  • thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    edited February 2020
    You know I don’t understand why people think the studio wants to make a big complex game like some players want.

Well I think it's more of a thing where players expected the sims 4 to EXPAND on what the previous three games had - like sims 2 expanded on 1, and sims 3 expanded on 1 and 2. Sims 4 feels like it ignores the history of the franchise and doesn't improve or expand on any old ideas/gameplay that was wildly enjoyed by fans in previous games.

That's where I feel the majority of the disappointment comes from.

• TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    There's a disconnect between where the team wants to take the franchise (social and YA-focused), versus where the forums want to take it (in-depth life simulation.) Audiences exist for both, but a game that compromises between the two focuses will satisfy neither group. It seems to me that the answer is to create two games, a more classic TS5 and a TSO2.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I haven't excited for an pack in over a year. Nothing they've added has fixed the biggest problems the game has. It's like they try to pile on pack after pack of stuff to try to make the game look more interesting, but it all falls flat when the BG is so lacking.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    It's almost end of Feb, and we haven't received any updates on their milestone for 2020. I suspected there's a reorganisation or changes in their positioning strategy? More than anything, I would like to know the result of the latest survey. Make it more transparent & get us involved & informed. Not that I don't like surprises, I just can't trust them anymore.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited February 2020
    Maxis doesn't seem interested in making the sims4 better, they rather see these flaws as part of the game.

I think one reason is because some flaws are based on the original code and how the game works, I am very skeptical if they are willing to give sims more personality like it seemed in the survey because that could conflict with how all the buffs and interactions work.

Unfortunately this seems to have become a major part of their development to the point that they don't even want to go back and check how old things work and they don't even check if everything works properly in their packs so they constantly break things with their patches.

Their focus are instead to make new content regularly for the sims4. They don't have time or the budget to change how the game works with their new packs. It doesn't even matter to them if the flaws are making the packs worse because that is just part of the sims4. A game that is unpredictable and unexpected because they don't know how it will react when you will add new things to it. People will buy their packs anyway.

I honestly think the best thing to do now is to not support them for more than what you feel that they are worth. Don't show blind support by buying their packs at release and don't accept their lack of quality or variety with their content. Be a more critical customer.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    There's a disconnect between where the team wants to take the franchise (social and YA-focused), versus where the forums want to take it (in-depth life simulation.) Audiences exist for both, but a game that compromises between the two focuses will satisfy neither group. It seems to me that the answer is to create two games, a more classic TS5 and a TSO2.
    I think it’s much more simple. They just need to create one good game and everybody will be happy.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • tweedletweedle Posts: 89 Member
    I agree. But when you have a community that buys anything there is very little incentive to change things. I genuinely think they don’t regard the flaws as flaws at all.

Yeah, that's the problem. If people weren't so eager to purchase every pack, then maybe EA would be more keen on improving the game. As consumers, simmers need to express their feedback through their wallets. Everyone can come on here and complain about the newest pack that they were disappointed with, but at the end of the day, they still bought it at full price without any hesitation.

-Social Worker, probably
    Gecko420 wrote: »
    In that case just make sims 5 already.

People who say this put too much faith in EA. Unless they learn from their mistakes and the player base stops throwing money at them, these problems will persist in the next installment, albeit in different ways.

-Social Worker, probably
  • Remy_GenevaRemy_Geneva Posts: 142 Member
    edited February 2020
    I agree that DLC's will not resolve the lack of depth we currently have in the game. The sims in TS4 are just empty shells, so bland it's like watching paint dry.

Even if they implement what was in the survey that would not resolve the issues. It would improve the game to a degree yes, but not to where it should be. Now some might say "where it should be" is subjective. However I disagree, simply because they advertised certain features that to this day five years later we do not have i.e. distinct/unique personailites and big personalities. That all I ask for what was advertised.

The trait system really sucks. First of all we only have a choice of three and it is made even worse if you play as a child or something because you get even less. Then within those traits are things like dog lover, bookworm, dance machine etc. So if I were to pick these traits where is the actual personality for my selected sim? Why aren't those traits part of favourite things, likes/dislikes, or hobbies/pastimes. Why are they shoehorned in to traits which is already so severly limited and lacking.

So, unless future DLC's are meant to fix these areas, adding more "stuff" to the game won't change a darn thing.

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    You can add all the dlc you want to the game: It won’t fix the core issues. I don’t believe it can be fixed. The sims 4 is what the sims 4 is and throwing more dlc on top of a rotten core doesn’t work. Short term perhaps. But not long term.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    What y'all have said. The problem at its core is the online engine slap-dash modified to off. Not the right engine for this kind of game. A pig, regardless of how much makeup and fancy attire you put on it, is still a pig. Unfortunately for us, pigs seem to be in vogue these days so the cash (what EA is really interested in) keeps on rolling in so there is no motivation for change. TS5, unless there is a major change in personnel and underlying philosophy, will be more of the same only on a different engine.
  • Placebo7Placebo7 Posts: 107 Member
    I agree with all the problems you point out. But couldn't this be at least partially fixed in a "relationships" pack or something like that, where they add traits, change the way relationships work in the game? Can they not add memory in a pack? Can they not add new animations?

The survey sent seemed to indicate they were at least interested in fixing this. But maybe it was just a tease. :(
    @Placebo7 Features like those do not belong in a paid pack. It needs to be integrated into the base game. These are core features we are talking about.

-Social Worker, probably
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    Yikes... a relationship pack... sounds terrifying. Please don’t give them any ideas.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited February 2020
    The way the emotion system works + the personality is a big problem and I dont think it can be fixed with a patch. I think its best to wait for TS5,move onto other games(animal crossing coming soon!) , or play the previous
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Gecko420Gecko420 Posts: 245 Member
    The way the emotion system works + the personality is a big problem and I dont think it can be fixed with a patch. I think its best to wait for TS5,move onto other games(animal crossing coming soon!) , or play the previous

Yeah, honestly I’d rather have TS3 traits over TS4 emotion systems anyday.
    t0j4i8.jpg
    I think think it can be fixed in TS4, it would just take up a lot of time and resources, which is why I think they should stop developing packs for now. I don't play TS4 that much so I'm not going to hold my breath for any major changes, and I have other games that I'd rather play, anyway.

-Social Worker, probably
  • Lukas11xxfLukas11xxf Posts: 11 New Member
    > @Placebo7 said:
    > I agree with all the problems you point out. But couldn't this be at least partially fixed in a "relationships" pack or something like that, where they add traits, change the way relationships work in the game? Can they not add memory in a pack? Can they not add new animations?
    >
    > The survey sent seemed to indicate they were at least interested in fixing this. But maybe it was just a tease. :(

What's next: turn on and turn offs game pack? wants and fears game pack? Yeah.... not buying that should be fundamentally in the base game itself.