Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Need Advice Backing Up My System and TS2UC.

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
edited February 2020 in The Sims 2
I put this here because I don't know where to ask here. But this is related to the TS2UC, too. Ok, most of my more important stuff is on a Windows 7 64bit machine. (not a fan of 10) The TS2UC is on the machine (program) but not tied to Origin. I'm aware at anytime I could have a hardware failure (recently another Win7 machine finally died) so that one is the only one I have left to play my game and or where I store most of my more important stuff. As far as an event that might fry that machine, (I pray not) how can I save my .Exe files for TS2UC and other stuff and all my stuff beyond just a normal backup in case I can't get stuff off the harddrive? Any techy people here who can help with this? I have Win10 on a laptop but it's not good enough for some things like a huge (years of work) game etc. Or all my other stuff.

Thanks for help, I have started to worry about this since MS no longer updates that machine and it's about five years old now.

ETA: My copy of TS2UC is totally legit. When I uninstalled Origin a few years ago it didn't uninstall Origin Game File/TS2UC so I was still able to play it without Origin because I never updated to the patch for it. It's totally legit offer from 2014.
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
Post edited by Cinebar on

Comments

• Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    The files aren't the hard part.

It's the registry files that you will the trouble. I don't know how to replicate that. As I don't think that kind of manual install will make Origin recognize it for any kind of repair if the repair itself wouldn't trigger the patch.

Might be the point where you would need to go back to the disc version should you really not want to tie to Origin. Assuming you can still find/make a computer with Windows 7 at that time. So if you do not own the discs, might want to start looking for them to add to your collection.

Short of the hard drive, motherboard, or processor going bad, you'd only have to worry about finding hardware old enough that still has Windows 7 drivers.

Those three would likely require an OS reinstall or make just buying a new computer more efficient.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2020
    Thanks for reminding me about Windows 7 drivers for hardware. Yeah, I remember what a pain that was when I switched this pc from Win. 8 (new) back to retail (new) Win. 7. The manufacturer had only installed drivers for all those little parts (many like bluetooth etc.) with W8 drivers. Going to go backup those .exe driver packages! I might need those. :)

Thanks for the help. Maybe I can find somewhere to store a total image of the system. Thank you! I would hate to reinstall everything one by one, I have on this pc just to get it all back. But I guess an external HDD is the answer since this HDD is half full at 500GBs of 1 TB. Going to need more than discs I guess. :/
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.