Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Discover University: Really Disappointed

2...Next

Comments

• NoirStasisNoirStasis Posts: 243 Member
    thecatsred wrote: »
    Also HATED that I had to SELL MY HOUSE to send my sim to school??? That makes NO sense. I moved in a random townie to "hold" the house as is while my sim was away at school. I don't think I'll be sending any more sims to school and the rest will take their classes from home.

Also once you go to pick classes, the game moves you IMMEDIATELY with NO warning. I didn't have time to pack my laptop, or medicine, or anything else I wanted my sim to bring with them. It says in the description to bring things and then gives you NO time to pack at all. I had to quit and lose about 2 hours of playtime just to make up for the fact.

Why does this not make sense to you? You move out. You leave that house. Aka you don't live there anymore.
    As for classes... the game tell you when you get your acceptance letter to pack up your stuff.

Most Sims who go to University are YA leaving their parent's households that would be leaving the nest and the dorms are that transition point to where they're either going to move back home with their parents or try to move to lets say an apartment in Myshuno. If they're adults going back at least there is an option to still live in their home and still go to University
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    NoirStasis wrote: »
    thecatsred wrote: »
    Also HATED that I had to SELL MY HOUSE to send my sim to school??? That makes NO sense. I moved in a random townie to "hold" the house as is while my sim was away at school. I don't think I'll be sending any more sims to school and the rest will take their classes from home.

Also once you go to pick classes, the game moves you IMMEDIATELY with NO warning. I didn't have time to pack my laptop, or medicine, or anything else I wanted my sim to bring with them. It says in the description to bring things and then gives you NO time to pack at all. I had to quit and lose about 2 hours of playtime just to make up for the fact.

Why does this not make sense to you? You move out. You leave that house. Aka you don't live there anymore.
    As for classes... the game tell you when you get your acceptance letter to pack up your stuff.

Most Sims who go to University are YA leaving their parent's households that would be leaving the nest and the dorms are that transition point to where they're either going to move back home with their parents or try to move to lets say an apartment in Myshuno. If they're adults going back at least there is an option to still live in their home and still go to University

Exactly. You only "lose" your house if you are the only Sim in the household AND chose to not live at home while studying.
    Which is 100% logical. After all, if you move out, you move out.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • NoirStasisNoirStasis Posts: 243 Member
    Haniiee wrote: »
    Since the last few games packs have been fairly underwhelming, I decided to wait a while before purchasing Discover University. I watched a lot of LPs and the gameplay features looked great, plus there was a lot of new objects and clothing included.

However, when I did purchase the game, all I got was a whole host of bugs and I feel like the game didn't get the attention during development that it actually needed:

1. Time has completely broken. Speed 1 and 2 are fine, but speed 3 is basically useless. It works for a couple of seconds then it will either slow down to the point where I may as well have selected a slower speed myself, it will freeze or it will start jumping back-and-forth. Ultra speed when everyone sleeps always freezing at 3.18am no matter what.

2. It is impossible to tell how my sim is progressing in her studies because there is no way to keep track. A progress bar the same as careers can't have been difficult to include! I have had my sim improve her skill level, complete homework, submit outstanding term papers/presentations, not miss any classes and complete additional study, but she is still at risk of failing the term.

3. On Foxbury Capmus, all the university buildings are rabbit holes, but Foxbury Commons has a loading screen, even though it is in the same area. If I walk back from class to my house, there is no loading screen, but if I walk back from the commons to my house, the game lets her walk all the way to the front door and then triggers and loading screen.

4. There isn't a stove in university housing, but if you eat too many quick meals or microwave meals your sims get a negative moodlet. So you have to keep going to the commons or travelling to another lot to get a proper meal.

5. The progress icon for homework does not move until the homework is actually complete. The progress on the career tab works, shoing 25%, 50% etc but it is really annoying having to keep switching between tabs when I shouldn't have to.

There are a few other little things I've noticed but these are the main ones that ruin my gameplay and make me want to rage quit all the time!

What do you guys think?

1. The time is broken in my game with speed 3 and I don't have University. I pause go to speed 1 and back to 3 again to get it working again( not that it isn't a pain to do so)

2. That's really annoying, saw a game changer talk about that; one of the reasons why I haven't gotten it.

3. Didn't know that; kind of annoying

4. Can't you decorate the dorms before your sims apply to University and put one in? I think it makes no sense to have a culinary degree, but no place to actually practice real cooking.

5. That also sounds annoying; they need to rehaul the UI schedule of classes on top of each other in the career tab and the homework.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited March 2020
    telmarina wrote: »
    This is with a mod, right? I have a lot of mods in sims 3 now that the game won't change and mods are stable, but back then when it wasn't finished i didn't play with mods.
    Didn't know about the diploma though. Have to check it. But it misses the effort, the classes, homeworks, presentations and so...

Sometimes I'm really lazy about sending my sims to university or placing a university in my homeworld, so I buy the diploma with lifetime reward points instead. :)

To place a university in your own hometown, check out this helpful and informative discussion thread (save it to PDF for future reference if you like):

The link to the NRAAS how-to for homeworld university is old. Here is the updated one:

You can design your own university lots, but here's a university lot ready for use (can be modified too):

More college lots from Mod the Sims:

More college lots you can use at The Sims Resource:

Having a university in your own hometown would be great. You can still manage other sims and it's nice for all the college age sims to go together to university.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I am just mad about rotational gameplay. I really wanted to send all my teens (aging to YA) to college at the same time and rotate them there. Now I have to send a few at a time and it is taking forever. If I sent all my teens(YA), they wouldn't have had to create five million students.

I would like to see my Sim's grade progress because then I could slack when I know my sims are getting an A+ and do more things around campus instead of homework and class. I do have to say the surprise grades are pretty funny. I love when I think my sims are doing great and they come back with a B- LOL
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    telmarina wrote: »
    This is with a mod, right? I have a lot of mods in sims 3 now that the game won't change and mods are stable, but back then when it wasn't finished i didn't play with mods.
    Didn't know about the diploma though. Have to check it. But it misses the effort, the classes, homeworks, presentations and so...

Sometimes I'm really lazy about sending my sims to university or placing a university in my homeworld, so I buy the diploma with lifetime reward points instead. :)

To place a university in your own hometown, check out this helpful and informative discussion thread (save it to PDF for future reference if you like):

The link to the NRAAS how-to for homeworld university is old. Here is the updated one:

You can design your own university lots, but here's a university lot ready for use (can be modified too):

More college lots from Mod the Sims:

More college lots you can use at The Sims Resource:

Having a university in your own hometown would be great. You can still manage other sims and it's nice for all the college age sims to go together to university.

You can also just download some excellent fan-made worlds with hometown universities already added to them! Right now, I'm playing Storybrook County, by My Sim Realty, and I really love the world! You don't really need to use rabbithole rugs if the actualy rabbithole buildings fit your world better and that's what the creator did in this world. It has two main areas to it: a city side and a more suburban side, with beaches, diving lots, and three resorts! (If you're interested in this world, just click on the blue title link for more information and downloads.)

Storybrook County
    by My Sims Realty

Screenshot-125.jpg

Scree232nshot-121.jpg

1618526_800553563293760_158192722_n.jpg

• logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    * sigh one of my roommates got a bladder failure in a university dorm. How difficult is it to tell an unplayed sim that when their needs are yellow they should fill that need?

Very difficult apparently.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,094 Member
    logion wrote: »
    * sigh one of my roommates got a bladder failure in a university dorm. How difficult is it to tell an unplayed sim that when their needs are yellow they should fill that need?

I'm constantly cheating my dormmates needs up. They really are awful about it. That happened in Sims 2 University too, so I guess it's something they've never worked out.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01

In Sims 4? Never noticed that myself. None of my dorm mates ever had a problem more than being overworked and crying themselves to sleep.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member

In Sims 4? Never noticed that myself. None of my dorm mates ever had a problem more than being overworked and crying themselves to sleep.

It happened to one of my clingy roommates, so I'm guessing the game forced her to travel to other lots so she could never get her needs refilled.

I'm tempted to remove more roommate traits... I already removed the musiclover one because I could not stand listening to my roommates playing the violin all the time.
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    There are a few things I really dislike, but the top ones for me are as follows. 1. Having to sell your home and move out if you want to live in the dorm. In Sims 3 it didn't matter how many people lived in your household, even if it was just one person, you signed up for university, then off you went to the university world and what ever lodging you choose, your house was waiting for you when you got back. 2. I don't like not being able to see any kind of progress bar on how my sim is doing in university. If there was an indication visible it would be easier to know what kind of grade to expect. I prefer the way Sims 3 did this as well. The rest is pretty ok, I am probably one of the few who don't mind not having stoves in university housing, I always deleted them in Sims 3 as I always had dorm mates catching things on fire. I prefer how you don't have to return home between semesters, I love that we can take degrees from home. I don't think it's a bad pack, but a few of the things they implemented just seemed odd to me. I also didn't like the numerous bugs that came with the patch for the expansion.
    Sara1010P wrote: »
    There are a few things I really dislike, but the top ones for me are as follows. 1. Having to sell your home and move out if you want to live in the dorm. In Sims 3 it didn't matter how many people lived in your household, even if it was just one person, you signed up for university, then off you went to the university world and what ever lodging you choose, your house was waiting for you when you got back. 2. I don't like not being able to see any kind of progress bar on how my sim is doing in university. If there was an indication visible it would be easier to know what kind of grade to expect. I prefer the way Sims 3 did this as well. The rest is pretty ok, I am probably one of the few who don't mind not having stoves in university housing, I always deleted them in Sims 3 as I always had dorm mates catching things on fire. I prefer how you don't have to return home between semesters, I love that we can take degrees from home. I don't think it's a bad pack, but a few of the things they implemented just seemed odd to me. I also didn't like the numerous bugs that came with the patch for the expansion.

To each their own :smile:

1. That does not make sense unless you also have to pay full price for BOTH your house AND your dorm. I am all for making you keep your home if you want, but as I said you should still have to pay those 1500 a week for it PLUS your 400 for your dorm life then.

2. I honestly don't see the need. I mean it's easy: Make your homework, don't be late... automatic A or A+
    I mean I see almost all the let's plays from say Englishsimmer etc with Sims getting kicked out or on "prohibition" and whatnot... but that's because they deliberately make their Sims fail at studying to get more viewers.