Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 room mate question

Hi everyone,

I remember on sims 3 when you had the option to just add someone as a room mate. It was great because you could have the company without having to control them.

I see they have added this on sims 4 university and that's great.

The problem is though, when I looked this up, you advertise for room mates then the potential room mates come and you decide which one you want apparently.

What if you want to add your spouse as a room mate but not to your household? Is there any way to do this please? Does just anyone show up when you advertise or can you pick who you want? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.
  • JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    Yeah, if they aren’t part of your household and not currently living elsewhere you should be able to click on them under the “roommate” option and ask to be roommate.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited February 2020
    Yes like everyone said just make them homeless. But what I do it use the teleport mod to teleport them to me and ask them to be my roomate lol. So quick and easy. That's how I pick all my roomates.

I don't have a problem with this so far, but I need more time to play around. I assigned my boyfriend as a roomate and I have never seen him bring over any friends or girlfriends. And its soooooo cute everytime he just comes up to give my sim a little hug or kiss. I think you should experiment with it.

I do have other roomates that I have no relationship with who seem to have these stereotype personalities though.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • sapphiretigersapphiretiger Posts: 260 Member
    Thank you so much for your replies. That is really helpful. I will give this a try. 😍
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    as kini mentioned, any sim you make into a roommate (or get assigned as a dormmate in a university) automatically gets assigned a handful of roommate-specific traits... there are actually three categories of these, archetypes, interests and quirks

room/dormmates will usually be given 1-2 archetypes, which include things such as 'fixer', 'breaker', 'mealmaker'
    they'll usually be given 1-2 interests, which focus them on certain things such as playing on the computer, playing violin constantly, baking or fitness
    they'll be given 0-2 quirks, which tend to be things like bathroom hog, late on rent, absent (rarely on lot), big closet (keep making up additional everyday outfits to wear), pda (they'll spawn new boy/girlfriends practically every time they return to the lot)

i absolutely suggest picking up the 'show sim info' mod just to poke at your roommate's traits and learn all the options there are and how to cheat hidden traits onto and off of sims so you can sculpt a roommate that fits your story or playstyle

for example, if i have multiple dorm/roommates, i try to ensure only one, maybe two, mealmakers (they spawn a party sized meal when hungry), a maximum of one breaker (objects they use break more frequently) and at least one fixer and cleaner (unless the household already has a maid or butler or a neat sim) just to keep things balanced
    i'll also severely limit the pda trait and, depending on household, the loud music trait
    Thank you so much for your reply, I will definitely take all that into account. I was waiting until my sim had graduated then I was going to move her into a bigger place with a room mate. Thanks again.
  • mandythesimmandythesim Posts: 29 Member
    wait how do you make a sim homeless?
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    You move them into a , Not In This World family, I did that and deleted the other SIM I used to do this with, don't forget to change household name back to SIM you're wanting as roommate. After that find them and under roommate option ask them to be one.
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    you can also evict them out of the lot they live in while you're at the 'choose a household to play' selection
    Ahh ok cool thank you
    Ahh ok cool thank you

Your cat has the same colours as mine! How cute. 😍 Calico club.

Ahh ok cool thank you

Your cat has the same colours as mine! How cute. 😍 Calico club.

Calico Club! <3 yeah her mum was a calico too, her older sister is only black and white though lol
  • plauplau Posts: 183 Member
    kalaksed wrote: »
    as kini mentioned, any sim you make into a roommate (or get assigned as a dormmate in a university) automatically gets assigned a handful of roommate-specific traits... there are actually three categories of these, archetypes, interests and quirks

room/dormmates will usually be given 1-2 archetypes, which include things such as 'fixer', 'breaker', 'mealmaker'
    they'll usually be given 1-2 interests, which focus them on certain things such as playing on the computer, playing violin constantly, baking or fitness
    they'll be given 0-2 quirks, which tend to be things like bathroom hog, late on rent, absent (rarely on lot), big closet (keep making up additional everyday outfits to wear), pda (they'll spawn new boy/girlfriends practically every time they return to the lot)

i absolutely suggest picking up the 'show sim info' mod just to poke at your roommate's traits and learn all the options there are and how to cheat hidden traits onto and off of sims so you can sculpt a roommate that fits your story or playstyle

for example, if i have multiple dorm/roommates, i try to ensure only one, maybe two, mealmakers (they spawn a party sized meal when hungry), a maximum of one breaker (objects they use break more frequently) and at least one fixer and cleaner (unless the household already has a maid or butler or a neat sim) just to keep things balanced
    i'll also severely limit the pda trait and, depending on household, the loud music trait

Hi! I know it's been a year since you wrote this, but if you could answer this for me it would be of great help, as I've yet to find an answer for it.
    I want to edit my roommates' archetypes, interests and quirks (I've done it before couple of years ago but forgot how, I didn't use cheats). My sim is in Uni and has four roommates with the mealmaker archetype. There is spoiled food everywhere because of them. I want to remove this archetype, as well as be able to edit them, interests and quirks also if possible.

I have the Show Sim Info mod, but I can't edit it in there. When I shift-click on a roommate and choose "show sim info" though, I can choose "remove trait" (or "add trait"), and get a list, but the archetypes are not there, there are only traits like "can be impregnated", "default walk style", "feminine frame" etc. + their unhidden three traits.

Can you help? I would appreciate it so much.