Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 5 is rumoured to be going online. For it or against it?

Comments

• SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I do not want an online component to be apart of the game.
    I don't want them to even begin wasting time on multiplayer. Keep the sims offline and give us the sims game we want.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2020
    Some over on MTS are interested in this, but I say build a stand alone game for this, don't stick the TS5 title on it. We all should know the single player part of any MO will suffer.

Just think about it for a moment. People wanted butlers, burglars, police back in this game etc. What did they get? Contests/competitions of who could woohoo the most. Who could get the most skulls etc. Some might have found that interesting but in the long run that was a flash pan game element....think how much less you would see for a single player side of a game that has MMO features, you might not even see elderly next time or maybe not children in game.

The money has to be used for MMO. Just like they took the money for TS4 and ran contests instead of going ahead (early on) to add a nanny, butler, burglar, fireman, etc. Then there will be those who enjoy MMO and want more and more contests and competitions and stuff...who do you think will get the biggest part of the budget? If EA and Maxis want to intice players to play a new MMO, well then of course MMO would get the biggest part of the budget. No thanks, Eaxis, half baked features are not my forte.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    ari100 wrote: »
    I heard that The Sims 5 will be online, or at least have an online component. I was wondering who is interested in playing an online game, who isn't and why? Apparently there will still be a single player component. My issue is that I believe a focus on going 'online' will completely take away from the possibilities of expanding on, improving and creating new gameplay for the single player component. I don't want a repeat of "There are no pools, toddlers... ect because we wanted to focus on other things like 'emotions.' I want a complete and new game that sticks to the tradition of The Sims play style and I think it is highly probable we won't get this with a focus on an 'online' component. What do you think?

I don't think it's going to be online.I think they would add multiplayer ability.That would be only online.
    edited February 2020
    ari100 wrote: »
    I heard that The Sims 5 will be online, or at least have an online component. I was wondering who is interested in playing an online game, who isn't and why? Apparently there will still be a single player component. My issue is that I believe a focus on going 'online' will completely take away from the possibilities of expanding on, improving and creating new gameplay for the single player component. I don't want a repeat of "There are no pools, toddlers... ect because we wanted to focus on other things like 'emotions.' I want a complete and new game that sticks to the tradition of The Sims play style and I think it is highly probable we won't get this with a focus on an 'online' component. What do you think?

I don't think it's going to be online.I think they would add multiplayer ability.That would be only online.

For stuff to sync it would be online all the time, or it wouldn't work correctly. During Simport you couldn't save or log off. That meant you had to play TS3 until the other person's Sim arrived, and did their thing or vice versa, even if you were tired or had to quit. Backlash on other players who went ahead and saved and logged off and or had to quit was not a good thing. On the TSO, there would be other people's Sims there but they had walked away for days....you couldn't interact with their Sims on some levels of interactions and gameplay. It was just a grind fest.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    Let's not forget about simcity 4 vs simcity 2013. Simcity 2013 was stripped down to nothing to support the online features. Simcity 4 has so many features that we are still finding out about them today. I would rather have a feature-rich game than online play.
  • Sonata13SingerSonata13Singer Posts: 183 Member
    I would be happy with an option to play online as long as I can still play single player.
    My internet not very good for playing with other players (satellite internet), so no, I'm not really for it.
    3ZWheQM.gif
    Origin ID: Sonata13Singer

I also create music and art (search up Sona13Singer on google... but I haven't been uploading a lot recently)
  • NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    I would be happy with an option to play online as long as I can still play single player.
    I would like to be able to play with my friends online but still want a single-player option. But an online option would have so many of its own issues (trolls, game instability, inability to support mods/CC and a myriad of other programming/development problems) the same should stay either single-player or limited online interaction (the Gallery and chat, for example.)
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    After seeing what EA has done with Sims4, there is no way I am even buying another Sims base game until it is at least two years old. But if this new Sims5 is another online fiasco, I'm out before it even begins. I am kinda tired of this EA mindset of our way or the highway, that has us forced into updating every month with the idea the teams have 'fixes' for a couple bugs in those updates. Or these forced updates break the mods I use that actually fix the game. I don't believe that says much about what will happen if Sims5 does turn out to be an online game. EA should just drop the name Sims5 and call it Sims Freeplay 2 or Sims Mobile 2. It's hardly a secret EA had no idea what it takes to implement and maintain an online game when SimCities epically failed. And we're supposed to trust it has learned from past mistakes and failures when we have made it quite clear this is something we don't want? EA doesn't care what we want when it conflicts with EA's plan to bury us with microtransactions, and totally control the game and how we play it. If Sims5 goes in this direction, you'd better prepare yourself for playing without mods, CC or control of any kind. There will be contests, quests and microtransactions taking the place of sandbox gameplay. And that is not the kind of game I want to play.
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    They tried it before. It flopped...
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited February 2020
    The game/franchise will officially be dead to me if they even dare try to touch online again. The universe gave them 3 signs( now 4-ironically- this post) that we just don't want this ish- why is that so hard to understand? Now if they want an online game, then fine but make it it's own spin-off/separate game so it can crash and burn but don't make it officially sims 5. Sims 4 wasn't supposed to be 4 and now this online thing shouldn't be sims 5. I already don't have much hope for the next game..online will prove my doubts to be correct if they go that route. They didn't get money from me with 4 and they definitely won't get a single coint from me with an online game.
    giphy.gif

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    1) I will never forget when EA/Bioware added multi-player to Mass Effect.
    They made playing muti-player a requirement to get the best endings for the single player game.
    So there I was playing multi-player when I really did not want to do so. A lot of players complained and they reduced the need to play multi-player for the single player game.

But I remain firm in my belief that they will always compromise or make the single player less enjoyable if you don't play multi-player.

2) Multi-player will take attention and budget dollars away from the single player experience.

3) Mods and custom content may be negatively impacted.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • beadierturtlebeadierturtle Posts: 295 Member
    I would like the option to play with a friend, but I'm not interested in playing TS with strangers. I just feel like your typical person who wants to enter other people's Sim world would mostly be interested in causing havoc.
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    It has be a Option and if not then the franchise is dead. To many just games just threw the single player mode in as a selling point and focused in on multiplayer. They also need a Report option for those people that are out to ruin someones game. I have had my share of dealing with 🐸🐸🐸🐸 in multiplayer games and it's not fun.
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited February 2020
    I guess they didn't learn their lesson last time around when they built TS4. Remember that mess?

No, Sims is a private game for just me, myself and I. I do things on the sims that I'd never do in real life, good and bad stuff. I wouldn't ever let my sims do those things if I thought other people could see the very naughty things my sims do when I'm by myself. I find it great therapy to play out terrible things and then make a happy ending, where no happy ending was available in real life.

I just don't want to play my sims with anyone interrupting me. Remember in The Sims 3 with the superstar type pack, people had to bother other players to get ahead. I found that terribly annoying, especially when I'm trying to play and someone wants me to do something with their sim. You feel bad if you don't help them out, at least I did, so I'd rather not have it in the game at all.

Furthermore, there is the phone Sims games, why can't they just let people play those on their PC's. Why do they have to drag us into the mix.

NO! NO online for the regular sims games. Keep it simple, keep it single player.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I am deeply suspicious of Sims 4 going online. This implies the need for a multiplayer aspect which only a tiny minority ever asked for, for the sole purpose of bringing back the microtransactions that were in Sims 3. To say that having cosmetics in Sims 4 is not pay to win, kind of isn't true on account that the entire game is about cosmetics.

Also, I've heard bad things about online communities picking on people who can't afford cosmetics.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • AyeffenAyeffen Posts: 258 Member
    I think collaboration with friends would be fun but it should not be the focus of the game nor should it hold exclusive access to certain content etc.
    1NraNSJ.png
    My Gallery 🏠 | Gamer 🎮 | Husband 👬
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Normally I like options.

I no longer trust EA to make a solid single player, let alone an online one. To have the online option, I'm sure the single player would suffer. TS4 was supposed to be online and it's kind of a mess. My hope for TS5 is they learn from that and start off with a solid single player. Later on if they can make the online work as an option, and the single player won't suffer, I'd be more willing to re-visit the idea then.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    If people want an online feature that is fine but OFFLINE must be the main priority.

It does depend on what online would be as well.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I guess they didn't learn their lesson last time around when they built TS4. Remember that mess?

No, Sims is a private game for just me, myself and I. I do things on the sims that I'd never do in real life, good and bad stuff. I wouldn't ever let my sims do those things if I thought other people could see the very naughty things my sims do when I'm by myself. I find it great therapy to play out terrible things and then make a happy ending, where no happy ending was available in real life.

I just don't want to play my sims with anyone interrupting me. Remember in The Sims 3 with the superstar type pack, people had to bother other players to get ahead. I found that terribly annoying, especially when I'm trying to play and someone wants me to do something with their sim. You feel bad if you don't help them out, at least I did, so I'd rather not have it in the game at all.

Furthermore, there is the phone Sims games, why can't they just let people play those on their PC's. Why do they have to drag us into the mix.

NO! NO online for the regular sims games. Keep it simple, keep it single player.

The mess is not forgotten because it still gets content even now when it should have ended by now!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited February 2020
    You would think they would have learned from the development of Sims 4. I don't even want a piece of it online because it will take away from the development time of single player experience. It already feels light in content. If they have to create online content, offline content, plus across many platforms, expansions will start looking like stuff packs or worse.
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member

The mess is not forgotten because it still gets content even now when it should have ended by now!

Hi, well it may end up being ok. It looks like there might be a viable alternative to the sims coming up in the next couple years, if EA sticks us with a multi-player.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • jkgoodspeedjkgoodspeed Posts: 38 Member
    I remember playing The Sims Online when it came out years and years ago and was so disappointed. I know things have changed for the better with most online games, but I've seen many franchises I love make the switch and/or add an on-line element and it seems like they focus more on that and micro-transactions than they do the main game. Please, please, PLEASE leave me one game where I can be anti-social!
    edited February 2020
    To me the Simming Community since TS1 was a great community to talk about and share Sims and houses/lots. Also, great world builders for TS2 and TS3 shared their work with us and all was good. What this team and EA has done is try to turn The Sims into some sort of competitve game, when it never was. Modders made stuff for the community because they wanted to do it, not to gain any popularity. These days it's all about who can get the biggest followers (which is on Maxis for that type of hype) and who can build the best whatever, (even if it's not, Maxis goes ahead and favors something, even when it shouldn't be, especially if it has cc in it).

If they want to take The Sims back down the road to some multi-player game then go ahead, Maxis, but once you create a monster, what to do with it? Just ask Frankenstein. If you think you have infighting, disputes and arguments, now, go ahead build that MMO and see what kind of community you get then, now that you have successfully turned a friendly game of sharing because we care, into a competition because they need that microtransaction. Go ahead, revive the monster.
  • LMcGELMcGE Posts: 226 Member
    I'm sorry, other than the gallery, I really do not want an online aspect to the game. I know they have this in their mobile games but I do not want other people logging into my game, interacting with my sims, creating new relationships, breaking existing ones.

We would also perhaps be subject to potential griefing from people with nothing else to do but spoil what others have worked on. Sadly this happens in other online games and it would likely be too much to hope it wouldn't happen with The Sims.

Would interactions stick for both parties? They are bound to. Or would we only see what we have done? I still don't like the thought that some alternative reality may be happening for my Sims, people treating them in a way I wouldn't.

So, it's a no from me. Unless, and it is a huge unless, we can opt out of it, and that opt-out actually worked.
    If there would be any part of it multiplayer as CK213 said we can probably guess right now a multiplayer requirement for some things to complete would possibly be a requirement. How else sell those microtransactions that go along with those type games unless you have a hook.