Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Just wondering, what points do you have?

Comments

• GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Though I have a feeling that a lot of people use the "Insightful" in replace of the "dislike" button that they removed. lol
    Haha, yes I think they do indeed. I really don't know why they felt the need to remove the dislike and lol buttons. We're not totally fragile.

lol I know right! It's not as if we are all insecure and can't handle someone disagreeing with us. But that's a topic for another time. lol

But I will say that for the most part when I use the "insightful" it really is because I've learned something new here on the forums.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited February 2020
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    I sincerely think most people use insightfuls the way you all do as well. Just because one simmer told you this, doesn't mean the whole community is "in" on it. I'll continue using my insightfuls for posts I find, you know, insightful / smart / accurate / telling about a person (rarely) 😂

It is certainly more than one individual. You do you. May you come to know peace.

No. Quick history lesson on this:

A few years ago, the forums had a "zabadoo" button meaning "disagree." You can image how well this went over and it didn't last long. THEN we had a LOL button, and this was clearly used to harass people and that also went away. SO some people tried to get "insightful" to mean disagree, but it never caught on. A lot of people made it clear that they would use "insightful" to mean exactly what it means, and really, most of the people who were using the buttons to harass others are gone now.

Given that this happened several years ago anyway, and that movement was so short lived (one or two days), it really is unlikely that there's a troll or three left, hitting "insightful" as a way to bully people when absolutely almost no one knows about that whole stupid incident.

Edit: or perhaps I need to get very insecure and wonder how many of my 817 insightfuls are negative. Uh, heh, done with that now :dizzy:

It is a shame that that whole thing was brought up, though. A "movement" is hardly effective when absolutely no one knows about it. It gets boring for the participants too :smiley:
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Though I have a feeling that a lot of people use the "Insightful" in replace of the "dislike" button that they removed. lol
    Haha, yes I think they do indeed. I really don't know why they felt the need to remove the dislike and lol buttons. We're not totally fragile.

lol I know right! It's not as if we are all insecure and can't handle someone disagreeing with us. But that's a topic for another time. lol

But I will say that for the most part when I use the "insightful" it really is because I've learned something new here on the forums.

I think that post voting on the whole is counterproductive to a healthy community. With downvotes it becomes a case of dogpiling the unpopular. With upvotes it becomes a case of farming likes. Neither encourages healthy discussion.
  • sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member

Although it says I joined in 2014, I have been around since the late Sims 2 days and for all of TS3. When this forum was made, I wasn't able to get my TS3 ID to work so I had to make a new one :/

USERNAME
    sillyangel0906

VISITS

LAST ACTIVE
    January 16

ROLES
    General

BADGES

Reactions

Promote

Insightful

Awesome
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    0 Promotes
    223 Insightful
    3.3k Likes
    1.8k Awesome
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I'm sorry for people who's comments I've clicked "insightful". I had no idea it was meant for downvotes. I guess I won't use it anymore. :(

I don't think it is. I believe there used to be a downvotes button of sorts but they removed it, so I don't think insightful is.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,836 Member
    edited February 2020
    @Felicity gave you a well deserved insightful for that explanation.

@OEII1001 from now on you'll get likes so there's no misunderstandings. 😄
    edited February 2020

ROFL! I will take that to mean it was full of information you did not know! <3

Edit: I really am sorry that whole nonsense was brought up again. It was so long ago and it was just a small group of people trying to troll. Given that their posts did not stay up (for obvious reasons), it just never had a chance to catch on. I think it really is too bad that now it's going to make people wonder about the community as it takes a bit of the warmness out of it. I don't mind disagree buttons and it was too bad that people couldn't handle the "zabadoo" or "LOL" buttons, but they really were being used to hurt. I remember one forum member having a group of about 20 people (or 1 person on 20 accounts, I don't know) always hitting "LOL" on them no matter what they said.

This board has not always been great about it handled trolls, but buttongate is truly in the past.

Edit: I gave you a well-deserved awesome ;)
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    All this time on here, I had no idea insightful was a downvote. Wish I would have known that earlier. Why name it "insightful" if it's meant to be negative.

Anyway, here's mine.
    Promote
    Insightful
    Awesome
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,836 Member
    Felicity wrote: »

Exactly!
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    Bluegayle wrote: »
    I just had to check your promoted thread and so happy I did. I love Stardew Valley and you have done an awesome job on the recreation.

Thank you! It was a very fun project, and I've been looking for something similar for some time :)

I've never heard/read that "Insightful" means anything else than just that. I'll certainly not stop giving them out just because a minority of members use it as a downvote. That's their "problem". I'll still use it for posts I find informative, tell me something new, express opinions I strongly agree with, and that I think is worth a bit more than an "Awesome" (which can also be used in a negative, sarcastic way, I suppose....)

Edit: I really am sorry that whole nonsense was brought up again. It was so long ago and it was just a small group of people trying to troll. Given that their posts did not stay up (for obvious reasons), it just never had a chance to catch on. I think it really is too bad that now it's going to make people wonder about the community as it takes a bit of the warmness out of it. I don't mind disagree buttons and it was too bad that people couldn't handle the "zabadoo" or "LOL" buttons, but they really were being used to hurt. I remember one forum member having a group of about 20 people (or 1 person on 20 accounts, I don't know) always hitting "LOL" on them no matter what they said.

This board has not always been great about it handled trolls, but buttongate is truly in the past.

My most sincere apologies for being nonsensical. When will I learn?

@OEII1001 from now on you'll get likes so there's no misunderstandings. 😄

Or, perhaps, just not vote on my posts at all. As I said, post voting is not something that I think is healthy for a community.
    edited February 2020

I didn't say that you were being nonsensical -- the whole trying to change the button's meaning was nonsense, not you. I'm just sorry you brought it up given that people are using the button the way it is supposed to be used. I'm glad the whole thing never caught on, but by talking about it, you give the thing a little bit of power that it didn't have when no one knew about it.

I didn't say that you were being nonsensical -- the whole trying to change the button's meaning was nonsense, not you. I'm just sorry your brought it up given that people are using the button the way it is supposed to be used. I'm glad the whole thing never caught on, but by talking about it, you give the thing a little bit of power that it didn't have when no one knew about it.

How "insightful".
    edited February 2020

I didn't say that you were being nonsensical -- the whole trying to change the button's meaning was nonsense, not you. I'm just sorry your brought it up given that people are using the button the way it is supposed to be used. I'm glad the whole thing never caught on, but by talking about it, you give the thing a little bit of power that it didn't have when no one knew about it.

How "insightful".

Now I'm wishing for that "LOL" button back! *grin*

Edit: Have a fantastic evening or day or morning depending on your time in the world.

How "insightful".

And I think this will end our discourse. You won't blame me, I assume, if I use one of the buttons at my disposal. Farewell.

How "insightful".

And I think this will end our discourse. You won't blame me, I assume, if I use one of the buttons at my disposal. Farewell.

Yikes, you were being serious. I doubt you'll see this, but JIC, it was not my intent to offend. I honestly didn't see your comment as serious. Good luck to you!
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    0 Promote
    1.9K Insightful
    28.3K Like
    13.8K Awesome

I miss the LOL button. :( I had a bunch of those LOL clicks and they were all gone in a day... Sighhhhh...
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    0 Promote
    342 Insightful
    3.5k Likes
    1.8k Awesome

I've been here eight years, and I'm pretty sure a lot of those "Insightfuls" happened after we decided they are down votes.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    - 164 Insightfuls
    - 2.6K Likes
    - 1.2K Awesomes

4436 points total.
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    I sincerely think most people use insightfuls the way you all do as well. Just because one simmer told you this, doesn't mean the whole community is "in" on it. I'll continue using my insightfuls for posts I find, you know, insightful / smart / accurate / telling about a person (rarely) 😂

i often think there is a conspiracy at work when comments with no real value get the most votes and those honest quotes are almost ignored. i still think that way when specific users make comments and garner more like a popularity contest.

just my mind at work most days seeing these little things working away, rather interesting seeing it all going.
    Hoverael wrote: »

i often think there is a conspiracy at work when comments with no real value get the most votes and those honest quotes are almost ignored. i still think that way when specific users make comments and garner more like a popularity contest.

just my mind at work most days seeing these little things working away, rather interesting seeing it all going.

There is quite literally a leader board here, with both weekly and all-time leaders continually updated. Farming points becomes a competition, and that competition only fosters cycles of negativity. Want some quick and easy upvotes? Post something nasty about someone.
  • WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    Ravager619 wrote: »
    0 Promote
    342 Insightful
    3.5k Likes
    1.8k Awesome

I've been here eight years, and I'm pretty sure a lot of those "Insightfuls" happened after we decided they are down votes.

Huh??? Call me naïve, but I always thought "insightful" was for when someone commented something helpful that you didn't already know before. At least, that's how I've been using it! Can't believe I've been doing it wrong this whole time :s

Jokes aside, I hope people aren't using "insightful" to disagree with people, that'd be pretty shifty...
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    edited February 2020
    I refuse to let other people who abuse "Insightful" as a downvote to rob me of the intended use of "Insightful" to signify "this taught me something useful about the game".

Glad to hear it was short-lived. Sorry to hear some are still attempting to perpetuate it.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    I wouldn't worry too much about the insightful button. It's usually pretty clear from the post itself whether people are genuinely marking it as insightful, as I'm sure many do.

If it gets used as a down vote, who cares? Just ignore it. I'm sure loads of my insightful points are down votes lol. I'm not gonna cry myself to sleep over it.

Probably it will get removed anyway if a guru reads this thread .