Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Vintage Newcrest Year 1

Comments

• 15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    Vivian: Oh, okay. I wouldn’t want to upset the schedule. (makes out with Manny)

LOL! :D
    I love Manny's sense of humor.
  • BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    @QueenofMyshuno I'd have said the plotline for the soap Vivian was watching with her Mum was an interesting twist with the friends in soap plotline if that makes sense. I sat and thought days of our lives, days of our lives....ooh yes! I thought it was a clever add in to be honest, bringing something that is known and fictional to something that is Simsfic, it gave it that sense of familiarity, like the Bette Davis film on the television and the Mark Twain books. It makes the story relateable for us non sims and puts the sims a little closer to us. I like it!
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    15aewar wrote: »
    LOL! :D
    I love Manny's sense of humor.

Haha, thanks! A lot of his relatives have that same silly sense of humor.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
    Bloosmoo wrote: »
    I'd have said the plotline for the soap Vivian was watching with her Mum was an interesting twist with the friends in soap plotline if that makes sense. I sat and thought days of our lives, days of our lives....ooh yes! I thought it was a clever add in to be honest, bringing something that is known and fictional to something that is Simsfic, it gave it that sense of familiarity, like the Bette Davis film on the television and the Mark Twain books. It makes the story relateable for us non sims and puts the sims a little closer to us. I like it!

Thank you so much! I wasn't sure how all the music/book/film/tv references would be received--would readers be into it or would they just be annoyed by it? So, I'm glad to hear you like it and I'm on the right track. That just made my day!

Winterfest Group Photo

The gifts have been exchanged, the turkey has been eaten, and the women have washed most of the dishes and put the leftovers away.

173fd6a59b0454c8402370d1950443166c064cfa.png
    Kyle: We have to go Mr. Bell.
    Wesley: But you haven’t had dessert yet.
    Kyle: I know. We’re having dessert at Martha’s family’s house.
    Wesley: Oh, I see. Well let’s get a group photo real quick before you go. It will just take a few minutes.

0e459c6479313046249a611d0f1f142d3a9b32c0.png
    Joey helps Wesley set up the shot.

Joey: I think we should pull out the couch and put the couples in the back and then have you, Mrs. Bell, and Comfort on the couch. I’ll stand to the side.

Comfort hears them and protests.

Comfort: I don’t want to be sitting down; I want to stand.
    Joey: Okay, I’ll sit on the couch, and Comfort, you can stand to the side.
    Wesley: That sounds reasonable. Let’s do that.

Joey and Manny pull out the couch, and Wesley starts directing people where to go.

7aab9f34f373061d3bbd46263f5db625c7892338.png
    Demoyn: Did you remember to turn it on? Last time, you didn’t remember to turn it on, and we were sitting here for 20 minutes.
    Wesley: Yes, dear. I remembered to turn it on.
    Demoyn: Did you take the lens cap off?
    Wesley: This one doesn’t have a lens cap.
    Demoyn: Are you sure? You won’t be able to get a picture with the lens cap on.
    Wesley: Yes, dear. I’m sure.

6d30992b081152e82a3c016bdc395e1bcfdcc2fa.png
    Comfort: How should I stand? Should I face in or face out?

Comfort shifts back and forth, trying out different stances.

Vivian: Why don’t you just face the camera?
    Comfort: Because if I’m at an angle, then I won’t look fat.

17d3ded03b08e08b32e63d10ea249043eb6dbac8.png
    Vivian: Are you kidding me? You’re not going to look fat no matter what because you’re not fat. Just stand normally.
    Comfort: I think I’ll face out.

4a6a35af72a8a9668ed8ba6fee95b51da78142bd.png
    Kyle: (through clenched teeth) Just keep smiling. We’re neeeever getting out of here.
    Martha: I’m beginning to realize that.

82d2dbbeb9a916c20d84b19e1062c2d5096c3dc4.png
    Demoyn: Why didn’t Delilah come today?
    Joey: I’m not going out with Delilah anymore. I’m dating Irene.
    Demoyn: (matter-of-factly) Why does that not surprise me? Why didn’t Irene come today?
    Joey: Because she’s out of town visiting her relatives for the holidays.

820e0271737c495f660a9799a8d68aa8fcf9258a.png
    Wesley: Okay, everybody smile and act like you like each other.

Wesley finishes adjusting the shot, sets the timer, and hurries to his spot on the couch. The timer goes off, and the camera snaps a photo.

7fdc72c5da69e9be25763be090bafd5b0d3f5edc.png
    Merry Winterfest from Newcrest!

Standing, Left to Right:
    Comfort Rose Bell
    Julie Anne Conner
    Nathaniel Maui Conner
    Manny Mana Conner
    Vivian Denise Conner
    Martha Marie Weaver
    Kyle Lilo Conner

Seated, Left to Right:
    Joseph (Joey) Lee Darby
    Demoyn Suzette Bell
    Wesley Thomas Bell

Poses:
    Basic Poses 1 by someone-elsa​ on Tumblr
    Prom Night by katverse​ on Tumblr
    Couples Photoshoot by katverse​ on Tumblr
    Groupe de Poses Titanium by Delise at sims-artists.fr
    Simple Sitting Poses Remix by atashi77​ on Tumblr

Pose links on my mirror Tumblr post.
    I had a collection of posts in draft, but I’m all caught up now. In addition, I’m not playing my game right now because I’m currently working on getting the first issue of Simlish Magazine out. So there will be a delay before the next story post.

In the meantime, you are now part of the story. Please answer the following question…

You’re young and single and living in Newcrest. One night, you go to the Aqua Bar for a drink and see Gavin Todd at the bar. You’ve never actually met him, but you know him by reputation. Somehow, the two of you end up talking and he’s charming and funny. Surprisingly, you’re actually really enjoying your conversation. After a couple of drinks, you tell him you have to go and catch the trolley. He offers to walk you to the trolley station, and you agree. The two of you head downstairs. There’s nobody else around. When you get to the bottom of the stairs, instead of going toward the exit door on the left, Gavin takes your arm and pulls you into a little alcove on the right. He tells you you’re beautiful and asks you if you want to make out. What do you say?
    I think he's the type of guy who doesn't appreciate anything unless he works for it. So I think I'd have to tell him no, not tonight Gavin, it's not what I do on the first time of meeting anyone. Or alternatively just have at him and blow his mind, I mean really blow it to the point where he turns up at the front door in a maid outfit he's that desperate for more of the same thing.... I dont' get flirting or dating ettiquette in real life, so perhaps not the best advice to take lol
    Incidentally that family photo! Amazing! How long did it take to get everyone posed like that?
  • 15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    Yay! This is like a choose your own adventure question.
    I'd have to say no, too. I would hate it if someone who didn't know me grabbed me like that. A girl's got to be really careful in this world. I'd probably vow to never go to that place again. Maybe the local church would be a better place to meet people? Hopefully, they would respect my boundaries there.
    @Bloosmoo LOL -- I like your 2 options for how to deal with Gavin.

Thank you so much for your comment on the family photo! OMG that took so much longer than I anticipated. I think it was probably 8 or 9 hours total, from dressing everyone to publishing the final piece. Four hours of that was working on poses. First, I took each couple and experimented with different poses for them; Vivian's generous curves cause a lot of clipping with many poses, so that took awhile. Once I knew which poses I wanted, I put everyone in place, but I didn't get the spacing from the couch and from each other the first time around, so I had to re-do. If you mess someone up and try to re-do the teleporter for them, then everyone else pops out of their poses; so, if you re-do one pose, then you have to re-do all the poses (those are 7 different poses in the picture). Also, I didn't realize this, but even if you change something in another room in build mode (which I did), they pop out of their poses. So yeah, it took awhile, haha.
    15aewar wrote: »
    Yay! This is like a choose your own adventure question.
    I'd have to say no, too. I would hate it if someone who didn't know me grabbed me like that. A girl's got to be really careful in this world. I'd probably vow to never go to that place again. Maybe the local church would be a better place to meet people? Hopefully, they would respect my boundaries there.

Yes! I was going for a short "choose your own adventure" type thing. Okay, I'll have to build a church in Newcrest so you can meet some nice guys, heehee. (That's actually on my list of things to do.)

Commenting on my own post, but....

1) I think Joey looks super hot in that shirt and pose. After I took the picture, I was like "looking good, Joey."

2) I would totally make out with Gavin. He's not good boyfriend material, but a one-time makeout sesh? Yeah, I'm up for it. :p
    @15aewar Choose your own adventure, I've not read one of those for years! I used to love those though admittedly most of the ones I read were by Steve Jackson, but if they still do them, I need names lol (Comepletely fangirling here)

@QueenofMyshuno I love this thread it's so much fun, especially the questions about the characters. The pose process sounds....horrendous if I'm honest, so I'm impressed yet again with your dedication to detail. My patience would have snapped at that point and my mouse would have hit the window. (Irl I make loads of tiny delicate things out of beads, and 1/48th scale minis you'd think I'd have more patience with electronics, I don't!) So you have both my sympathies for Sims that won't behave and stay put and awe for perseverance under duress. I'll just sit here and silently scream for you lol

Vivian's generous curves are great despite clipping, it's so nice to see a Sim who is curvy and to read one about curvy and loving it! Mind you she landed Lava Man so obviously she's working it well. Commenting on your own post isn't a bad thing lol, I sit and appreciate my own sims like that too hehe, I think we all do secretly. Joey does look good in that shirt, though I think it's all about the chin and that big dimple (sucker for dimples) and the way he's stood there like, yeah, I know I'm fine, capital F! As for Gavin I have to agree with you on that one, I know I said he looks a bit like an evil penguin, but yeah that nose...is...(on all of the sims I make myself :o )
    @Bloosmoo Aww thank you! Your participation makes this thread so much fun for me! Working with poses usually isn't that bad; that scene was the exception. What kind of things are you doing in 1/48th scale? I have a dollhouse shadowbox of a kitchen that's in 1-inch scale. I love miniatures.

This line cracked me up, haha: "I'll just sit here and silently scream for you"

As far as Vivian's curves, I don't think she would have been considered all that "extra" in that timeframe. And, as we know, Manny does like them plump. I think if she existed in this era, she would have body issues, but in her own timeframe, she feels happy and confident in with her appearance and attractiveness.

This had me laughing, too! "and the way he's stood there like, yeah, I know I'm fine, capital F!" That describes Joey perfectly. :D
    1;48th is quarterscale, or OO scale think tinymodel railways where you decorate and do the insides as well as just the outside. I don't sadly have room for a model railway (One day when I win the lottery it'll be there along with a Sylvanian Families room!) so I make the little cottages and houses (google Petite Properties...it will be love lol) I'm glad I made you laugh, we could all use one. I love talking about the Sims and watching what you and other who share do with theirs. It's not the most inclusive of hobbies, you either love simming or you just don't get it. So it's nice to be able to talk about them without someone saying...you do know these aren't real don't you? I always act shocked and say...but, but I saw them on the computer yesterday, just like I'm skyping you now! Watch the existental crisis ensue!
    edited May 2020
    @Bloosmoo Okay, yes, I'm familiar with quarter-inch scale, but I didn't realize it was also called 1/48th. How cool that you're into that. I'm not good with making stuff irl, so I'm more of a collector of tiny things, LOL.

Haha, I like your answer to "the sims aren't real."
    Okay, you guys, it has been SO LONG (1 week) since I posted a scene, and it was seriously making me anxious not to be able to tell the story of the lives of my darling sims! I'm back at it, and I'm going to try for an every-other-day schedule through the end of Year 1 since every day is just too hard to maintain. New scene coming up in a few minutes...
    edited May 2020
    New Years: How Long Has This Been Going On

892049ec843ca81c76c7b7b623eceb01f60ca2b6.png
    It’s New Year’s Eve, and Vivian and Manny are celebrating at the Bear Lodge (where Manny is a member) like they do every year.

94efe5009a1e5375ae74adf69e9b102ab531c3c0.png
    To everyone’s surprise, Janay shows up with Dean as her date, and the two of them are acting very lovey dovey. The girls gather around to talk to her as soon as they get a chance. The question on everyone’s mind...how long has this been going on??

af63b6a6dd3f0cc07ae2cba2e0a5dfaa90945b5e.png
    Vivian: How long has this been going on??
    Janay: We’ve been dating since we met at your barbecue in the fall.
    Vivian: And you’re just now telling us? Your best friends?

bee6ce3b33a5461e3f3c6ce11897eb4d8ab36dc1.png
    Janay: (apologetically) Well, yes, sorry. We wanted to keep it to ourselves until we got to know each other a little better. Plus, you know how strict my dad is. We haven’t been allowed to date unchaperoned yet, but my dad says we can go on dates by ourselves starting next year. So, it has been kind of a slow process.
    Comfort: This is fantastic. Congratulations!
    Vivian: Yes, congratulations!
    Shandra: So...your dad goes on dates with you? Does that mean you kiss in front of him?
    Janay: (laughs and blushes) Oh my goodness, Shandra, you ask the most personal questions. (avoiding the question) Here comes Dean now. Maybe we can all sit down somewhere and talk.
    Vivian: Yes, let’s do that.
    Post edited by QueenofMyshuno on
    New Years: The Bear Lodge

3a4be8f15cfc6af30d88379f551ff1307512ec9b.png
    Dean: So this is the infamous Bear Lodge I’ve been hearing about for so long.
    Vivian: This is it! What do you think so far?

c596ea644d32129b298c630ce51ae254ac755f39.png
    Dean: It seems fun, but I still don’t really get what it’s about.

66d8e79d5db23f231d49084e0886a142499441f2.png
    Janay: It’s mainly just a social club, but we sometimes raise money for charity, too.
    Dean: And it’s for both men and women?

c537df53ac51963a02877ed6d758c547ef96a059.png
    Vivian: Well no, the Bear Lodge is for men, and any man in good standing in the community can join. And then the women have their own auxiliary club called the Mama Bears, and you have to have a family member in the Bear Lodge recommend you in order to get into the Mama Bears. And then both male and female teens of Bear Lodge members have their own auxiliary club called Bear Cubs.
    Janay: My dad’s a member and so is Vivian’s, so that’s how we got our Mama Bear memberships. Before that, we were Bear Cubs together.
    Manny: The lodge mainly attracts working class stiffs like us, so there are a lot of good, down-to-earth people here.

a1888c49aea2006a19913e496616cf7b822c9335.png
    Shandra: This place is usually closed to non-members, but on special occasions like tonight, they let guests like us in.
    Dean: Oh, I thought you were a member, Shandra.
    Shandra: No, unfortunately, my dad and brother aren’t interested in joining.
    Dean: And what does “good standing in the community” mean?
    Manny: It just means you haven’t been convicted of a serious crime in the past 5 years.
    Dean: Sounds good. How do I sign up?

e0570e20a37163241236d56e0238b202b379f48b.png
    Manny: You fill out an application and put me down as a reference. Then they do a background check, you pay your dues, you go through the secret initiation ceremony, and you’re in.
    Dean: Secret initiation ceremony?! What happens in a secret initiation ceremony?
    Manny: I can’t tell you. Its a secret.
    Oh dear, now I'm intruiged, I've heard a lot of things about some secret society's and seen a lot on Buffy....does your Newcrest have it's own Bohemian Grove? Somehow I don't see Manny as the snake god worshiping type of guy, but who knows? Will they blindfold the new guy and make him shake hands with a fishes tail or something?
    edited May 2020
    @Bloosmoo I actually don't know what happens at the secret initiation either, and I won't until I write it, haha. I can't imagine it's anything too out there, though, since Wesley Bell is a member, and Mr. Bell wouldn't put up with any hocus pocus type stuff. I might wait until a more major character gets initiated to explore this scene--then you and I will both find out what happens at the secret initiation ceremonies, LOL.
    New Years: Ken’s Hot Tomato

Ken, who hasn’t been on a date for almost a year, shows up at the Bear Lodge on New Year’s Eve with a beautiful woman, and everyone is wondering who she is.

92bf318d9b1c848fc55669986e8ae88ec334cc76.png
    Shayne: Who’s the tomato with Ken?
    Joey: No idea.

Ken makes the rounds and proudly introduces Jane Lo to his friends.

da75e4295be8da0cec67a1822e046ecb64a06741.png
    Later, Ken and Joey stop to talk to each other on their way to the bar to get drinks for their dates. They greet each other with the secret Bear Lodge handshake.

Joey: So how’d you manage to get a hot dish like that to go out with the likes of you?
    Ken: What can I say? Beautiful ladies love me. I have to beat them off with a stick. We met at the barber shop. I could tell she was into me right away.
    Joey: What was a girl doing at a barber shop?

db1af98806a8653917beb512cdad85ef747b21cf.png
    Meanwhile, their dates are talking to each other, too.

Irene: Ken is such a sweet guy. How did you two meet?
    Jane: I’m a hairdresser, and our washer broke, so I went next door to the barber shop because they let me use theirs. Ken was there getting a cut and a shave. I didn’t even notice him at first.

0acf1690a241e59e5fced9ddf81319755169f1f1.png
    Ken: ...As she was about to leave, I paid her a compliment. Well, that had her hooked right there. I asked her out, and she made up some excuse so that I had to come over to her hair salon to get an answer. I think she wanted to show me off to her friends.

28df378611eae6e4ee3d8297ce334b3ab16aa408.png
    Jane: ...As I was leaving, he shouted, “Hey lady, I like purple, too.” It took me a second to realize he was talking to me because I was wearing a lavender top. Then he asked me out, but he had shaving cream all over his face, so I told him to come next door and ask me again when he was finished so I could make sure he wasn’t ugly. He did, and I said, “yes,” and here we are.
    @15aewar Haha, glad I could make you laugh. I have to keep it real (and real sexist) for the timeframe, LOL.
    New Years: Free Drinks

0f0c4e22b61ee7a9f4b50170387ee7dfbbd83c89.png
    Kyle and Martha arrive at the Bear Lodge to celebrate New Year’s Eve.

Martha: This place is so cool. I usually just spend New Years in front of the television with my family. I’m so excited for tonight!
    Kyle: I’m glad. What should we do first?
    Martha: Ooh, a dart board. Let’s play darts!

5a1d26f11674afbf8881e83cb12a3aa363b6ff98.png
    Wesley comes over while the two of them are playing darts.

Wesley: Nice to see you again, young lady (shakes Martha’s hand), young man (shakes Kyle’s hand).
    Kyle: Hello, Mr. Bell.
    Martha: Nice to see you Mr. Bell.
    Wesley: How are you liking the Bear Lodge so far, Martha?
    Martha: I love it!
    Wesley: Good to hear. We want all our guests to be happy. Just ask Kyle or anyone if you need anything, and also drinks at the bar are free for teens.
    Martha: Really??
    Kyle: He means the non-alcoholic ones.
    Martha: Oh, I thought they were going to serve us beer or something (laughs).
    Wesley: (chuckles) You’d better keep an eye on this one, Kyle. Well, I’m going to make the rounds. You two have fun. And Martha, remember…
    Martha: Yes, sir?
    Wesley: (smiles, leans in, and shakes his finger at her) No beer.
    Martha: (giggles) Okay, Mr. Bell.

Wesley walks off to greet someone else, and Martha and Kyle go back to playing darts.