Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Domestic Features Needed...

I want to see more domestic actions in the game. I really need these for some story ideas in game play like a Cinderella & Desperate Housewives, etc. stories & challenges; my sims needs CHORES! Chores that take time. To do these chores frequently & regularly maybe the game can require this behavior of sims with a aneat Freak trait which can be a SUPER version of the Neat trait. This way, the players that would prefer to avoid this gameplay can opt out by simply not applying the trait. These sims can do tasks that other sims have no option to do. Neat sims only get a few (the bare minimum tasks that they cure do). For instance, we have had washing machines and dryers, but how about the neat freak sim having an option to separate colors & accidentally getting a colored sock mixed w/ white laundry? What about:

- Vacuuming and sweeping all unoccupied areas of floor
- Clean toilets though they look fine
- Yell at sims that leave there personal items around the house
- Mopping/scrubbing bathrooms and kitchens even without a puddle or them looking dingy
- Dusting around the house
- Ironing clothes and sorting them into piles and putting them away into each room w/ a bed & closet/wardrobe
- When washing dishes either in the sink or dishwasher it doesn't just disappear but they put it away in the cupboards
- The ability for sims (especially kids) to break dishes
- Kids can overflow the bathtub
- Cleaning/scrubbing the oven, not just the top of it
- Cleaning out the chimney if the house has a fireplace
- Make bed & option to change sheets
- Wash windows
- Whisk furniture
- Send a sim grocery shopping (interface pop up where players pick the food/cleaning/books, etc. the house needs) then the sim disappears down rabbit hole for 30mins - 1.5hrs depending on the number of items. They return home w/ items in inventory. (PLEASE GIVE AN OPTION TO EMPTY ALL NON-SPOILD FOOD ITEMS INTO THE FRIDGE!)
- Send sims down other rabbit hole to go pickup kids from school (let players choose this when toddlers age up... ‘do you want your child to walk home/bus home/or will you pick them up?’ If parents pick bussing then they have to get their kids bus passes (no matter what aging cycle the players select make bus passes require renewal every 30 sim days & a parent sim even if not the at home parent can go down the rabbit hole to get & pay for new passes. If kids have no pass they can miss school or parents can take them to school. If parents opt to pick up kids they must also take them in the mornings & they get a reminder pop up 2hrs prior.)

ALSO, PLEASE FORCE SIMS TO EAT THEIR SACK LUNCHES WHILE AWAY AT WORK & SCHOOL. 🤗

Comments

• x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Sounds great! Love it! It should be applied to the butler & maid too. :D
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Might as well scratch off making the bed and vacuuming from the list. They intentionally forced Sims to always make the bed for a reason. They made the vacuum a robot vacuum (Cats & Dogs Pack) instead of showing Sims actually vacuuming for a reason.

Idk the reasons but hey it is what it is.

I like slob Sims though and it would be nice if they had more things they could do to dirty up themselves and their homes.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Love it! I would like to buy a Home Maintenance Stuff Pack. Every time I hang the Ironing Board on the wall I wish I could use it. I would add some outside home maintenance chores to your list too, like:

shoveling snow off patio, walkways
    mowing the lawn
    cleaning the eavestrough
    sweeping the patio, walkways
    weeding dandelions from the lawn
    removing ant colonies
    removing beehives from the wall or roof
    knocking down icicles from the eavestrough
    repairing leaks in the roof

• GageaGagea Posts: 1,274 Member
    Shouldn't this topic better be moved to The Sims 4 Ideas Corner?
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I'd love more chores and household duties. Vacuuming, dusting, ironing, lawn mowing, and fence painting are at the top of my list. I'd also like chimney sweeping. And a 100% YES PLEASE to a grocery store. I want my sims to go grocery shopping so much. I can't believe 6 years into this game, we don't have something as simple and common as going grocery shopping.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I miss some of the domestic chores we had in previous games, but I can see that many players would say, 'I hate doing this in real life, why would I want to do it in the game?', which is why many things have been eliminated with progressive Sims games. Personally, I hate cleaning, but it's fun with my Sims. (I think because things actually get clean, and there aren't as many chores as in real life.)

Things I'd like to see return: bed-making (choice rather than automatic), light bulb changing (though it was sometimes annoying) and watering the non-harvestable landscaping plants. I think we used to be able to wash windows, as well?
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    I really miss my sims having to make their bed in the morning. It added a level of personality that some sims fixed it up, whereas others left it until bed the following night.

All of your suggestions sound amazing, they'd add a nice level to the game!
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    That sounds... so boring. I know it's a life simulator, but I don't want my sims to constantly be doing chores when they could be out socializing, building their skills, or doing something fun.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I would love these things :)
    I miss some of the domestic chores we had in previous games, but I can see that many players would say, 'I hate doing this in real life, why would I want to do it in the game?', which is why many things have been eliminated with progressive Sims games. Personally, I hate cleaning, but it's fun with my Sims. (I think because things actually get clean, and there aren't as many chores as in real life.)

Things I'd like to see return: bed-making (choice rather than automatic), light bulb changing (though it was sometimes annoying) and watering the non-harvestable landscaping plants. I think we used to be able to wash windows, as well?

It'd be nice if bed making was tied in to some of the traits. Like neat Sims would automatically make the beds, and slob ones would never do it automatically. Other sims would maybe do it sometimes but if they didn't you could tell them to, like washing dishes now, and maybe the more you tell them to the more likely they'd do it on their own.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    That sounds... so boring. I know it's a life simulator, but I don't want my sims to constantly be doing chores when they could be out socializing, building their skills, or doing something fun.

Hire a maid?? Currently, the maid barely has anything to do. The bed is made, dishes are usually done and maybe the maid will have load of laundry to do if you have the stuff pack. I stopped playing with the butler in my wealthy sim homes because they spent all day spraying desk with a spray bottle because there was nothing for them to really do.
    keekee53 wrote: »

Hire a maid?? Currently, the maid barely has anything to do. The bed is made, dishes are usually done and maybe the maid will have load of laundry to do if you have the stuff pack. I stopped playing with the butler in my wealthy sim homes because they spent all day spraying desk with a spray bottle because there was nothing for them to really do.

I stopped playing with a butler because 4 butlers in a row died after 4 days of service lol. (They varied in age from YA to Elder, they had access to their own bathroom, kitchen, and bedroom, which I saw them using on a regular basis, but day 4 they drop dead for no apparent reason... haha. No mods... My home must have been cursed?)

::g:: Yes, this is exactly what I meant about some players not liking chores. I was thrilled to get laundry (one of the few domestic chores I do regularly, if only because I don't want to be stinky), but I know many weren't so excited about it. I'm glad we have a choice - even if you buy the pack, you don't have to do laundry. Sometimes, it gets in the way of other things I want my Sims to do, so I don't put laundry facilities on the lot, and my Sims' clothing stays magically clean. (I've no idea how they managed back in the days of The Sims, when they only had one outfit, poor things.)
  • LexLennonLexLennon Posts: 134 Member
    ...I can see that many players would say, 'I hate doing this in real life, why would I want to do it in the game?'...

Agreed, but I think the behavior I mentioned should be directly linked to a trait that the player can assign or sims can eventually earn based on how they live their lives. So, the players that dislike the cleaning ideas they can simply NOT assign the Neat Freak trait and maybe only assign the basic Neat trait, which we've ALL seen means very little needs to get done. :smiley:

As said in the post, I think the behaviors I mentioned should be directly linked to a trait that the player can assign or sims can eventually earn based on how they live their lives. So, the players that dislike the cleaning ideas they can simply NOT assign the Neat Freak trait and maybe only assign the basic Neat trait, which we've ALL seen means very little needs to get done. :wink:

PREACH!!!! Say it louder for the people in the back. hahaha

I stopped playing with a butler because 4 butlers in a row died after 4 days of service lol. (They varied in age from YA to Elder, they had access to their own bathroom, kitchen, and bedroom, which I saw them using on a regular basis, but day 4 they drop dead for no apparent reason... haha. No mods... My home must have been cursed?)

WOW! What were they dying from? Was it always the same cause of death every time? That's crazy! Hahaha
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    LexLennon wrote: »
    WOW! What were they dying from? Was it always the same cause of death every time? That's crazy! Hahaha

Could it be a lack of fun?
    ...I can see that many players would say, 'I hate doing this in real life, why would I want to do it in the game?'...

Agreed, but I think the behavior I mentioned should be directly linked to a trait that the player can assign or sims can eventually earn based on how they live their lives. So, the players that dislike the cleaning ideas they can simply NOT assign the Neat Freak trait and maybe only assign the basic Neat trait, which we've ALL seen means very little needs to get done. :smiley:

It would only work if the things to be cleaned weren't dirty. Otherwise, even Sims without the neat trait will get a bad moodlet from the dirty object and wave their arms complaining about it. (I had Sims constantly complaining about something dirty at one point. It drove me batty, trying to find the problem. It turned out to be a pile of ash right next to the wall, where I couldn't see it.) And the maids are worthless.

One idea would be to allow Sims to do 'maintenance' cleaning that keeps items from ever getting to the point of gross. So, if your neat Sim cleans the toilet every day, whether it's dirty or not, it never gets that green cloud of disgusting.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member

Rather than just a trait, it should be a toggle able option, with 3 settings.

Keep things as they are for the bare minimum housework.

The second setting should add more accident related housework, such as the overflowing bath, things broken by children and clumsy sims, more mess made by pets, a few weeds in the garden, the retirement for bed making, at least occasionally, etc.

And the third options should be mother's work is never done, with all of the above, plus, floors that requiring cleaning every 3-5 days, depending on the number of sims who have been through the room, bathrooms having an increase in dirtiness, dirty clothes accumulating, regardless of if you have the laundry pack, and a hamper to drop them in to tidy up, more weeds in the garden, a patch of lawn that needs mowing every 5-7 days, swimming pools that need cleaning, especially in Autumn, pots and pans accumulate from cooking, and need to be scrubbed and washed...

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
    Movotti wrote: »

Rather than just a trait, it should be a toggle able option, with 3 settings.

Keep things as they are for the bare minimum housework.

The second setting should add more accident related housework, such as the overflowing bath, things broken by children and clumsy sims, more mess made by pets, a few weeds in the garden, the retirement for bed making, at least occasionally, etc.

And the third options should be mother's work is never done, with all of the above, plus, floors that requiring cleaning every 3-5 days, depending on the number of sims who have been through the room, bathrooms having an increase in dirtiness, dirty clothes accumulating, regardless of if you have the laundry pack, and a hamper to drop them in to tidy up, more weeds in the garden, a patch of lawn that needs mowing every 5-7 days, swimming pools that need cleaning, especially in Autumn, pots and pans accumulate from cooking, and need to be scrubbed and washed...

I am not sure the toggle would work as the player may not want the entire household to behave in this manner. To get it to affect individual Sims I think a trait would be the most helpful.
    edited February 2020

It would only work if the things to be cleaned weren't dirty. Otherwise, even Sims without the neat trait will get a bad moodlet from the dirty object and wave their arms complaining about it. (I had Sims constantly complaining about something dirty at one point. It drove me batty, trying to find the problem. It turned out to be a pile of ash right next to the wall, where I couldn't see it.) And the maids are worthless.

One idea would be to allow Sims to do 'maintenance' cleaning that keeps items from ever getting to the point of gross. So, if your neat Sim cleans the toilet every day, whether it's dirty or not, it never gets that green cloud of disgusting.

I’d definitely like the trait, if it were to ever exist, to behave sort of how you said...“maintenance cleaning”. I don’t want things to have to be grungy or visibly dirty to be cleaned. I, personally, wouldn’t be opposed to there being a 3rd degree neatness trait for sims w/ OCD. They can wash their hands repeatedly was things repeatedly and even have it generate buffs of extreme discomfort and dry skin/hands from cleaning too much.

So the traits would be in these level:
    - Neat (the trait as it already is)
    - Neat Freak (a place for everything and everything in its place; full residential cleanup/maintenance)
    - OCD (sims NEED to repeatedly turn lights off/on, wash hands, bathe, wash clothes, organize books on a bookshelf, clean desks...all random per sim w/ condition/trait. Player would only know what they need by looking at the buffs to say what’s making them uncomfortable. Example - a buff is at a 5+ level and says, “THE LIGHTS!!! I FORGOT THE LIGHTS!!!” Player can turn on/off the lights until the buff goes away. No sims should be able to die from the buffs generated by OCD.) 🤗
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,707 Member
    Yes to more chores. In addition to your excellent suggestions @lexlennon I'd also like to see mowing grass.