Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

First experiences with The Sims (20th birthday)

Comments

• MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    I picked up all of the Sims on sale soon after my husband got out of the hospital with a serious illness. I lost 2 Sims in a fire, and after that I had my Sims read the cookbook before they did anything else. I got a cat for the first Sim I created, but couldn't figure out how to feed it -- there wasn't any food at the pet store. Luckily, when Grim came to take the cat, he gave in to my Sim's pleading, and then I discovered there was a whole section on pets. To this day, my husband teases me about killing the cat.
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    I tried aging up my favourite sim, Brandi, and her wife via CAS cheats. As soon as I left CAS, both of them died. I'm still mad at myself nearly two years later.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • PearLadyPearLady Posts: 207 Member
    My first "surprise" was probably that I actually enjoyed (and still enjoy) playing the game when I thought it looked like a "silly kid's game" in the store. I love discovering easter eggs in the game, like the nods to developers and things in past games, etc. in the object texts. :smiley:
    Don't anger the fruit. It may make her toot (at you). ;)
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    when i played sims 4 the first time i started a legacy. also my first. the male colin forbes wanted a stove real bad so he annoyed me til i caved. after that he lived 10 minutes after that. i brought him back and his future wife nyla stood on the lot til he agreed to marry her. then when she died his first thought was i need to pee. the gr glitched when he died as old man so he died 6 times not counting day 1.
  • MaWhilMaWhil Posts: 29 Member
    I started playing TS1 when i was about 10 years old maybe. One sim was cooking and they started a fire. I had another sim in the household, but I didn't know how to switch to her in order to call 911. So my sim ended up dying because I couldn't figure out the controls. Another noob mistake, another sim was in a pool but I didn't have a ladder so he drowned because he couldn't climb out.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    EA_Mai wrote: »
    And as I opened the topic... I should answer myself!

I remember my first steps as a builder in The Sims. I had this obsession with creating 'flying houses'! I'd place a lot of columns in the lot, build a house on top, and then delete all the columns with move_objects. Past young me found it hilarious so I did it with most of my builds :smiley:

You too, eh? I forget where I learned about it, but tried and found it worked. Not obsessed, but did build several of them. Also discovered that could do it as a 2nd floor and then delete the 1st floor walls. Also built them in TS2, discovering the flying house makes for a great backyard shelter when it rains. Maybe it's time to try it again in TS4.
  • lollagelollylollagelolly Posts: 1 New Member
    My first experience with the sims was when I was really young and I remember literally not knowing how to play, this was sims 2 on the ps2. I believe I was m have 6 or 7 at the time and ever since then I loved the sims and the whole aspect of it. The idea that you can simulate life in many ways has always been intriguing personally and that's why I love the sims. When I was 10 or 11 I had the sims 3 on my Xbox and I spent all day and all night on the game, I loved creating households and building houses, having sims being brought back home because of curfew and being robbed. It's simple things in the sims that I love and I guess that is why I love the sims 4, I have had the sims 4 since I was 12 on the ps4, I had it pre ordered and all my family planned out, storylines included. I was so excited for the release on the ps4 because I had seen the sims 4 on YouTube for a couple years prior to the console version release. Sims 4 has also been a way out for me to, I have been able to simulate the perfect life and do things that I haven't been able to in real life, which is why I love the game so much, you can do almost anything and it's amazing. When my younger brother got put onto life support in 2017 for the first time, sims was the only game that took my mind off of things and the way the game is structured to have endless possibilities really helped, it's impossible to have nothing left to do on the sims, if you complete an aspiration, pick another one to complete, if you max out a skill, start focusing on another, it's so easy to fall in love with the sims with just the base game alone.

My favourite memory on the sims was actually with my family last year, we had the sims 4 downstairs on the ps4 connected to our TV and my step mum and dad asked me to create them on the sims 4, which I did, then we messed around a bit making them look hilarious, then they asked if they could have a pet each... So my step mum created a nice husky malamute mixed breed, all nice and friendly.... Then there was my dad... Who created his "killer dog" which was a Yorkshire terrior, with traits such as aggressive, it was so funny and what made it even funnier was I left the room for 4 minutes to go help my sister in the kitchen and heard my step mum laughing with my dad because they had managed to drown my step mum's sim in the pool and had my dad's "killer dog" attacking a random sim who was trying to welcome the sims to the neighbourhood, honestly it was so funny.

Which is nice that the sims 4 is actually great for family's to bond over too and have a laugh with, as well as creating opportunities for creativity and happiness in people to increase.
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,223 Member
    edited February 2020
    I remember something about sims 3, a birthday cake and accidentally aging up a sim twice. I think I had the wrong one selected when I went to Age Up. I was going to get her pregnant, but since she ended up as an elder, that obviously didn''t happen.
    image.png
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I learned how to play Sims from boys I was babysitting or boys who joked about drowning their sims in pools at lunch. Despite the stereotype of it being a "girly game", I literally learned about it from boys. One was so moody about not wanting to share his household with me that he basically cried. (He was a little kid and didn't want me messing up his house in the game. I had to play the tutorial Newbies.) His mom wanted to know why he was so worked up so I played the tutorial with her watching. I bothered my parents to get the game eventually.

Anyway, I remember playing it off and on in different places including in several different countries. I was surprised when I realized that I could buy sims games in these different cities and that the game was popular in those places too. It means that I got back into the game when I lived in a few different cultures. It was a good way to spend a quiet night in.

In TS1, I just made random different households. I don't tend to make a lot of mistakes. I've mentioned the time in TS2 that a sim died by getting hit by lightning in the shower because I forgot to roof that part of the house. I'll try to think of any other major mistakes that I haven't shared already.

It's not really a mistake but I've mentioned this but I ended a relationship with someone who made fun of my playing the game. That person used to say really judgmental things but then would go off to play some online pool or billiards game. "This is me interacting with other people." I mean, I ultimately ended that situation but I could have done so sooner. That attitude toward the game was a sign of other issues.

Now, I'm much happier and in a no judgement zone. I really don't think I make a lot of mistakes with gameplay other than maybe other poorly chosen roofing situations. Err, I could have ended that real life gameplay sooner but then I would not be where I am now, which is a good place.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • AlwaysAskingAlwaysAsking Posts: 1,403 Member
    I started with Sims 1. I think it was 2003ish. I was so confused by the game that I ended up with the user name I still use now. 😅

I was on the forum constantly asking how to do every little thing. The best question I remember asking was how to answer the phone when it was ringing. 😳😅

(For you youngsters, the phones were attached to the walls back then. 😉 😂 )

I can't even remember what the answer was. I seriously think that it was "click on it" 😂

But yeah, that's how hopeless I was 🙄
    SqxdF0m.png

Gallery ID is ARIANNANEAL
  • Lemon405Lemon405 Posts: 163 Member
    I started with Sims 1, and spent many a day accidentally (totally on purpose) placing rugs and paintings too close to lit fireplaces, hosting parties with indoor fireworks, and providing surprise flamingo dancers to amuse Bob Newbie.

I still have all my Sims 1-3 games, packs, and books, probably a few game saves too.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited February 2020
    I remember my first death in the Sims was putting a rocket ship in the Newbie household and just watching the house burn. I've been a pyro deviant Simmer of the Sims and still playing with their alternative universe forms with Bob and Eliza Pancakes 18 years later since I didn't start playing until 2002 with the Sims Deluxe. I was a teenager at the time and I was playing SimTower and SimCity before that. Had I known about it a year before I would have played it sooner just been old enough to play it. I saw this trailer on television and being a SimCity player already I was intrigued.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yLpvhNfoWA

I did make my first SelfSim with the Sims Body Shop and it was scary. I didn't use mods until the Sims 2 and my first mod was running with scissors and first modding site was modthesims2.com.

I still own and my disks work except on Windows 10 with the Sims Deluxe, the Sims Vacations, and the Sims Superstar. I didn't join the Sims community with chatting and everything until 2015 with the Sims 4 and thankfully came across and made friends through the family play thread and BobSquad. SimGuruBChick was the first CM I met even though she was a temp one and was very welcoming to me.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,894 Member
    edited February 2020
    I would have still been at school (teenager) when Sims first came out and my good friend’s Dad (who also happened to be my Mums boss at the time, I think) introduced Mum and I to the game. It wasn’t release day, but there were no expansion packs, yet.
    We have collected most (not all) of the expansions for TS1, 2, 3 and 4.
    I still play (TS4) quite a bit, though there are long periods I’ll go without playing.
    Mum doesn’t really play any more, but enjoys the occasional build, or maybe CAS.

I’ve had to beg for and otherwise obtain quite a few new computers in order to keep the latest running :D
    Right now my laptop is far from flash, but I’m finishing up a degree in RL so can’t afford a gaming rig as a student.

I even vaguely remember my younger brother wondering what it was all about and spending an afternoon drowning, imprisoning , starving and otherwise torturing (and killing) Sims. I think that was TS3 when death by swimming pool was easier/still worked.
    These days he plays on console. He has a Simself and all {which is something’s I haven’t really done, ever}

Right now I am loving some rotational play, though one household has three toddlers (which were an awesim update but are difficult in groups).

I just realised I have gone through three Lifestages and four iterations as a Simmer. :o
    (assuming I can be called/considered an Adult, lol)
    Post edited by NRowe on
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    Happy anniversary to The Sims franchise!

I was playing SFP in 2014 and other players kept talking about this PC sims game that you could recolor almost anything in the game any color in the rainbow. When I heard sims I thought of building cities and wasn’t interested. But finally realized it wasn’t cities, it was SFP on steroids! Bought Sims 3, got addicted to Sims 3, still addicted 6 years later.

First mistake? Kicked all the townies out of Sunset Valley so I could play like in SFP where you populate a town with your own sims and control all of them, then added a load of CC. Ruined my first save. But learned from it and moved on!
  • coolsim9999999coolsim9999999 Posts: 5,085 Member
    edited February 2020
    @EA_Mai ---very fun idea :)!

In September 2015, I started to play TS4 --- I built a very small house for 1 sim who married Travis Scott. Travis aged up to elder in the middle of their wedding ceremony. Shortly after that, my Sim died, and I got the Game Over message.

I did that several times, got better at building, and a month later, I built a nice house, which now has 8 floors, but then, it had 1.
    Here's that original house from after only 1 month of Simming in my life!
    Z6xSKZM.jpg
    street view

I have all the TS4 packs.
    I bought TS3 in November 2016, and I have most of the packs.

Here’s to many more Sims birthdays <3!!!
    Post edited by coolsim9999999 on
    4kkjdXo.png

• divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    edited February 2020
    Happy 20th Birthday @TheSims! I've been a Simmer for almost 11 years now. I remember the first time I played The Sims 1 at the age of like 12 and I had no idea how to build, so I asked my uncle to build the house (much to his annoyance, lol). I thought this whole simulation thing was amazing! Then I got TS2 for PS2 and I was amazed by how the game evolved over the years (the interactions between Sims were absolutely hilarious and the graphics improved a lot) and when I played The Sims 3, I was such a noob. The toddler was taken away by social services because I didn't give him a high chair or crib and the babysitter didn't know how to take care of him without those objects. When the parents returned from their outing, they came home to find their toddler taken away and they still had to pay the babysitter! Fun times....😂
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I was playing in Easter 2000. I remember moving into number 6 Sim Lane and trying everything out for the first time. I thought that it was cool that day would turn to night but I had trouble with Sim’s motives.

In the end one Sim passed out at the top of the stairs. Other Sims could not get passed and would point at them. I thought that they was laughing at them and saw it as a bit of humour in the game but things got sour when kids started missing school and ended up being sent to military school. I always wondered if they would come back!

I was also terrified of Sims starting fires so learnt to get Sims to read up on their cooking skill as soon as possible.

Also when Sims got tired and hungry they would wave at you. I thought that they was waving at their neighbours lol
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited February 2020
    My first serious boyfriend when I was a teen had a really fun mom. And she loved The Sims. One day I was hanging out at their home and she insisted I should play the game. I was immediately hooked. I had played videogames my whole life but nothing like The Sims, I knew right then and there that that was going to be my favourite game ever.
    Then, a couple of years later, the trailer for The Sims 2 came out and words can't describe how excited I was when I saw the different lifestages and the female pregnant sim. I still get goosebumps when I see that trailer.
    I leave it here in case you are newer to the game or forgot about it after so many years.

https://youtu.be/t9u1zMCos8w
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    My first serious boyfriend when I was a teen had a really fun mom. And she loved The Sims. One day I was hanging out at their home and she insisted I should play the game. I was immediately hooked. I had played videogames my whole life but nothing like The Sims, I knew right then and there that that was going to be my favourite game ever.
    Then, a couple of years later, the trailer for The Sims 2 came out and words can't describe how excited I was when I saw the different lifestages and the female pregnant sim. I still get goosebumps when I see that trailer.
    I leave it here in case you are newer to the game or forgot about it after so many years.

https://youtu.be/t9u1zMCos8w

It is a shame that TS2 did not look exactly like that as it was said that a lot was 'lost' during a fire at EA but watching it again it is interesting about how 'adult' things really where back then. The Sims 1 really did play on those adult themes alot as well but it was still subtle.

I do feel that one problem with TS4 was that it has vered 'towards the left' in favour of appealing to younger players but you got to look at how old most people where when they first played The Sims 20 years ago and have actually aged 20 years and are longing for something that would be more adult yet still Sims friendly
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    edited February 2020
    My first sim memory is the klapaucius cheat. It was a hard one to remember for spelling reasons and because you had to add !;!;!;!; to get your moneys. I also remember the fear in my heart everytime I used the move objects cheat to delete my sim while sitting on a chair so I could refill their needs, sometimes they came back, and sometimes they did not :o My most loving memory were those sweet little magical gnomes doing all the gardening and drinking from the winepresses singing loudly while having a swim in them :) I loved my sims 1, got all of the expansions for that one, sure wish I could play it again, but unfortuanatly these days no more cd roms in laptops :(
  • MirichaMiricha Posts: 470 Member
    edited February 2020
    I've been playing since 2000. I saw a review of Sims 1 in a magazine and begged my mother to buy it for me. I was about 12/13 years old. I remember reading the rather sizeable manual that came with it on the drive home from the shop, and reading the funniest bits aloud to my mother. My friends would come round and we would play together, making ourselves. The burglar music used to creep me out so much! I was also a bit freaked out by the strange messages you'd get through the phone sometimes. I discovered mods and CC, and the Sims online community. I also learnt an important lesson: never let a Sim cook if they have no cooking skill (I still stick to this rule, even now!).

My friend got Sims 2 before me, and let me borrow it one weekend. I played nonstop, then rushed out to get my own copy so I could keep playing. I couldn't believe how far the game had come. I remember creating a mother and child who promptly burnt to death in a fire, and that's when I first saw the funny messages that occurred when your entire family died.

It's crazy to think I've spent 20 years of my life playing this series!
    Post edited by Miricha on
    수리수리마수리 수수리 사바
    my new simblr
    lWAXrDZ.png
  • pinkishpinkish Posts: 693 Member
    I started playing when the first Sim City came out, so when the Sims came along I had to try it.
    I love the fact it has become a game we have passed to 3 generations so far.
    I play, then my daughter played, and now my granddaughter is playing.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I first heard about The Sims in the Creatures usenet group - many people had tried the game and liked it, and one of our best modders had gone over. I gave it a try, and I've been hooked 20 years.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I started playing sims 1 when it first came out I was 9 at the time. My favourite thing back then was sending them away on holiday as the holiday car would drive to the house to pick them up. I also loved sending them to the magic town too to play on the fun fair rides I loved the clown ones.

My biggest surprise was in sims 3 when my sims house burnt down and one of my sims died from a meteor shower. It upset me that much I exited my game without saving it and then it happened again anyway when I reloaded the game.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    My ex-wife had The Sims for her PS2 and I got into it. Then I moved onto TS Bustin Out.

TS4 is my first sims game for the PC and it's incredibly addictive and helps me unwind and relax. My favourite feature is the clubs system as it makes skills, aspirations and relationships so much easier to achieve.