Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Have you stopped playing TS4, how long, and why?

Comments

• FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    1 year
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    thecatsred wrote: »

No, I don't have the energy to find mods for sims three that don't make the sims absolutely terrifying to look at. Plus that game ran terribly with all expansions.
    I suppose you mean you don’t have the energy to pull some sliders and make an effort :p Art style is a matter of taste and I’m all for different opinions, but how on earth is for instance my avatar sim ‘terrifying to look at’ :D I wouldn’t have a problem marrying terrifying, that’s for sure.

I'm sorry, but yeah no. The sims 3 artstyle was awful. I had to use skin mods. All new hair mods. Eye mods. Clothing mods. I don't want to make you sad but the sim in your avi is still creepy looking and doing that uncanny territory thing that sims 3 kept toeing the line at. That's why it's freaky to me. And that's why I hated it. And continue to hate it. I love sims 4 and the cartoony style. It reminds me of sims 2, but updated in a way that's really pleasing.

Like... Link's Awakening. Cartoony, but really comfortable to look at.

Also - at the end of my post I said I spend 80% of my time in CAS. I'm perfectly fine moving sliders around and making an effort. I have well over 50 unique hand-made sims that all look very different from each other. Character making is my hobby and I'm good at it. Sims 3's models were just ugly.
    Lol, that doesn't make me sad, I just seriously can't see how he's creepy myself :D (no, Sims 3's models aren't 'just ugly', they apparently are to you but for me they are still the best in the franchise; my own that is). And since he's in my game living his life, everything's fine ;)

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate people preferring different art styles. Not too fond of Sims 4's sims myself (only when I make them really cartoony), nor sims in 2. I just don't understand why, when people are discussing the games, I'd have to mention that all the time. But that's me. Funny thing is that I find a lot of the CC I see creepy (especially for Sims 3 actually). My sim does have a custom skin btw.

We'll have to take your word for your CAS skills ;) I just notice many people struggle with the puffy look.

I'm with you. I really prefer the Sims 3 art style -- there's just something appealing about it to me. Sims 4 is a bit too stylized for my taste. It's funny how people's tastes are just so different.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited February 2020
    6 months
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    If I am going to play an game for 8 hours I do not want to play where it gets boring quickly and I never cringed at how my Sims looked as and my Sims looked fine on all my high end systems and I had posted it is more than an artstyle that makes the game for me and not one part. :)

I spend most of my time in CAS. Vanilla sims 3 sims look like greasy potatoes even on high end systems. Only a metric ton of CC will fix that, and even then... is painting over something nasty really fixing it, or hiding it?

"Vanilla sims 3 sims look like greasy potatoes even on high end systems" is subjective as you can only speak for yourself and not for every system people own. I admit the SIms s amy not be all perfect but for me as I stated in all my posts I overlook that as I am into features, gameplay which lets me enjoy the game moreso than Sims 4. Another thing there are games on the market that has the retro look added to them and they are ever so popular as people who do play such game are interested in gameplay as well for features as an example. How one perceives their sims looks is subjective for if you cring someone else may not for most do have differentations expectations of what they want out the games they play. I expected more from Sim 4 as it was the next and newest version and for me I was disappointed and I would not go Gaga over an program that does not wow me even if the graphics are nice for I would go to arthouse if Iwant to be entertained.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2020
    2 years or longer
    Felicity wrote: »

No, I don't have the energy to find mods for sims three that don't make the sims absolutely terrifying to look at. Plus that game ran terribly with all expansions.
    I suppose you mean you don’t have the energy to pull some sliders and make an effort :p Art style is a matter of taste and I’m all for different opinions, but how on earth is for instance my avatar sim ‘terrifying to look at’ :D I wouldn’t have a problem marrying terrifying, that’s for sure.

I'm sorry, but yeah no. The sims 3 artstyle was awful. I had to use skin mods. All new hair mods. Eye mods. Clothing mods. I don't want to make you sad but the sim in your avi is still creepy looking and doing that uncanny territory thing that sims 3 kept toeing the line at. That's why it's freaky to me. And that's why I hated it. And continue to hate it. I love sims 4 and the cartoony style. It reminds me of sims 2, but updated in a way that's really pleasing.

Like... Link's Awakening. Cartoony, but really comfortable to look at.

Also - at the end of my post I said I spend 80% of my time in CAS. I'm perfectly fine moving sliders around and making an effort. I have well over 50 unique hand-made sims that all look very different from each other. Character making is my hobby and I'm good at it. Sims 3's models were just ugly.
    Lol, that doesn't make me sad, I just seriously can't see how he's creepy myself :D (no, Sims 3's models aren't 'just ugly', they apparently are to you but for me they are still the best in the franchise; my own that is). And since he's in my game living his life, everything's fine ;)

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate people preferring different art styles. Not too fond of Sims 4's sims myself (only when I make them really cartoony), nor sims in 2. I just don't understand why, when people are discussing the games, I'd have to mention that all the time. But that's me. Funny thing is that I find a lot of the CC I see creepy (especially for Sims 3 actually). My sim does have a custom skin btw.

We'll have to take your word for your CAS skills ;) I just notice many people struggle with the puffy look.

I'm with you. I really prefer the Sims 3 art style -- there's just something appealing about it to me. Sims 4 is a bit too stylized for my taste. It's funny how people's tastes are just so different.
    And can't help it, your avatar girl looks absolutely stunning to me. I have no idea with what mindset I could see that differently.
    If I am going to play an game for 8 hours I do not want to play where it gets boring quickly and I never cringed at how my Sims looked as and my Sims looked fine on all my high end systems and I had posted it is more than an artstyle that makes the game for me and not one part. :)

I spend most of my time in CAS. Vanilla sims 3 sims look like greasy potatoes even on high end systems. Only a metric ton of CC will fix that, and even then... is painting over something nasty really fixing it, or hiding it?

"Vanilla sims 3 sims look like greasy potatoes even on high end systems" is subjective as you can only speak for yourself and not for every system people own. I admit the SIms s amy not be all perfect but for me as I stated in all my posts I overlook that as I am into features, gameplay which lets me enjoy the game moreso than Sims 4. Another thing there are games on the market that has the retro look added to them and they are ever so popular as people who do play such game are interested in gameplay as well for features as an example.
    I've played them vanilla for 4 years and the funny thing is: I can't stand any custom skin on the guys and girls I played back then. The qualification 'greasy potatoes' does reveal some difficulty in the slider department though.

(I suggest we go back on topic btw, sorry for the irrelevant side path)
    5JZ57S6.png
    6 months
    Hmmm, never paid attention to Sims 3 artstyle as I never looked at graphics as an sole reason for disregarding an game as I look at artstyle, gameplay as well as features as an whole. Sims 4 only has artstyle going for it and not so much the gameplay and features and for those reasons I can disregard Sims 4 as average game and not something I would go Gaga over. Heck even Sims 2 as old as it is outmatches Sims 4 for me. Another thing about Sims 4 it does not scale to what the system possesses and for me that is sad and unfortunate and is my opinion and mine alone. SIms 4 could have been GOTY for me if it expanded on what Sims 3 had and used the technology that is available and also tweak when the game need tweaking. another thing Sims 3 is an older program and SIms 4 is an newer program and it is hardly pushed to it's limits so I find the experience in Sims 4 less appetizing for me.
    Me neither in the beginning, when I played on medium settings. Looks really wasn't what got me hooked. But ever since I play highest settings and they started to pay more attention to making the worlds beautiful, I find myself taking thousands and thousands of screenshots while playing. I must love the art style I guess :p But yeah, it wouldn't matter if the game was a bore. But I can't deny their looks do matter to me. Which is why I'm nervous for the revelation of parafolk... I guess I'm just lucky. I love Sims 3's looks, I love the game ánd it runs like a charm.

I agree with you for I was more into the gameplay and features and was glad to have some high end systems to play. The same was for me with SIms 2 which has aged but it's gameplay for me was outstanding. I never look at how they looked as it was not on the top of list for enjoying an game.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    edited February 2020
    2 years or longer
    Why have you stopped?
    Many reasons, too many to list here, but the most important things are thats it's boring, empty, limited, claustrophobic, no Create a Style, no Open World, the sims look cartoony, have silly walk styles, they smile constantly and behave like idiots, and they don't evoke any other feelings in me than embarrassment on their behalf, the colors are exaggerated and completely unreal etc. etc.

Have you purchased any expansion, GP or stuffed packs?
    No, only the base game on a sale a couple of years after it was released.

Do you play any other iterations regularly?
    YES, the Sims 3!!! <3<3<3

Are you interested in a TS5?
    Maybe, providing that it turns out to be a lot better than TS4.
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    2 years or longer
    Why have you stopped?
    Lost hope on the development of the game. The Sims 4 made me realize maybe I was being not fair with The Sims 3 at the time and now it made me appreciate that game much more!

No. I watched gameplays, reviews and I tried in friends games and every single time I felt it was not worth it!

Now Im playing The Sims 1 but usually I play The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 a lot!

The Sims 5 was the last tiny hope I had but with the recent multiplayer news that is gone completely. I feel like this franchise changed so much that it isn't the same one anymore.
  • Jon the WizardJon the Wizard Posts: 268 Member
    a few weeks
    I play in spurts. Like, I'll play for a few weeks and then take a few weeks off to avoid burnout.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    @Renato10 how are you getting TS1 to work? Im afraid of buying it and it not playing. I have windows 10
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited February 2020
    a few weeks

I'm sorry, but yeah no. The sims 3 artstyle was awful.

Yes! The sims 3 sims still look sooo ugly to me. It's uncanny valley. I play it a lot but I try not to think about it.

I'm in agreement, somewhat. I don't "hate" the TS3's artstyle, but I had a big problem with how blocky the characters looked, especially the men. It took me a good 10 minutes or so to find a mod that fixes it a bit. But if there's at least one thing TS4 has that I prefer over TS3, it's the character models. If TS5 decides to go for a realistic look again, that's fine now that we know it should look far better than TS3's.

EDIT: Just realized you all were attempting to close this topic. Don't mind me, then.
    edited February 2020
    2 years or longer

I'm sorry, but yeah no. The sims 3 artstyle was awful.

Yes! The sims 3 sims still look sooo ugly to me. It's uncanny valley. I play it a lot but I try not to think about it.

I'm in agreement, somewhat. I don't "hate" the TS3's artstyle, but I had a big problem with how blocky the characters looked, especially the men. It took me a good 10 minutes or so to find a mod that fixes it a bit. But if there's at least one thing TS4 has that I prefer over TS3, it's the character models. If TS5 decides to go for a realistic look again, that's fine now that we know it should look far better than TS3's.

EDIT: Just realized you all were attempting to close this topic. Don't mind me, then.
    My male sims feel insulted now but that’s ok :sunglasses:

As for character models, I actually believe the same person who did that for Medieval did it for Sims 4. I love the approach, but I feel in Sims 4 it gets spoiled by the default facial expressions in the game that makes them all look identical. With a different art style and no cartoony approach (and less identical default expressions) that could deliver great sims.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    edited February 2020
    a few weeks
    Why have you stopped?
    My old laptop couldn't handle the game anymore, it got so laggy that I couldn't play it anymore, I couldn't visit San Myshuno at all, because it froze my game completely, the lag was so severe in there. I had to wait for few weeks before I got a new laptop, it was just before Cats & Dogs came out. It felt like more than few weeks break, I missed the game so much.

Yes, I have all of them.

No. I've never played any earlier Sims games, except Sims Freeplay on mobile.

No. I love Sims 4 and there's so much things to do in this game that I still haven't experienced. I'm not ready to start all over again with another Sims game.
  • DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    No...
  • shorty943pshorty943p Posts: 250 Member
    a few months
    Why have I stopped?
    Bugs, bugs and more bugs. Add a too typical bad attitude by a big Corporation towards we users as icing on the cake.

Have I purchased packs etc?
    All but the latest as all have got successively worse and lower quality.

Do I play other iterations?
    I wish my PC would be nice and runs good old reliable Sims 2 for me.

Am I interested in Sims 5?
    Not if this edition is any indication of quality of goods or patch services.

EA\Maxis, Lower the priority of AI and Autonomy settings and users might have a chance to actually play and test the game better.
    I have been testing a theory, turn All Autonomy off in game options, All including selected sim. Then try to play the game again.

NOTE. I said, Try to play the game.

I believe ingame AI and Autonomy settings are overriding user command queue, and even deleting user commands. This is so WRONG.
    Until then, I think I shall go back to something more enjoyable than trying to play this game.
    Like banging my head on a ROCK.
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    a few months
    True, very bored with gameplay. As Youtuber, Carl from Carl Sims Guided pointed out this week, It's tiring to have to control everything with Sims and movement in the game. For example, my Sim keeps going outside and changing into different clothes to talk to her plant or on the computer every time I check in. Wouldn't it be nice to check in and see that the Sims got some kind of interesting action going on such as on a date, having an active meeting with other Sims or dancing at a club? Or even arguing with a friend,etc.?

Then, finally bored with mostly building of places, homes, and styling Sims in CAS. A change of color swatches in build and an update with hair colors and more jewelry in CAS via patch would help. Though enhancing gameplay would help even more to make it interesting.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • DaeneliaDaenelia Posts: 757 Member
    I've stopped playing each sims game, well, except for The Sims 2, and 1. And I did return to The Sims 3 when I discovered that mids MAKE the game work instead of breakin it (at the time, when I reported a broken game issue/bug I was told to take out mods and custom content ... when I did not have any! Then I had an epiphany: get a mod to make the game bugless.). - Yes I am not happy with the support from sims 3 onwards. Dont know about sism 4 because that has been a disappointment from day 1. Never tried to get support. Just stopped playing.
    I am not playing now. I tried again a few weeks back. Had a great idea, ended up with my sims boring me to tears. Because even when you try to make them different, they just dont do fun things. It's repetative.

I did not get all the stuff and expansions and gamepacks. I dont even know which ones I have. The only one I got mildly excited about was Get Famous and that disappointed me too. That and the base game are the only two I got at full price. I wait for sales and buy one thing that I hope will be nice. And ... it does not hold my attention. There are also packs I will never ever get, because I already see them as nuissances. Laundry, toddlers, pets ... it's just wasting time.

I keep hoping there will be some people involved in TS4 that understand storytelling. Both how to tell the Sims 4 stories to us and make us care, but also give us as players enough to take those stories and run with them. Right now, there is nothing inspiring. And dont make sims do random stuff.

My favorite game would be TS2 or 3. I'd play those if I could be bothered to find the mods that made them playable. I do not have them on my current machine.

I am not interested in sims 5, I think i fell out of love with the sims. I currently try to get back in to building, but tbh ... that too only seems worthwile if I get cc.
    Dae's Sims 4 Houses -see what I've been building.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    I stopped actual playing for several weeks but am still building and using CAS for Sims to fill my houses. I'm filling every world with furnished houses and my Sims before playing it. The trouble is that each new pack makes me want to re-furnish again. :smile:

Saying you are bored with it when you only have a couple of packs seems rather a silly comment to me.
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    6 months
    Simburian wrote: »
    I stopped actual playing for several weeks but am still building and using CAS for Sims to fill my houses. I'm filling every world with furnished houses and my Sims before playing it. The trouble is that each new pack makes me want to re-furnish again. :smile:

Saying you are bored with it when you only have a couple of packs seems rather a silly comment to me.

Wait so someone who has all packs can only have an opinion on the game? Am I understanding that correctly? Those who started playing got a pack or two and then discovered that the games wasn't for them have just as much of a valuable opinion of the game as those who bought all packs. The base of the game itself hasn't changed much over the past 5 years.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    1 year
    And I mean regularly play, not a quick session to check out the game after some time.

Why have you stopped?

I've stopped because the base game isn't fun, and I think the expansions and stuff packs don't fix whats missing for me.
    It's been about 2+ years for me.
    I own the camping GP.
    I regularly play the sims 3 and the sims 2. I wish I could play TS1, but I can't get it to play on my computer.
    I'm interested in TS5, but I only hope it will be a good game

I've quit for about a year now.

Why? Because the game has no depth to offer. The sims all feel and play the same. There's no consequences, personality, and the situational outfit thing is annoying and game-breaking for me. It annoys me when sims can't dance facing each other, or half the time even just talk facing each other. The sims are beautiful but boring. The worlds are beautiful, but boring.
    There is no "togetherness" in this game. They can't do anything "together".

I've kept up with purchasing content at 1/2 price, and have checked out the game occasionally.

I don't play other iterations.

And no, I am not interested in sims 5.
    edited February 2020
    6 months
    Oops Middle of reediting

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2020
    2 years or longer
    I have health problems so when I can play a game like this franchise TS4 isn't worth my time and trouble.
    It has out lived itself. These Sims are shallow, no depth, all the same, just a different hair, body type,etc.
    Yes, I have some GPs and EPs. GTW,GT, OR, DO, Vampires, SpaDay, KidsStuff,MovieStuff,PH.

I stated at the time when they got around to toddlers I would support the game out of some sense of misplaced loyalty, so I bought a few packs more. Many family players said that. After toddlers, the last pack I purchased was Parenthood. I uninstalled TS4 in 2017 almost three years ago. TS4's shallow, lackluster gameplay, direction, attitiude of company, attitude of some players to those who aren't happy, problems with Origin, slap happy programming in EPs and GPs or even stuff packs, the reoccurring bugs, the changes they continue to make with each patch that take away a feature, and the general attitude we all have to be wrong because TS4 is the best....pile all that on with my health problems and TS4 isn't worth it.

With my health problems it is not worth the trouble to even load it when there are two other games that did everything better in so many more deeper ways.

Yes I still have 2 and 3 installed and will never uninstall them. Yes, I'm interested in TS5, it's why I stay engaged here, because we can sort of get an idea of what they might do by what they do in TS4 for better or worse.

No, I do not play regularly but if I load a game to play, it would be the TS2 but that may be several weeks or months apart now. It would still be TS2 once you look around at everything in TS4 by reading posts, pack info, mistakes, excuses, direction of game etc. I did my little part, I helped get it off the ground by supporting it, but I'm sure they don't expect die hard fans of TS2 to keep it going five more years, as we can see our ideas are never implemented and instagram popularity ideas are. We know we aren't who they want to play these games anymore. We are too much of sticklers for detail.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SkullloverSkulllover Posts: 110 Member
    edited February 2020
    2 years or longer
    I stopped because I get bored. Every now and then I check out an update and same thing. The sims also do not follow any command. I do not want to have to turn aunotamy off for my sim to listen.

And as rarely as I do play, there is a bug. And I don't play often enough to be noticing bugs.

Sims also have the same personality. Even being friendly right after a fight, why do I want to play a game that has no distinct features about it?

I have patio stuff and spa day. They do nothing to interest me. Welp the yoga mat did for a day when I first played.

I play two and three regularly. I mainly play two right now as I just got it a couple months ago (if that) for pc and I am exploring.

No, I will be honest. Sims 4 killed my interest for sims 5. I see the future of sims 5 being a multiplayer game lacking any good content except for it behind a pay wall.

The stuff packs I noticed have features that really should be in the base game. Parenting should be base game material. Weather (or at least rain) should be by now. And expansions should expand on that.

I do not want to and won't pay for the same thing over and over when it somehow is worse than the last iteration. Especially when I think the bare minumum is being done because "they'll buy it anyway".

I have other sims games to keep me happy, I will play them instead.
    Post edited by Skulllover on
    edited February 2020
    2 years or longer

Wait so someone who has all packs can only have an opinion on the game? Am I understanding that correctly? Those who started playing got a pack or two and then discovered that the games wasn't for them have just as much of a valuable opinion of the game as those who bought all packs. The base of the game itself hasn't changed much over the past 5 years.
    A basegame shouldn't be boring and when you have a bunch of packs you should get the picture of the game I'd say. Besides, people here are merely answering a question. Don't quite see how that can be silly, answering a question. I do think people who own all packs and are bored have a more thorough view on the matter than someone like me who lacks the experience of quite a few packs. There is a reason though why some of us stopped buying, I used to preorder everything in the past.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member

The base game should be fun on its own and any DLC should just be a bonus. Besides, since ive only bought the base game at discount, OR at 50% and now at this point there are so many features that were supposed to be exclusives from other expansions,gp, or stuff pack I get to enjoy for free!

And yet it still feels like an empty game because I dont feel like the sims have personality.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • SkullloverSkulllover Posts: 110 Member
    2 years or longer

The base game should be fun on its own and any DLC should just be a bonus. Besides, since ive only bought the base game at discount, OR at 50% and now at this point there are so many features that were supposed to be exclusives from other expansions,gp, or stuff pack I get to enjoy for free!

And yet it still feels like an empty game because I dont feel like the sims have personality.

I do agree. The base game should ve fun on its own. It should be a thing you enjoy and not have to buy packs to enjoy. (Packs should still wxpand on gameplay however and be fun too.)

I feel like sims being the same is the number one complaint. I hope EA is reading this thread and taking notes.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    2 years or longer
    I don't think I've really played since Get Famous. Since packs are by design instant gratification, there really is no point to play a new pack more than a couple of hours, enough to see all of it and move on.

When they do try to make you work more to get something, it's so dreadful and boring (robotics skill ...) that you can only bypass it altogether if you want to have the tiniest bit of fun still. So even shorter game time !

They keep adding wacky content on top to try and hide the hollow shell of a game we have, but it's really not working.
    We need depth and we're getting everything but.