Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims Multiplayer: Should we be worried?

Comments

• drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    I don't know how I feel about it. There is a mod out there that allows for multiplayer but I haven't had the desire to download and test it out quite yet. but it works on the same save file.

I wouldn't mind having any of you visiting Victoria VanHelsing or Raven Hex or Belladonna Crow.

However, on the other hand, I come up with lots of scenarios meant to amuse and entertain me or just because I am both bored and curious about something. I wouldn't want to inflict some of my scenarios on any of your sims. It's ok for me to inflict a lot of suffering on my own sims. We all have our own individual gameplay and I wouldn't want to interfer with somebody ele's game.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    Hoverael wrote: »
    Hestia wrote: »
    Lately, a news article surfaced from the Sims Community fansite speculating that there might be a possibility of having a multiplayer game for the next sequel of the franchise. The article is short on concrete evidence and with enough critical thinking, it is not short on clickbait. Whilst Andrew Wilson (EA CEO) did answer questions in regards to The Sims franchise, this doesn't necessarily mean that what he said fully explained the future of the game.

Let's dissect it.

Andrew Wilson's statement:
    "Great question on The Sims! The Sims will be 20 next week. That Maxis team and the team that’s been a part of Maxis over the years continue to deliver unbelievably innovative and creative content for a constantly growing Sims community globally. As we think about The Sims – again, I reference the motivations of why we play the games – inspiration, escape, social interaction, creation, self-improvement, competition. Typically what The Sims has done is really focus on fulfilling the motivations and inspiration, escape, creation, self-improvement and not necessarily focus as much as on social interaction and competition.

But a few things are in fact true over the years. One is that the Sims community continues to grow and with the broad of social platforms continue to connect with each other and share what they do – in and around the game they play. And we’ve seen that manifest in The Sims Online which was a more social experience for us. And we’re also seeing that the competitive nature of The Sims is also rising and we’re seeing people compare and contrast. Not competition in an original sports sense but how they create and what they create and how they use their imaginations and what they’re able to build inside of these Sims universes.

As Maxis continues to think about The Sims for a new generation – cross-platforms and a cloud of a neighborhood world, you should imagine while we will always stay true to our inspiration, escape, creation, self-improvement, motivations – that this notion of social interactions and competition like the kind of things that were actually present in The Sims Online many many years ago – that they will start to become a part of The Sims experience in the years to come.

We are very excited. This is a game that really doesn’t have any competition in its category for delivering and fulfilling these motivations for players and we think of the tremendous growth opportunities for us for many many years to come."

The first two paragraphs were lengthy explanations about the entirety of the franchise and a filler per se so that this section of the interview seemed long. It is a PR tactic and commonly used with anyone who is most likely under some form of confidentiality contract OR they simply are not fully sure on the project and they would not like to speak wrongly on behalf.
    "this notion of social interactions and competition like the kind of things that were actually present in The Sims Online many many years ago – that they will start to become a part of The Sims experience in the years to come."

This is the crucial part of the interview that raised many eyebrows and speculations about an online/multiplayer version of The Sims. It is cited in an article that The Sims Online and its “successors” (SimCity Social & The Sims Social) shut down due to how low the player base was. Would EA Games make the same mistake and go down that path again with a possibility of the online multiplayer resource to be left unused by the community? Well, it depends.

For the past several years, EA Games have attempted to push out games in the sense that they will be a success because they are multiplayer AND EA Games made a statement that Single Player games are obsolete. Unfortunately for the company, this was proven wrong multiple times by consistent failure in sales and popularity of their current generation multiplayer games: Anthem, Star Wars: Battlefront 1 & 2, and Battlefield V.

Should the possibility of a multiplayer Sims game in the future be of concern? Maybe, but not as much as it should be.
    As Maxis continues to think about The Sims for a new generation – cross-platforms and a cloud of a neighborhood world

The cross-platform reference could be related to how the gallery works between consoles and PCs now. Furthermore, the "cloud", which is most likely related to the gallery. They might have the future Sims to be cross-platform, to begin with. Seeing as how closely related the console x PC version of The Sims 4 is. Although, if that is the case... I have my own personal doubts on how well the future of The Sims will be if it will become a "true cross-platform" game (possibly playing wherever you want or no matter what device you have), which I will save for another thread in the future. My concerns are not about an always-online game, but the limitations and gameplay potential on a fully-fledged PC version vs a console version of The Sims.

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order Proves EA Wrong, Sells 8 Million Units In Just 1.5 Months

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK1w8K5SuuM

i already answered to this in another thread, why does it need repeating in an echo chamber on a new thread?

i already stated that it was clickbait the further in it gets, it is speculation until EA says it themselves and thinking about something isn't the same as confirming it. I wished Kaechan never brought that flamebait sims media blog up! I'm a bit triggered how the community is reacting and no one is bothering to see the details in the middle as already pointed out.

There is no multiplayer in TS5 until EA say it themselves, if it comes you can worry, but what if there is no multiplayer? Don't make any choices before you have hard facts in hand and not this destructive nonsense. it is just that though, nonsense as there is nothing to it.

Please understand that the main concern and goal of this thread is not about the article being clickbait - that is just touching the surface. It is moreover about EA's business model, their statements, why they focus on multiplayer and CEO Andrew Wilson. I was hoping this was covered enough with how much was explained in the OP. :)
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited February 2020
    Short answer: no. Worrying about it is counterproductive, especially at this stage.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited February 2020
    LiELF wrote: »
    The whole "safe space" thinking, lack of consequences and real danger, making the Sims a Utopian paradise instead of a dramatic Soap Opera, focusing on emotions instead of Traits and skewing them in favor of positivity, lack of crime and obstacles... this all, in my opinion, contributes to dumbing down the game and making it boring in order to avoid "offending" the younger player base, rather than allowing the player base to make those decisions on their own. It's kind of insulting. It's like saying players can't handle reality or failure or life obstacles or things happening out of their control in a video game and putting developers in a position to parent us. It's patronizing and it's not their job to coddle people, it's their job to make a good, solid game.

You know, I do agree with this, but I always wonder how much of that is actually coddling people and 'parenting' them and how much is just really bad game design. Because here's the thing with TS4: I love the game for what it is, but it can't tune things correctly for the life of it. Nothing is ever balanced enough to not feel absent or completely bothersome. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if their beloved, god-sent metrics were telling them that "most people never use negative traits like hates children or jealousy" without realizing that this isn't because we all only want to play with super chilled, non-jealous, children-loving sims, but rather that these negative traits are so awfully tuned that they are just super bothersome to play with...

My adult granny will still socialize with her child, even hug it, but she'll be constantly annoyed by their presence. My jealous sim can't even handle his partner being in another room without going completely haywire. That's just not fun. So the fact that these traits MAY be unpopular in TS4 has much more to do with how the game pushes emotions through traits than whether we'd actually want that kind of diversity. And that is very annoying because it's an erroneous analysis of a super faulty game mechanic that tells them absolutely nothing (as long as they're not asking the right questions).

They rely so much on information that is wrong or just completely irrelevant ... and frankly, when they made that joke about the talking toilet in their last stream, how they thought it was amazing and funny and then everyone hated it. It just makes me feel that these people aren't very in touch with their gaming community. I'm frankly at a loss for where they get some of their ideas from to begin with. And it worries me that so many of the worst gurus in this regard (sorry guys, I know you're just doing your jobs and all, but feedback is feedback) were moved over to develop TS5... It just makes me question how this company operates. I mean, they've been developing this game for so long now, they have the tools they need to make an amazing and fun experience...

But instead, they mostly seem to look at what they think would be cool ("we thought people would like it" "we want people to be able to tell this very specific story" "we, we, we") - and sometimes that may actually match what people want, but it feels almost accidental - instead of taking the thousands of hours of feedbck players, gamechangers and critics have been giving them for years to heart. Insights that appear to just be going to waste.

Sorry, just have to let these feelings out :(

I don't hate this game, I play it a lot. But there's been so many disheartening things about TS4 and hearing they're even considering pushing that online cr** back into the game ... it just makes me have very low hopes for what's next.

• ChambersNChambersN Posts: 227 Member
    I'm not interested in a multiplayer game so if sims 5 does this, first sims I won't buy :(
    Butttt
    Paralives is coming eventually and we shall see !
  • Lemon405Lemon405 Posts: 163 Member
    It’s entirely possible EA ends up making Sims 5 cross platform, with full and “improved” gallery from day 1 with simultaneous releases like other games, and maybe they follow the Minecraft model, of private servers you have the option to invite friends, or open up as you see fit. If they are smart, that’s how they’d handle things and focus on getting the single player back on track. Sorry, but Sims 4 has gone completely off the rails.

They haven’t been very smart though, in almost any instance, so who knows.

It’s fine. They’re going to do what they do and I’ll exercise my right to tell them they are wrong by not buying the crap and returning to previous games, or other franchise games that don’t insist I play with other people.
  • Coop_myloveCoop_mylove Posts: 15 Member
    IF what Andrew Wilson is saying turns out to be true then I am bowing out I admit that I do have an interest in some kind of online engagement but not multiplayer. If you could interact with other sims, say when you go out to the bar, and these other sims are actual people; that could be pretty cool. You can use the interactions provided by the pinwheel or you can ask of the other sim would be interested in a chat. Which could then bring up a messaging box. I like the online idea if they go in that direction.
    To be honest, I really understand what people are meaning when they say sims “multiplayer”. What exactly does that entail? I want to make sure I have a clear head on what everyone think and fear it will be.
    And as far as not purchasing future games because maxis apparently “doesn’t care about its founding fans” (I being a 20 year vet). That doesn’t bother me. It’s kind of pompous but I still buy the games because I want the content. I will stop after TS4 if what everyone is predicting comes true and is a nightmare
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2020
    Someone mentioned it depends on whether we trust Maxis and or how much EA will allow them to do with a new game, and not force multiplayer etc. Well, let's see how much do we trust Maxis?

TS4 was released without toddlers. It took three years or so to get toddlers. The excuse was they wanted to do them right. They turned out good by the way, however, they didn't take what money they had to do them in the first place.

Do we trust Maxis..Maxis has said people who use the forums (mainly, old time players who have been around the last 20 years in my opinion, aren't the vast majority). Maxis has said Instagram (where people Impulse Buy) is the new target.

Maxis has said terrain tools were hard...I guess so..however, all other games had terrain tools from the get go. It had to be a passion project for a guru. No offense, it may have been free, but when it becomes part of the game, and they have to take time away to 'fix' it etc. then it's a reflection on the game...enough said.

Maxis has said dog houses are bad therefore no dog houses..are you trusting them yet. Maxis has said they didn't want to confuse people (how old are we?) by building real working elevators (there is a comment here for reference about this, somewhere).

Maxis built a RPG EP (SV) for The Sims....an open-ended, single player, genre franchise, but the EP/GP not even as open ended as TS3's WA or Ambitions... but a strict, linear pack of click here, go here, do this here, end of story. And said they would Love to do more. EA had nothing to do with that.

Maxis thought KP SweetTreats was going to be a highly desired pack.....

Maxis thought it was a good idea to milk the community with MFP stuff pack. First time ever you had to have an EP to get the benefit of a stuff pack..Moo. You just paid $10 for stuff you couldn't even use (many things). Didn't matter if some objects etc. are not to your liking and would never use them anyway...you got duped.

Maxis has started (for several years in the life of TS4) to start to resell you the same meshes and or objects for more money (or again) just with a different texture or recolor...Moo.
    EA has nothing to do with that.

I could list fifty more reasons why not to trust Maxis and not to blame EA for every little thing that Maxis does own it's own. Maxis came up with Emotions in TS4, not EA.

One more thought, you have more than 30+ packs in the game now? I have no idea, last time I looked it was how many??
    Are we there yet? is it 'complete' full yet? Moo.

ETA: Andrew Wilson's background was in the EA Sports wasn't it? If he thinks people play The Sims series for the competition like in TSO then he gets that info from someone other than players, now, who would tell him that? Who talks to the CEO of what type of game this is and why we play? Maxis.

Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    Well I've been playing since the year 2000 so I'm definitely a long term player. While I am not fond of multiplayer games I don't care if they make a sims game this way. With that said I do hope that there is a sandbox mode if it turns out to be the next Sim Gen game. If not then I probably won't be getting the next Sim game.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited February 2020
    Like a lot of other Simmers, I simply wouldn't buy it. They could continue on in that direction with their new fanbase.
    Sims is literally the only game I play. I don't play RPGs, MORPGs, multiplayer games, none of it. Just not my thing.
    I turned all the online features off for Sims 3 and I play Sims 4 offline unless I am uploading to the gallery.

My daughter plays Minecraft with other people, but she prefers Sims as a single player game. And my boys who do play RPGs and such, don't play Sims.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • M1ss_PlumbumM1ss_Plumbum Posts: 189 Member
    No we shouldn’t be worried. They may add an online feature but I’m positive they won’t change any basic things (like single player mode) that made the game so loved.

Don’t panic.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    No we shouldn’t be worried. They may add an online feature but I’m positive they won’t change any basic things (like single player mode) that made the game so loved.

Don’t panic.

They will because they did that with Sims 4. Sims 4 was intended to be an online multiplayer game, and even then it included a single player mode (which was copied from the online mode). That’s why the tech running the game is very limiting and doesn’t support a lot of things the other games did, and that won’t be any different if they go the same route with the next game.

Don’t put blind faith in EA folks, especially if you aren’t aware that this same fiasco was what almost spelled the end for Sims 4. At the very minimum everyone should expect the next game to continue on the failed vision they had for this game, and that was online multiplayer.
  • RedSunBluesRedSunBlues Posts: 143 Member
    unpopular opinion but im honestly really excited about it. Im also very happy so many people are complaining about it though because there are a lot of way it could turn out horrible. but Ive always liked the idea of being able to play with other people because the sims dont really interact with you besides annoying automated convos that you have to control everything about. But maybe it should just be one world or small servers with different rules and things. The worst thing they could do is add miscrotransactions or other in game purchases. if they dont do any of that and single player is still an option im on board.
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    I don't plan on getting Sims 5 if it's going to be multi-player. I've played plenty of MMORPGs to know how that system works, and have wasted plenty of money on it in the past. I don't want to play a game with thousands of micro-transactions everywhere. If Sims 5 is anything like Sims Mobile, it'll be horrible.

I'm also content with the games I have already anyways, so I really don't need to get Sims 5. If I want really good gameplay that I never get bored of, I'll play Sims 3. If I want beautiful character design and amazing graphics to make my Dungeons and Dragons characters in, then I'll play Sims 4. And if I ever want something new, there's Paralives on the horizon.
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    So_Money wrote: »
    Short answer: no. Worrying about it is counterproductive, especially at this stage.

I don't like to read about Sims5 or even think about it, because Sims4 doesn't have 1/4 content of Sims3 or maybe even less when you consider all the store worlds ECT. They have clarified that Sims4 has several years of content they
    plan to add and have moved all talk of Sims5 to speculation. Also, it has been said that Sims4 won't be in a similar timeline with past Sims games.

However, hearing you say that reminds me of the thoughts I had towards the end of the Sims3 and before we knew what all had been left out of the Sims4. I don't think it hurts to express what you want in a speculation forum for a Sims5 years down the road game, because it could change how they decide to develop the new game when they do decide to start working on it.

I am mixed. I don't like leveling up jobs, relationships, or anything else, so I think I am a sandbox player. I might would like to dabble in a couple of my game saves with multiplayer, but most,96-98%+ would be single player and me controlling all facets like I did in Sims3. Making my own world and controlling everything in it is what I fell in love with the Sims for.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    because the sims dont really interact with you besides annoying automated convos that you have to control everything about.

The Sims in Sims 2 did. They would turn and look at you and make faces or shrug. Their eyes would follow your movements if you made them pose and moved around them. It was creepy and funny at the same time.

Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Hopefully they ll look at what Paralives are doing for single player mode.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member

It's way too soon for that. Paralives has yet to reveal any gameplay. I want it to be good, definitely, but often when something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. The gameplay and the parafolk are going to be the deciding factors for me.

If the devs of Sims 5 need to look in a direction for a great single player mode, they need only reference their own past games.
    #Team Occult
  • slamondaslamonda Posts: 1,357 Member
    im sorta excited i played tso and met a lot nice people there
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

It's way too soon for that. Paralives has yet to reveal any gameplay. I want it to be good, definitely, but often when something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. The gameplay and the parafolk are going to be the deciding factors for me.

If the devs of Sims 5 need to look in a direction for a great single player mode, they need only reference their own past games.
    Yeah not yet. They did share a picture of the dog. They just released this video too showing that color wheel will be available for Parafolks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgQuTYoBosE

Cars and bikes are confirmed in the base game:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdA0Od6mOM8

So far there are just two people working on this game, so the amount of previews and communication shared so far is a nice breath of fresh air.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    The Sims franchise has had a nice run. Twenty years and counting is considered remarkable in this day and age when technology has come as far as it has, and continues to evolve almost daily. If EA/Maxis is seriously considering creating Sims5 as an online game, it won't last. A fad is a fad until it isn't. And everything that was a fad years ago makes it way back into being popular again at one time or another. We see it in fashion, entertainment, home design, even in our food choices. Remember when eggs were considered unhealthy and kale was the new super food? Online gaming fits with other games such as battle royale games, but I don't see it as ever being wildly popular with a game like The Sims. And if EA has their way, Sims5 will be filled with micro-transactions, or quests to unlock new gameplay. It won't resemble a true Sims game at all. And if EA/Maxis believes this will be okay with the parents of the tween fans it should be talking to those parents rather than to the fans that actually pay for new dlc with their own money. I don't purchase loot boxes, or optional assets for any game I play. The only game I purchase dlc for is the Sims games. If EA has plans to force an online version of the Sims on me, with micro-transactions rather than packs being offered, it can count me out. I will have three complete versions to play by then, so why would I ever take a chance on Sims5. Especially after seeing and experiencing what happened with the Sims4.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    What strikes me as rather head-scratching is the fact that every time with the exception of FPS that EA has tried to graft an on-line mode to they’ve failed miserably.

You know that old saying “Stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.” Sandbox games were not meant to be played in a group. Just because we come together in a group to socialize on the forums does not mean that we want others playing within our games. Andrew Wilson needs to understand the demographic of the Sims players community far better than they’ve been reading it for the past six years.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • BimleSimBimleSim Posts: 2,979 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    It's kind of funny -- Sim Guru Drake (or is that former?) said something to the effect that they weren't worried about established players and that we'll buy everything eventually so they're trying to get new players. My reaction to that was twofold. First I was all, "Oh, really?" My second, I haven't bought a pack since then. I've been tempted a couple of times, but whenever I think about that attitude towards loyal customers, it shuts that right down.

Oh wow, what is up with that attitude. Besides, I see lots of people both on the forums and on social media, who are sticking with older iterations, and not touching sims 4, myself included (which I am real happy about now).

As for Sims 5, of course I'm worried. I had (perhaps even have) a small glimmer of hope that it would be a game for me. I have been playing the older iterations for a very long time now, and of course I'd like something new. But if they try to sell yet another shallow and safe-space sims game i'm not interested. And I also have no interest in online multiplayer for a sims game.
  • heyrobertoheyroberto Posts: 47 Member
    I think is interesting having "online features"!
    5zUb897.jpg

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    It's kind of funny -- Sim Guru Drake (or is that former?) said something to the effect that they weren't worried about established players and that we'll buy everything eventually so they're trying to get new players. My reaction to that was twofold. First I was all, "Oh, really?" My second, I haven't bought a pack since then. I've been tempted a couple of times, but whenever I think about that attitude towards loyal customers, it shuts that right down.

Yeah, not the vast majority comment and saying we would buy anyway, made me determined to prove that wrong. They didn't need my money so I uninstalled, stopped playing (not the only reasons) but yeah, PR should really think about what they say. No, sorry Maxis, I'm not a sheep I don't buy eventually not even if on sale. Wrong. And I proved it. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.